Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Colonial Air Force posted:

Or to free up seats if you're United.

Holy toledo, that's a laff and a half haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Inacio posted:

This Star Citizen weirdo asked on Twitter what landing gear this comes from (if it even is real) and now I really want to know

Any guesses? Is it just a dumb prop? I've been trying to figure it out but I don't really even know where to start

Late response, but almost certainly a 3D asset store like turbosquid. Or some poor soul rolled their own. Was originally going to guess Unity Asset Store, but also just found out star citizen is being built with Amazon Lumberyard which is another level of sadness and hilarity.

Edit: Amazon, Lumberyard, boy howdy I'm never going to get over that branding decision.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

That'd be from one of the 90s wing commander games that had FMV. Its a physical prop.

Oh cripes, haha

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The issue is the placement of the engines in the design causing the pitch up attitude, not an actual issue with the operation of the engines.

This Southwest flight had engine performance issues, not related in any way.

That being said.. would love to hear about exactly what this unrelated problem was.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

lol that might be the worst tweet about a fatal crash I've ever seen, and it's from a reporter no less.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

You know how Uber keeps flirting with the idea of some dumbass electric helicopter thing for rich people?

Not sure I trust them with that.

Even better, some poor bastard called his version Lift before Lyft came out and had to clarify the difference constantly during media interviews televised during SXSW. :doh:

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/MaranieRae/status/1346672636835880961?s=20

Hol-ee poo poo...

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

20 years for that.

Got tense when I heard “NOW.” juxtaposed with “these are the people we came to wipe out!”

Was AA, what’s the likelihood of using the manifest and the video to punish any of these people? I would be absolutely horrified if I happened to be on that flight and they deserve it. Worst case cancel the return flight on them and leave em in DC.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Birdstrike? Does CO get lovely geese this time of year?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Plinkey posted:

looks like it bounced off the truck and settled in the yard

Hi, is this Drake from State Farm?

Drake from State Farm posted:

You used to call me on your cell phone
But then an engine cowling fell on your truck
It’s an act of god tho
So go gently caress yourself very much

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

So, I had a bird strike on the way up while traveling for work in 2011-ish and... yeah, if this scale is one minute that’s pretty much what the plane/my heart rate did for what felt like five minutes. I was in the seat that most of the scary videos of this thing are from, but on a smaller plane. Flight attendant looked out my window, then at me, and then ran full speed aft.

Cling clang at the start, and eventually the longest 10 seconds of my life of that full on failure noise which I’m guessing is an order of magnitude more frightening in a 777. The number of people that pressed the attendant buttons on engine cutoff was actually darkly humorous.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

marumaru posted:

i shat myself so hard when we had intense turbulence (literal rollercoaster feel) and the plane started washing machining. i don't know if it's a regular thing but they also turned the cabin completely dark which didn't help. can't imagine what a bird strike must be like
half an hour later everything was back to normal and captain just says "sorry about that, we got a bit of turbulence there lol"

I wrote about it somewhere and maybe can find it, it was a business trip and I spent the week in the field completely preoccupied with it. Sounds like a compressed version of what you experienced, with zero information while the pilots are doing the stuff that’s more important than communicating with the passengers. That part sucked so bad.

If I find the write up I’ll post it, was quite harrowing for a super normal 6am flight out of PVD.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I was hoping for something really fuckin cool to happen as it burst through the smoke.

You heard the kid say how cool it was, what more can you ask for? (Vortices)

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

LO-loving-L at making a vaccine delivery with a giant Disney World/Star Wars advertisement, hooo boy

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

azflyboy posted:

I've had to tell her multiple times that she has to wear a mask, said mask can't be under her nose, and no, it can't be one of those idiotic mesh ones.

I would be livid about the mesh mask thing.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Oh man there’s an hour of this poo poo? :munch: this guy is such a ding-dong!

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 10, 2021

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

“Now you could tie a few knots in it…” (door lever elastic band)

“Now if you just disconnect the spring…” (control stick rebuild)

Hahaha Peter is the worst, if these two weren’t there for testing he’d be dead already.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

atomicpile posted:

Electric-HYBRID. It’s going to have a “generator with a small battery or two” to provide power to the electric fans.

Here comes the Tesla variant of the Raptor, RIP

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Elviscat posted:

The hobby balloons are aluminized mylar, I think, which is about the best thing ever for giving huge radar returns.

Dunno how to feel about the Dystopian near-future where your kid accidents lets go of their birthday balloon, and 10 minutes later it disappears as the sonic boom from the departing F22 rattles your skull.

I watched some birthday balloons go up today, and kept my eye on each one just in case haha

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Hadlock posted:

At what age are the airlines no longer required to seat my child next to me. I think at 2 I am safe but I'm guessing the bean counters have the age set as low as possible, something like age 5 or 8

An airline I’ll decide to leave unnamed recently attempted it at 3 1/2. It took a considerable amount of pushback and (borderline get-off-the-plane) arguing with the guy in the adjacent seat to prevent it. I was bullshit.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I posted about that in the A/T thread:

Sounds like he’s Dunn flying, in case nobody made that joke

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I Miss Snausages posted:

Can someone with more knowledge than me tell me what would happen if the tank fired a shell while flying in the air in that aircraft? Not through the aircraft, but if the cargo door was down.

Depends on if there is a treadmill involved

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

So there was just an episode on CNN, “The Full Story” about Sully and passengers’ experience after the Hudson incident.. It’s really got me triggered about a US Airways or UA flight I had taken with a birdstrike 90 secs in, PVD -> Charlotte and ironically it’s about the PTSD encountered by everyone involved. I dunno what else to say about it beyond that but goddamn did that just hit me like a ton of bricks.

E: That being said, it’s definitely worth a watch.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

A helicopter air dropped to down pilots. A big fan to move troops on.

Us common folk just call that an Osprey

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Full Collapse posted:

Flying home from work travel and someone ripped two juicy farts within 20 minutes of departure. I’m glad this flight is only an hour and a half.

e: now three farts.

https://youtu.be/WDykUP6Lv4E?si=IDiCFeStZqKSvK7X

https://youtu.be/dA05Xo95n5Q?si=Lcbx-7NeFZz625rf

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 13, 2024

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

There are good prop strikes on both sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Bit of a coincidence, I just saw this show up in my Twitter feed. Stall recovery in a 717:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CsO-Vu7oc

I dunno what’s worse, watching that and hearing the atari 2600 pac-man game, or hearing it while being the guy recovering from a stall. Actually I do know