Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been waiting for/buying The Unwritten in trade but this new issue sounds like it's worth not waiting for. Would I understand what's going on if I just get it or do I need to read the issues between the second trade and it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

UncleMonkey posted:

I would really, really recommend catching up on the back issues before you continue. There's been a ton of build-up and plot development to this point; and you'll probably want to get caught up. First, the series is phenomenal-- you think #18 blew you away now? When taken within the context of the series up to this point, it's even better. Second, there's several themes and plot threads that you probably started to notice in #18 and that will continue to be important moving forward. You can probably grab the first two trades and then get whatever back issues remain to fill in the gap. And then continue on the monthlies with the rest of us addicts.

Trust me, it's so worth it.

The biggest problem with this is having to wait a month for it to come out. (Related: I went and got the back issues from the end of volume 2 to now)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I liked Fables for the first 75 or so issues. But since then it's clear he's just milking it for money and really needs to let it drop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there anything in the rumormill about Lucifer hardcovers? I want to buy the series but not if hardcover versions are gonna be coming out soon

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bairfanx posted:

I felt like there were enough hints that it didn't really need to be stated.

I dunno have you ever been in tviv? There's times thing are very clearly stated and super obvious but goons still don't pick up on it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just started rereading The Unwritten because I fell behind and haven't read anything since 19. Why in issue 1 is some instances of the name Tommy Taylor in blue?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

It appears in blue when a real person is referring to the books; in all but one instance, it's part of a title.

I figured it was something like that but wasn't positive. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot how wonderful issue 12 was.

Len fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 11, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

No spoilers, but wait until you hit issue 24.

Just got to the first .5 issue. 24 was really quite good. I can't wait to see where that subplots going.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fables may have started sucking a long time ago but at least all the b-plots about Bufkin are fun. I'm half hoping he goes on to kill everyone and become the new Adversary. But that won't happen and it's going to just get more and more stagnant until sales finally drop off enough that it just ends.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Did Fables ever get good again or is it still aimlessly wandering?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bobkatt013 posted:

DC trade department is run by retarded monkey.

I wish this wasn't the case. I would replace my Transmet trades with hardcovers or absolutes without even thinking about it. I'd also love to get my hands on Lucifer in hardcover. They just really don't want my money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bobkatt013 posted:

They are releasing a new Sandman miniseries! I can not believe that the longest running title in Vertigo right now is fucken Fables. A title that ran out of steam close to 100 issues ago. The only downside of it ending is that means Bill Willingham might write other books.

Does Fables have a reason again? The closest thing to a story that happened since the war ended was Mr Dark and Frau Totendecker fighting and even that felt like a b plot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm kind of excited for the Fables Telltale game. I gave up on the walking dead around the mid-80's just because it got really dry and boring and their game actually was really loving good. Maybe they can do the same for Fables.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Endless Mike posted:

How many goddamned formats is DC going to release Sandman in?

How many formats will they make money in? That + 1.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just finished DMZ yesterday reading through the last half of the series in one go. Holy poo poo was that a read. I think Wood might be one of my favorite writers. I have yet to read something by him I don't like.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Other than the stories inside Absolute Death are there any other stories about her?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Did Fables ever pick up and get a story again? I last read around the time Frau Totendecker fought Mr Dark then just gave up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

krakagar posted:

Nope, not really. I'm glad it's ending so I can stop reading it. It was one of my favourites for such a long time, that it took me a while to realise how much it had lost its way,a nod then I just continued with it out of habit and loyalty. It really hasn't been that great since they ended the war. I don't really know how it happened, there's so much that could be done with the premise,but it's just so dull these days. Mr Dark was clearly supposed to be the new adversary, but there just never seemd to me to be much sense of peril there, and even Bigby's death didn't feel particularly shocking to me, ant it felt like he was finished with so soon after he turned up.

Plus, Willingham is a creepy weirdo, so there's that too.

I read your spoiler and now I have to ask for more details.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

There's literally nothing more to say. It just happens.

I shouldn't be surprised but drat. No cool scene to accompany it or anything? loving Willingham.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

...please elaborate?

Also, it sounds like you'd really dig Transmetropolitan.

Someone on the Internet said Wood tried to get her to sleep with him at a convention.

Edit: There was something that predated that but I don't remember what it was exactly. I just remember the back and forth about how a random Internet person saying something doesn't make it true.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Silhouette posted:

I wonder if Jensen Ackles has time in-between seasons of Supernatural to play Jesse? He'd be perfect.

Clearly it's going to be Seth Rogan as Jesse trying to breakaway from his "lovable stoner" career.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Madkal posted:

Forget ABC, send it to CW and have the character be in high school.

If it's coming from The CW they could introduce Jesse on Supernatural then based on how many fan fictions he appears in spin it off into a show.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I picked up The Wolf Among Us when it was on sale during the Steam event and I'm confused who the target audience is. I bought it under the assumption it was a prequel to the comic but it ends on the cliffhanger (seriously big spoiler about the end right here) of Snows severed head on the steps of the Fable building. If it isn't a prequel it makes sense to have that happen but if it is a prequel anyone who has read even issue 1 knows that won't stick.

Anyone know if it is/isn't officially part of Fables?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a prequel and is canon. They're probably doing it specifically to mess with people who have read the comics.

Like if I hadn't read the comics it would be a :tviv: moment. But knowing that doesn't stick really takes some oomph out of the cliffhanger ya know?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I grabbed all of The Unwritten from that comixology sale and have been reading through it but I feel like it's really dense and full of neat literary references I'm missing. Is there like a blog or something that covers little things about the series I might have missed?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shrdlu gets better right? :ohdear::smith:

Edit: I'm still holding onto the hope he gets better. Is the Fables crossover as bad as I hear it is? I just got to it.

Len fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 26, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's pointless. But you should just read the last issue of the crossover because the way it ends is great.

Man. Fables got WEIRD since I stopped reading.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Argue posted:

Don't think of it as a terrible arc of Unwritten, but a good arc of Fables. The crossover is worse than Unwritten but also leagues better than how the actual Fables comic ended that arc (it takes place in an alternate timeline where their bad guy wasn't beaten in the most anticlimactic fashion possible).

That's a little disappointing. I was kind of hoping that was actual plot in Fables. It would have made the series maybe worth checking out again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Madkal posted:

Got an email that Comixology is doing a Lucifer sale. 99c per issue. I haven't read it myself but I might check it out now.

Of course they do that on a week I'm poor :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hakkesshu posted:

That's why you buy them through the website.

I have to do this because the app keeps trying to use google accounts other than the main one. It's the weirdest drat thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I would have liked to live in the universe where we got that Fables instead of what we have now because that story seemed way more interesting than what we got.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Literally The Worst posted:

I would love to go back and read Unwritten and get all caught up but the minute they announced a Fables crossover that poo poo was dead to me. Ain't no getting the stink of Willingham off your poo poo.

That crossover was the best thing to come from Fables in years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Chairman Capone posted:

I would actually recommend the two Cinderella limited series that were spun off from Fables. They weren't written by Bill Willingham (actually I just realized they're written by the guy who did iZombie), and they were both fun James Bond parodies. I really enjoyed both of them.

Jack of Fables was pretty fun up until the Great Fables Crossover I finished that and just kind of stopped paying attention to both it and Fables only catching up to them in trade form from the library. Someday I'll get the rest of Jack and the main series. I think I got to the early 100's before I just stopped caring.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cptn_dr posted:

It was better than the best Fables, and worse than the worst Unwritten.

I would have read the poo poo out of Fables if the battle with Mr. Dark was going like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finally got around to finishing The Unwritten today. I'm not sure what I expected out of the ending but I enjoyed what I got. Although it left me wanting more the assholes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cptn_dr posted:

On my marathon reads, I always slip it in after the Fables crossover. Gets the bad taste out of my mouth.

I was trying to talk a friend into finally getting off his rear end and reading The Unwritten and I told him there's one bad arc near the end where it crosses over with Fables. It's the best Fables since issue 75 or so bit the worst Unwritten in the bunch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Madkal posted:

Unwritten. The answer is always Unwritten, especially if you like Sandman.

Unwritten is fantastic. Although it unfortunately suffers from being a series that's hard to explain.

Did anyone do an annotated Unwritten? Because I bet there's some cool things to point out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Treebeh posted:

I got burned out on Fables around issue 70 or so. Just lost all interest in the characters and setting.

I made it to like 119ish? Red was slumming it sad at the farm I think? Someday I plan to try and finish it but :effort:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cptn_dr posted:

When did they defeat Gepetto? That's about the point I stopped caring.

Somewhere around 75 I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I stand by it's the best thing to come out of Fables in a long time but the worst part of The Unwritten.

• Locked thread