Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mystery in Space #1 good? Worth $8 on Comixology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Django Unchained #1 is out right now. I'm pretty sure the entire adaption will be through before it comes out here in New Zealand. I'm kinda worried I wont have the self control to wait.
Anyone buying it? Wanna review how it works as an issue?

edit: I thought Quentin was gonna script it himself. This is a pretty easy miss then.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey, one out of seven ain't bad. Actually I don't recognize anybody outside of Simone, Francavilla, Cloonan, and Rucka. How are the other guys?

Jeff Lemire rules. Check out Sweet Tooth and Animal Man (especially the first trade.) He's illustrated some really nice short stories in previous Vertigo anthologies (Mysteries in Space, Ghosts, Time Warp)
Fawkes writes Justice League Dark and Constantine with Lemire which I think are pretty decent.

edit: Check out Lemire's recent $1 digital Superman comic. It's super sweet.
http://www.comixology.com/Adventures-of-Superman-2013-2/digital-comic/APR130208
His Essex County is very reminiscent of this. Just transpose in hockey for Superman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 31, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope there's a 99c digital sale on Sandman coming to promote it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Kull the Conqueror changed his post after I posted that.

But put them side by side...

And DC just posted this image in solicitation.

I expect by the time it's printed, we'll have this

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What's specifically Hellblazer style? One of the books literally says in the description "This is a series full of magic, madness and murder."
A handful of new works isn't bad after the last year propped up on a couple of movie adaptations.

Anyone know much about Caitlin Kittredge? From Wikipedia her adult novels are werewolf related, and her y.a. books are steampunk/H.P Lovecraft. It all sounds a little naff, but I haven't actually read anything :shrug:

e: It's neat they have a woman in her 20's writing something, regardless.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 2, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

None of the new batch have been announced as limited.

edit: Apart from Sandman Overture.
ee: And The Witching Hour being a one-shot anthology.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 2, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's completely fantastic. Snyder's best comic.
It's on hiatus now so you can catch up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone read the Witching Hour anthology?
I liked the last couple, but not many of the creators grabbed me on this one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone recommend Coffin Hill?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thurm posted:

A book by Neil Gaiman and J.H. Williams III sounds so tempting. Would I have to have read all of Sandman to get Overture?

Sandman is on sale this week on Comixology this week if you do intend to catch up.
http://www.comixology.com/The-Sandman-Overture-1-Plus-Sale/comics-collection/1572
I just started, myself :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Check out Punk Rock Jesus for more of that dude. He wrote it too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just picked up the new Dead Boy Detectives collection that came out today on Comixology. There's a mis-print in the description of it being issues 1-7, when it really has the parts from the recent Vert anthologies and 1-6, but at $10 is a nice saving on getting all of that individually

I've just read the first (only?) issue of Sandman that featured them. I assume I'm good for this?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 2, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anybody up to date on Coffin Hill and FBP? How are they goin'?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In October the current Vert ongoings are using their front covers as story pages.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/07/11/vertigo-releases-defy-comics-that-start-story-on-cover
I wanna ask again, how are Coffin Hill and FBP going? Nobody reading the current books?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I want FBP to be great pretty much because of this cover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bodies was pretty interesting.
Anyone try CMYK Magenta? I'm hearing it's much better than Cyan was.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Neat-o.
I still haven't finished the Sandman, Preacher, Transmet or Scalped complete runs I bought from Comixology sales, but I'll add this to the pile. :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Vert comic out this week called The Kitchen, which I only heard about today in the shipping thread.

It's about a group of mob wives who take over when all of their husbands are arrested. Ming Doyle art.

I'm buying that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2014/12/15/vertigo-group-solicits-march-2015

STRANGE SPORTS STORIES #1
Written by various
Art by various
Cover by PAUL POPE
1:13 Variant cover by MIKE MITCHELL
On sale MARCH 18 • 40 pg, 1 of 4, FC, $4.99 US • MATURE READERS
Comics’ top talents, including some making their Vertigo debut, take on the classic DC Comics anthology title for four issues of strange, scary, sexy and sensational sports stories. Featuring stories and art by Brian Azzarello, CM Punk, Paul Pope, Gilbert Hernandez, Lauren Beukes, Ben McCool, Ivan Brandon, Monica Gallagher, Lee Loughridge, Nick Dragotta, Christopher Mitten, Darick Robertson, Mark Finn, John Lucas, Gabe Soria, Ronald Wimberly, Michael DiMotta, Tim Fish, Rael Lyra and many more!

Ahaha awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For any Sweet Tooth fans, there's a new story in Vertigo Quarterly Black this week.
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/01/26/preview-monday-gotham-by-midnight-3-and-vertigo-quarterly-black-1#17

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 27, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone try Effigy today?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They're putting out new series at a pretty decent rate recently. I've only been following Bodies and The Kitchen (as well as continuing American Vampire) so can't talk to Effegy, Wolf Moon and all that, but I like those a whole lot.

e: Of course Sandman and Astro City aren't brand new ideas, but they're sure not nothing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 18, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Vert editorial stuff coming out of the DC move.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/03/molly-mahan-moves-coasts-for-dynamite-to-dc-comics/

They don't look miserable!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 3, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In recent years, I've loved Scott Snyder's American Vampire, Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth and Trillium.
Apparently Seaguy is getting a third volume some time in the future. Read Seaguy. Seaguy is great.

e: Oh, in case anyone missed this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bF_quwNtw

quote:

Based upon the characters created by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth and Mike Dringenberg for DC Entertainment’s Vertigo imprint, LUCIFER is the story of the original fallen angel. Bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, LUCIFER MORNINGSTAR (Tom Ellis, “Merlin”) has abandoned his throne and retired to L.A., where he owns Lux, an upscale nightclub.

Charming, charismatic and devilishly handsome, Lucifer is enjoying his retirement, indulging in a few of his favorite things – wine, women and song – when a beautiful pop star is brutally murdered outside of Lux. For the first time in roughly 10 billion years, he feels something awaken deep within him as a result of this murder. Compassion? Sympathy? The very thought disturbs him – as well as his best friend and confidante, MAZIKEEN aka MAZE (Lesley-Ann Brandt, “The Librarians”), a fierce demon in the form of a beautiful young woman.

The murder attracts the attention of LAPD homicide detective CHLOE DANCER (Lauren German, “Chicago Fire”), who initially is dismissive of Lucifer. But she becomes intrigued by his talent for drawing out people’s secrets and his desire to dispense justice, doling out punishment to those who deserve it. As they work together to solve the pop star’s murder, Lucifer is struck by Chloe’s inherent goodness. Accustomed to dealing with the absolute worst of humanity, Lucifer is intrigued by Chloe’s apparent purity and begins to wonder if there’s hope for his own soul yet.

At the same time, God’s emissary, the angel AMENADIEL (DB Woodside, “Suits,” “24”), has been sent to Los Angeles to convince Lucifer to return to the underworld…can the Devil incarnate be tempted toward the side of Good, or will his original calling pull him back toward Evil?

Ha!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 12, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My only hope is that it'll spur a Comixology sale on the series :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SDCC: Vertigo Adds 12 New Titles to Its Fall Lineup
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/sdcc-vertigo-adds-12-new-titles-to-its-fall-lineup

quote:

In addition to continuing series "American Vampire," "Astro City" and"Suiciders," DC Comics' creator-driven imprint Vertigo will launch twelve new titles from both Vertigo veterans and creators new to the line, including Darwyn Cooke, Gilbert Hernandez, Mike Allred, Holly Black, Lauren Beukes and Gail Simone. At their Comic-Con International panel on Thursday, Vertigo announced the titles and creative teams for the series, which will debut over a three-month period starting in October.

"This is a groundbreaking rollout for Vertigo and all 12 new titles represent the imprint at its core: smart and irreverent stories that will take you someplace stranger," stated Shelly Bond, executive editor of Vertigo. "I can't be more excited about the diversity of projects and creative teams we have lined up, from Vertigo veterans to a powerhouse of new voices and rising art stars."

October will see the launch of "The Twilight Children" #1 by Gilbert Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke; "Survivors' Club" #1 by Lauren Beukes, Dale Halvorsen and Ryan Kelly; "Clean Room #1" by Gail Simone and Jon Davis-Hunt; and "Art Ops" #1 by Shaun Simon and Michael Allred.

This November, "Unfollow" #1 by Rob Williams and Mike Dowling; "Slash & Burn" #1 by Si Spencer, Max Dunbar and Ande Parks; "Red Thorn" #1 by David Baillie and Meghan Hetrick; and "Jacked" #1 by Eric Kripke and John Higgins will arrive at retailers.

In December, "Sheriff of Baghdad" #1 by Tom King and Mitch Gerads; "New Romancer #1 by Peter Milligan and Brett Parson; "Lucifer" #1 by Holly Black and Lee Garbett; and "Last Gang in Town" #1 by Simon Oliver and Rufus Dayglo will hit the shelves.

"When Shelly Bond offered me an opportunity to launch something new at Vertigo, I took that as a chance to fast talk her into collaborating with Gilbert Hernandez, one of the world's great cartoonists," Darwyn Cooke said in a press release. "'The Twilight Children' has me excited in a way I haven't felt since I started work on Parker. To enter Gilbert's world and help him bring this remarkable story to Vertigo and our readers...well, I'm gushing, it's an honor."

The panel was also set to include a farewell video from "Fables" creator Bill Willingham, with issue #150 -- the last issue of the long-running series -- set for release later this month.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 10, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Promo video on the new comics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTNJuUYybtU

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 20, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We're getting a Hernandez/Cooke and an Allred comic. We're coming out on top.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Watching this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls8fhyiTvvc
There's a free preview comic for the new Vertigo stuff available tomorrow or Batman Day or something.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Heads up. Gilbert Hernandez n' Darwyn Cooke's Twilight Children starts this week.

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclusive-vertigo-preview-comics-superstars-team-t-226574

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Is the comic really that bad?

Not at all. Give it a shot.
It is very different, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

nosophoros posted:

The Vertigo glory days are way over.

Whatever. Twilight Children was great and There's Mike Allred's new one in a week.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone give Clean Room a shot?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What does that even mean?

Like, if you set The Kitchen, Names, Bodies, American Vampire, FBP, Twilight Children ect in Gotham and Metropolis they wouldn't stand out?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 23, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, anyone check out Clean Room?

I loved Twilight Children, but hated Survivors Club, so might not be trying everything unequivocally (Mike Allred and Tom King's comics very much aside. Very excited for Art-Ops this week!)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC's current Buy 1 Get 1 Comixology sale extends to Vertigo, so spend all your money.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Buy-One-Get-One-Free-Sale/page/8895?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sheriff of Babylon came out pretty drat strong.

e: Interview with the artist http://sktchd.com/art-feature/mitch-gerads-on-the-art-and-nuance-of-the-sheriff-of-babylon/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 4, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry to look like a crazy person being the only one posting in the Vertigo thread, but the collection of the old horror anthology Flinch just came out on Comixology.
Was that a good series? There's some cool talent in there.
https://www.comixology.com/Flinch-Book-One/digital-comic/317806?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flinch_%28comics%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He mustn't have too hard a feeling since he just launched a Vertigo comic :shrug:

I thought Last Gang in Town was a bit of a bummer. Quoting Wire lyrics in the margins turns me off rather than getting across a reverence for the setting.
e: Red Thorn turned me off with all it's Nirvana talk too. I don't know why that hangs me up. Don't reference music scenes, comics!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 23, 2015

• Locked thread