Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

teen bear posted:

I've tried Magma a few times in the past but never really got into it like I do with Area. Which album of theirs do you think is most like what I'm after?

I've been listening to the new Leprous and Motorpsycho a lot recently. Can't get enough of Coal for some reason

KA is their most accessible to me, and is my all-time favorite. Give it a few good spins. Especially track 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

JAMOOOL posted:

Echolyn and Glass Hammer are two of my faves, from Pennsylvania and Tennessee respectively. Echolyn in particular stand up to any of the classic prog acts (in my opinion), just awesome ensemble playing and great songwriting all around. GH are a little goofier, dudes with a huge Yes/ELP hard-on that eventually willed themselves into becoming as great as their idols. The current singer of Yes (Jon Davison) comes from the Hammer.

My favorite Glass Hammer album is Chronometree. I dig the vocalist way more than anyone else they've had sing, and it's pretty densely packed with nice unique sonic textures. I also like Lex Rex and a few of their recent ones - but the cheese factor limits my enjoyment somewhat.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The only album by Pain of Salvation I've been able to get into has been Remedy Lane, but I REALLY like it. Be is okay and I don't mind the philosophy 101 lyrics because I expect that shenanigans with prog, but I think it could've been half as long.

BigFactory posted:

I always assumed that pain of salvation was bad Christian rock like Spock's beard only with dream theater as a major influence instead of genesis or whatever.

Nah, just an unusually Christian sounding band name. I think Europeans aren't as immediately repulsed by religiousy words because they've generally never had the US's (and to a lesser extent UK's?) weird evangelical Christian youth group/music/film culture.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
It was surprising listening to them again after a 10 year hiatus. I was huge on Dream Theater from ~16-19. They defined high school for me and made me insufferable to pretty much everyone. I had a huge crush on a girl named Victoria and creeped her the F out when I gave her SFAM. (She actually listened to it, which I considered a miracle at the time.) After getting into various music circles where Dream Theater was the uncoolest band to like ever, I dropped them pretty quickly. Still kept my 70s prog/canterbury/zeuhl records around because those were just obscure enough to pass.

I can still enjoy listening to most Dream Theater, though many tracks have inched completely into "so bad it's good" territory for me. The lyrics are so much worse than I remembered them being. I'm pretty sure I even got emotional at SFAM as a 17 year old. The earlier you go, the better they get I think though. I like the dorky sci-fi/fantasyish prog lyrics of their first two albums.

The most striking difference I notice now is how frequently not-good the composition is. The various song bits aren't as well glued together as I gave them credit for in high school. This isn't as noticeable in their earlier stuff. Weirdly, the concept album half of Six Degrees is alright in that regard still. LaBrie's voice now sounds immensely grating to me when he's belting it. Some of the sonics in tracks like Disappear I still really like.

Haven't followed prog metal since unless you count Pain of Salvation. I kind of want to get back into it. That Symphony X Odyssey song still rules.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

tote up a bags posted:

OSI is good but the third album is by far the best IMO.

If you delete all the midtempo cheesefest ballads, dream theater were acceptable up until Octavarium.

The last two albums are worse than the demos portnoy myung and petrucci made in college in every single way, including the bass and drum production somehow

They have a literal beast in John Myung and they made him play root notes for two hours on the astonishing, petrucci and rudess should be in the hauge for that. The new jelly jam album had some nice grooves on it tho.

Also has anyone heard Neil Morse's simulation of a dream or whatever it's called? I heard it's solid but it's not on Spotify and I don't know if I want to take the risk

It's pretty good if you're into the Transatlantic/Neal Morse/Spocks' Beard sound at all. Lyrics are his usual, if you don't mind those you should be fine. I think it's his strongest release in ~10 years or so since Sola and One. Much more dense with proggy bits and light on the quasi-worship ballads.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Cymbal Monkey posted:

My friend is slowly convincing me that the super whimsical style of prog peddled by Genesis, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, and Gryphon died in the early 70s and I really don't want her to be right. Is anyone singing about combating noxious weeds and knights in armour and such in this millennium? (alternately if there's cool lesser known prog bands from the 70s that played that style that'd be cool too.)

Wobbler's album Hinterland is the closest thing I've found that tonally fits that era. Tons of prog bands that I've seen listed as evoking that style just weirdly sound like dads who liked Genesis, etc as youth and got a band together but weren't influenced by the cool things influencing those old bands . Like how Creed listed Nirvana as a huge influence but were oblivious to the influences Nirvana were pulling from. That, or it's too metal for my taste.

Not saying I don't like that dad stuff, it just doesn't evoke the same feeling for me.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Didn't get anything in the vinyl thread, but does anyone know of any record shops in Tampa/St. Petersburg or even Gainesville or Tallahassee that might have a decent prog selection? I'm going that way in a couple of weeks to see Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman.

My semi-local source of cheap prog dried up and I though I can order it, I just want to dig through some bins and find some original King Crimson releases (and the ilk). There was a surprisingly decent source spot at an indoor flea market in Jacksonville (found a promo of Discipline), but Jacksonville isn't an option this time.

Have you tried Sound Exchange in Brandon? I haven't been there in a year, but they had some good stuff last I checked.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
What Gong is good I'll fight you. Especially Camembert Electrique, solid album. I prefer it far more than their jammier later stuff.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Gianthogweed posted:

Metallica already did. Although they did change it slightly. Compare for yourself:

https://youtu.be/V6Dfo4zDduI - Metallica - Sanitarium (1986)

https://youtu.be/_Som1k26YJE - Strawbs - Down by the Sea (1973)

edit:

Although they may have lifted it from Rainbow Warrior who probably lifted it from the Strawbs.

https://youtu.be/zowid7KAmnM - Rainbow Warrior - Bleak House (1980)

To be fair these are pretty common chords and it doesn't take much inventiveness to replicate that via an arpeggio in standard guitar tuning. Folks rip from one another all the time but considering the amount of times I've accidentally copied riffs/basslines I wouldn't be surprised if it was all coincidence.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I don't think the self-indulgence is the problem, they're just not very good at writing lyrics.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yowsa, where can I find more albums like Joanna Newsom's Ys?

It hits a lot of my buttons. Specifically:
  • Folk instrumentation
  • Well-thought-out orchestral arrangements (as opposed to some cello hits)
  • Long, meandering songs that aren't repetitive
  • Dense, esoteric lyrics
  • Variable tempo
  • Emotionally expressive vocals

1000% check out My Brightest Diamond

One of the more complex tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYS4CYF4Y1Q

A bit more straightforward/rocky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrmaLFIh1w

Other super good cuts of hers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUFne6WJHdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNd6P2W9c2I

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Nah, he's some form of non-denominational charismatic/evangelical protestant. I mean, most non-catholic/orthodox Christians can be considered Lutheran if you trace the lineage but it's a whole different thing in modern terms.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm seeing King Crimson in Frankfurt tonight. Anyone know if I should grab earplugs?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
check out my new prog song

https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/1235890177488416769

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
LaBrie doesn't bug me when he's singing softly. While trying to sing with any amount of intensity though he just doesn't enunciate enough and every note hits a same loudness wall. Even sometimes when he SHOULD sing softly he belts it. (parts of Wait for Sleep for example) It sounds like he has a limiter in this throat with the gain turned way up.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I just finished the first volume of this religious prog worship thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5rYL5aVy8k

The proggiest bit is probably around the 7:45 mark but most of it until the last song (which is shoegaze lol) is pretty complex.

Bandcamp is here for the free DL: https://jtholen.bandcamp.com/album/the-odd-awed-god-laud-vol-1

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
was definitely more DT. is it just me or is JLB slowly morphing into Ron Jeremy?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
it's def a thing on progarchives

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
instrumentally they're spot on there but dang they needed to adjust the key of some of those tunes for Cedric

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Spock's Beard has much more levity and sonic variety than Dream Theater which imo counts for a lot. The Light, Gibberish, as well as most of V are solid.

I don't think Dream Theater hold up so well and their lyrics are downright doofy but I still sometimes listen to the albums I was into as a wee lad first discovering prog and I can still enjoy them.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
i'm in the mood for some silly wacky prog. like, good natured silly. (no Zappa, sorry)

either musical or lyrical playfulness or both could work. Canterbury and bands like Gong/Caravan come to mind, as does early Spock's Beard. any other suggestions?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
aw yeah tons of good stuff, thanks y'all. this genre has a reputation for stodginess/pretentiousness but it clearly has plenty of levity too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Gong's Camembert Electrique is an album I feel shares some DNA with that era of Genesis. Namely the often-unpredictable song structures (while still being songs) + hyper-britishness. Some of Flying Teapot as well, though I'm not as into their jammier side which this trilogy of albums has lots of. "Radio Gnome Invisible" is a good litmus track for them I think.

You might also try Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets or Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy which also have silliness and adventurous composition. I think those two records are massively overlooked by Genesis fans. Phil even contributes drums. (Also Eno did a few sound treatments on Lamb.)

Not really Lamb-esque but:
Eno's Another Green World has one foot in ambient music but the track St. Elmo's Fire features killer guitar by Robert Fripp and if you're a prog nerd you owe it to yourself to listen to it. Probably my fave Fripp solo anywhere.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 8, 2024