Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you ever find yourself thinking "I can't believe no one has ever tried this extremely simple thing before", there's probably a reason why it isn't being done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Space Station Door Gunner

How can you shoot space women and space children?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the space force adopts navy ranks, good luck to any airman coming from tech school figuring out what rank anyone from the space force is. The navy's ranks are confusing as poo poo and everyone has shiny things on their shoulders.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they weren't there, some idiot would have driven past the plane, taken a picture of "this rear end in a top hat is driving his plane on the highway" and then they'd get in front of the plane and go 5 under the speed limit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Neat. I just watched a video of a guy who bought one of those and flew it across the country.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How many marines can we pile into that contraption during testing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's a 737-Max (sorry this joke only makes sense to my immediate family because we had a black and white cat named max)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Everyone's a wire fuckler until the real wire fuckler shows up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can I buzz the tower

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There's a great 1970's training film from a British car company that's been posted in (I think) the OSHA thread before, that lays out the entirety of their quality control process: don't make mistakes. Forget about procedural or engineering controls or anything like that, we'll build fine cars as long as every individual just does their job flawlessly, every single day, forever. And any time we don't build a perfect car, all of the blame falls squarely on Bruce for not using the right size bolt in attaching the brake line bracket.

This reminds me of a story about when Packard got the contract to make Rolls Royce Merlin engines for the P-51 and the Packard guy went to the office of someone at rolls royce and said that it wasn't possible for Packard to make the engines based off the drawings that were provided. The rolls royce guy acted smug and asked if it was because the tolerances were too small, and the Packard guy said that they used automated machines to make everything and the tolerances were all too loose. Apparently when assembling the engines, rolls royce had fitters who would file down parts that were out of spec and basically made everything a custom fit for each engine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are built with submarine steel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just put a windmill on the hydrogen factory. Place the factories next to each other. When one blows up, the shockwave will spin the windmills of the other factories.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Warbird posted:

Folks can someone clue me in on what the red lines are delineating on the map here? The recently popped up in my app and I can’t sort out what they’re for.

There's a purge ordinance in effect. Good luck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

There is a photo in one of my reference books of a Soviet test at IFE that was literally regular TVs hung from the cabin ceiling, a la the classroom set up we had at my high school.

The authors, naturally, comment on how hilariously unsafe this would have been in an accident.

Only unsafe for people at the front of the plane. Killing off the wealthy and the leadership of the plane sounds like a perfectly cromulent communist plan of action.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
God drat it Buck! You're the last person I want to see, but you're the only one who can do this. This doesn't make up for what you did at Rio Belcho.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

The KC-130 is still in production, I'd assume they'd recover what they can for parts and use the fuselage for loadmaster training or something.

"And this is the part of the plane where you shout 'nonner' at people."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

If he fell before restarting

He would have plenty of time to climb back up before that plane got near the ground.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Love when my plane oscillates up and down 20 feet when I'm trying to land.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

e: yeah, the comment that his canards are stalling sounds plausible. In a canard design the canards provide lift and keep the nose up, so if they stall the nose will drop, immediately putting the canards back below their critical angle, bringing back the lift, raising the nose again, and so on. lomarf if he literally just has them installed at the wrong angle of incidence; you'd think that would be day 1 clean-sheet aerodynamic design

Would that be what's causing the oscillation? The canard stalls, the nose drops, the canard gets lift again, which lifts the nose, which causes the canard to stall again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone post that thing about the guy saying if you don't have at least one negligent discharge a year, you aren't handling your gun enough, but make it about planes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He really buttered the bread on that landing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder if birds have a better inner ear than we do and it auto corrects back to horizontal unlike ours.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You know what, birds probably just rotate their head so they always feel a downward force so it probably doesn't affect them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A lot of birds are like that. In turn, their brains developed very advanced stabilization. They walk around with their heads bobbing because they need to keep their head in one place to keep their vision stable. They walk forward and slowly move their head back until they can't and then they dart their head forward and do it all over again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Murgos posted:

Apparently nature hasn't figured out how to deal with gimbal lock avoidance on their inertial measurement unit design.

Man 1, God 0.

When does the bird go into gimbal lock?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The wheel part would have to either be a totally separate living entity that would need its own way to gain nutrients, or be fed by the man animal somehow, or it would need to be bone or keratin or something. No idea how the first option would work, and the second option could only be that one size for the animal's entire life. And if it breaks, you're screwed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's a thing that Destin from Smarter Every Day says sometimes which is that he always wants to be the dumbest person in the room, and I think that's the best mentality. Some people want to be the smartest person in the room, so they attack and ignore anyone that's smarter than them, and surround themselves with yes men and idiots.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

They must be continually training pilots for these things. All the guys I knew that used to fly them when they were decommed are WELL retired now.

Wikipedia says they flew until 2008, so maybe there's a few pilots still around that are rated for them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

They've kept flying them around Nellis despite being retired. Dunno if its civilian or military pilots, it could very well be the same retired guys as civilians.

Theres been many documented instances of them flying around Area 51. They're probably doing testing of radars, but of course alien technology cannot be completely ruled out :tinfoil:

That must be a pretty sweet gig. Fly a cool plane, get out or retire, and keep flying it for testing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rudest Buddhist posted:

My favorite part is that he wanted to build one. So he got the plans and called his buddy "who can build anything."

Haha, hoping to get there some day.

That's the dream. I want a P-51D one day. I don't need a real one, but a fake one would be good enough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

3/4 scale and an ultralight engine? How am I going to pour lead on Jerry while diving out of the sun at 400mph with an ultralight engine?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 24, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He will die in the plane, but die officially at the hospital 20 minutes later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm studying electrical engineering, not aeronautical engineering, but it seems like there would be way too many losses to be able to figure out the thrust of the engine just from the weight on the nose wheel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Please tell me that's from a movie and it's not real.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

otoh this XF-85 is real and actually flew

Reading up on this, the point apparently was to fly a bunch of B-36s into a combat area, each B-36 drops one XF-85 which goes and does dog fights, and then it comes back and gets picked up by a B-36.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

brains posted:

"the russians used a pencil"

I know you're posting this as an example of dumb memes that are false, but I am still honor bound to post that the Russians and Americans used grease pencils, and Fisher sold his space pen to both NASA and Russia's space program.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

What was the captain’s meal?

He had the lasagna.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

If you're not leaving the terminal and going to the New England lobster market then I can't even

I can't hear about lobster without hearing "would you say they're equivalent, as lobster?" and "they're coming out of the gulf of Maine".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

When old f1 cars were called bath tubs full of gasoline, I don't think this is what they meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, it blows having to pop down to the JFK duty free for bread and a dozen eggs.

For real though, I rarely buy anything more than a meal in an airport. I think most of us are the same. Why do you ask?

I forget what comedian it was, but they did a bit about getting to the airport just carrying all their clothes loosely and being relieved to see that there is a luggage store in the airport.