Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Also who else has heard of the Law of Conservation of Happiness?

We had that law, but with a variation. Because the boat runs on misery the sum of the happiness is always going down, which made it more important to steal happiness from others. Think of it as Happiness Entropy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I loved the poo poo out of power school. I'm so glad that I appreciated how awesome it was when I was in it, but then again, I had utter dread for what was coming at the end of the pipeline, and rightfully so. Easily the best time's I had in the navy, one exception being T-Track (which I understand is kind of lovely now), and the one time I got augmented. And even the augment only lasted for a week and a half instead of two and a half months. The fuckers gave the 'OMG you have to be back here right away its a military need!!!' and I had to rush back from leave the day after going on leave (which was a 14 hour drive by the way), fly out to Guam, and I get there and nothing is any different. They wanted me so they could pull a bunch of nukes off the watch bill because our EDMC was a piece of poo poo who couldn't do his job. Seriously, the Logroom Yeoman didn't stand watch, the EDMC's sidekick didn't stand watch, and there was another permadrill guy who didn't stand watch.

I guess the reactor needed another hot happiness injection. Rant over.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'd say the best part of the pipeline is at prototype after you qualify, because there's really no reason for anyone to make you do anything at all other than occasionally show up. Plus you're living out in town and getting paid bank. This assumes you're not going SPU. I was living it up for almost two months, I think I stood two watches and had to stick around for field days but that's about it.

There were huge mechanical issues with the MTS's when I was going through, and I didn't actually get my watches until a couple weeks before graduation. Heck, I finished my comprehensive exam before standing any watches. So when I finally qualified there was hardly any time left :( At least I wasn't dinq the whole time.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
If you're allowed to make small annotations in your qual cards (not forge signatures, obviously), then one of the first things you should do is make little marks on your BEQ qual for what is a prerequisite for whatever watch (for example, drain system might be a prereq for rover, so you write down 'srw' next to the drain system checkout). Do this for your preliminary in port and at sea watch station, and attack those quals. Make sure when you get your qual cards you also get your maintenance worker quals, and tagout quals (if applicable) as well as craftsman if you are in the Machinery division.

It's good to be the 'under the radar' type, especially if you make good progress while doing so. When in doubt, just hang out with your sea dad. If he's a poo poo bag, hang out with the guy who seems to get the most done in the division and ask questions about what he's doing without interfering too much.

People notice if you help out a lot, and they also notice if you work hard on qualifications, you have to find a balance, and this usually means staying on board all the god damned time. Don't be afraid to approach people for checkouts (draw a basic one-line diagram ten times, hope you remember most of it, go for the checkout), but usually you should be bothering people who aren't busy or are on watch (SRW isn't a workshield usually).

And finally, there's no confidants on a submarine, don't talk poo poo about anyone ever, even if everyone around you does. And don't be an insufferable know-it-all.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Oh yeah, if you have some sort of squadron indoc period or something like that milk it for what its worth, don't be begging to go to the boat. I got the best liberty ever and after my boat came in (golf courses in Connecticut ain't bad) it was like two weeks before they were asking 'Uhhhh... Where's Professor Butt?'.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
We had two OBNOBs on my boat. :smug:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
My SLPO was pretty great. I was on vols until I failed a CMR test, then he put me on 10-1's, like two weeks later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Vasudus posted:

Any school that offers you more than 12 credits for your military education, regardless of the MOS, AFSC or rate, you need to look it over with serious skepticism.

Conversely, because most CLEP exams are free to take while in the military, you'd be a fool to not take a couple. I clepped out on American Government, Humanities, and math. If you're going for a technical degree when you get out being able to knock out a few electives is pretty helpful. The math didn't help out at all (took care of 'general math' or whatever, but I had to start with precalculus).

I did get credit for my military experience, it was like 20-30 some-odd credits but they were all called 'Military Service General Elective', and Bootcamp gave me 'PE general elective'. All they did was artificially raise my class standing so I can register for classes earlier :v:

• Locked thread