Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Jacco posted:

What kind of math do you learn while going through the nuke program and is there a lot of it?

uh, you learn very basic algebra and something that is supposed to resemble pre-calc, but really doesn't.

As long as you can re-arrange equations to solve for 'X' you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MonkeyFit posted:

Not really gonna happen. I don't think my high school grades are good enough to get a scholarship, I wasn't in ROTC in high school, and the point of me joining the military is to get a college degree out of it. That's my main reason for joining.

Speaking of which, how much time do nukes find themselves with to do college courses?

How long are nukes usually out at sea? (rough estimate is fine)

There's not a whole ton of time for pursuing a college degree as a submariner unless you're on a boomer. Additionally the type of nuke you are will affect how much free time you have either in port or at sea.

If you really want a college degree while you're in then my advice is to not be an electrician.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

I was told that the old San Fran is being towed over to be a prototype.

You'll notice, as your time in the nuclear navy continues, that anytime you preface a statement with "I was told," people will start to look at you as though they wonder if you are retarded.

There is a reason for this.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Yan Bao Qin posted:

Hey, I have to ship out to NY soon, there any good resources for a guy to get an apartment there?

eh, if you happen to spot a property rented by a John Smith who is actually a used cars salesman tell him to get hosed. He's an awful landlord.

MARF was the highlight of my 3.5 year naval career to date. Enjoy your time in new york. Cannot recommend going to Montreal and NYC at any and every possible occasion enough.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

KetTarma posted:

Another 12 hour day due to equipment failure. Today is not going to be fun in the critique (not my fault but I'm sure ill get asked the same questions over and over)

Why didn't you ask the tough questions? Trend analysis? When was the last time the PMS was performed correctly? When was the last time the equipment was logged out of specification? What was done to correct that?

Why are you breaking things?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Just got a nice long talk yesterday from my boat's EDMC about my intentions to get out in two years and persue either college or a career in civilian nuclear power. I'm currently a fully qualified EM and am working and intend to finish both QAI and EWS/EDPO prior to getting out.

Seemingly I have some pretty misguided notions about the availability of plants who'd be willing to start me out in SRO quals even if I get a Supervisory NEC before getting out.

He also made it sound like It'd be difficult to find a part time job to earn some scratch at while going to college full time with the training I've received. I couldn't really think of anything to refute this other than that I've heard of EOG techs moonlighting at hospitals?

Anyone know people who have gotten out recently that have, infact, hit easy street?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
ahahah Senior chief burel? White dude with white hair? Works at TTF now?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Now that I've been out for just under a year I look back at my time as a member of the submarine nuclear navy and wonder at how my reckless decision to goto a concert while we were in drydock and consequential DUI resulted in me being so happy.

Good luck to all of you potential nukes still in the pipeline who are headed underseas. I wouldn't recommend it to very many people

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

genderstomper58 posted:

sup sub nuke dui pal

also i went to a slayer concert when we were on 14 hour days in drydock >:]

Galactic concert after two months of no days off with three section duty days, port and starboard SRO.

I had bought the tickets when we were full three section with weekends being duty section only, but for whatever reason after we went solid every day became a working day, even after plant conditions became static.

Best concert I ever went to. God bless Jackrabbits and the florida state highway patrol :siren: :siren: :siren:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question, how long did it take most of you guys to qualify a watchstation. I am trying to figure out how abnormal this precom is (I have been here for half a year and I am about to qualify bnuke, and I'm not qualified any watch (but that is impossible soo)

depends on the watch-bill typically. If you're needed, you might qualify in under a week, maybe even a few days. I think typically for subs it was like 2 weeks for your first steaming watch station, then a month, then three months and a year or something like that. Those are the required timelines for plotting progress however, and not necessarily indicative of what actually would happen. All this poo poo can be found in your references on-board provided surface ships train the same way. Everything about your program is written somewhere and kept within your publications, you stupid nub bitch.

The big thing about qualifying is making sure you're doing it at a rate that your command and in particular your division appreciate you loving stupid dink nub bitch. Who cares what anyone else is doing? get hot already.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ryand-Smith posted:

I can't qualify a watchstation though. My ship.. is still under construction, and the cards do not exist (yet). I was just trying to figure out how the hell long it would or should take me to qualify in a place where a ship's program exists.

Who cares? Qualification times are all relative to what the needs of the command are. What has your LPO said? LCPO? being in a pre-com command sounds pretty swell as far as watches go. Qualify tagouts and electrical safety and you should be about as useful as any other electrician on board until the core is installed?

What are they telling you that is making you seek outside advice? Why do you care? Its odd that you want to compare this to anything else. You're not the first to arrive at your boat while it is construction are you? Qualification times are relative, particularly when you're import.

Ask your LPO or your DLPO or whatever you have on carriers. What have they told you?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

The Bush and it is not out to sea yet.

Show up. Ask question. Get answer. Nubs are getting dumber and dumber as the years go on.

You'll actually get put into some nuke training division to go over the differences between sub plants and carrier plants. I think it's like a 2 month program before they even let you into the plant. I don't know this for sure because I wasn't a skimmer but didn't your prototype LPO explain all of this to you before leave?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

No. They said read your orders contact your next command and get a sponsor. He/she will explain it. I am going to report next Monday but have not been contacted. So the quarterdeck will know what to do with me?

Yes.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Being a spazz is a weakness of mine so I will keep it in check. Do I need to go back to greeting every petty officer I meet?

You sound dumb. Good choice on surface for being unsure how to report or not be a waste of space. You'll pick up chief quick. gently caress you and die, star asap.

Edit: if no one told you that you're better than everyone else, generally speaking, then yes,address everyone as petty officer.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 29, 2014

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mad Dragon posted:

The happiest day of my boat life was when I became a permanent upper level watch. When I got to the boat, there was a dude who stood lower level the entire four years he was on the boat. :stare: I would have hung myself.

Hahaha we had a dude that wasn't trusted passed erll the entire time I was on the boat either. He was constantly greasy, never showered , and his rack looked like a pepperoni pizza napkin

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Cousarr posted:

Of course something like this would happen as I assume divisional TPO.

Call on your chief regularly during training to make sure he's "one of the good ones"

Do this when the CO sits in on training to show him your not afraid

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

nacirema posted:

I just got rejected from nuke because of my nationality. I guess Ill scrub decks and clean shitters for 4 years because apparently I'm a commie spy.

Second chances in life do happen. Don't treat this turn as stupidly as your last.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Stay away from the dive on the weekend. Friday evening through Sunday evening stay downtown. Come back Sunday and sleep in the building to top off hours. Rinse and repeat.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ChewedFood posted:

Has anyone gotten out and gone to a career in the space field?

I know a couple psychonauts and a dude that's real burnt out. Do those count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Depending on how quickly you take to classroom instruction I'd recommend as close to Charleston as possible. Civilians and officers aren't mandated hours as far as I can remember, so provided you understand whats going on living in Charleston would be ideal provided you don't have a family or anything. Mount pleasant would be alright if you have kids and need a larger home/yard area/ whatever, but outside of those requirements I would live in Charleston for sure.

• Locked thread