Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

Is it me or are there -0- flaps dialled in?

But it's a Cessna. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In a plane like that you can land perfectly safely with no flaps; you'll just touch down a little faster. You're still gonna have problems if you don't arrest your descent at all and just fly straight into the ground/water

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, I've been on enough airline flights where a few times the landing pilot fucks up the flare.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm somewhat of an aviation fan, and since I was a kid I've always loved fighter planes and jets. One of my all time favorites is the F4U Corsair. Just browsing youtube I found this great little video about the history of the Corsair so I thought I'd post it here. I learned a lot about the plane and have even more respect for it now, such an awesome aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6rD-BdY5w

Best American fighter of WWII. :colbert:

P-38 is a close second.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

They only had a huge pile of cash because they mortgaged absolutely everything they had just before poo poo hit the fan.

They also didn't take any TARP money; they took other loans because the banks weren't offering anything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Minto Took posted:

Yeah, I've been on enough airline flights where a few times the landing pilot fucks up the flare.

Two weeks back landing at LAX the Alaska 738 I was on hit the runway so hard and vacated the runway so fast I almost wondered if he *drifted* the loving thing onto the taxiway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Minto Took posted:

On the E-3 there are five seats in the cockpit. If you don't have enough flight crew, one of the mission crew will get Seat 5 for takeoff, landing, and refueling, to have an extra set of eyes/let you have a look outside the airplane for once. One brilliant controller thought she knew what was going on better than the pilot during landing, and felt like the descent was not going well and yelled "FLARE!"

That triggered a go-around and she never sat Seat 5 again.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 24, 2020

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

On the E-3 there are five seats in the cockpit. If you don't have enough flight crew, one of the mission crew will get Seat 5, to have an extra set of eyes/let you have a look outside the airplane for once. One brilliant controller thought she knew what was going on better than the pilot, and felt like the descent was not going well and yelled "FLARE!"

What a moron lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh yeah. Even in the weapons flight people were like "What the gently caress."

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But it does lock them down.

Buybacks increase the earnings per share by lowering the denominator. Having a separate friendly entity own shares doesn't do that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Godholio posted:

On the E-3 there are five seats in the cockpit. If you don't have enough flight crew, one of the mission crew will get Seat 5 for takeoff, landing, and refueling, to have an extra set of eyes/let you have a look outside the airplane for once. One brilliant controller thought she knew what was going on better than the pilot during landing, and felt like the descent was not going well and yelled "FLARE!"

Hey, maybe she had a concern?
I wonder what her nickname was after that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Naval Aviator spotted.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

MrYenko posted:

Naval Aviator spotted.

Haha, yeah, first thing I thought.

(Just to explain the joke and ruin comedy: You don't flare carrier landings)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well, right, but you don't point the nose into the deck either.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

A classic. I believe last time I saw this, the story also came out that there was a modification to the engine, and someone had specifically warned that the front would fall off but the owner ignored that advice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PT6A posted:

A classic. I believe last time I saw this, the story also came out that there was a modification to the engine, and someone had specifically warned that the front would fall off but the owner ignored that advice.

Does Jerry have a brother?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

Hey, maybe she had a concern?
I wonder what her nickname was after that?

I don't think she got a callsign out of that, but I'm not entire sure at this point.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PT6A posted:

Maybe the modification was a quick release firewall?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

Maybe the modification was a quick release firewall?

its like a cabover, easy access for maintenance

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bold move, Boeing. Let's see how it pays off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Huh, then I guess they don't need it that badly.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Midjack posted:

DO IT

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Let's take the money and establish a fund for displaced aerospace workers for 18-24 months instead complete with healthcare. That way Boeing can exercise their options with complete freedom. Everyone wins!

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Want some Aeronautical Insanity? Howabout an 8 hour flight in a Dash 8 mainly over open water?

https://simpleflying.com/air-greenland-8-hour-dash-8/

quote:

The flights are presumed to be a means of repatriating travelers from either country stranded in the other. They operate by way of Reykjavik in Iceland, although it’s not clear whether they pick up passengers here or simply stop to refuel. What’s more, the seven-hour plus journey is operated by one of the industry’s smaller aircraft – a Dash 8-200 turboprop.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Drop in automatic aircraft observations of atmospheric conditions could have impact on weather forecasts:

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/media-centre/news/2020/drop-aircraft-observations-could-have-impact-weather-forecasts

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Two weeks back landing at LAX the Alaska 738 I was on hit the runway so hard and vacated the runway so fast I almost wondered if he *drifted* the loving thing onto the taxiway.

Sometimes it's the go home leg and you have a tight connection and want to make the fastest taxiway, especially somewhere that taxiing is a shitshow like LAX.

e:
it never ceases to make me laugh when you have a real stinker of a landing flying freight and you hear all the aluminum containers in the back rumble

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 24, 2020

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Sometimes it's the go home leg and you have a tight connection and want to make the fastest taxiway, especially somewhere that taxiing is a shitshow like LAX.

Motherfuckers are always trying to hit the reverse high speed off 24R and I HATE IT

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Ferret King posted:

Well, right, but you don't point the nose into the deck either.

You also don't aim for the water. :v:

Just watching that made my back twinge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And now Boeing is planning on restarting MAX production in May?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews

That seems...optimistic for quite a few reasons.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

bull3964 posted:

And now Boeing is planning on restarting MAX production in May?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews

That seems...optimistic for quite a few reasons.

We were allowed to start shipping 737 MAX parts the again the last week of February but the rate is 18 planes a month or so

Like I get some of the reason why they're doing this, if they don't their entire supply chain is going to die, but they should have thought of that over the last 5 years they spent squeezing the gently caress out of us so they could give more money to shareholders

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Yeah, the funnier thing was that we got there 40 minutes early and spent the majority of it parked practically in the El Segundo Costco parking lot until the gate was ready. Good time to be 'stuck' in First. >.>

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Midjack posted:

Boeing's debt got downgraded two notches. They don't have a ton of options left.

Does anyone know if there is a financial analysis of Boeing that includes the effective debt from suppliers that are effectively critical? (I'm looking at Spirit Aerosystems..)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, the funnier thing was that we got there 40 minutes early and spent the majority of it parked practically in the El Segundo Costco parking lot until the gate was ready. Good time to be 'stuck' in First. >.>

Classic.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Want some Aeronautical Insanity? Howabout an 8 hour flight in a Dash 8 mainly over open water?

https://simpleflying.com/air-greenland-8-hour-dash-8/

How long can you be over open water before you need to worry about ETOPS?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

NightGyr posted:

They probably just have a rusty old tugboat with a big tank o fuel that steams underneath as the dash 8 lowers a hose to it :haw:

It can land on the rear deck in an emergency

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

NightGyr posted:

60 minutes

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Rebel without a cowl.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I saw a very good plane today while having lunch next to an airport

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

From this article about American dealing with things:

quote:

Around the country, American is parking its fleet as fast as it can — there will be 100 planes in Tulsa, Okla.; 100 planes in Roswell, N.M; 50 planes in Pittsburgh; more in Mobile, Ala., and Greensboro, N.C.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/business/coronavirus-american-airlines.html

I’ve driven through Roswell, I was surprised to see it on the list but I guess it used to have an Air Force base. (Also surprised it actually has American flights from DFW and PHX, that would have saved us a lot of driving when we went to Carlsbad Caverns.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Roswell is also a huge graveyard for old aircraft, sort of like Victorville in California. If you peep a satellite photo of the joint you’ll see a very decrepit jetstar in the center of the airport that belonged to Elvis Presley :kimchi: