Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kayo Dot are a super frustrating band to me because I'm a huge maudlin of the Well fan but I never know if I'm gonna get something brilliant or just stupid and pretentious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
RIP guy that Kanye sampled, making nerds everywhere extremely mad online.

But seriously, ELP were great and, while Lake era KC is actually nowhere near my favorite, he was their best singer. And his vocals on Schizoid Man are one of many reasons why it's one of my favorite songs ever--to say nothing of his fantastic bass playing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've only ever listened to The Perfect Element and was never big on it. Is old PoS worth listening to if I couldn't get into that record much?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jaki Liebezeit died.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
God dammit stop taking King Crimson vocalist/bassists! Wetton era best era.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only time I ever see anyone suggest that prog is actually supposed to be progressing music itself is in this thread or when people are dissing Dream Theater.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He's more associated with jazz than prog but RIP Allan Holdsworth

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

cool so basically every prog musician is dead now

King Crimson still has several vocalists left!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Earwicker posted:

I think sometimes prog fans tend to forget is that there important musical skills beyond pure instrumental technique that are just as important in terms of making good music, but which aren't going to necessarily come across as "technically proficient" in terms of instrumental performance, especially because prog is one of those genres that has a lot of "everybody gets a solo" songs, for better or worse

for example to a large extent, a good bassist in a rock band is supposed to sound competent but not like a virtuoso. most good rock tunes (even in prog) don't really have places where it's appropriate for bassists to show off all their technical skills, which is fine because that's not their job, and if you wind up with a bass player who's constantly showing off everything they can do then you're going to end up sounding like Primus

Primus are one of the greatest bands of all time so I don't see the issue.

The idea that any one instrument is "supposed" to have a specific role at all times seems antithetical to progressive music, doesn't it? Prog bassists (hell, bassists in general) don't have to be like Les Claypool but they don't have to be like Peter Hook or Tina Weymouth either (all of whom are great in their own ways).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think I read Elton John also tried out for Gentle Giant.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

Has anyone seen any of the variations of Yes that are touring? It looks like, near me, there is "Yes" which is the most modern incarnation, as well as "Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman" which is more of a classic lineup. Is either one worth seeing at this point, or is it all a half-assed cash grab so you can say you saw Yes play a truncated version of one movement of Close to the Edge?

It looks like "Yes" is touring with Carl Palmer's ELP Experience, which also seems like it'd be cool except no one's there to see ELP for the drumming

I've seen the modern one and they were great, but Chris Squire was still alive.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I never knew there was a name for that but now I'm glad to know

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Primus album is super progged out

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/BruceLevenstein/status/921179595457560576

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Astonishing is the funniest poo poo ever and it’s fun to follow DT on Facebook because they keep making books and video games based on it. The comments are a mix of moron nerds who eat it up and really angry fans calling the album garbage and an embarrassment.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Gentle Giant seemed to have a good run. I don't have all of their albums, though - did they ever make a bad one?

Going by RYM ratings they tapered off after Free Hand but they still opened their career with 7 classics in a row

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

I think it bothers me more with SW because he can write some pretty good lyrics when he tries, and his bad lyrics tend to sound like an old hippy ranting about modern life.

King Crimson, Haken and Riverside have generally good lyrics IMO.

Yeah lyrics really only matter to me at all if they’re extremely good or extremely bad, and Wilson’s bad ones are very much the latter. He’s a huge dork and it really shines through when he makes societal observations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

The Mars Volta are the kings of "the vocal lines and cadence SOUND amazing but gently caress if any of it makes sense. "

Also, The Dixie Dregs are touring with their original lineup. Having said that, I don't know any Dixie Dregs songs. Any good recommendations to start (or should skipping them all be my best move?)

What If and Night of the Living Dregs are both good albums

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hot Rats is great in its entirety

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anyone got the $75 Astonishing book?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

The thing about newer Opeth is that the songwriting is less focused and more prog for the sake of prog. Now I know you ask "how can 10 minute songs be focused?", but up until Watershed, it felt like each movement in a song was making it's own statement and had some sort of direction.

Also, the pinnacle of Pink Floyd had to be the Wish You Were Here album. Once you start getting into Animals and The Wall, Waters started getting too overpowering in the material and it caused the music to suffer as a result.

Animals is their best album, fool

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Astrochicken posted:

I don't know what I would call what Opeth are doing now. The one song I heard from Sorceress sounded like Dethklok.

I have no idea which song that could be considering it’s a metallish prog rock album and IIRC Mikael never growls on it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Actually we’ve run the numbers and it turns out the best prog band is...Kansas?!?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paladinus posted:

There are some nice Christian bands. My favourites are probably Tourniquet and Glass Hammer. The former is thrashy, and the latter is just more classic prog rock. I'm on my phone, but you can check Tourniquet's Where Moth and Rust Destroy and Glass Hammer's Chronometree. Very solid prog albums.

Also Believer, Trouble, Incubus (not that one) and Paramaecium. None of them are prog though, though Believer can get pretty left field.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every time I see people complain about fake news I think “I used to trust the MEDIA to tell me the truuuuuuuuth”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Big Word posted:

I checked out from them completely after Portnoy left and I haven't heard any of their stuff since then, but I just read up on this album and jeez what were they thinking with this overwrought pointlessly detailed concept poo poo? Who are the people who care? What does life look like for the person who is enthusiastic about the Dream Theater steampunk nonsense album tie in phone game? gently caress dude what the hell

It’s the worst album I’ve ever heard, but also the funniest

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Labrie was once on some fantasy concept album based on a popular book series (don't remember the name), and I think it broke his brain.

The Astonishing is Petrucci's brainchild

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Colonel J posted:

I couldn't stomach listening to The Astonishing and had to switch it off 15 minutes in, but there are probably good proggy musical moments in there, which is kind of a shame they have to be buried in the rest.

There really aren't. They heard 25 years of criticism about 10 minute wankfests and responded by making music that only serves to complement a teen shut-in's NaNoWriMo project.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best part of the album is when a character is supposed to unleash a deafening scream and LaBrie just goes "aaaaaaggghhh"

Also according to the website it renders a character "hearingless" because Petrucci is unaware there's a word for that

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Oh no... I didn't know . For some reason I thought only LaBrie could be crazy enough for that.

Also, checked Metacritic...

How could this happen? I thought it was universally panned by fans and critics alike.

Not a big sample size. You should wade into the Facebook comments every time they post about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

It was a few months ago that I gave Porcupine Tree a shot and recently I relistened to The Incident. That's a solid album from start to finish although I wish the version I had split up Disc 1 into songs instead of just one song. It's a little weird how the second disc is just 20 minutes but that doesn't matter a whole lot, does it? It's great music. I've been slow to get into modern prog, although I'm going to explore PT further.

The Incident is basically a single album with a disc of B-sides thrown in. It’s also one of their lesser releases so if you liked it as an entry point you should love Deadwing/In Absentia/Fear of a Blank Planet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grudgerm posted:

I could never get into Van der Graaf Generator. Does anyone know a good album to start with?

Pawn Hearts

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mars Volta bassist Juan Alderete is in a coma after a bike accident:

https://www.theprp.com/2020/01/24/n...cycle-accident/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Very interesting tour alert: Primus will be playing all of A Farewell to Kings plus a set of their own material. Openers on every date are some combination of Wolfmother, The Sword and Battles.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/primus-rush-tribute-to-kings-tour-les-claypool-interview-953590/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stryder posted:

I got super exciting reading the interview, then saw that I'd have to sit through Wolfmother to get to Primus... :(

Are you aware that you can show up late to concerts?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hmmm

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

For the longest time, the only Fates Warning album I had was Perfect Symmetry and I didn't really care for it. I gave it a bunch of listens and it always came off as flat, mechanical, soulless. But I tried the more recent Theories of Flight and I really liked it. The songwriting seems much more animated, more interesting. So am I missing something with Perfect Symmetry? Do they have any other early albums worth checking out?

Listen to the classic John Arch era stuff. If you hear Awaken the Guardian and The Spectre Within and come away thinking they’re unanimated, then you just have problems.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

I listened to some of Awaken the Guardian while I was out doing errands and it's very, very good. So I guess Perfect Symmetry is just an anomaly with me.

When you're done with classic Fates Warning you should listen to Arch/Matheos, which is basically a combination of the best FW lineups. Some of the best prog metal of the 2010s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Astonishing is one of the funniest pieces of music ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BigFactory posted:

I see you’ve never heard string cheese incident play tom sawyer. Oh wait, missed the middle of what you said.

Primus does Cygnus x1 pretty good though.

If it weren't for COVID I was gonna see Primus play all of A Farewell to Kings this summer.