Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
A prog thread? I thought I was the only one who realized this board was missing one!

This is pretty much my favorite genre of music. If you guys really want to delve deep into the genre head to Progarchives.com. Its basically a massive archive of every single prog album ever made with reviews as well as mp3s to listen to and sample. Its become one of the main sources for new music.

Gimmedaroot posted:

My biggest problem with prog rock is the new stuff. I just can't get into bands like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, etc. I just agree with Bill Bruford: the pioneers come along and invent the stuff by not really having any boundaries. Then when the genre is named, you have all these boundaries and everything just sounds like an overproduced rehash of whats come before that is not as interesting. Radiohead and The Flaming Lips I would give a pass to because they have other influences (if you are to call them prog). And most modern prog metal and symphonic stuff just sounds silly, not to mention the "Legend of the Seeker" outfits they tend to wear on stage. If you don't know what I mean, pick up a copy of Classic Rock magazine's Prog issues. Its really ridiculous.

Overproduction and ridiculousness is what makes prog so great. That just means they're trying harder to make awesome music. And if anything, modern prog is cool because its taking the older influences and adding modern touches to them. Its not the 1970s anymore and I can't listen to old school Genesis and Yes all the time. And a prog thread without mention of Transatlantic? For shame guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Gimmedaroot posted:

If those bands were trying harder, like you said, they would be doing something different and actually pushing further...not doing the same thing on newer and worse sounding equipment.

Yeah, I did miss what you were saying. I definitely agree. There's too much emphasis on musical wankery and proving some virtuosity (like Dream Theater's well played but sometimes soulless brand of prog metal and the people they've influenced). Where has the actual progress gone in the alleged progressive genre?

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

I love those guys. Poland has been putting out some good prog and prog metal bands lately with them, Votum and Division By Zero.

Disperse: Journey Through the Hidden Gardens is my current favorite prog album. Also from Poland.

Check it out!

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Division by Zero kicks rear end by the way.

Anyone looking for good prog needs to check out all things by the label Inside Out Music. They're the studio behind Ayreon and alot of other bands. I haven't heard an act from the label that wasn't awesome.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

:siren:This is not a drill:siren:

Phideaux has an EP out with material from Infernal dropping May 23rd. Infernal due out late-July to early-August.
Phideaux gives me joy and I'm glad Infernal is officially not vapor-ware. Tho I'll wait until the EP and actual album is in my hands before I uncross any appendages. These are legit some of my favorite albums ever and have basically been on repeat for a decade.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Oh my.... :gizz:

However, I was a little underwhelmed by the last one. I'll chime in with thoughts later since no one else has.

Edit:

Ah that's just their old EP. Its a quality release tho and you all should listen to it if you haven't, as well as the rest of their stuff.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 22, 2018

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

yeah it's not new but it's still very good. "Bright Sides" is such a great track. I like the band's folksy side.

I thought their last album was pretty ace. not quite as good as the 2012 s/t but I personally think that's one of the greatest albums ever made so not really a fair comparison.

That's mostly what it was for me. s/t was basically Echolyn in its perfect form, but 'I Heard You Listening' is pretty excellent.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

It really is a shame. I'm not a fan of Wilson's solo efforts at all. Good for him for gaining appeal and being successful with it tho.

Phideaux's Infernal drops on September 9th. Now "that" has been in the oven a long rear end time.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Phideaux's Infernal just leaked and I'm kinda conflicted. It's good (ish...), but doesn't reach the heights of his earlier work like basically every album starting from Fiendish. That was just a murderer's row of good rear end albums and it can't be easy to have to follow those up after basically a decade of hype. This feels bloated and.....boring? Like the songwriting is serving the story and concepts instead of the concepts serving the songwriting. Not many memorable tracks and it all kinda blended together. Unlike the other albums, there are no tracks here where I'm like "I can't wait to put this on constant rotation because drat, Son." which is a first. All the callbacks to previous albums just reminded me of how much better those were. The preview songs from the EP were good choices as those are probably the most memorable and closest in quality to the older material.

The first guy to review it, a Youtuber who reviews prog releases, basically danced around the fact that it was a weaker effort by calling it a "Grower". He was also close friends with Phideaux and probably didn't want to ruffle feathers with a bad review. I'll stick with it as I'm really just loving stoked to finally have this thing after so long and maybe I'll grow to like it but Fiendish through Snowtorch definitely didn't require extra mental cooking like that. It'll be interesting to see what other reviewers in the scene think, especially the user reviews on ProgArchives, which I think are surprisingly pretty solid, honest, and align closely to my own opinions (usually). Maybe it's the apocalyptic subject-matter. Less melody and more dissonance and chaos which is a different sound from what made me a fan originally, unfortunately.

6.9/10 for me. I'm a bit disappointed, but happy he's making music again. Man, I really just wanted another Number 7 tho.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 3, 2018

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Skjorte posted:

He was also on the latest Ayreon album, though that one was back to being all about space and stuff instead of basically being a musical like The Human Equation. But Paladinus probably meant the Roswell Six album, which was kinda like The Human Equation except nowhere near as fun, and apparently the whole thing was written by a reputable(?) science fiction author.

The Source was definitely a musical. It shows the origin of the electric castle, the water people kept alive by machines, and the rear end in a top hat computer from Electric Castle. It was a sequel/prequel to 01011001, which I think is Arjen's best work, and ties the whole series in a nice little bow. Very important Ayreon lore there. :kiddo:

Space Madness Ayreon is the Best Ayreon.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

So I've lost count of how many times I've listened to Phideaux's Infernal at this point, but I cannot seem to put it down. As BrufordFreak complains on ProgArchives, it's a bit too theatrical, a little too stagey, a little too Broadway for his tastes.

That is exactly my jam, and I could not have put it better.

Pretty much. I slagged it off earlier in the thread and called it a grower. Shiiid, it's 'grown' into one my favorite album from him very quickly. I feel like as good as Phideaux is, there are sections of his albums that are definitely filler and skippable. Those lows are mitigated by those massive highs though. I feel like Infernal is 90 minutes of unskippable stuff. Finally, no boring sections at all. From Hydrogen to Love is probably his best song, which is saying a lot with poo poo like the 'Micro' duo, Formaldehyde, Beyond the Shadow of Doubt, and Chupacabra walking around.

The theatrics and "stageness" is totally my jam too! It stimulates my particular brand of imagination-ing. Solid 10/10. This poo poo is ill, son. I 'still' want that Number 7 follow up though.

Electric Castle already sounds fine. Borderline timeless even (in our small genre community). A remaster could be really cool or really......Extra.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 25, 2018