Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kilonum posted:

Lol they took the profile private

I didn’t even know you could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kilonum posted:

lol that’s a shame, I’ll request a follow and post screens

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's a whole lot more here than aerospace content, but the Smithsonian has put 2.8 million images of their collection online.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/25/smithsonian-open-access-collection-images/

All fully downloadable and covered under Creative Commons Zero license.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
More bad 737 Max news.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1231046862402179073

Wait, that's the old more bad news. Here we go!

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1232550698203701249

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
At least of them are in one place. Close to the factory. Small miracles.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

at this rate is boeing just going to give up on the max?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Inacio posted:

They can't.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The article says they're opening up the bonded surface survey and this is prob going to create a TON of rework for Boeing. If you're leaving FOD in fuel tanks, your bonding definitely isn't right.

:spergin: about bonding and lightning strike requirements of aircrafts:

Why bonding is hard:
  • MIL-STD-464 specs 2.5 milliohms between faying bonded surfaces like the engine cover. This is very little resistance.
  • Also, corrosion protection at that joint will and should be a requirement. All corrosion protections increase resistance. All of the good ones are effectively resistors and can't be used.
  • If youre bonding two pieces of aluminum together, this leaves chromate conversion coating (that gold coating on aluminum)
  • It is very easy to gently caress up the conductivity of this coating with process defects.
  • Also, the way you measure bonding on plane panels is with two multimeter like probes. Its very easy to get a high variance in measurements and the resistance only goes up (unless you stab through the coatings)
  • Composite panels require a variety of methods to make them sufficiently conductive like adhered foils, copper mesh, etc. which are bonded to outer strips that then attach and conduct through to the engine frame.
  • When you only have 2.5mOhms to work with, dirt, oil, grease, etc are all going to eat up your resistance budget. Thus it requires a clean installation method and clean storage of parts. Difficult when your factory guys leave ladders in tails and FOD in fuel tanks.

For lightning, paint thickness specs are extremely tight because lightning damage to a panel goes up insanely fast with paint thickness. Too much paint = VERY BAD in a lightning strike. The FAA will probably be checking this too.

The good part is the rework of bonding surfaces isn't bad. Again assuming its aluminum being bonded here, you can pretty easily sand off the chromate and brush on a similar conversion coating, then torque everything perfectly evenly so you have the max surface area in contact without warping the panel.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 26, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Inacio posted:

Either that or the creditors give up on Boeing? Or more (?) realistic, cut the stock buyback program with like 30% and pay for all the improvements no problem.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Old Boeing might be able to deal, but current Boeing is following this sage advice:

Except they seem to be hoping software shovels are good enough

So, does Boeing have to pay airlines if the aircraft they sold them get grounded?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think due to this thread I now find the AirforceProud95 MS flight simulator videos pretty amusing. Especially the ATC ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_JQYzFpN9I

I’m the random 400kts balloon doing a barrel roll

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

The way twitter goes I’m surprised he doesn’t have a blue check mark.

If this were some TRUMPUS offical, they would

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, does Boeing have to pay airlines if the aircraft they sold them get grounded?

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/12/14/boeing-pays-southwest-125-million-over-b737-max-grounding/

Yes, though it looks like Southwest had to sue.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The families of the dead passengers are suing, the airlines are suing, even the pilots’ unions are suing. Maybe we even see a supplier or two sue them in the future.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kilonum posted:

Got a response saying that it did indeed violate their ToS but they didn't delete the account :smith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

Old Boeing might be able to deal, but current Boeing is following this sage advice:

Except they seem to be hoping software shovels are good enough

Hole #1: Max
Hole #2: Pegasus
Hole #3: Dreamliner?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cat Mattress posted:

Perhaps related to Boeing's unilateral deletion of a couple parts of its lighting protection system.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Cat Mattress posted:

Hole #1: Max
Hole #2: Pegasus

Don't forget to leave room for a 4th hole for Starliner.
Boeing didn’t perform full end-to-end test of its astronaut capsule before troubled mission, ‘surprising’ NASA safety panel
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/space/os-bz-boeing-safety-commercial-crew-20200226-bgvthodnjzgmlc36hsxcaopahu-story.html

Overall the "Lets let the providers certify their own systems" approach in Commercial Crew has been less than stellar compared to cargo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
External evaluations when done by the company itself: If it looks good from the exterior, it's probably fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Okan170 posted:

Don't forget to leave room for a 4th hole for Starliner.
Boeing didn’t perform full end-to-end test of its astronaut capsule before troubled mission, ‘surprising’ NASA safety panel
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/space/os-bz-boeing-safety-commercial-crew-20200226-bgvthodnjzgmlc36hsxcaopahu-story.html

Overall the "Lets let the providers certify their own systems" approach in Commercial Crew has been less than stellar compared to cargo.

They’re not even loving trying at this point.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

What did it say?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lilbeefer posted:

What did it say?

I think that was the one that was like “It’s all fun and games until someone gets shot in the parking lot.”

AREA MAN VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT PLANE NOISES

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lilbeefer posted:

What did it say?

quote:

It's all fun and games till someone gets their head blown off in the parking lot.

— Scottsdale Aircraft Noise (@ScottsdaleNoise) February 15, 2020

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Did mayor Daley move to Scottsdale?

gently caress airport noise complainers though

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Super-slow-motion footage of the Chicago Air Show at 4K: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPK1WM4YJQ

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Super-slow-motion footage of the Chicago Air Show at 4K: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPK1WM4YJQ

I'm gonna poke my head out after a really long time lurking to say thanks for posting this, it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The Ospreys in particular, this just proves that they are not viable aircraft, and can only fly by some sort of eldritch magic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I can't get over just how close the prop gets to the fuselage. Imagine being in the jumpseat closest to that bitch. It has to sound (and feel) like God is kicking the wall behind you with every revolution.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah during transition to airplane mode, at around 40 degrees angle, the proprotor blades are even with you eyeballs in the pilot seat. It’s pretty freaky.

Oh and in airplane mode they are right outside that little door. The most frightened I’ve seen a crew chief is when that door has opened in flight leaving him inches from the tips.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Watching an Osprey taxi/take off with the rotors at a ~45 degree angle just felt wrong somehow. They’re nothing short of aerodynamic blasphemy, a helicopter somehow masquerading as a plane.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Let's go back to a time when Discovery wasn't home to trash. Thankfully, there is a community of people who keep old Wings and other 80s/90s aviation docs available on YouTube. Watched this one last night about the AH-64 Apache and their efforts kicking off the Gulf War air raid campaign. It's pretty heaby considering a good chunk of of air time is dedicated to going over an Apache friendly fire incident using the actual helo footage and radio comms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=784kKOhfN-A

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What are you talking about? Discovery is not trash, Airline Repo is a perfectly reasonable show, not a collection of dramatized nonsense that would break hundreds of FARs and federal laws! :v:

Though Mayday is still pretty good.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Watching an Osprey taxi/take off with the rotors at a ~45 degree angle just felt wrong somehow. They’re nothing short of aerodynamic blasphemy, a helicopter somehow masquerading as a plane.

Lowest we can do is 60 degrees on taxi/takeoff. However I’ve known some pilots that have gone lower in the chocks because they suck.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ve gone down to 45 taxiing but it was in forty knot winds. Those rotors are like parachutes in strong winds.

You only need ~75 and a bump of power to roll over a set of chocks. Ask me how I know.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Corn Burst posted:

Lowest we can do is 60 degrees on taxi/takeoff. However I’ve known some pilots that have gone lower in the chocks because they suck.

I couldn’t tell, it just looked like they were tipped over fairly far. I’m familiar with some of the aerodynamic blasphemies of helicopters, but Ospreys are another beast entirely.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Found this gem from 1968 at a used book store this morning

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PT6A posted:

What are you talking about? Discovery is not trash, Airline Repo is a perfectly reasonable show, not a collection of dramatized nonsense that would break hundreds of FARs and federal laws! :v:

Is anything on that show real? I loved one I saw recently where the supposed deadbeat took out a shotgun and started firing at the repo dudes, who took off in their car. But the shots of the deadbeat firing the gun were from a camera man still back at the original site. So we're supposed to believe that they just ditched this poor camera guy in the middle of nowhere with a psycho and a shotgun.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Is anything on that show real? I loved one I saw recently where the supposed deadbeat took out a shotgun and started firing at the repo dudes, who took off in their car. But the shots of the deadbeat firing the gun were from a camera man still back at the original site. So we're supposed to believe that they just ditched this poor camera guy in the middle of nowhere with a psycho and a shotgun.

I'm sure its all completely staged, but there is a possibility that they are stories with some truth to them and the reenact them for dramatic effect.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The weather channel followed an old employer of mine around and literally nothing about that show was true. None of the airplane shots were real, none of the patient shots were real (a huge HIPAA violation, they shot footage of the medical crew shocking a dummy for b-roll) and there was so much drama I’m sure that was all a setup too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bloops posted:

Found this gem from 1968 at a used book store this morning

Can't help but think there's a passage in this thing that's all "by 1998, all long-haul airline travel will be at hypersonic speeds, because Science!"

"Surely airliners won't ever travel more slowly than they do now! :v:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Surely airliners won't ever travel more slowly than they do now! :v:"

...Meanwhile, at Bombardier...