Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I wish they'd show what it actually looked like instead of all that HDR pastel-colored poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

No one does ship names better than the British. Go here, click on the lists by class, and enjoy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ship_names_of_the_Royal_Navy

Repulse
Furious
Invincible
Thunderous
Warspite
Revenge

Totally badass.

Counterpoint: HMS Gay Viking

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

xergm posted:

Death row.

:vince:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Came across this detail in a book about the Tupolev Tu-134:

Is this normal, or just a specifically Soviet thing?

At least one US model has something similar.

http://japan2.usembassy.gov/e/p/tp-20040903-61.html

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

God the F-8 Development timeline is depressing.
Oct '47: first supersonic flight
Sep '52: Navy issues bid requests
May '53: Vought wins
Mar '55: First prototype flight
Sep '55: First production delivery
Apr '56: First cat launch

Sometime in 1957: squadrons deploy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So to play not-entirely-baseless speculation, is it reasonable to say there's no mechanical failure mode that would explain both loss of radio contact and the straight steady descent, and that the leading candidates at this time are incapacitation of the crew after setting an autopilot descent, or controlled flight into terrain?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dayton and Udvar Hazy are so far beyond anything else in the US that it's not worth stressing over. There are at best, four or five comparable facilities in the entire world (Duxford, Monino, ?,?,?).

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 19, 2015

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Can I just say that I'm very sad this didn't happen.

What's Big Safari?

I wondered the same and it is... it's actually named that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Safari

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hitler and Sheriff Joe as besties? I'm not even sure this is fiction.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Does the Thunderscreech count as a turboprop?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The first person to interview Khaled in UK jail after her failed hijacking of an Amsterdam -NYC flight was an immigration agent demanding to know why she was in the country without a visa.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I had GPS signal on all the most recent commercial flights I've been on. windows phone has terrible app support but glorious hardware.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Inacio posted:

Underrated post. Speed limit makes this loving great.

Were you about to land / just after takeoff or did the GPS just not get the proper speed?

~90 seconds after takeoff from PHL 27R

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wolrah posted:

Working in telecom and IT has taught me that if you look/act like you're supposed to be there people tend not to question you.

Showing up to a major airport in a 747 without fighter jets chasing you down would probably be pretty convincing to most.

It's true, in the land of automotive manufacturing the man with a polo shirt and clipboard is king.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I once walked out of a Dunkin'Donuts in Charleston and immediately got buzzed by the An-225

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jesus

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've been holding off listening to the new Iron Maiden because I don't want to spoil the ending of this.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:justpost:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Everything I've seen about that aircraft has been based on an absolutely delusional view of the certification process. He's currently saying they want to be delivering aircraft by the end of 2017.

They'll be lucky to have a type certificate by the end of 2020, and that's assuming the certification process goes well.

I can't wait for the part 23 rewrite...

Holy poo poo you ain't kidding. The avionics stack is a pair of iPads.

http://mashable.com/2016/02/21/cobalt-valkyrie-co50-faa-analysis/#Y4bPHInp5Zqr

quote:

You wouldn’t think that an iPad in an airplane is a big deal, but when it’s used as part of flight control, it’s not only big, it’s verboten.

Three months ago, Cobalt aircraft made a big splash when it introduced the Valkyrie Co50, a Canard-style five seater, with sexy looks and record-shattering speed.

The Valkyrie Co50 can fly at up to 260 knots (roughly 299 MPH), significantly faster than other single-engine aircraft, which typically cruise at a max of roughly 242 knots. The plane stands at 30 feet long and 10 feet high, with a wingspan of 30 feet. Its unusual design, forward stabilizer and rear-positioned engine promised an usually smooth ride with, even in low altitudes, little-to-no-chance of a stall. According to Cobalt, 30% of fatal aircraft accidents are in low altitude stalls, a claim supported by the the Air Safety Institute's 2012 general aviation accidents study.

The company quickly racked up a reported $50 million in orders for a $749,000 aircraft that won’t arrive until 2017, if Cobalt and its customers are lucky. The hold-up? FAA Type Certificate process, which Cobalt describes as long, cumbersome and expensive.

“Initial investors ask how much it costs to certify a plane. No one has an answer,” said Cobalt founder and CEO David Loury in a discussion with Mashable days before the company announced the extent of its Valkyrie Co50 back orders.

The French entrepreneur and pilot understands the need for certification, “because it’s good for the safety of everyone,” but he contends that the process is needlessly slowing down the industry and increasing costs.

For example, when Loury was designing his planes, he found a $30 fuel valve — one that’s typically used in tractors — would work in the Valkyrie. However, according to Loury, when sold as a certified aviation part, the same valve costs $3,000.

Regulators can’t keep up with what the aircraft designers are doing, said Loury, and, worse, the FAA continues to add new regulations — usually in response to air disasters.

Loury contends that, on Cobalt’s end, especially for things they cannot test in the air like a “ground vibration survey," it takes “six months of work and thousands of dollars for one [certification] paragraph.”

So while Cobalt continues to work on satisfying those pages and pages of regulations with the upcoming Co50, the aeronautics company has fast-tracked its experimental aircraft, the Valkyrie-X. It, too, needs flight certification from the FAA to fly. However, as an experimental aircraft, it can be sold to a customer in advance of the certification process. Plus, the experimental aircraft certification is far less strict and also prevents anyone who buys a $595,000 Valkyrie-X from using it for business or as an air-taxi.

Customers actually buy an uncertified Valkyrie-X from Cobalt and then the customer and Cobalt go through the certification process together. At that point, it is up to the customer to obtain the experimental certificate from the FAA. With that done, the aircraft can be used in air-racing, exhibitions (air shows) and for research and development.

An experimental plan also means that Cobalt can do things not necessarily sanctioned by the FAA – even though the FAA inspects every Valkyrie-X for air-worthiness.

The FAA has approved the iPad for use as secondary navigation devices, but in the Valkyrie-X, it’s used to communicate with main flight system over Bluetooth. “That’s not possible in certified world, but is possible in experimental world,” said Loury. He also said that tablet-based controls are the wave of the future and fully expects that aviation will ultimately have 60%-to-70% software-based controls.

Loury is not alone in his concerns about the FAA’s seeming allergy to innovation. A recentSlate post highlights five areas where the FAA’s overly cautious approach may be holding back advancements in electric-powered air-travel, flight speed and autonomous passenger vehicles.

At January’s CES 2016 in Las Vegas, Ehang introduced an exciting, 500 lb. autonomous air taxi that basically flies like a giant quad-copter. The company said it was working with the FAA to secure U.S. flight certification. However, the FAA’s reputation for caution is so pervasive that no one believes that the FAA will ever certify autonomous passenger vehicles for commercial flight.

The strategy of working with the FAA to satisfy regulatory demands on the Valkyrie Co50, while still selling the experimental Valkyrie-X right now is one way Cobalt protects itself from a fate that’s befallen other upstart aircraft manufacturers.

“It’s not like other companies where you launch a product and people buy it because it’s cool.

“It’s not like other companies where you launch a product and people buy it because it’s cool. Here you’re putting your life at stake with an unknown name, so it’s difficult to launch an airplane manufacturing company,” said Loury who told me that smaller aeronautics firms like Eclipse (now part One Aviation) and Adam Aircraft Industries have suffered because they got stuck behind the expensive and time-consuming FAA barrier.

When asked about the Valkyrie Co50 certification process and how regulations might be impeding aircraft innovation, the FAA sent Mashable this comment:

The time to obtain a U.S. certificate on an aircraft like the Co50 depends on the type of certification being sought and the complexity of the product. Regulations allow for three years from the date of application for a [Title] 14 CFR Part 23 certification with options for extensions of the certification program. To date, we have not received a formal application to certificate the Cobalt Co50 Valkyrie.

It's true, Cobalt is still working its way through satisfying all the regulations before they submit their application to the FAA.

When Cobalt does finally submit the Valkyrie Co50 for certification, the FAA could grant it in three years, but it might also take four or more years. It’s a question everyone asks Loury. He really doesn’t have an answer. “I keep pushing because we have no reference…in how long it takes.”

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

After a lifetime in the near center of a circle drawn around Pope, Shaw, Myrtle Beach and Cherry Point, seeing .mil craft on a near daily basis, I can say that the Raptor is absolutely freaky quiet.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bro, do you even area rule?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

When LockMart got the F-35's computer to crash only every ten hours instead of every four hours as before, the USAF said "okay, cool, good enough, we'll accept it like that"

So ten hours at let's say 200 MHZ without crashing well that's how many processor cycles that worked vs one that didn't soooo (200000000*60*60*10) / ((200000000*60*60*10)+1) = 99.999999999986% reliable! :v:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The previous winter rescues were in early april when nautical twilight was still available briefly and in september the day before true sunrise. The dead of June is a whole different tier from anything attempted before and I'm not sure how a twin otter can fit that pilot's balls.

E: They will have a full moon at least.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 18, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Something something wasted fuselage volume

Raise the floor another 15" and sell amazon all the extra cube.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://youtu.be/KeGidtk6t2Y

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TBF any Brazilian with that much money to throw around probably built their stack on a pile of corpses

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PT6A posted:

The 747 is the best looking jet airliner ever produced and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

Also, the 747-200 is the best looking passenger variant of the 747, before the upper deck got extended and the lines were ruined.

Sitting at Heathrow and seeing all the BA 747s come and go is quite something. The A380 is, on the other hand, ungainly and hideous.

747-SP 4 lyfe

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Just got passed these pics of the AA 767 turbine disk that escaped to freedom recently.

So looks like the close-up is the left side of the fracture at 12:00 in the top photo. The other visible fracture surface at 7:00 displays the same heat discoloration in the same relative location to the axial cross section.

Those oxides only form in the presence of air, that ring shaped section was ~600F when the disc let go. No signs of scoring on the inside diameter so I believe the face of that disc was dragging on something it wasn't supposed to.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

We could have had a thirty‐six cylinder engine.

Dry weight of three short tons.

Three megawatts at cruise.

Displacement of 7,756.3 cubic inches. That’s half a hogshead, or seven Melchiors.

Wärtsilä's biggest marine diesel displaces 480 gallons per cylinder

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Trump's saying he'll cancel the 747-8 AF1 order, which is being framed as him being fiscally sound, but most journalists haven't dug deeply enough to see that the plane won't be operational until 2020-2024.

Isn't this near the last chance before they close the 747 line?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Trumpolev-160

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

One day Parker and Stone are going to do a two man stage show about pinnacle 3701

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Hah the main gear extended after the front 1/3rd snapped off? Nice. Gotta be weird as hell to be flying along and then "huh wait why aren't the controls responding? why am I pitching up?? WHERE'S THE REST OF MY PLANE?!?"

F15 pilots don't have the best reputation for noticing when their wings fall off.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 27, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Just when I thought I couldn't love my tiny decrepit '81 diesel Rabbit Truck any more, I tried the heat for the first time a few minutes ago and learned the blower sounds exactly like a JT8D :glomp:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

No robin's egg interior, 2/5

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A concern of Galaxies

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I hope that guy sues for dog dental bills. On a real aircraft, would the pilot in command be responsible if his plane was struck by non-flying livestock during cruise?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

US driving tests: same as above plus my dude was on his phone the entire time

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I don't understand why Boeing can't just publish the relevant Rz spec and wash their hands of the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is the best evidence yet that Lil' Kim Jr's inner circle is trying to kill him, they have AN-2s and money is no object so why the hell not give him a prop single with style and frightening stall resistance