Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Today was sucky. I worked on the battery today at the start of my watch and got a little diluted acid on me. The potable water system is down due to e. coli contamination. I sat on watch for 8 hours with an awesome itching sensation without being able to wash myself off.

During UNITAS, our evaporator took a poo poo, and we went almost 2 weeks without showers. At least the still was (barely) working, so we weren't completely up poo poo's creek.

A UNITAS is both awesome (got to see South America, crossed the equator, Panama Canal, & Straits of Magellan) and lovely (no shore power, evap poo poo the bed twice, 6-month ORSE workup :toot:). But hey, the coners got plenty of time off. :argh:

edit: former MM2/SS welder checking in

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We ended up throwing a way a lot of meat when one of our freezers failed. The sharks feasted that day.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

The longest I've heard of is 6 months. The average seems to be 2 months. This is apparently long enough for an ET to forget what "fission" even means or an electrician to not remember what "current" is. I'm not asking people to be able to graph power transients flawlessly but for someone to want a checkout on Reactor Protection Analysis and answer "What's bad about a core meltdown" with "It's bad." or an electrician getting checkout on Turbine Generators says "I dont know how they work, they just make electricity".. Well, let's just say that it makes you bitter.

I've been out for a decade, and I remember all of that poo poo. Kids these days. :bahgawd:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

belt posted:

Fixed that for you.

B-b-but, my STAR car. :qq:

6 and out, here ;)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I was told they were going to decommission my old boat, until Sir Skip Bowman himself said "gently caress no! Overhaul!" :haw:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

For some reason, the days before mids were my favorites. I would stay up all night playing video games or checking out Wal-Mart, to get my sleep schedule on track. If I had to do that now, I'd probably hate life.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

same as last hour

What's that burning smell?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

moker posted:

Tell that to a sub nuke heh

Tell that to a sub nuke that went on a UNITAS right before an ORSE. Did you know that there isn't a single port in South America that can support shore power? Guess what that means? Droppin' anchor with P/S duty days and P/S steaming watches, while the coners stand 5-section in-port watches. :toot:

And since ORSE was right around the corner, why not run drils the entire 6 months while painting/preserving?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Giudecca posted:

Actually, in both Brazil and Peru I believe we had shore power hooked up to a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

I'm sure neither of those piers could accomodate a dinky little submarine.

Fun fact: our anchor broke in Brazil, cutting liberty short for everyone. :mad:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Henry Meowlins posted:

What rate did you pick?

:laffo: they let you pick?

Here are your choices:

[]MM
[]MM
or
[]MM

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Yep. My choices -in order- were ET, EM, and MM. Guess what I was? :haw:

Fact: I didn't realize until recently that "knuckle-dragger" is a racist term.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

I love talking about wish lists.

I wanted a Seawolf-class or new construction. I got an OG 688 out of Groton. :toot:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Cerekk posted:

I should probably specify a Virginia class

They'll give you the most busted non i-boat they can find for you. That's where I went.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

moker posted:

Who gave you that av lol

Someone hit at least 10 people in TFR with these stupid things a few days ago.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

Edit: I have less than 30 days left til A School Comp. I'm willing to say it absolutely sucked and I'm glad we will be parting ways.
Wait. You thought "A" School sucked? :laffo:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Power school is basically the same thing as A school except different classes.

Taught by "officers" who may or may not have their ribbon on the correct side of their uniform. :haw:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Speaking of Chiefs: it made me feel old when I saw that one of my buddies from Power School just made Senior Chief. We were in 9604. :smith:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I don't even remember my GPA or class standing; all I know is I passed.

Also also, welcome to the Navy: where 35-5s turn into spruces, ORSE workups, and shiftwork. Sometimes all at the same time. :toot:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Hell, being stuck at a-school is possibly the best deal in the nuclear field.
You get your pick of the dropout honeys. :quagmire:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

From primary coolant to classified information. Spillage. Spillage never changes.

fake edit:

stop
walk away
implicate others
make up a story
stick with it

:haw:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

You going to get a sea service ribbon for it? :haw:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

As far as goon students: id make sure he wasn't assigned to my crew. I don't want to deal with drama from special treatment accusations :P

:qq: but... but.. I have stairs in my house :qq:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

When I read this article the first time I could not believe that they are using 70's technology as a training device.
Sounds like they're going to convert a pair of Los Angeles-class boats.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

They let roving watches carry guns? The most we had when I was still in was a lovely wooden baton, later replaced with an ASP. Considering we had zero training on either, they would be pretty much useless if we ever had to use them.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sacrilage posted:

Anything missing, for use of semi-automatic weapon?
For reaction force, we had to shoot the M9, AR-15, and shotgun.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

One of the JOs in my prototype class was a reformed coner.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Yeah. I enjoyed taking poo poo apart and getting my hands dirty. What I didn't enjoy was waiting around all loving day (especially after duty), "just in case" the engineer approved that work.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Those TLAs might be TMI, just sayin'.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

belt posted:

edit: I'm dumb.

I get to work on nuclear reactors? Where do I sign?

The real dumb here? My signing bonus was 13 hundred dollars, after taxes. They were giving coners 13 thousand, by the time I was in welding school. :argh:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

belt posted:

Do you work at a nuke plant in Iran?
Alpha level, son. That's need-to-know. Guess what you don't have. :smuggo:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

You ever guard a neuc... on weeeeed?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Take your vols and shove 'em. 35-5 4lyf :whatup:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

That fancy black and red hull paint is expensive.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

But I still can't forget all of this poo poo they stuck in my brain.... :argh:

Don't worry, that'll come with time. That one equation they make everyone learn? With all the goofy symbols and poo poo? Yeah, no idea.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

I bet they make him a mechanic. Make sure he knows that there is a 50% chance he'll end up as a MM.

Look on the bright side, he'll probably do well in the electrical theory class. :v:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ChewedFood posted:

All this talk about snow worries me. I've never seen snow. I drive a newer Accord, should I trade it for a truck?
A FWD car will usually do better in the snow than a RWD truck. Of course any car will drive like poo poo with the wrong tires. I don't think Accords have ultra high performance summer tires, so you should be fine.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Driving on ice is easy. Just do what these guys do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDrjP94bJIY

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Haha, like every evaporator ever

I'm not convinced a 1.6k has ever worked properly......ever
I think we had one guy in M-div who knew how to get it running.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

The focus on procedural compliance in operation and the QA efforts involved in maintenance are surpassed only by space program stuff

Well, the number of nuke subs lost and the number of space shuttles lost are the same.

Of course, the subs were lost before a lot of the QA stuff was put into place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

camino posted:

I put MM on my dream sheet at boot camp and the fuckers made me an RO.
What kind of bizarro world nuclear navy are you in?

• Locked thread