Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fnordcircle posted:

Yeah, it's gonna set me back a few but in a way it's good because it stops me from binging through all the series and forces me to take my time.

I've got Sandman 29-75 plus Orpheus as singles and could use some space. Any use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

If he doesn't, I may take you up on that...

Work something out and PM me, then. Just be aware that I'm UK-based, so shipping costs may render it uneconomical.

cyberpunksurvivor, get yourself to reading The Unwritten. You won't regret it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Soonmot posted:

I think that is what we're supposed to take from that story. I'm not sure what significance Pullman shouting about his right hand always getting destroyed is supposed to mean, though.

Redacting everything here, as it's all part of the core theme of the book:

Loss of the dominant hand is a trope in fiction, and this is a book about how stories shape our perception of the world. The great strength of the Unwritten cabal is that nobody tells stories about them, rendering them immune to the power of stories. However, while there are no stories about Pullman and so he cannot be influenced directly by stories, he remains the same person and so in terms of storytelling tropes, the same things must happen to him every time. This is why Pullman is so pissed about losing his hand all the time; it shows that despite everything, he can still be vulnerable to that power.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

The one vertigo title I hear people complain about a lot is Fables. Even then, it starts out nice enough, but Willingham didn't have the common sense to retire the series when the primary antagonist was defeated.

Or to realise that he's nowhere near as clever or subtle as he thinks he is. I mean, did anyone not figure out who the Adversary was years before the big "reveal"?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Len posted:

I just started rereading The Unwritten because I fell behind and haven't read anything since 19. Why in issue 1 is some instances of the name Tommy Taylor in blue?

It appears in blue when a real person is referring to the books; in all but one instance, it's part of a title.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Len posted:

I figured it was something like that but wasn't positive. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot how wonderful issue 12 was.

No spoilers, but wait until you hit issue 24.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FoneBone posted:

And isn't #36 out today? God, I love the Mr. Bun issues.

Yeah, 36 is out this week - I didn't say because it's delayed a day in the UK due to the Easter bank holiday, so I don't know if it's a Mr Bun yet.

But yes, I do like the Mr Bun issues.

I like the Mr Bun issues a lot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cervixalot posted:

How many issues is The Unwritten set to go for? I just marathoned 30-35 last night on Comixology last night and hot drat, I don't want this story to finish!

Mike C hasn't given a fixed number, but I vaguely recall the number 50 being bruited about a couple of years ago. Then again, this is the guy who said Lucifer would finish with issue 60.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bairfanx posted:

75 seems to be the capstone for anything that isn't Fables and Hellblazer

Where do you get that idea from? Only three Vertigo books ever ended at 75, and of those The Books of Magic was the only one where it was planned to do so - Sandman and Lucifer both overran. It's more common to have a planned finish at 60; Transmetropolitan, The Dreaming, Scalped and Y: The Last Man all finish as planned at that number.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bairfanx posted:

I meant that things don't generally pass 75 (you could say Lucifer and Sandman did with their unnecessary later stuff like Nirvana and Endless Nights).

OK, I get you. You did forget 100 Bullets, though - but not Swamp Thing, as I think it hit 75 before Vertigo launched.

Right, pedantry over, we now return you to your scheduled thread. :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

I always thought Preacher had some of Dillon's BETTER variety of faces (sometimes). He seems to have gotten WORSE with faces over the years, almost like he got into a routine.

Pretty much this. Dillon is a damned good artist and a favourite of mine for many years, but he's become lazy. You can actually see the rot set in as Preacher progresses - compare Tulip and Cassidy in issue 1 with the same characters in issue 65 and you'd almost be forgiven for not knowing they're the same people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

4 is the entire series. The fifth one is one shots and random stories

Yeah, ignore volume 5. It does have both the prose and illustrated Dream Hunters and Endless Nights, but unless you really want the crossover with Sandman Mystery Theatre you should just pick up the two TPBs and save your money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Get the 4 absolutes, and if you want, get the two trades of the additional stuff beyond the main series instead of buying the 5th absolute.

This. Absolute v1-4 cover the full 75-issue run plus Orpheus, which is all you need. From the stuff in v5, the pick of it is The Dream Hunters and Endless Nights, both of which are available as TPBs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Out of curiosity, how was the Sandman Midnight Theatre?

I couldn't say - I didn't really want it. :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bairfanx posted:

I didn't know someone could hate Flex Mentallo this much: http://www.tcj.com/flex-mentallo-and-the-morrison-problem/

That article summarises to "Grant Morrison has some good ideas, but his head is so far up his own rear end that he often forgets to tell a story". Which is not an unfair assessment of his career. If you've read Supergods, his book about the history of superheroes, you'll find that the section that coincides with his career basically runs "Some really good writers did some important stuff. Then I took a bunch of drugs and redefined the genre. (Repeat ad nauseam)"

On those occasions when he is on form he usually knocks it out of the park, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bairfanx posted:

This sounds like a pretty legit criticism of Supergods and... not much else?

What has he written where he's been so cought up with tossing out ideas that he's just forgotten to tell a story?

Most of the stuff people lionise him for, to be honest. The Invisibles is barely coherent half the time and the more King Mary-Sue Mob is in it the worse it gets.

Whenever Morrison gets given free rein, he always indulges in bouts of pointless psychedelic poo poo with optional mysticism and drugs. He's at his best when working to a fixed length in a story with no scope for bullshit - read We3 or Joe the Barbarian and you'll see just how good he can be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm a fan of a lot of Morrison's stuff but The Filth is just too much for my liking. It's like his Promethea, total self-indulgence. I just didn't think the plot was very good at all.

Promethea is Alan Moore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ OK, I get it. The sentence was ambiguous.

Shameless posted:

See, I think We3 and Joe are weak as far as story goes because they're just so... normal. So traditional.

I might give you a nod for We3, which is basically The Incredible Journey crossed with Robocop, but what's traditional about a story where a young boy hallucinates while on the verge of a diabetic coma?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

So how does 100 Bullets develop? I see praise for it everywhere, but after the first two trades I can't say I like it.

100 Bullets apologists keep insisting it gets better after the first two trades. Then the first three, the first four, and if you don't like it by then you're obviously not capable of appreciating good comics. The reality is that it's a paper-thin NRA wankfest and you've already wasted enough of your time and money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Is anyone else reading Punk Rock Jesus? I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it.

I'm reading it. It's a fairly pedestrian look at American reality TV. The only stand-out bit is in #3 when OH MY loving GOD IT'S REAL AND CHRIS REALLY IS THE SECOND COMING.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pugnax posted:

Anyone reading The Unwritten? I just cracked open #40 and feel like I haven't the faintest loving clue what is going on. Was there a 39a or something?

Not that I know of, and the XXa issues didn't link directly to the main story anyway. I'd have to dig them out to find out what you mean, though; #42 is out next week, so it's been two months since I read #40.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ Try collecting Judge Dredd. 19 volumes so far, and that's still just the first 15 years. If they collected everything to date right now it'd come to 60 volumes.

Len posted:

I wish this wasn't the case. I would replace my Transmet trades with hardcovers or absolutes without even thinking about it. I'd also love to get my hands on Lucifer in hardcover. They just really don't want my money.

Now they've run out of extra Sandman stories to recycle, I hope they move on to Lucifer. I have original issues apart from the first three trades (and Devil in the Gateway is signed by Mike, Chris Weston and James Hodgkins), but I'd still upgrade to four volumes of Absolute Lucifer. In a red binding to match the Absolute Sandman volumes, please.

The only other Absolutes I'd buy would be Absolute Unwritten - those blog/web pages have real content, but they're a bit of an eyestrain to read.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 4, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

This really is the saddest day. Hellblazer and John have been my constant companions and my constant go to title since I first got into comics 12 years ago. I don't know what to say. I guess I should just finish up buying the Milligan trades and then, I don't know, cry or something. That DCU title doesn't fill me with confidence, I'd love to be wrong, but drat. drat.

I can sort of understand the reasoning. John Constantine is one of the few characters in Big Two comics who ages in real time, and on May 7th he'll be 60. It can't go on much longer without turning into a Punisher MAX-style thing where you have to question it when the central character's age doesn't seem to restrict his activities. Picking a double milestone (300 issues, 25 years) to end the run and reboot is as good a place as any.

Also, I can't believe it's been twenty loving years since the Ennis run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The difference being that John is a mystical character and hand-waving his aging away with magic would get far less groans than with any other characters. Especially seeing as how this is a guy who tricked a loving demon into getting rid of his cancer.

And said demon later put it back again. Ellie might have fixed it afterwards, but it's safe to say the First of the Fallen undid all the repairs he'd made and she had no reason to do them all again.

Mike Carey told me more than ten years ago that John's age was starting to get handwaved already, which was annoying as Gemma and Cheryl continued to age normally.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Renzuko posted:

Time for me to try and make the internet chose for me.

So, I have the first 2 collected versions of preacher, and the first collected edition of saga. I have already read preacher about 4 years ago, so my question is, should I consume preacher first or should I be reading saga as soon as possible?

Read Saga.

Also, if we're going to be pedantic then there's been a Sandman-universe title running almost continually since January 1989. Sandman ran from 1989-96, a couple of months after #75 The Dreaming launched and ran until 2001, overlapping with Lucifer which carried through until 2006. There was a break of a year or two, then House of Mystery ran from 2008-11.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

The way in which Constantine shat on that scene bummed me out.

..oh god, oh god no, they're calling the new one Constantine so it'll tie into the movie, aren't they? :cry:

Technically the comic has always been called "John Constantine, Hellblazer", but it's been shortened by convention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RevKrule posted:

I don't think Abnett's doing any WFH for DC. Isn't the New Deadwardians still going?

New Deadwardians is meant to be a series of mini-series, I hear. It can be switched to the main DC imprint between bouts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

nosophoros posted:

I've just bought a humongous hardcover Vertigo The Invisibles edition. The thing's sized like a big-rear end bible containing all of the trades, it's absurd. I just had to have it!

Now to start actually reading the thing, I've yet to read anything Invisibles related.

Good luck with that. The bloody thing can take your hand off at the wrist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I just came to say that while I trade wait and it'll take a while to annoy me, I would have liked to have kept Fables (of all books) out of my Unwritten.

(I guess having Bigby written by Mike Carey will at least mean that he'll be super awesome for a bit.)

Given that the characters in Fables are all fictional, fitting them into The Unwritten shouldn't be a problem. Carey can feed them all to Mister Bun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Yeah but if they were going to go the "take a group of characters from Vertigo" route I would have rather seen Tim or John or literally anyone that wasn't tired old big bad wolf. But still, if there's any writer in the world I can put my trust in, it's Carey.

The Unwritten is all about repurposing classic characters, though. The Fables cast fit in a way that other Vertigo characters wouldn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

So is Astro City going to happen under Vertigo?

Apparently issue 2 is due July 10th, but there's no forthcoming date for issue 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

onefish posted:

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but -- if I don't currently own any Sandman, would the Omnibus be a good buy?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401241883/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Basically, will a DC/Vertigo HC of ~1000 pages fall apart? Reading will be reasonably careful and occasional, but that's a BIG book.

I'm told that the Complete Invisibles is fairly solid, and that's over 1500 pages.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Declan Shalvey is awesome. His three issues on the current Conan (9-12) are superb. Obviously, Dave Stewart doing the color helps a lot.

I knew Declan before he was famous - he worked in my FLCS for a bit. It's not the colourist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Madkal posted:

I usually trade wait Vertigo titles but Wake has me hooked too. I kind of like that it is a limited series. Means that every issue will be critical and so far the first two issues have been top notch.

But if they stick extra story pages in like they did with Punk Rock Jesus, I swear I will do murder. Don't they realise how much of a slap in the face that is to the people who support the books month in, month out?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

J.H. Williams III says the colors are off in that article. He posted the proper version on his blog.

The "proper" version looks identical to me. What should I be seeing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

An important heads up. I have word from Mike Carey that there will be no more issues of The Unwritten released in 2013. Don't panic - it hasn't been cancelled, just postponed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, that sucks a whole bunch.

It's probably a delay with the art.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Nope, seems the cross-over's finishing in October, then nothing in Nov/Dec, and then all new number one in January. There's also an OGN coming in the break.
http://www.newsarama.com/18686-after-fables-game-changer-unwritten-to-relaunch-in-2014.html

The OGN has been delayed due to the artist's inability to meet deadlines. Al Davison has had 40 pages palmed off on him. I hope you don't like the original artist's work; there have been some angry noises to the effect that they should just have given it to Davison in the first place, so you probably won't see that person drawing for DC/Vertigo any time soon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

d34dm34t posted:

That it is. It's nice to have proper Unwritten back after a few issues of the (hopefully soon to end) Fables cross-over.

Two more issues of The Should Not Have Been Written, then normal service resumes in the New Year. Beware the numbering reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, aside from a couple in the middle, it really disappointed me after the American Vampire anthology :smith:

At least Trillium continues to be good, and Hinterkind seems like it could be pretty interesting as well.

Hinterkind was much better when it was called I Am Legend and written by Richard Matheson.

• Locked thread