Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I was thinking about joining the navy nuke program, but then I saw the postings about debt. The whole reason I was thinking about joining the military was primarily financial, but I have an unpaid bill from a semester of college on my credit report. Last I checked it was ~$15,000. Should I expect to not get security clearance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I'm wanting to join the nuke program, filling out the paperwork with my recuiter. He wants to enter me into the DEP program next Tuesday as some sort of non-nuke rate, I think one of the ET classifications. I've been clear with him that I want to ship out to boot with an Nuclear Field rating, and he said that I will. I understand that DEP is reversible and you haven't signed away your life(yet), and what really matters is on the enlistment contract you sign shortly before you go to boot.

What I'm asking here is: Do I have my facts straight? Is it common to enter into DEP with one rate and be reclassed? This isn't going to ensure I can't be a nuke, correct?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

Just get re-rated before your ship date. You have pretty much no chance of re-rating (to Nuke) at Boot Camp.

Also, during boot camp, conventional ET really meant FC. For 19 out of 20 people in my division.

Edit: I have less than 30 days left til A School Comp. I'm willing to say it absolutely sucked and I'm glad we will be parting ways.

Yeah, I was going to ensure I got re-rated before shipping, but I entered the DEP(DEN) last week with a nuke rating. Signed on Sep 29th, shipping on May 15th. :smith:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Check your contract for the specific wording of this page, NAVCRUIT 1133/102. I linked you instead of typing the relevant wording from mine because I'm not really sure what differs and if it endangers my privacy if I do. I figure if it's hosted on their servers it's kosher. But tl;dr: Yes, you did(most likely). Sorry about your luck!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I've recently arrived at NNPTC, and because I haven't started classes yet, I have a ton of free time. Charleston is awesome, in case you were concerned about coming to SC.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

I heard a guy complaining at the smoke pad about being forced to go. (a day before the event so it was a long time ago (I hear the tickets were hundreds of dollars!))

Also, commence stand down and I am here at Goose Creek with like six other people total that aren't on leave and one of them was wearing a red corduroy suit with matching fedora. :(

300-400 people on grad hold are moving to prototype in January but those that are going to SC prototype won't class up until at least July wtf?

~a dozen people got masted last week

I was excited about going to the Carrier Classic but it turned out to be really lovely(because the men's game got canceled). I'm in Goose Creek also not on leave, but I don't smoke so you won't see me! The dude with the suits is well known amongst both staff and students for consistently looking like a 3rd rate pimp.

One incident that led up to two masts was all over the school for two weeks before they went to mast for it. It's crazy how mast-thirsty students here are.(my class is, I assume they all are)

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

grumplestiltzkin posted:

half my a school class got masted, and during p school 2 out of the 3 black guys in our class got masted for smoking weed.

Turns out passing the ASVAB is not mutually exclusive with being a complete shitbag.

ChewedFood posted:

Is this your first stand down staying here? It's so creepy outside but you can ride any bike you want to!

It is my first stand down here. I could, but riding bikes while drunk doesn't work out so well. If I'm not drunk, I'd rather just drive my Comanche. I'm just pretending whenever I go outside that everyone has a big test tomorrow and that's why no one can be seen.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I'll get out and do some poo poo this week. I used to visit the Dive pretty often(read: every night) but once I realized I was averaging 7.50 a day per month, I cut back. The Southern Belle is still there, but now it has a $20 cover but is still BYOB. There's a former nuke stripping there too.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

A 12-volume anthology.

Do they still post the masts in the PotW? We used to call them the sports pages. I think NNPTC was the only command in the Navy with weekly scheduled masts.

Yep. Just before stand down there was 10 or 12.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Trip Report: Cook-Out

I'm going to fail my next weigh-in and it's all your fault.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Tried Perfectly Franks yesterday, some of the most liquid-y chili I've ever seen, it had all pretty much ran off the dog by the time I got it. The barbecue sandwich on a dog was pretty good though. Overall I'd give it 7/10 because of the bad chili.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

KetTarma posted:

what is a charlie track

Did they expand t-track to the rest of the alphabet since there are so many babbys running around?

Power school classes now have a "program" which decides general policies. It goes from Alpha to Delta track, with policies being modified for each one. Alpha is generally the "hardest" track as the requirements for voluntary hours are higher, and mandatory PT is more often. Delta is the "easiest" as everything is lowest. It is supposedly part of a 10 year program to see which policies end up with better people in the fleet. Rumor has it that Alpha and delta are supposed to be going away, but nobody really knows. I've heard you have to have a 3.6+ to have 0-0s on Alpha, and they do PT 5 days a week. I cannot confirm/deny this other than unsubstantiated rumors.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Now they have "phases" for a-school which are as follows: 1(red) no leaving base during the week, no civvies, no alcohol, and no driving. 2(yellow) civvies on weekends off base, leaving base during the week in uniform, driving + alcohol, but weekend curfew of 0015. 3(green) uniform to work and during study hours, no real restriction otherwise. "Phase-up" is at week 4 and 8, and one can be phase stripped for being a shitbag. Past a-school you're generally always phase 3 but don't have the sticker showing it. You can be downgraded to phase 1 for being a shitbag though.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

genderstomper58 posted:

haha we got put back on uniforms @all times new person phase because this dumb bitch DILDO o-2 got upset with us being rude to her

had to march to the school house for a week too, was worth it because she was a crazy bitch imo

oh yeah that's the other part of "phase 1" is you have to march to the building every morning. some rear end in a top hat slpos make you march to/from the galley at lunch, and out of the building in the afternoon.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

KetTarma posted:

The way it was explained to me was your overall score had to be 90 or above to qualify. If you were <90 down to minimum of x, you could take the Nuclear Field Qualification Test to override your ASVAB. X in this case is equal to how badly theyre hurting for recruits.

You add some of the line scores together, and if combined they're over X(I think when I joined it was like 252) you're in, if not you can take the NFQT. It typically works out to needing over a 90 to get in, but my old roommate had a 73 overall and didn't need to take the NFQT.(He was ESL so he bombed word knowledge, etc)

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

One of my classmates got/is getting medically retired because his heart exploded. Whenever I think about him, I always think about how jealous I am of him.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

You alpha track Scripterror? If so you poor bastard.

I don't know if he is, but I am and it blows. It really puts a damper on my midweek drinking.(not that I don't do it, I'm just sore when I wake up at 530 for PT)

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

scripterror posted:

Still in A-School until June. Is there anything you can control about what track you end up on in power school or are you just stuck with what they give you?

I have a feeling I know the answer already but asking anyway.

You're stuck with what you're given. If you class up in July, you should be charlie track. If you miss the first one, delta track. Delta is essentially "here's a bunch of rope try not to hang yourself".

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

Whoa did he actually jump off?

Not as far as I can tell. We were told in the afternoon that he had killed himself that morning and I didn't see any crime scene tape or anything around site.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Cousarr posted:

There was still a stain on the sidewalk from the guy for whom the Skipjack dive team is named when I was there.

They've been doing a ton of power washing lately, so I doubt it's there anymore. I could look if you let me know where it was.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

My gradhold job is BEQ, it is the best.

Work every other day until lunch? Sounds loving great to me!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Nuc babies come up with awesome tattoo ideas:

Sadly this work of art got denied.

Ask forgiveness, not permission.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

No advice for that situation specifically, but AFAIK the only way the navy fixes ingrown toenails is to rip the whole thing out. So, uh, good luck with that.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sat?! C'mon, son. This poo poo ain't hard. And, probably. Most training commands I've ever dealt with require good low as a minimum.

Is it actually possible to be put on FEP for passing? I thought that was reserved exclusively for failures?

edit: For the sake of argument, I'm lazy(but not fat), so I don't run super fast. I plan to run 3 miles a year in the future.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Blackbird Fly posted:

No, sorry. I don't like massive debt.

Whatever your field is, you can take whatever the loans would cost you(plus interest) and plus the salary from the Navy and still come out ahead by getting a job in your field. Not to mention you won't be incredibly miserable for several years to start with. However if you're super-duper-let-me-join-the-military, there is a cake job that will fulfill "pay my debts" as well as "pay me while I'm in college" and ends up in a "I'm in the navy but been to sea" job: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=3730.0

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I followed the advice about going to the boat and it has already payed off.

TBQH I have read the thread but all I've really picked up on is being a nuke is lovely through and through. What is this advice that pays off?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

scripterror posted:

NY Prototype student robbed a CVS at gunpoint this weekend. For Ritalin.

Welp, first time in my career that I know someone who made it to the news.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20131002/PC16/131009902

Navy Nukes in the news again(this time super sad and not robbing a store for ritalin)

e: That article doesn't mention it, but Ashley worked at The Dive as a bartender.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 3, 2013

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

Was she the blonde one? I haven't been there for a year but I remember there was a blonde one and a dark-haired one and one of them was named Ashley.

Blonde was Alex, she went to NY with her (nuke) husband. Ashley was red-headed for as long as I knew her, which I suppose could appear dark in the bar.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

KetTarma posted:

just realize you have the best deal by far in the nuclear navy and be happy every day. seriously, never complain about your job because it's pretty awesome getting paid officer pay/bennies to basically read powerpoints to kids and grade a homework or two.

also hymens loving sucks and is for tourists. i live in charleston and dont mind showing you way better places.

I'm basically a retard and have never taken you up on this opportunity before, but now that I've transferred, it seems my days of working days during the week are almost over, so I'd like to try to enjoy some poo poo before I become a sleep/work cycle. Any chance you could show me some good poo poo around here?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Zarc posted:

So what's this about a NPS cheating scandal I saw a few posts back? I'd appreciate a link if somebody has it (or I missed it when I looked).

(NPS in Orlando, prototype at A1W...last class there)

http://endtimeheadlines.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/cheating-scandal-spreads-to-the-navys-nuclear-fleet-in-charleston-sc/

It was limited to staff members in watch supervisor quals. AFAIK limited to only one of the prototypes, with the majority on one crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Tom Toddlesworth posted:

Thanks for this info. I'm not in the navy, but I'm going to go to power school starting in January to work for a defense contractor, and I have no clue where to live.

e: How does it usually go with civilians in power school? Should I expect to be the only civilian in class?

Civilians go to school with the officers. I've typically seen a 3-5 in a class if there are any at all. It seems they put civilians in class together rather than one per class, but ymmv. I'd definitely live away from Goose Creek, either DT or in West Ashley. Goose Creek sucks and will taint your perception of South Carolina. Downtown is awesome though, and be sure to get out and try the food.

• Locked thread