Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

kind of a waste of the volume, no?

Fueeeeel.

Also, the luggage limit is now 5 bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

vessbot posted:

I think a more elegant flow of continuity would be if it's 3 engines, with the center one between the booms, but that doesn't work with the spacing of the landing gear blisters

Counterpoint: 4 engines help with the "we welded two planes together" aesthetic.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

MrYenko posted:

Naval Aviator spotted.

Haha, yeah, first thing I thought.

(Just to explain the joke and ruin comedy: You don't flare carrier landings)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just passing this along in case some of y'all havn't seen it. I'd say something aviation related will come up every week.

Nice, thanks

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Not being familiar with War Thunder, are people exceeding max airspeed limitations which results in airframe damage (such as losing flaps and other control surfaces), or are people dogfighting with flaps extended? You normally only use flaps for low-speed maneuvers like takeoff and landing. I can't think of a reason why you'd want them for combat. Speed brakes on a dive bomber, maybe, but that's different (and designed for higher airspeeds).

This is not correct. Plenty of fighters drop flaps and slats automatically depending on airspeed and aoa, in combat. You may also choose to drop "the big ones" (Full down), depending on situation, as they help with stall speed and turn rate.

F-14 NATOPS posted:

The flaps and slats form the high-lift system, which
provides the aircraft with augmented lift during the two
modes of operation: take off or landing and maneuvering flight.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

Huh so that kinda sounds like there's not all that much irl basis to the game mechanic, interesting. Thanks!

I mean, that assumes all the failsafes and security mechanisms work perfectly, I bet you could bend or break something.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's an automatic system, though. Were WWII fighters manually dropping flaps in the middle of a dogfight?

First off, I'm saying you can manually drop the main flaps if desired, on modern fighters, and it was done in combat.

Secondly, you said "I can't think of a reason why you'd want them for combat.", I am responding to that statement in general.

Thirdly, a quick google search leads me to believe that yes, this holds true for ww2 fighters as well, they did employ flaps in combat.

This is a report from 1942 stating that the Corsair "typical Naval Fighter airplane" gains improved low speed turn performance "at any flap arrangement"
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20090016589

Xakura fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 29, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Bob A Feet posted:

Well that Corsair report doesn’t say much about combat it just says low speed turns which incidentally most planes have to do in some form before landing which is why they have their flaps down.

Like dude the report is talking about flying 90mph level turns. Gonna throw some hard doubt that a Corsair flew 90mph in combat.

I don’t think any aircraft uses manually adjusted flaps (ie, not fly by wire control surfaces) in combat or high speed maneuvering.

And are they not powered? I'm looking at the cockpit of a mustang here, and the flap control is just a lever, same as a modern aircraft.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

The Bf-109 had an automatic leading-edge slat system that would deploy at low airspeeds/high AoA. It was a very simple concept -- by default the slats were pushed open with springs, and as airspeed increased it would force them shut. Slow down, or pull to a high angle of attack so the air isn't hitting the slats directly, and the spring opens them back up.

e: oh, you said manually. idk. almost certainly there were instances where it was happening, but in the modern model of dogfighting -- where keeping your total energy as high as possible is the goal -- I would imagine that it would generally be discouraged because any amount of flaps will increase drag and thus losing energy.

Generally, yes, but that does not mean it's not a tool you can use.

Tomcat Pilot posted:

F-15s liked to drag the Tomcat high and use their superior thrust to gain an advantage. An off-the-books tactic we used to counter this was to manually extend the wings to the fullest, then incrementally lower the flaps beyond the normal maneuver setting. It was hugely successful, but the danger was that the flap torque tubes were not designed for this and could become stuck.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/27889/confessions-of-a-navy-f-14-fleet-pilot-turned-f-5-aggressor

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Are you making a distinction between

flaps that are powered by an electric motor vs. flaps that are powered by the pilot's arm on a johnson bar

or

flaps where the position may be directly commanded by the pilot, e.g. extend to 30 degrees, vs. flaps where the pilot selects e.g. "landing" and the flight control system decides what that entails and actuates the devices accordingly?

I thought he meant manually operated, as opposed to electrical/hydraulic. But I see now that his point is "program controlled" vs "manual control", and that is just wrong. F-14A originally had manual control maneuver flaps, they did not become computer/program controlled until some update. Related, they even manually set wing sweep, to gain an advantage in a dogfight.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

vessbot posted:

Lots of American planes had it too, like early F-104's, bottom seats of the B-52, and some others too.

Haha, holy poo poo, not only did it try to kill you when landing, it offered no escape while doing so. That's just cruel.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Pretty sure it doesn't matter matter which way the door opens, there will be 2 cargo containers in front of it anyway, and you wont get past.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

Man if I was a pilot and learned about that Barracuda thing I would seriously grab whatever horrid, misshapen thing the Brits were issuing as a service revolver at the time and (try to) shoot the guy who designed that system.

wtf, why do you hate the webley.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

"The concept, which included a complementary 747 AWACS version with two reconnaissance "microfighters", was considered technically feasible in 1973"

Fun when some electrical gremlin in the first plane ready to launch, prevents all other planes from launching as well.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm just going to assume that the manta ray itself is nuclear powered and the tankers are to provide fuel for its air wing, like how it works with water-based aircraft carriers.

e: I just noticed the hull on the bottom and the outriggers, so it seems it's a flying boat on top of everything else. :shepface:

Being a flying boat is the most sensible thing of it all. Where would you land it on land:P

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

bloops posted:

Guys help. Cat experienced a variable sweep ear failure today. No circuit breakers to pull and dash 1 unclear on emergency procedures.

Don't worry, the cat was certified in full opposite ear position. RTB and have an (organic) mechanic look at it.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Really when we are talking about Long Airplanes you must consider ratio of fuselage diameter to overall length, because that is what gives the visual appearance of length.

Some Long Airplanes, evaluated:
code:
Name	   Fuselag    Length	   Length:Diameter Ratio (higher = longer)
777x-9	   6.2	      76.3	   12.3
787-10	   5.77	      68.28	   11.8
777-300	   6.2	      73.86	   11.9
A340-1000  5.64	      75.36	   13.4
A350-1000  6.09	      73.79	   12.1
767-400	   5.41	      61.37	   11.3
757-300	   3.76	      54.4	   14.5
737-MAX10  3.76	      43.8	   11.6
CRJ-1000   2.7	      39.1	   14.5
CRJ-900    2.7        36.2         13.4
ERJ-145    2.28       29.87        13.1

As you can see, the Longest Airplane is a tie between the 757-300 and the CRJ-1000. Of airplanes in production, it appears the CRJ-900 is the current Length King. If you think of other long airplanes please post them and evaluate.

I tried some little stuff like the Metroliner but it's not that competitive, there's kind of an overall minimum diameter to fit people in it so planes below a certain size just don't really work.

I get 16,7 for B-52, but that's with image editor measuring tools, I couldn't find a value for fuselage width. Also, the fuselage is taller than it is wide, makes it seem less long.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

PT6A posted:

Having a private first-class suite with a full observation window at the very front of the main deck of a 747 would be absolutely loving amazing.

lol, it looks so tiny and alone

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

rscott posted:

Look this 16 slide powerpoint deck about FOD will totally make up for the fact that we have 2 inspectors per 100 mechanics on the line! It says right here in bold caps that FOD is everyone's responsibility!

Reminds me of that British Leyland instructional video, which summed up as "look, we basically have no quality control, you better not gently caress it up in the first place."

Hey Boeing, guess what happened to them.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

If he's getting old and confused, but obviously still wants to fly, couldn't he just hire someone to fly with him? Help him with the radio, and warn him that what he's lining up with is not a runway..

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Midjack posted:

Watch what happens when you try telling an old person they’re doing something incorrectly.

.....fair

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

~Coxy posted:

Not 2 in 135?

Notice he's saying STS-1 spesifically, as in the first shuttle launch.

He's not saying the shuttle program overall had those odds.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

david_a posted:

Apparently Musk already has 5(!) kids from a previous marriage

All boys, ofc

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t think Grimes is a dipshit any more than other performance artist musicians are like Zappa or Bowie or Bjork or whatever. I’m not equating those artists so nerds please don’t artsplain, but those people are not “dipshits.”

You're blinded by your love of her music. Sometimes subversive, thought-provoking actions are not planned, just a weird person acting naturally. Don't put people on a pedestal.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

NightGyr posted:

(Grimes river cruise)

Haha, I had forgotten that was her

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

bloops posted:

Yea that’s a rope to hang out the side to escape from. Ours was kept in a little compartment above the eyebrow window. We were told to kick off the pitot tubes on the way down :black101:

Pro move. You can always claim the pitot failed in the post accident investigation

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Phanatic posted:

I don't think the engines are supposed to look like that.

Is that the accident aircraft?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quick googling, seem like gear failure of some sort resulted in the aircraft scraping both engines on the runway. Aborted and tried to go around, but both engines failed sometime later, presumably from the damage sustained.

This is of course all speculation.

Xakura fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 22, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

e.pilot posted:

I for one am shocked that a foreign carrier would have both subpar maintenance and pilots.

dont be a dick

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Moo the cow posted:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4d7a6e9a

I am not a plane person, but I though that landing without the wheels down was something that doesn't happen very often with the Big Planes?

Not a pilot, but gear not being down is a unmutable constant alarm in an airbus. No loving clue what was going on there

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

presuming everything else is working correctly, sure

You can hear the chime on the atc recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfzwYKGLNnY&t=41s

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Approach asks if he's going to land on his belly when he's coming back in after losing the engines, which kinda sounds like there was maybe a gear issue to start with, beyond forgetting to put it down. Who knows though, that's just inference.

Pilot never communicates an issue with landing gear. Controller only asks after his first (engine scraping) landing attempt, presumably because he saw the sparks. CCTV footage of the plane showed it managed to deploy landing gear before it crashed.

Xakura fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 26, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Ola posted:

Hmm just thinking about a luxury airship makes the idea seem so obvious. It's easier to make carbon neutral propulsion for it than anything heavier than air. Also, that gas envelope, it must have a certain resonating ability, what if you put a big subwoofer inside it and go cruising?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYLTnI7TUI&t=72s

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

meltie posted:

as a Euro, I keep brainfarting CVG as Charles van Gaulle

..war hero and manager of Manchester United

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

HAVE SHED

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Midjack posted:

What do you even do to turn that around?

Fire 30% of their pilots.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

PT6A posted:

If they haven't glued themselves to a critical surface, I say add them to the weight and balance and get goin' :v:

WTF is this post

Sagebrush posted:

maybe if you're a big stupid moron with an ugly face who smells like a butt.

Dude

Jonny Nox posted:

The idle rich glueing themselves to a plane are not lawful protests against systematic racism, it's not even the same category.

You know why people are committing violence on protesters? Because they know that actually works (for a time)

"Lawful protests" are some :decorum: poo poo. And yeah, playing genocide olympics, climate change is not even playing in the same league, but not the way you think.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

Service ceiling on the version that’s from originally is only 37k ft.

Just like your cars speedo though, they're gonna leave themselves some room.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Better that than my current X-Plane experience: for whatever reason every time I've flown around in X-Plane over the past year in a small plane, this loving computer controlled MD-90 follows me around in edge-of-stall slow flight. It's.... bizarre. I have no idea what exactly is going on or why X-Plane has decided to perpetually harass my lil bugsmashers with a stalling airliner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cat Mattress posted:

And yet the air forces have generals like the landlubbers, not admirals like the navies.

Admirals are still on ships, while an air force officer of that rank is stuck on land, like a general.

Makes perfect sense :colbert: