Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Hmm. The Vertigo 2015 preview has some pretty good stuff in it. I'll read anything by Lauren Beukes and UnFollow had an interesting premise. But... Lucifer? Really? I know that there's a TV series, so money to be made and all that, but I'm pretty sure the Carey version had a fairly definitive ending. Seems like a tough act to follow. Mind you, this is from the same company that made Before Watchmen so I shouldn't be that surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Street Soldier posted:

So when should I stop reading Fables so I don't get disappointed?

I stopped reading after Bigsby got turned into glass/crystal/can'tremember and got shattered, which is somewhere around issue 134. Really loved it prior to that though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Twilight Children preview won me over, as if there was any doubt in a Hernandez/Cooke teamup.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Read the last issue of Sandman Overture that just came out.

Gonna have to give the whole series a re-read, because I wasn't sure what was happening like 75% of the time.

But drat did it look pretty.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Heads up. Gilbert Hernandez n' Darwyn Cooke's Twilight Children starts this week.

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclusive-vertigo-preview-comics-superstars-team-t-226574

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

onefish posted:

Vertigo 101 sale, possibly the best single sale I've ever seen on Comixology.

Full runs of Preacher, 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan, Y: The Last Man, DMZ, Ex Machina, Scalped, American Vampire: Volume One, Sweet Tooth, and the first 10 trades of Hellblazer, at less than $1/issue ($5 per trade--Preacher and Ex Machina are deluxe trades so it's $30 for all of Preacher and $25 for Ex Machina). Plus Daytripper, V for Vendetta, Pride of Baghdad, Trillium, and a few others tossed in for kicks. (Looks like The Losers full run, 32 issues in two $5 volumes, is also down there--discussion and reviews of it aren't bad either.)

Holy macaroni!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gonna nab Ex Machina and The Losers and maybe Sweet Tooth.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Endless Mike posted:

Gonna nab Ex Machina and The Losers and maybe Sweet Tooth.

Ex Machina has the most naive view of politics I think I've ever seen in a comic book, which is saying something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ulmont posted:

Ex Machina has the most naive view of politics I think I've ever seen in a comic book, which is saying something.

Ooh Ooh. Comic book smackdown.

Actually, I'm legit interested in this. Do tell.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ooh Ooh. Comic book smackdown.

Actually, I'm legit interested in this. Do tell.

I'll have to go back through and reread to call out everything in particular, but in general we see that Mitchell Hundred is that rare straight-talking politician who has positions that both parties hate and yet is able to pull everyone together through Being Right.

It's a pretty common fantasy that somehow things don't get done in politics because there is a Great Man missing, rather than because people have fundamental disagreements about core issues.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember some of that in the first volume of Y: The Last Man, too, with the Republican Wives storyline.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ulmont posted:

I'll have to go back through and reread to call out everything in particular, but in general we see that Mitchell Hundred is that rare straight-talking politician who has positions that both parties hate and yet is able to pull everyone together through Being Right.

It's a pretty common fantasy that somehow things don't get done in politics because there is a Great Man missing, rather than because people have fundamental disagreements about core issues.

In that particular instance it's excusable, I think. Someone who had saved Tower 1 on 9/11 would be hard to oppose on purely ideological grounds without looking like a complete twat.

Also Hundred is as much of a hypocrite as anyone else in politics. He publicly supports gay marriage while being a closet homophobe, remains opposed to marijuana out of expediency despite using it privately for medicinal purposes, and ultimately kills Kremlin just to protect his political career before signing up with the Republicans to try and get into the White House.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Honestly I liked the whole Sci-Fi colors/alternate dimensions aspect of Ex Machina way more than I enjoyed the politics. As a sci-fi mystery story I must admit that I quite liked it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As just about everyone predicted, The Twilight Children is fuckin' aces. Great first issue.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How different is iZombie from the TV show? I'm watching the show on Netflix and it's a fun enjoyable thing so I'm thinking about checking out the comic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

How different is iZombie from the TV show?
Completely different. Even the name of the main character was changed so that they could make a lovely pun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Len posted:

How different is iZombie from the TV show? I'm watching the show on Netflix and it's a fun enjoyable thing so I'm thinking about checking out the comic.

I'm jumping in front of you in slow motion to save you.

I'm going "Nnnnnooooooooooo"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is the comic really that bad? That's a shame... I generally like Chris Roberson's work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Is the comic really that bad? That's a shame... I generally like Chris Roberson's work.

I liked it. Its certainly better than the show.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Is the comic really that bad?

Not at all. Give it a shot.
It is very different, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alhazred posted:

I liked it. Its certainly better than the show.

I feel the complete opposite.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I think iZombie works great for two volumes, especially one, then falls apart.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
In the comic, the zombie is named Gwen, she lives in a mausoleum, has a ghost and were-terrier friend, and never works with the police department. She does solve a crime or two, I think.

It's pretty different. I liked the first trade ok, but I just never had a drive to pick up more

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
It has beautiful Alred artwork but a story that is filled with terrible pacing. Maybe it works better in trade form, but I was reading it as a monthly and it just seemed that so little happens in the comic that it just kind becomes meaningless.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

It has beautiful Alred artwork but a story that is filled with terrible pacing. Maybe it works better in trade form, but I was reading it as a monthly and it just seemed that so little happens in the comic that it just kind becomes meaningless.

It feels that its missing a ton of issues. Things happen in the last trade that made no real sense as it seemed that it was just they were ending the series and this is how they were going to do it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobkatt013 posted:

It feels that its missing a ton of issues. Things happen in the last trade that made no real sense as it seemed that it was just they were ending the series and this is how they were going to do it.

Vertigo books have been doing that a lot in the last few years. Crossing Midnight was the first, but Coffin Hill and Hinterkind also wrapped everything up in a couple of very rushed issues.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

The Vertigo glory days are way over.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Vertigo books have been doing that a lot in the last few years. Crossing Midnight was the first, but Coffin Hill and Hinterkind also wrapped everything up in a couple of very rushed issues.

I recently reread The Losers and i still really like it but it kind of suffers from this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

nosophoros posted:

The Vertigo glory days are way over.

Whatever. Twilight Children was great and There's Mike Allred's new one in a week.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Vertigo is certainly being hamstrung by corporate politics in a way it wasn't in the glory days (the 90s and early to mid 2000s I guess) but naturally good books are still being produced there. Other publishers provide a more favorable option for creator owned work (of course they're not perfect as the problems with Scott Allie over at Dark Horse show) but Vertigo has cachet still.

I think iZombie was a victim of Roberson's falling out with DC. I'm surprised it wasn't just taken out back and shot and got an ending at all.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think the big question is: Why would a creator go with Vertigo over Image

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone give Clean Room a shot?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think the big question is: Why would a creator go with Vertigo over Image

Vertigo to me is the perfect encapsulation of all 'indie/alt/whatever' publishers (that don't fold). "Oh hey, we released this first set of series, they're incredible! Oh... now we released some alright series... Ok, the third set is all crap, go read stuff from the next new publisher." It's kind of weird, but I do feel like that's generally how it goes. It's interesting to me what causes it, is it essentially just the the companies becoming more corporate? Is it just the same-old fight on creator-ownership/control?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

surc posted:

Vertigo to me is the perfect encapsulation of all 'indie/alt/whatever' publishers (that don't fold). "Oh hey, we released this first set of series, they're incredible! Oh... now we released some alright series... Ok, the third set is all crap, go read stuff from the next new publisher." It's kind of weird, but I do feel like that's generally how it goes. It's interesting to me what causes it, is it essentially just the the companies becoming more corporate? Is it just the same-old fight on creator-ownership/control?

BUt Vertigo has been part of DC Comics from the beginning. It was never an independent publisher. It still releasing good stuff, but with Image you have more freedom. They also seem to have lost something when they let go of Karen Berger.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Eh, they were pretty alternative at the time, that was their whole angle. I think I'm safe with my phrasing. My point was that I feel like a lot of publishers have had similar bursts of coolness followed by a slow downgrade in quality. I suppose it could just be that being lucky enough to secure some abnormally awesome talent at the start is the reason they're successful enough to even be on the radar, and that constantly knowing what will be the best idea ever is really hard. :shrug:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hasn't Vertigo now become "everything published by DC that isn't part of the DC Universe"? That's a pretty big shift from what it used to be alone.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What does that even mean?

Like, if you set The Kitchen, Names, Bodies, American Vampire, FBP, Twilight Children ect in Gotham and Metropolis they wouldn't stand out?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 23, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

bobkatt013 posted:

BUt Vertigo has been part of DC Comics from the beginning. It was never an independent publisher. It still releasing good stuff, but with Image you have more freedom. They also seem to have lost something when they let go of Karen Berger.

Paul Levitz stepping down as publisher seems to have done damage too.

surc posted:

Eh, they were pretty alternative at the time, that was their whole angle. I think I'm safe with my phrasing. My point was that I feel like a lot of publishers have had similar bursts of coolness followed by a slow downgrade in quality. I suppose it could just be that being lucky enough to secure some abnormally awesome talent at the start is the reason they're successful enough to even be on the radar, and that constantly knowing what will be the best idea ever is really hard. :shrug:

Well, maybe provide some other examples?

Teenage Fansub posted:

What does that even mean?

Like, if you set The Kitchen, Names, Bodies, American Vampire, FBP, Twilight Children ect in Gotham and Metropolis they wouldn't stand out?

I don't think DC publishes anything outside of the DCU that isn't labeled Vertigo anymore. Like, right up to before New 52, they used to do that from time to time. The Mighty, Light Brigade, Major Bummer, etc. The 80s "Mature Readers" comics like Wasteland, Haywire, Skreemer don't count, they're part of what pushed DC to create Vertigo. I think that's what's being discussed.

Come to think of it though, there is one notable post-New 52 example of something outside the DCU that was published under the DC Comics banner - Before Watchmen. Also, newer trades of Watchmen are no longer labeled as a Vertigo comic.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 24, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think bobkatt really hit the hail on the head. If you're a reasonably well-regarded creator and have an idea for a new series, what does Vertigo have to offer that Image doesn't? We know how Image's deals with creators work, and the terms are very much favorable to the creators. I don't think Vertigo's are quite as known, but I imagine DC is maintaining a bit (or a lot) more control than Image does in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Well, maybe provide some other examples?
I'm not gonna provide examples because I was commenting on a weird pattern I'd noticed while reading comics, not trying to argue a point, and I am reading this at 7:50 AM on a Saturday morning. My initial post was intended as a "So do other people notice this too?" type thing.
I take it from your demands for other examples that you disagree that a lot of publishers start out strong and then get worse? You don't say you are, but otherwise you're just going "YOU'RE NOT FACTS ENOUGH" with no investment in the conversation, so I'm gonna benefit-of-the-doubt and assume you do have a stance. If you would like to have a conversation about this, please let me know your opinion and I would be happy to respond based on what your opinion is. I will not be doing a thing where I prove that my 'huh interesting' thought is the hard and fast 100% truth, though. :)

• Locked thread