Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

hobbesmaster posted:

There is no way jetpack guy is actually a guy in a jetpack. That of course leads to the question of what they're actually seeing. Wingsuit maybe? It doesn't quite fit though.

The dullest option is that someone attached a dummy to a drone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

otoh this XF-85 is real and actually flew

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

Aspects like these must tell a lot not only about the general state of an industry as it entered world war 2, but also about what these people prioritized and valued. I have no idea how this niche in history is called but I'd like to learn about it. Philosophy of industry? Different schools of logistics?

Science and Technology Studies?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Ardeem posted:

It's a better Star Wars movie than Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker, but A New Hope was a better remake of Dam Busters.

633 Squadron.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Elviscat posted:

The hobby balloons are aluminized mylar, I think, which is about the best thing ever for giving huge radar returns.

Dunno how to feel about the Dystopian near-future where your kid accidents lets go of their birthday balloon, and 10 minutes later it disappears as the sonic boom from the departing F22 rattles your skull.

It's all over, and I'm standing pretty
In this dust that was a city

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Flying itself to Cuba.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

BalloonFish posted:

I'm pretty sure the Tu-160 also had not only an onboard kitchenette for heating ration packs but seats with pneumatic 'massage' function to reduce crew fatigue on long missions.

Those quotation marks make it sound like the Tu-160 offers happy endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

the milk machine posted:

the US has never been a meritocracy, though for part of the 20th century it may have seemed that way for people in the right demographics

As Michael Young said when he coined the term meritocracy, a meritocracy is just an oligarchy in formation.