Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Hey guys,

You may remember me posting some rough tracks from my prog rock project a few months back. I got some excellent constructive criticism, and we kept that in mind while finishing them up. The tracks were definitely improved as a result. I have some exciting news! We were featured in this month's issue of Prog Magazine! Here's our page:

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. The entire EP can be streamed here:

http://metamusique.bandcamp.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

If you get one thing from 80s Crim, get Absent Lovers. It's insanely good.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

Jesus, a 15 CD box set of one single LP? These box sets are getting ridiculously excessive.

What, you don't want to hear every take of every session ever laid to tape?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

As a huge Yes fan, I like to pretend they broke up after the 2004 tour.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

david puddy posted:

edit: oh my god Steven Wilson's new album has leaked :derp:

edit 2: oh my GOD it is like a hundred times better than Grace For Drowning, possibly AS good as Insurgentes, The Holy Drinker is loving incredible

Holy poo poo this album is amazing. The title track is staggeringly, crushingly beautiful.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I agree that the album feels short, but it's probably just the fact that we're all familiar with Luminol already. It's a 55 minute album, but it feels much shorter than that. There is not an ounce of filler on it, and I feel like some tracks (particularly The Pin Drop) could have gone on for a bit longer.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

This might be the creepiest unboxing video I've ever seen. It's from some weird looking dude that does prog reviews, this time it's an unboxing of Pink Floyd's The Wall Immersion Box set. Honestly he actually seems like a pretty cool guy, and his videos are entertaining, for the most part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOtZsYdhPKw

Heh, I've actually been in touch with that dude before. When my prog project got onto the unsigned artist's cd at last year's Prog Awards show, this guy had one of his solo tracks on there as well.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Helicity posted:

This Steven Wilson album is amazing. I didn't think anything would top Beardfish's album for recent work, but Drive Home is easily one of the best songs I've heard in a long time.

You know it's a great album when everyone has a different favorite track!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

I did preview some of the "From Genesis To Revelation" on iTunes and I have to admit that it's not nearly not as bad as I was led to believe. I may actually pick it up, although I have no intentions of becoming a Genesis completionist. Heck, I'm not even a Rush completionist, and I live in Canada :canada:

Anyways, having said that - I asked previously about vintage prog recommendations and I got some really good suggestions. So now, how about modern prog? I don't own any currently, except I guess that one Neal Morse album. So please, feel free to suggest awesome modern prog stuff that I can add to my iTunes wishlist!

Porcupine Tree and Opeth are both huge in the modern prog scene. Check out In Absentia and Damnation.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

david puddy posted:

Try Anathema, they have been one of my favourites since I discovered them. They are kind of in a place between alt rock and prog though. I also want to throw Karnivool in, they have some great tunes. Also Tool.

For Anathema, try We're Here Because We're Here, and for Tool check out Lateralus.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

david puddy posted:

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is my favourite album by them.

:respek:

Me too, I think we're in the minority opinion on that one though.

For DT definitely check out Awake, it's one of their older albums and it's great.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The video for the title track of Steven Wilson's new album is available, done by the same artist who did the Storm Corrosion "Drag Ropes" video:

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/video-gaga/exclusive-porcupine-tree-steven-wilson-releases-debut-video-180525498.html

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Myrmidongs posted:

And one of my favorites which literally nobody listens to but I have to plug, Pure Reason Revolution. Their earlier stuff was a lot more proggy, then more and more electronica crept in, then they broke up :(

I remember reading that Rick Wakeman listen(ed) to PRR. Their first album was alright.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Yeah CTTE is a lot more focused and cohesive than Fragile. I like to think of Fragile as a 4 track EP with a few solo bonus tracks mixed in. I listen to just those main band tracks 90% of the time.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Would Uriah Heep count as prog? I figure any (non-power metal) band that sings about wizards has to at least have its foot in the prog door.

Uriah Heep is smoking in the yard of the prog house.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Steve Howe is one of my favorite guitarists, he has one of the most unique voices on the instrument in the rock world. Eschewing blues influences in favor of country, classical, and jazz was a really novel idea at the time.

As for seeing Yes, if its both convenient and inexpensive I'd consider it. I'd either of those conditions aren't there I would probably pass. I also hesitate to give those fuckers any money after how they treated Jon Anderson.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Your dislike list is fascinating because its actually a pretty complete cross section of prog subgenres. You've got symphonic, folk, fusion, neo, and avant all represented. It makes suggesting new stuff pretty difficult.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I actually wouldn't really call any of those bands he doesn't like avant-prog, and considering he likes Gentle Giant and Yezda Urfa, the major avant-prog bands were who I was going to suggest.

Oops, for some reason I thought GG was on the dislike list. Replied too quickly.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Octy posted:

Anything else? Got plenty of time. :)

Try:

Anglagard, Can, Devin Townsend (this is somewhat heavier than what you've listened to so far, start with Synchestra and Terria), Opeth (start with Damnation then Heritage), Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson solo material, and UK.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Actually the first Opeth track that got me hooked was Bleak, and I never listened to any music with death growls in it before that. The music was so astonishing (especially the jazzy middle section) that I listened to it about 15 times in a row, and had developed an ear for the vocals style after that.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Didn't Belew already guest on The Downward Spiral?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

If you find the video I may be able to help you out.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I caught the Opeth show in Tucson a few days ago, and it was a really really good set. I was a little worried that I would hear the entire Heritage album live yet again, but other than The Devil's Orchard the songs were pretty evenly divided between My Arms Your Hearse through Watershed. They also did a brilliant and hilarious acoustic version of Demon of the Fall.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Enemy Within's a really good song.

EDIT: I'm guessing The Enemy Inside is alcoholism, am I close?

With Portnoy no longer in the band, probably not.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

Man, the ending of Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part I is one of the most musically eerie things ever created.

Agree, it's terrifying and beautiful simultaneously, a difficult thing to manage musically.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

That new Dream Theater song is pretty awful, but it's remarkable for being the first time John Myung is audible on a DT tune.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Speaking of Hawkwind, Space Ritual is getting the Steven Wilson treatment soon.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

I thought Wilson had a shitfit and decided not to do any remasters that weren't Crimson or something?

Nah, he just decided not to do any more ELP.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

teen bear posted:

That sounds amazing. What are the chances one of them is Bruford back from the grave?

Nil. I guess is Pat, Gavin, and ???

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I'm really skeptical of the multiple drummers approach. I have yet to really hear an interesting well done example of it. Can anyone point me to something that might dispel my misgivings?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Fun fact: Neil Peart auditioned for the as-yet-unnamed King Crimson in 68 or something. He could have been the drummer on Court.

Holy poo poo. I wonder why that didn't work out.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

This happened a few months ago, but I didn't hear about it until recently and it wasn't mentioned in the thread.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/james-cameron-20th-century-fox-avatar-new-copyright-lawsuit/

This has actually been in the works since just after the film came out. I don't blame him, while watching the movie I repeatedly though about how similar it was to various Dean covers (the floating islands in particular).

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The dragons are remarkably similar too.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

There is nothing to be done for people like that.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

I lived in a rural area when I was in high school and when people wanted to avoid the boring bus ride, I would give them a lift. The catch was that instead of the goofy music they wanted to listen to, they had to be subjected to Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Rush, King Crimson, etc. I think they couldn't wait to get out of that car.

This sounds pretty terrible, and it's exactly how I was in high school. Making girls listen to prog is pretty awkward.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Girl prog fans are pretty much unicorns, although the modern bands have a little better luck attracting the ladies. I've been to Yes shows where there were pretty much no women except the obligatory old hippy lady that stands and sways when everyone else is seated.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

The first Blackfield album is really good. Classic soft-rock stuff. The second album was terrible and slightly annoying.
I just assumed the rest of them were terrible too, is this correct?

If you thought the second one was terrible, you're going to find the rest absolutely abysmal.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Katatonia have a very appropriate band name.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Tales would have made a great single album. (There are very few double albums I don't feel this way about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

alnilam posted:

I really like Ritual (Nous Sommes du Soleil) on Tales, though, which is on side 2. I agree the album feels a little stretched out - and believe me, as I'm sure most prog fans do, I have a high tolerance for long-rear end music. But I wouldn't want to see Ritual cut out :ohdear:

I don't meant they should have just discarded the second half of the album, I mean they should have chopped most of The Ancient, most of The Remembering, and a little bit of Revealing Science and Ritual. It's a great single length album with a ton of filler.