Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Len posted:

Did Fables ever pick up and get a story again? I last read around the time Frau Totendecker fought Mr Dark then just gave up.

Nope, not really. I'm glad it's ending so I can stop reading it. It was one of my favourites for such a long time, that it took me a while to realise how much it had lost its way,a nod then I just continued with it out of habit and loyalty. It really hasn't been that great since they ended the war. I don't really know how it happened, there's so much that could be done with the premise,but it's just so dull these days. Mr Dark was clearly supposed to be the new adversary, but there just never seemd to me to be much sense of peril there, and even Bigby's death didn't feel particularly shocking to me, ant it felt like he was finished with so soon after he turned up.

Plus, Willingham is a creepy weirdo, so there's that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Len posted:

I shouldn't be surprised but drat. No cool scene to accompany it or anything? loving Willingham.

There was some kind of fight, but yeah, I think I'd just lost all interest in the characters by the time it happened and it just didn't mean anything. Also, I had to think who did it and how for a moment, so it's not like it really even stuck in my mind. Plus, I don't think it's going to stick anyway.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Aw man the first issue of Apocalypse got me so pumped for Unwritten again. then I saw that The Ship That Sank Twice was on Comixology store now and read it and got even more pumped and then I bought all the back issues that I don't have in digital in the sale and now I'm pumped to read the whole thing from the beginning again in one go.

Unwritten is pretty great, is what I'm saying. I've been reading it in monthlies since it started and I've probably forgotten a lot of stuff, so re-reading from the beginning is gonna be great.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I just finished my Unwritten re-read. It is so good, but dang does it suddenly grind to a halt when it hits the Fables crossover. I don't understand why it even happens. It's more of a Fables story than an Unwritten story, and seeing as it doesn't even take place in the regular Fables-verse, just some kind of grim-dark version, it seems kind of pointless. It should have happened in Fables instead without interrupting Unwritten just as it was reaching an awesome climax.

But apart from that, I'd forgotten so much good stuff. It's probably as good as Lucifer, and I hope it lasts at least as long as that did. It feels like the story still has quite a way to go yet.

Unwritten is great, is what I am trying to say.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Only 11 issues left not including the one that came out last week.

Aww man! That just makes me even more annoyed that they wasted 5 issues on the Fables stuff!

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

If you're not reading Unwritten, you're missing out on some magnificent craziness:

That's not even nearly the weirdest page from the issue. God I love this book so much.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Why did it have the Fables crossover? I mean I could understand if it was to boost sales, but its ending after its next storyline anyways.

The Fables crossover was pretty bad, but it did make sense in terms of the wider Unwritten story, dealing with how the different story universes fit together. And the last issue was badass. But yeah, it could have been done in less issues, and for me it killed a lot of the momentum of the story.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Len posted:

I would have liked to live in the universe where we got that Fables instead of what we have now because that story seemed way more interesting than what we got.

It was certainly the best Fables story for a long time. Man, I remember when Fables was one of the best comics out each month, something to actually look forward to, but these days I'm beginning to doubt how t hat could ever have possibly been true, it's so tedious. I'm not insane, it did use to be good, right?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Jedit posted:

Taking brutal advantage of time zones, I just finished it. It ended very much as I expected, as Mike's stuff often does. I think I'm pretty much his ideal reader, though.

That was loving perfect.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I'm pretty excited about Fables ending so I can finally stop buying it.

Does anyone remember when Vertigo was the place to go for awesome, mature, thoughtful groundbreaking comics? Now that Unwritten is over, they really haven't got much to offer, although I guess it was obvious that when Berger went it was in its last throes.

Thank goodness for Image comics, I guess.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Len posted:

I finally got around to finishing The Unwritten today. I'm not sure what I expected out of the ending but I enjoyed what I got. Although it left me wanting more the assholes.

God, it was so good. I'm angry that you've reminded me that it ended :(

I'm currently re reading Lucifer though. It's pretty great guys!

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for reminding me about the cancellation of Crossing Midnight, guys! That book was great, its such a shame he never got to finish it.

I'm currently about 3/4 of the way the my Lucifer re-read. Its just fantastic.

Also, if you love Mike Carey, you should check out his Felix Castor novels. They're sort of a John Constantine-ey occult private eye kind of thing, set in a London where suddenly one day ghosts and demons become a thing that are real. And they're really fun.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Buckingham's art isn't that special though. Especially not compared to Lan Medina who did the first arc.

Just for once, I'd like him to draw a character who is speaking with their mouth open. I know it's a minor thing but it really bugs me. There's barely a single instance of a character drawn talking with their mouth open. Plus Bigby's weird sort of melting droopy eyed face is awful.

Also, the illustrated panel borders were a nice idea for a bit when he started doing them, but now they're just kind of annoying and take up space.

I actually quite like Buckinghams art for the most part, which is why I guess those things annoy me so much.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Just finished reading Unwritten Fables. What a pointless diversion, both for breaking the pacing of the story (I feel for anyone who had to wait months for that to finish) and both for showing that Fables could actually have been decent if a better writer had a handle on it. It was good to see Mr. Dark actually be evil and do stuff instead of just nyar har haring in his castle and killing a few errant dudes.

Yes it wAs awful at the time too but you gotta admit it has a fuckin great ending.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Finally got around to reading the final Fables. For a comic that at one point was probably my most looked forward to release each month, I'm amazed by how little I really cared about it by the end,. It's a shame because I'm pretty sure it was a legit great comic at one point, but by the end I cared so little about any of the characters and wasn't at all invested in any of the conflicts. The Snow\ Red rivalry seemed so forced it was had to believe, and I don't think anyone ever seriously expected the series to end with Bigby as a bad guy, so there wasn't a whole lot of tension there. And Brandish had to keep fighting people for like a hundred issues and that was pretty dull too. So I'm glad to see something I once loved finally put out of it's misery.

I did really enjoy some of the back up material though. A lot of the 'Final Stories' after the main story were kind of fun and interesting and the Dare one particularly got a little pang out of me, which surprised me, seeing as how I thought I felt nothing for any of these characters.

Plus its good not to be giving Bill Willingham any money any more, since he seems to be going full on Frank Miller: http://www.themarysue.com/dissenting-opinions-may-occur/

Also, in Vertigo chat, I don't think anyone's mentioned The Invisibles which is pretty classic Vertigo. As for more recent stuff, you're doing yourself a massive disservice if you don't read Daytripper because it is a beautiful thing. I also have a massive soft spot for Army@love, if anyone even remembers that one.

Edit:

Alhazred posted:

Everything kinda fizzles out. Remember how Gepetto growing new wooden soldiers was an important plot point? That storyline is never going to be resolved

Did you actually read the last issue? Because this was addressed.

krakagar fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 4, 2015

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Gepetto makes a speech in front of his wooden soldiers and then it ends. That's not resolution

I guess. But it shows that Gepetto followed through with his plan to create more soldiers and try and build a new empire, which was always his plan. We don't see what happens next, but I think it's enough. The point of all those stories was to show that the mundy world is magical now, and also that there are plenty more stories to be told that we just wont see. Not everything gets tied up neatly in a bow. I guess they could have done another arc or a spin off or something about it if they wanted to, but you could do that with hundreds of other characters and sub plots. I don't think it particularly detracts from the overall ending of the series though.

Unless you're saying that they built it up to be a bigger plot point than it eventually turned out to be? I don't particularly remember it being a massive thing, but then again I haven't re-read any of the more recent Fables stuff and might well have forgotten the significance of it.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Generally if you introduce a plot point you should finish it no matter how unimportant is. Though it being unimportant is just sloppy writing in general.

I get what you guys are saying, and if you didn't like that particular part, that's fine. But I don't really see how it wasn't resolved? I mean he was threatening to raise an army again, and was then shown to be following through on that threat. It wasn't left dangling. Not that I'm saying Willinghams writing hasn't been sloppy in places, and there's lots I didn't like about parts of Fables, but I don't really get the problem with this one aspect.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Zachack posted:

If bloat and losing the plot get you off the list then better remove Transmet and Y, and maybe Lucifer, and definitely not Invisibles or 100 Bullets. Alternatively Preacher is representative of Vertigo's better output and despite bloat and meandering is an decently paced, entertaining book that doesn't crash and burn nearly as badly as other books from the same era, and also had a good wraps things up final issue.

Other good additions would be Sweet Tooth, American Vampire, Doom Patrol, Animal Man, and The Filth.

What this guy said. Especially about 100 Bullets which starts of great but looses momentum quickly.

I think The Filth might be Morrisons most perfect book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Hmm. The Vertigo 2015 preview has some pretty good stuff in it. I'll read anything by Lauren Beukes and UnFollow had an interesting premise. But... Lucifer? Really? I know that there's a TV series, so money to be made and all that, but I'm pretty sure the Carey version had a fairly definitive ending. Seems like a tough act to follow. Mind you, this is from the same company that made Before Watchmen so I shouldn't be that surprised.

• Locked thread