Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bit of help here? Is this the world's ugliest Spitfire or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Never mind!

The plane is a prop over the stage at an Iron Maiden concert. I assumed it was a solid model but I was just informed that it's a loving inflatable, which obviously means the lines aren't necessarily going to match reality. Bruce Dickinson referred to it as a Spitfire, hence the confusion.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 12, 2019

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ewe2 posted:

Mayday/Air Crash Investigation series 11 episode 9 "Under Pressure". Really awful and preventable incident.

Did the episode show the lead investigator say, "Those tires were under-inflated!" And then he draws big circles around the general area of the landing gear on a big whiteboard with a diagram of the plane?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

See, that's too close for me, too graphic. I like to see the whole bodies of the planes, not just the connections.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Double post

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm a non-expert lurker so forgive me for asking, but is there a good written summary of Jerry? I gather that he's a really horrible pilot with an inexplicable following, but I'd like to know more.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Carth Dookie posted:

No you've basically got it.

Lol.

hobbesmaster posted:

The following is actually pretty explicable. He has a fancy plane, posts lots of videos of him doing really dumb stuff and gets extremely not mad in the comments of videos.

r/flying has been watching him for a while, there was a post a while ago that summarized all the dumb things hes done and posted but I can't find it at the moment. Heres a still from one of his videos that should say everything though, and the 2nd post in the thread is from an FAA employee: https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/bzgsls/jerry_and_air_wagner_at_it_again/

e.pilot posted:

lol he actually deleted that one, it took me a while to find the mirror

Skip to 7:02
https://streamable.com/usuwo

Search his name on reddit, there are multiple threads over the months just absolutely dunking on him, it's the best.

Thanks.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I just got around to watching this. Holy poo poo. I mean, I don't know anything about flying an airplane but when he came out of the fog it looked like he was going straight into the ground.

Edit: Oh my god, he buzzed the Bay Bridge.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 13, 2019

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Spaced God posted:

they really let anyone pretend to be an expert on the local news, don't they?

Next up on ABC10, are nuclear power plants safe? We talk to expert Not Great Not Terrible Guy.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Is he even 50' off the top of that ridge right at the end of the drop?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MrYenko posted:

The tip of the vertical stab on a DC-10 is ~58ft off the ground when sitting on the ground. They were probably 10-20ft off the top of the hill, there.

Balls. Giant ones.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

gently caress it; bring back the DC-10.

Help out an ignorant person here. I don't understand. The 737 Max wasn't exactly a clean sheet design, right? So what's the problem? Kelly Johnson designed the SR-71 over a long weekend with an abacus and a tape measure. These guys have HAL 9000 units and can't keep a brand new plane from committing suicide.

Also, what's the deal with the black box? Why don't they make the whol

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mortabis posted:

I don't think you would have been satisfied with the SR-71's safety characteristics as an airline passenger.

I don't know, that's a lot of time cut off the flight...

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

New Top Gun trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4U4BQW9OEk

Highway to the Aurora zone.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Scruff McGruff posted:

There better be some officer in charge of that guard post yelling about wanting some butts after Maverick blows the roof off. Otherwise is it even really a Top Gun movie?

I think the guy ducking in terror at the back of the SUV will take care of it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

So anyone care to guess what will put Maverick in whatever they will call the hypersonic secret super-duper plane?

I think Mav will be on the outs from the Navy. The students he was instructing will get into some kind of horrible trouble.

Military guy 1: "We have to help them, they will all die!"
Military guy 2: "How? We don't have anything in our arsenal that can get to them in time."
Shadowy military guy: "Yes we do."

[SMG briefs them on the F-44 Hypercock]

MG1: "But we don't have anyone who can fly that thing!"
MG2: "Yes we do."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

Maybe it's time we start getting more action stars who aren't about due for hip replacements?

At least the love interest is within a decade of Cruise's actual age.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jesus, it looks like it's from a movie where they couldn't afford to digitally add an interesting view outside. That's terrifying.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ManifunkDestiny posted:

That Ukrainian plane was shot down by Iranian fighters. Video of the plane descending in a ball of fire:

https://t.me/Khabar_Fouri/178465

What source is saying it was shot down?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

If you have an anti-aircraft battery near a large airport, what does it take for the operator to say, "There's no way that that's an airplane from the airport we're near, go ahead and fire." I would think there would be multiple layers of steps to confirm your target isn't something innocent from THE loving AIRPORT close by.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

drunkill posted:

Welp. Looks like a large air tanker has crashed in new south wales. Civilian C-130.

It was a Canadian plane with an American crew of three. drat.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...y-monaro-region

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Given how long it's been since you posted this, I'm disappointed that there's been no Jerry references slapped all over this. Too obvious?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

No doubt a stupid question from this non-pilot. If the runway has severe drops and bumps that are like ramps, does the pilot actually have to push the nose down until they hit takeoff speed?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

NightGyr posted:

I'm not a pilot, but to me it looks like you're cruising through a valley and then suddenly have to get down and make a turn *right now*.

I know of a certain Youtube-famous pilot who was born for this type of landing.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

This is not a Super Dave bit. Unfortunately.

https://www.sbsun.com/2020/02/22/da...KsLeMNyJT-qhroY

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PT6A posted:

What are you talking about? Discovery is not trash, Airline Repo is a perfectly reasonable show, not a collection of dramatized nonsense that would break hundreds of FARs and federal laws! :v:

Is anything on that show real? I loved one I saw recently where the supposed deadbeat took out a shotgun and started firing at the repo dudes, who took off in their car. But the shots of the deadbeat firing the gun were from a camera man still back at the original site. So we're supposed to believe that they just ditched this poor camera guy in the middle of nowhere with a psycho and a shotgun.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Delta has announced they are cutting total capacity by 40%, the largest cut in their history.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Back to aerospace progress for a moment, as of next year, the first human to fly and the first human in space will have been closer together timewise than the first human in space and today.

Not aviation-related, but I love this type of time trivia. For example, the Berlin Wall has now been torn down longer than it was up.

And as of a couple years ago, President John Tyler, whose single term ended 15 years before the Civil War started, has two living grandchildren.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Godholio posted:

That's true for ejection in general.

That big carrier documentary that Martin Sheen narrated, can't remember the name, but they did a segment on an ejection that happened while they were filming. One pilot said that after a previous ejection, he lost two inches in height because it compressed his spine.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'd love to see a parody of Air Disasters using the cat video.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I looked back a few pages and didn't see any mention of this. The Air Force designed, built, and has flown a full sized prototype of a new fighter. They are claiming performance records for it and revolutionary design techniques that they say would lead to a total change in procurement, as in new fighters every seven years instead of twenty. Would be remarkable if true.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/09/15/air-force-has-already-flown-secret-plane-could-be-its-next-fighter.html

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Probably stupid question...

Does the center of gravity shift a ton when the large fire tankers drop their loads necessitating adjusting the trim and such as they go? Or are they designed to release in such a way that it empties evenly and doesn't shift the CoG significantly?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thanks for all the responses, cool stuff.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

A lot of birds are like that. In turn, their brains developed very advanced stabilization.

https://twitter.com/kbiegel/status/1223125002414784512?s=20

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Watching these videos, and this one especially tells me that even if I won the freaking lotto, I should never be allowed to think about flying a plane. My brain has developed serious tunnel-vision as I've aged so keeping track of all that stuff would be impossible.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

With the cost being relative peanuts, why aren't airports blanketed with cameras to catch takeoffs and landings?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My contribution: Salt Lake City is the most immaculate public facility I've ever seen.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

LostCosmonaut posted:

Not naming the French Meadows Bakery in the airport the Mountain Meadows Bakery was really a missed opportunity.

Lol. I can't imagine why they didn't go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Last I heard it wasn't bearing up under the strain.

"The victory of the airplane over the bear is but a momentary reprieve from nature's relentless massacre of the human race. The airplane won this battle, but it cannot win the war."

-Werner Herzog