Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Off to see Hackett do Genesis Revisited tonight in for no apparent reason, Belleville ON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
A Yes slapfight is so :shobon:. Saw them live last year first time ever and Steve Howe is still amazing.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Nobody Interesting posted:

He might well be, but what good is Yes without Jon :colbert:

New guy sounded fine to me. vOv

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Nobody Interesting posted:

You really must have been stoned if you believe you saw Robert Fripp expressing some kind of emotion.

Next he'll claim Robert stood up.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Misogynist posted:

How could you even tell with his rig directly between him and the audience?

The band would have fainted.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
From the discussion, I'd suggest people check out Bruford Levin Upper Extremities, which was Bill and Tony plus David Torn and Chris Botti (or now smooth jazz fame).

Also Theo Travis posted from 'Cruise to the Edge' that wireless on the boat is $300 for 24h... lol.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Iucounu posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize Steven Wilson was remixing The Yes Album!

I'm irked they're remixing it but not doing a vinyl edition.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Paladinus posted:

Thought I'd pop in with some balalaika goodness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qcgpe1UMmE
It's actually Liquid Tension Experiment, though.

I'm sending this one to TL.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BigFactory posted:

King Crimson's a live band for sure. Always have been in my opinion. The Nightwatch is as good or better than any of their 70's studio albums.

http://threeofaperfectpair.com/

Come to camp with P@, TL and Ade!

It's great fun.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BigFactory posted:

Put on Thick as a Brick and go take a dump.

EDIT: I should say, if you [i]have[i] to go take a dump. Don't force one just cause the song came on.

You could strain your vocal cords.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Tickets to both Albany NY shows and to Madison WI. Oh yissssss.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Seventh Arrow posted:

So is that list of dates complete, or do you suppose they'll be doing more gigs. I hope they come to Canada, we'll even pretend to still be one of the colonies if it helps! :canada:

Because of Rush it's almost like prog is our official music, anyways.

Friend of mine knows P@ and says the odds of any more gigs not yet announced are about zero.

No Canada, no Europe. Not even Austin, P@'s home town. I sure hope he's wrong.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 10, 2014

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
:smug:

Oh yeah.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nick Beggs mentioned on FB he has submitted ideas for a new SW record.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Greetings from Three of a Perfect Pair Camp 2014!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Rollersnake posted:

Tell Alec I said hi!

I wish I had some semblance of musical talent so I could go to one of these things.

Alec the touch guitar player? He was my room-mate!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Yeah but I get hugs from Marcus. :)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Pick your day up with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzrq425iGVg

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Where'd this gewgaw come from?

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/6064/

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Driving to Albany on Monday to see King Crimson. Invited to the Monday rehearsal and tickets to the Tuesday show. :) So stoked.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
At the KC dress rehearsal show, Robert *came out to say hi* after the show. People got to talk to him and shake his hand.

Then some idiots asked him to sign an album and he vanished.

Ended up going back with Pat to the lobby bar in the Hilton, I talked to Bill R. and Mel Collins, then Tony showed up, and Gavin wandered by. Gavin, Bill and Mel went off to a side area and people left them alone. I bought Jakko a drink, and he went off to join the side area crew. Pat and Tony stuck around chatting, Tony finally left for bed around midnight.

Spoke briefly to Mel about playing Red in camp; Bill was rather deprecatory about his role between Pat and Gavin but he played excellently.

Songlist (spoilers)

Mix of songs played; some post 1980 stuff, but no Belew lyrics were sung. Decode that as you will. Two highpoints were Starless and 21st Century Schizoid Man. Mel's sax work was great - soprano down to baritone. At one point, TWO flutes were being played on stage at the same time (Mel and Jakko).

Also played: One More Red Nightmare, Red, Larks (the good one, which is it?), I think they did Level 5 and Construkction of Light, um.... and they did an encore, and you could *see* Fripp playing. Not hiding behind stacks of amps.

No photos of the show, obviously.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Noise Machine posted:

Could we get spoiler tags on any more set list updates? Pat mentioned they still had a ton of stuff they DIDN'T play so I'm excited to see what they will rotate in and out of the set.

Edit: Biff (one of the techs for Robert) confirmed the setlist will be rotated from night to night. Sweet deal!

At dress rehearsal Tony said they had a couple songs they didn't play. I'm guessing the setlist is also up to Robert.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Earwicker posted:

everybody ITT except me is now on a first name basis with the members of King Crimson :smith:

wish I could afford you fancy prog rock nerd camp

I bought Mel Collins (port) and Jakko (red wine) drinks. I never knew Mel played with Camel and Caravan. Bill wasn't too chatty and Gavin didn't mingle at all.
Robert was a no show

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Noise Machine posted:

A short teaser, I'll post more tomorrow when I'm not exhausted, but...

MEL loving COLLINS.

His playing over "VROOOM" was just...holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo WHY DIDN'T THIS HAPPEN SOONER

We got "Starless" too

Mel actually told me (in Albany) Robert implied/said he could have 'come back' sooner but it somehow didn't happen.

If you cand find out what hotel they're at you can probably meet most of the band after a show. It was the Hilton in Albany.

Mel likes port.

Jakko and Mel in 2007 doing 'Starless': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0dAuT7LDQI

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 16, 2014

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Lol. Someone shot and posted a YouTube of the encore from one of the KC Boston shows. P@ noticed it and said 'hey look at this quick before management gets it removed'. I did. Gone now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
At the Madison, WI KC2014 show last night, was talking to Patricia Fripp (who was working merch with Adrian, who does all prog merch tables, I think) and Robert came out after the show, hurriedly said his 'see you in SF' and kissed her farewell. I just stood there and didn't interrupt or try to talk to him. A minorly public private moment.

The show was amazing, but don't sit front row. I was 5 feet from Gavin's bass and his kit almost totally blocked Fripp. Bill's kit blocked most of Tony and some of Mel.

No aftershow party for plebs like Albany, the band had a few pass-holder guests allowed in for 15 minutes then they bundled into a white van and headed off from the venue.

Photos (before/after) will follow. Got to talk to Tony a couple seconds before the show when he came out to phototgraph the venue.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Allen Wren posted:

I hate you all.

At least one camp alum spent last night watching Allan Holdsworth play in Chicago sitting with a few members of Crim at Reggie's. Fried pickles were shared.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, I feel bad for missing then this tour. I think it's the first time I missed a crimson show since construction of light tour. But I'm too old for mid-week concerts apparently.

These did NOT feel like a farewell tour. No inside info, just no way did it feel this was a final trip for this band.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Prog Doctor posted:

Saw Crimson at the Vic in Chicago last night. It started off amazing. They played LTIA1/Talking Drum/LTIA2. I had chills the entire time! But that was the highlight for me. The way the sound system was set up, the right side of the stage (where I was) had their view of Gavin and Fripp blocked the entire time, because of stacks of speakers. And the venue security had such a stick up their rear end about no photography, that they'd follow you around and hover if you got up to move so you could see - as I did. I couldn't even take my phone out to keep note of the set list because I got bitched at.

Yeah because of dipshits who try to take pictures. Live without the device for 2 hours, man.

quote:

Bill Rieflin was a waste of space. He added absolutely nothing the the songs, and just got in the way of the overall groove of everything. And he was turned down so low in the overall mix that he was drown out by everyone else. And he simplified the Sailors Tale drum part, which was annoying. Maybe he was just having a really bad night, but he doesn't seem to have the talent to merit being in the band. His single stroke drum rolls were fantastic, though.

Well from Bill's bare-bones kit, he's clearly not there to be on the same basis as P@ or Gavin; he's some light drum bits and some keyboards. He seems nice enough but he doesn't really fit in.

quote:

Tony's sound got better as the show went on, but he started off way too low in the mix, but eventually got turned up, whereas Bill never did.

Jakko changed the vocal melody to One More Red Nightmare (and I don't think he has the right voice for that song anyway), and some of the lyrics of Schizoid Man, which I didn't care for.

Short of inviting Wetton on tour, your other option is Ade. I like Ade. But Jakko's voice is better for the songs in the setlist.

quote:

Mel Collins was fantastic! Although, he did have an awkwardly placed sax solo in the middle of Construkction of Light, which was played as an instrumental.

Yes, not one Belew lyric all night. Removed where present. Not sure why (there's a rumour).

quote:

Red was a bit sloppy. Pat and Bill lost count of the fills a couple times. And Starless was amazing, except for the fast outro bit in 13. They slowed it down, and Gavin played it straight, which completely took away from the urgency from the original version. Bill played a close approximation of Bruford's original part in the outro, but, again, he was drown out, so he couldn't be heard anyway.

The drummers were amazingly tight on the ending of Pictures of a City, and all throughout Schizoid Man. But the show was so inconsistent. And the set didn't flow, either. Scarcity of Miracles and Light of Day were so boring, and thrown in immediately after really exciting songs, which was very jarring. It was 50% of a good show. I'm hoping it was just a bad night, though, and that no one else has to be subjected to something similar.

I saw three shows; there were a few songs where I experienced the Beast, across the three nights. It wasn't every song, and it wasn't the same song each night. So yeah, you get some good playing, then you get the Beast, and you gape.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BigFactory posted:

What's the rumor about Ade?

That when told he was not going to be invited on the tour, he said he didn't want them singing his songs. I find this unlikely; the tour CD has songs with Ade singing on it, for example. But I did bet myself we wouldn't hear any Belew lyrics sung prior to the first show, and I won that bet, for whatever reason.

Obviously nobody was going to ask Ade at camp.

Aside: Pat told a short story, about how when they were practising (not sure where or what year), Bruford (who had left KC) dropped by and chatted with Pat; Pat went upstairs to tell Robert that Bruford was downstairs and Robert was practicing and declined to come say hello, leaving Pat the uncomfortable task of explaining it to Bill, but as soon as he started to explain, Bill stopped him and said he understood it was just Robert being Robert.

So either Robert wanted to focus on the early stuff (with two exceptions), or Robert decided he would respect Adrian's work, or Adrian's request, I don't know. Some day I'll ask Adrian, but not yet. I will come back to say what he says though.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BigFactory posted:

Adrian seems like the nicest, most laid back guy and Fripp's a weirdo with crazy hang ups, so I imagine is isn't a gag order coming from team belew. But who knows.

Well Ade did get dropped from both NiN and KC in 2014 so he would have some right to be unhappy since he'd basically cleared his work calendar for something like a 16 months period to tour with Trent, and then not to be asked back to the KC tour... hence the Crimson Project extended tour and now the ABPT tour. Man's gotta pay bills.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Based on an interview with Tony Levin, I grabbed a copy of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's debut album 'Grand Opening and Grand Closing' and it is amazing.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BigFactory posted:

They're really good and there's definitely a good chance to meet the band before or after the show.

Also a Stick Men tour is in the next couple months in the U.S.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BigFactory posted:

Are they any good? I went to a Tony Levin Band show once, and it was fine (actually really good cause Kaki King was the opener and I had never heard her before), but Tony's songwriting runs the gamut of super cheesy to holy poo poo this is super cheesy.

At this point I'm going to see three almost-friends play. After the last Niagara Falls show we ended up drinking with them in the bar for a few hours. Tony had a veggieburger.

Pics exist.

I tipped the guitarist they had playing to perform 'In Your Eyes' and she had no idea it was TL sitting 5 feet away.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Chocobo posted:

Sounds interesting, looking forward to it.

I thought the opening music was the middle bit from Cinema Show. Hah.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Noise Machine posted:

Tony Levin quietly mentioned Crimson would be back in 2015, but nothing confirmed yet.

"There will be more King Crimson coming, sometime in 2015 - and you can be sure we'll all post about that as soon as things are confirmed."

From the Seattle tour page on tony's website.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153322400567519&id=14038332518

"King Crimson - Robert Fripp and Jakko Jakszyk are working on new King Crimson material this week..."

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Attitude Indicator posted:

*whimsical flute solo*

"offkey shouting hoarsely"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

ironberry posted:

New King Crimson short live album on January 13th, including Starless. Announcement video by Robert and Jakko at the link:

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4951

Seeing them play it in person three times was better :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Possibly Chicken posted:

I'm really more suprised at Robert Fripp taking a selfie video.

The *band* was amazed Robert popped out to meet audience members after the first Albany show. I talked with his sister quite a bit at the Madison show and he popped out to say bye to her. I didn't try to talk to him.