Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

decahedron posted:

It ain't WWII. If you're making strafing passes with your F-15, once again, you are doing it wrong. The military has aircraft and helicopters designed specifically for strafing. They use cannons. They're also slow and have good loiter time because that is important for ground attack aircraft. Strike versions of the F-15 and F-16 use guided munitions, not their twirly peashooters.

There have been lots of strike aircraft making strafing runs in Iraq and Afghanistan over the past 8 years. Sometimes its better to get something done now instead of waiting 30 minutes for the right weapons system to show up to the battle.

Even a 500lb bomb has a huge blast area and there are situations where you can drop on a target because friendlies are too close. A well set up gun run is safer and better then nothing in those cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

OptimusMatrix posted:

They should use four of the GE90 777 engines. That thing would be so beastly.

and so would its radar signature

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I went to the red bull air race in NY on Sunday and took a bunch of pics. Its cool to see all the little modifications the teams have made to their aircraft. There are only two basic airframes being used currently in the series but as you can see in some of the pictures very few of them are exactly the same. Most notable are the big winglets on the yellow Brightling MXS-R flown by Nigel Lamb.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Fake Name posted:

Nah I meant the videos. Its a shame that there are so few of them :(

They stopped making the videos because they stopped having the parties. Hornet squadrons arent the same sort of cool as Tomcat squadrons.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Its just staggering that the three of them managed to blow through nearly 36,000 feet of altitude before figuring out what was wrong. You can understand when things start going awry at lower altitudes and the pilots are not able to adjust in time, but they were above their regular crusing altitude and maintained their complete lack of situational awareness (despite having full insturments for almost all of the ordeal and having airbus's version of bitchen betty yelling at them for most of it) for nearly 4 minutes of "flight".

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

MrChips posted:

Lots of words

While everything you are saying is true it still doesn't change the :wtc: feeling I think we're all getting from the flight crews reactions to the situation they were in.

I know it was probably a very busy, stressful and terrifying 4 minutes for the two co-pilots, but there was so much instrument information that is so basic for any pilot in front of them that they just seemed to ignore. I mean how do you have an angle of attack of 40 degrees and not see that on your instruments? How do you see both your altitude and and airspeed drop consistently over a few minutes while holding the nose 15 degrees of pitch while the throttles are at max power and not put that info together and realize whats going on?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Space Gopher posted:

The F-4 isn't flawless in every aerial combat regime. It's the best in the world at BVR, and still competent at WVR. It'd be foolish to think that a bunch of cheap, outdated MiGs with guns, of all things, could ever pose a threat.

I am really sorry for going back to this but once the Navy pilots got their training poo poo together they did infact go back to shitstomping the NVAF to the tune of a 13:1 kill ratio from 1970 on.

Not getting suckered into the strenghts of your enemey's fight is and always will be a really big deal when it comes to winning.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Linedance posted:

the 767 is an old piece of poo poo that needs to be retired, the 787 more or less replaces it. I've always wondered how the narrow body market could possibly support both the 737 and the 757. They'd be better off scrapping both and just making a universal narrow body that they can stretch or shrink depending on what the customer prefers a la 320 family.

You do know they haven't made the 757 since 2004 right?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

MrChips posted:

as the only advantage the 757 had over the 737-900 was a much longer range which not every customer needed.

The 757 is also better in "hot and high" take off conditions.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

MrChips posted:

Also, there is debate as to how effective the AWG-9/Phoenix weapons system actually was; sure it worked reasonably well in controlled circumstances, but from what I understand, every missile fired in anger failed to hit their target (as far as we know; there is very little information about Iran's experience with the Phoenix).

Didn't a bunch of the Phoenix engagements happen towards the end of their service life and a bunch failed because of bad rocket motors?

I know at least one of their attempted engaments was against an Iraqi mig25 which had turned to run to iran at mach 2+. Not really the incoming soviet bomber style target it was intended to engage.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

hobbesmaster posted:

"Fighters" includes strike aircraft such as the A-10 and multi-role aircraft such as literally everything but the F-15A-D and the F-22 (though those technically can carry bombs I think?)

I think by definition the "A" in A-10 means its not an "F" Fighter.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

For all its faults that plane looks cool as hell in that shot.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Seconding "By By Baby...". Lots of great stories and excellent pictures.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Fun Fact: "Hoser" Satrapa lost his thumb while he was still on active duty due to a shooting accident. Rather than let that take him off flight status, he had a loving *toe* removed and attached to the point of severance, which he's kept to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aILfg1KRcg

If I remember correctly they jokingly called him 'Toe'ser for a while after the thumb/toe replacement.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Davin Valkri posted:

It looks like a biggie size version of those coin-operated rides you see at shopping malls. Is there something up with the perspective of that picture, or is it really that size?

They seriously are that small
https://www.google.com/search?q=lin...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Preoptopus posted:

Baggage handler operations in Dubai in 4k!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8n2o3Qx504

its cracks me up that they have a no poo poo supervisor just watching the two dudes unload the baggage cart with his clipboard/tablet. I've been in a dozen US airports and the only kind of supervision the baggage unloaders usually have at the belts is having one of them be a lead baggage unloader who is unloading right along side them.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I don't think any flying boats or amphibious aircraft are all that good at landing or taking off in rough seas

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Mortabis posted:

That dude's in terrible shape. He can barely keep jogging while he's about to get arrested.

he's probably been running for a while if they have a helicopter on site already

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

ehnus posted:

Also, I love everything about the Colomban Cri Cri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBvj2dBAVcM

Especially jet-powered Cri Cri's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoxNN6o6MaE

It reminds of me when I used to sit in a laundry basket as a kid and make "vroom vroom" sounds.

The jet cri cri is basically a real life Jetsons car

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Jesus Christ goons

unless your new wife is also seriously into it DON'T DO NERD poo poo ON YOUR HONEYMOON.

Do honeymoon stuff on your honeymoon.

Archer posted:

Woman: "Oh. My. God. I can't believe I just did that. You know, I'm not like that, I don't just--"
Archer: "Come on, don't do that. Don't ruin your post-coital bliss with a bunch of misplaced guilt."
Woman: "How is it misplaced? I'm on my honeymoon!(sobs)"
Archer: "Well, at least you got a honeymoon. My fiancee was murdered."
Woman: "Wait, what?"
Archer: "Yeah. Oh, and you married an idiot."
Woman: "*gasp*"
Archer: "I mean, who plays thirty-six holes of golf on the first day of his honeymoon? Because not to...whatever, but that can't bode well for your marriage."
Woman: "Get the hell out, you piece of poo poo!"

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

A Ran Into The Ground of Jokes

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Previa_fun posted:

That said it was completely hamstrung by poo poo engines until the D model.

the F-14A+ (later redesigned F-14B) was the first tomcat to get the F110-400. The D added the more advanced avionics.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

PT6A posted:

The An-72 is superb and comely and I will fight anyone who says a word against it.

I shot down so many of those things over Crimea in USNF '97 back in the day. They will always have a special place in my weird airplane heart.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, it would be interesting to see the percentage breakdown by like helo/transport/fighter etc. Lots of helos and other small stuff out there.

That also includes the giant pool of aircraft that are awaiting depot maintenance or other parts and can't actually fly right now. Like more than half of the Navy's strike fighter fleet.

If Wikipedia is to be believed the US has somewhere just over 2,700 fighter (F-15/16/18/22/35's) and fighter shaped attack aircraft (AV-8B's and F-15E's) in its inventory in various states of readiness if you don't count aggressor aircraft like F-5's and navy F-16's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_United_States_military_aircraft

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

MikeCrotch posted:

Close up, looking dead straight on is possibly the ugliest look for the A380. ugh

It really is :manning:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Previa_fun posted:

The A340 was boring and had no character and I'm glad they're going away. :colbert:

I always liked the way the A340-600 looked.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Finger Prince posted:

Bob, we need you to cause a distraction so we can sneak past those guards!

Say no more mates, I got this!

:stare: poo poo! We were so distracted we forgot to sneak past the guards!

Basically an airborne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0xPCas2tHQ

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Previa_fun posted:

That would have been hilariously expensive and I wonder how well you could fly in tight formation with a swing-wing.

I love the idea of A-7 Blue Angels though.

The Tomcat has a manual wing sweep selector. They could have just selected full aft for tight formation passes.

It would have added some cool sweep/unsweep dynamics to the show for sure.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Plinkey posted:

What is that flame at the very end from the bottom.

I would guess a powerline but I can't see anything.

NYC is all underground power lines so it wouldn't be that. As others have said its the emergency flotation deploying

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

The Jaguar had over wing missile hardpoints

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Is anything on that show real? I loved one I saw recently where the supposed deadbeat took out a shotgun and started firing at the repo dudes, who took off in their car. But the shots of the deadbeat firing the gun were from a camera man still back at the original site. So we're supposed to believe that they just ditched this poor camera guy in the middle of nowhere with a psycho and a shotgun.

I'm sure its all completely staged, but there is a possibility that they are stories with some truth to them and the reenact them for dramatic effect.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Psion posted:

This is a bold statement, but since it happens to be true I think it's ok

also I think the F-8 looks incredible so I'm really alright with that last photo you posted

Those are A-7 Corsair II’s

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Murgos posted:

Why do we need to zip Secretaries/Undersecretaries around at Mach 1.8? Prestige? Intimidation?

Man in the High Castle cosplay?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Carth Dookie posted:

Not sure what it says about me and the state of the world that I'm more surprised by the fact that someone had duct tape in their carryon luggage than I am about the passenger trying to open the door at altitude.

The duct tape is part of the airplanes supplies and available to the cabin staff for exactly this use.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Ya like dags

I'm glad I asked, it's like 30 miles or something on Google maps my Midwest brain translates that to 30 minutes maybe an hour and a half with traffic

Its more like 70-100 miles depending on where in London you are talking about. As the crow flies its over 50 miles.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Source4Leko posted:

Those stories are always more cathartic when the idiot gets the poo poo kicked outta them.

When they are anti mask idiots or just a regular violent loudmouth yeah, but it sounds like this guy was having a mental breakdown so it just sucks all around.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

smackfu posted:

Kind of surprised no one has managed to put bigger windows on their upper class. I guess the re-engineering isn’t worth it.

The Venn diagram of people who fly often and would book a 1st class ticket and the people who would spend the entire flight staring out the window barely touch.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Ardeem posted:

... Isn't the Whiteman runway a couple miles long so that one incident couldn't shut the whole thing down?

We aren’t at war so there is no pressing need to keep it open while they clean it up and make any repairs to the runway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Phanatic posted:

Lycoming?

UEC NPO Saturn :unsmigghh: