Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LordNad posted:

Yeah when she said she was one of a handful of female ROs in the country, I thought it was some bullshit thing she made up to make herself feel better. Don't know about my uncle's plant (Seabrook station), but my mother says her plant (Pilgrim think? they change hands every so many years) has it's own commandoesque team for defense. Do you guys have the same thing? Trumped up security guards running around with submachine guns and tacticool poo poo?

I used to live near BWXT Pantex and they had their own security force and were more than prepared to handle pretty much any threat.

At my high school, we actually had to do radiation drills. Fun poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Slippery posted:

Wait did you just dis your own mother? That's cold, man.

With the man hours and server time he saved over $50,000 on various projects by not forcing all of us collectively complete the dis for him. That man deserves a NAM or commendation letter at least.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

oddspelling posted:

I'm looking at a few different military scholarships as options for paying for school, and I was wondering if anyone here knows much about the Navy's Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program beyond the blurb the website has on it:

Thanks.

Edit: I'm a mech engineering major, if that makes any difference.

NUPOC is where you'll get paid starting as an E5 for your last couple of years at school. You can get promoted based upon various things. After you graduate, you go to OCS. Upon OCS graduation, you either go to a ship to get SWO qualified and then go to nuke school or if you end up subs, NR, or at NNPS you'll go straight to nuke school and then to work after.

All in all it's a really sweet deal aside from the fact that you'll be a nuke officer and basically hate the next 5-7 years of your life until you resign.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So you have a college degree? Have you tried putting in a package for OCS? Don't listen to anything about "Hey you can enlist and then apply because you'll have a better shot" because it's horseshit.

Also recruiters are going to push nuke hard on ANYONE who remotely qualifies because the Navy is always strapped for nukes. Why are they strapped for them? It's not because it's too academically rigorous. Take a look at KetTarma's post history to get a glimpse into why being a nuke is not glamorous, fun, and in some cases downright sucks. If you're looking to turn 6 years in the Navy into a civilian career paying triple, well, nuke might be the place for you. If you're going in because you're a math aficionado and are looking for a challenge, I don't think you're barking up the right tree.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

But I want to be a sea warrior, not some punk kid that shuffles papers with a gold bar on his collar!

Real post: See above to learn about the joys of my degree.

There are plenty of officers with worse GPAs than you. That's not all they look at. They look at the whole package - IE your character, community service, recommendations, etc.

Second, your chances of getting picked up at school are next to none. Yes, people do get picked up. I'm not saying it is impossible, but if that's your only reason to want to join, that's the wrong drat reason.

If you want to be a cop, apply for the damned police academy. Don't sign away a good 4-6 years of your life to do something you might hate when you already know it isn't what you want to do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well I will give it a shot for sure then. That officer recruiter is getting back to me before MEPS. I just never thought of enlisting in the navy as such a fork up the rear end because I have a couple friends from high school that are in it and both reenlisted and actually enjoy it. I would love to go MA like my buddy but I think I hosed myself by doing so well on the ASVAB.

Understood.

In California police academy is backed up with no jobs on the outside. I guess what I am getting from you guys is that if I am going to enlist it needs to be for something that I REALLY enjoy.

Was there any validity to my statement that nuke school could impress employers? I just feel like I have this bright red stamp on my forehead whenever I interview.

I don't think being a nuke will help your resume more than any other military service unless you're applying for a nuclear job or the person hiring you is a former nuke himself.

With that said, you didn't gently caress yourself with your asvab. Yes, they are going to pressure you to go nuke because that's what they're supposed to do. You are eligible for every single job the Navy has to offer. If enlisting is really what you want to do, demand the job you want. Don't take no guff and don't settle for something you're already skeptical of. Now, the military isn't necessarily taking every person off the street and you may have to wait for the job you actually want, but you can have any job. Demand it! The recruiter is just going to try to shove you into whatever box gets him the biggest brownie points. For you that happens to be nuke. If you want to be a military cop, tell him you want MA and nothing else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm not trying to sound all negative and rain on your parade. I'm just saying go after something you want. You're the one who will have to live the next 4-6 years of your life with your decision. Don't take it lightly and do as much research as possible. Sometimes it's better to walk away than it is to do something you'll regret.

The navy has been great to me. If I can get into law school it'll be even better to me than I could ever have dreamed. Am I a 20 year officer? Probably not. I do enjoy it, for the most part, but I know it isn't something for everyone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I will. Thanks!

They made it sound like MA was not even an option. I suppose it is the classifier that I need to make my stand to?

Should I not even mention my new hard line stance to the recruiter?

You need to be clear with him that it is your goal to be an MA in the Navy and not just join the Navy. If that's all you really want, make sure he knows as such and that you don't want anything else.

Now, I will say that you might not get in right away. There may be long waits that you might not experience otherwise, but at least you'll be doing something that you actually want to do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I guess what I what I am confused on is at this point, is who allows me to pick my job? Is it the recruiter or the guy at meps? The recruiter seems apprehensive about making a statement anything job related.

You will actually make your job selection at MEPS.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm just sitting here smdh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

But because of human nature, you're going to have convinced yourself you made the right decision. You'll tell yourself that your recruiter, a man whose sole job is to get you to boot camp, preferably as a nuke to pad his own numbers, has your best interests in mind over a bunch of people on the internet. What do we know, after all? We're not the guy in the uniform with the giant rack on his chest and those silvery dolphins staring down at you. We're obviously not right and things will be different for you.

I need some coffee.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't think anyone ever said they'd only choose nuke. And yes, life can suck quite a bit. Just re-read this thread to see what you've done to yourself.

I hope it works out for you in all sincerity, but I just wish you had done a little more research into actually finding something you wanted instead of letting yourself get talking into something they wanted you to do. Well, we do need bilge cleaners.

What rate did you pick?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LoveThyNeighbor posted:

Yes, Direct appointment through ODS as a Nuke school instructor officer

So what makes you want to be a DILDO?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

moker posted:

Why wouldn't you? Never on duty, never at sea, never have any actual responsibility, officer pay. I'd do it in a heartbeat

Counterpoint - surrounded by nukes and baby nukes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KetTarma posted:

uhg. been on 14 hour lockshift for a few weeks now. for the uninitiated, that's where you work x number of hours on, y number of hours off every day with no weekend or off days.

so tired

I feel so bad for you. The system we have in place for nukes just simply cannot last.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KetTarma posted:

The prototype I teach at is being repaired. They towed it from charleston, sc to portsmouth, va and shipped the instructors up with it to stand watch, clean, do maintenance, and do support jobs like pulling up tiling, grinding off rust, and painting. Most of us are E6s. This is my shore duty. I'm billeted as a nuclear instructor/supervisor. Most of my time is spent scrubbing dirt off of the walls. At least I'm senior enough to get out of most bad deals here!

Try explaining that to your fiancee that you'll barely see her for the next year since you're "deployed" to VA away from "homeport"..

Are you at least getting FSA? If not, I think each and every one of you has room to file a grievance and make an IG complaint.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KetTarma posted:

Anyone that's married gets FSA. All of us get per diem.

Well, at least they're loving you with a little lube. It might just be some spit on the tip, but at least it is something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cerekk posted:

can't be stationed in Japan on a submarine though

No but you can get Guam!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KetTarma posted:

Nothing better than starting ORSE preps.. especially with "we'll probably go back into shiftwork soon to support"

At least it will all be over soon, right? :gbsmith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The human resources officer I tapped for STA-21 boards turned out to be prior enlisted. He got out, went to school with the GI bill, got accepted for NUPOC for one of the teacher jobs, and then lat transferred to HR.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm a brilliant moron who should have gone into Navy nuclear poo poo in college but I got a scholarship and let people talk me out of it even though it sounded great. Then I went to law school because I'm, again, a loving moron.

I decided to stop spinning my wheels, but my question is should i enlist or officer?

I don't have a ton of leadership experience, and my college degree ended up being in linguistics.

Should I just call a recruiter?

Do you have your JD? Have you passed a bar exam? If so, join the JAG corps. If not, don't enlist.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ron Jeremy posted:

What are typical shore assignments for sub officers? Do they typically stay within the submarine or larger nuclear community?

There's a lot. DESRONs and CSGs almost always have sub guys on staff. They can do ROTCs and other schools. My XO at school was a sub guy. It just really depends on what they want to do.

Once you get to a certain point, an URL (Unrestricted Line) officer is a URL officer. There's a lot of overlap once you start getting senior on the types of jobs that you do. There definitely are some specialized jobs, but there's a lot that it's just a body.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

belt posted:

edit: I'm dumb.

Don't worry. We all are.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KetTarma posted:

Its not so much that as understanding the philosophy behind what you want to do in each casualty. I lost lube oil flow. Why? What will make things safe for the next few minutes? What about long term? It ultimately goes back to getting good systems checkouts. You can always tell during casualty checkouts who understands the system and who got it signed off because their partner carried them.

Flash memorizing is very common and will get you by but, as you can guess, screws you in the end. Go to the plant or matf and walk it out. Itll help.

This really doesn't just apply to the nuke world, but any casualty to equipment you'll ever deal with in the Navy. It's all about following two paths: what could have caused this and what will my actions cause. You have to understand that there's likely causes for every engineering casualty, and there will be definite consequences of every action you take. Most of it is pretty logical to step through. Go down and look at all the actual gear and just trace things out and piece together what you'll lose each time you have to secure something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Smart man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You guys must keep all the flags over on sub side. The only flag we ever see on surface side is MIDPAC, and he's not even a weekly sighting. If you're not his flagship or prepping for an inspection, you might not see a flag for an entire month or two.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

monkeyboy posted:

SUBPAC was right across the street from the sub piers, but the Makalapa facility (CINCPACFLEET and the other big guys) was closer to the sub side. Seems like every 5 minutes we'd be ringing the bell and saluting some admiral's barge/gig going by.

None of the people from PACFLT ever really cross the highway to come over to the base that I see.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

grover posted:

Right here, this is your problem. What you REALLY needed was a car. You'd have a miserably loving experience on nearly any base in the world if you spent the entire tour/port visit/whatever within a short walking distance of your boat, letalone as far out as Polaris Point. Buy a car, seriously. Or if it's just a short visit, split a rental car with your buddies or something.

The good strip clubs in the tourist district import hot girls from CONUS and asia because that's what the japanese businessmen come to Guam for- they want to play golf, shoot guns, and watch hot western girls strip completely nude, because they can't shoot guns or see western girls strip or any girls strip nude in Japan, and they fly to Guam for the weekend and do this all for about what it costs for a single round of golf in Tokyo. Meanwhile, their wives and daughters spend them poor in all the high-end shopping. You can- and should- be enjoying this all instead of taking a bus to the NEX, jesus christ.

Yeah, typically people don't have the ability to rent a car in Guam. Your shuttles are your only choice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ChewedFood posted:

Well that's not bad at all. I wonder if they calculated wasted time.

You're a salaried and contracted employee of the military. Your time is pretty much worthless and this never wasted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I haven't built a computer for myself since about 2004. Been just using MacBooks since. :feelsgood:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

STAR is the biggest loving scam out there. It's trading a few months of E-5 pay (because almost anyone with half a brain can pick up E-5 via the exam) for extra YEARS of service. It's really brilliant, honestly. The nuke community has loving it's Sailors down to an art that SWOs could only wish to achieve.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Choose your rate choose your fate, shipmate. Should have been an ET.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

genderstomper58 posted:

i was an mm and it didnt make it any less stupid. also you dont choose your rate as a nuke ;)

I know! That's what makes it even better!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He's going to use you up and then sell you for a pack of smokes and half a tin of skoal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

scripterror posted:

So it wasn't county, it was the brig. LTJG blew past the security checkpoint on his way to DTP, guess he thought he didn't have to stop. He was wrong.

Not near as good a story, but still a great one nevertheless. I always love hearing about gate guards tackling an O-6 or something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cousarr posted:

Sub JOs work really long hours and get poo poo on all the time. Make sure it's what you really want to do and you're okay with this.

By long hours, he doesn't mean civilian long hours like 50-60 hours a week. He means military long hours, which is upwards of 100-120 hours a week. That is a massive chunk of your life. You must be prepared to do nothing but work and sleep until you're qualified, at best, and then things might chill out to only 90 hours a week.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is Charleston nptu really going to put me on fep for a sat pfa?

Sat?! C'mon, son. This poo poo ain't hard. And, probably. Most training commands I've ever dealt with require good low as a minimum.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Harmburger posted:

Is it actually possible to be put on FEP for passing? I thought that was reserved exclusively for failures?

edit: For the sake of argument, I'm lazy(but not fat), so I don't run super fast. I plan to run 3 miles a year in the future.

Training commands frequently have it in their local FEP/PRT instruction that anything below a good-low will result in placement on FEP. It's a common thing at training commands. It's not as common in the fleet, but still can happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Veins McGee posted:

I met my first nuke in person today. He talked in excruciating detail about everything but what I wanted to know. He also mentioned that he was in the Navy about 5 times. He didn't appear to be a brony or an anime lover so I feel let down that I didn't get the whole nuke experience.

Bronies and animes tend to be linguists. Nukes are just spergs of all varieties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's loving sad. We need more nuclear plants, not less.

• Locked thread