Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Gimmedaroot posted:

That's really too bad because Evening Star is my fav of the Fripp and Eno albums. Truly beautiful. I had a boot somewhere of Fripp and Eno performing live in France in a cathedral. Apparently some people during the tour walked out because they were expecting a rock show. There are clips on youtube, but they are incorrectly titled 1979 when I am positive it was from 1975.

Yeah I'd recommend Evening Star as the first one to check out, since it was actually composed (albeit very loosely) with the setup in mind. If you listen carefully to bootlegs from the few live gigs you can find the same tape loops or soloing ideas on the studio LP.

Listening to the live bootleg is amazing considering how well put together the whole set is for material. You barely remember it's just two dudes and some tape machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

What should have been the greatest power trio in rock history - Belew, Carey, Les Claypool - was a little underwhelming, in my opinion. I would've liked to hear more from them, but at the same time, the couple of tracks of Side One didn't blow me over.

Any band that has Les Claypool is going to sound like other dudes AND Les Claypool, rather than Les trying to blend into the group. I feel kinda the same way about Adrian sometimes but he has the musicality to rope it back and still do his thing in a group setting (EG when he was touring with Talking Heads)

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

I dunno, I thought Oysterhead worked. I'd really like to hear more Oysterhead.

And I don't know if that was the problem with the cuts from Side One, either. There was just something missing.

gently caress, you're right. The Oysterhead album is good. I guess Les just kinda needs some other people to pull in the reigns.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Sunday All Over The World still rules.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Honestly I bet it was how intense Trent wants to tour that probably did it in. Adrian's not exactly a spring chicken...

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

It's maybe the most perfect moment in all of King Crimson's music. More than anything else, the ending to LTiA Part 1 is the reason I feel like there hasn't been a truly great live version. None of the ones I've heard have given me chills the way the studio version does.

Have you checked out "The Great Deceiver" boxset? There's a great moment where their set is almost entirely improvised pieces, and then they literally drop in to LTIA: Pt I and you don't even notice it until that choppy rhythm build-up starts. That boxset is scarily good.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Mithra6 posted:

I hope it's better than Scarcity of Miracles. I didn't like that very much.

It sounded like elevator music, even with Gavin and Tony! I'm hoping the whole "3 drummer-and-bass rhythm section as frontline" thing will be awesome and a lot more groovier than what I've heard from "Scarity Of Miracles".

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Prog Doctor posted:

As far as I'm aware, no. The line-up that recorded Lizard never actually toured. It fell apart too quickly. Robert Fripp said of the line-up that King Crimson was "an unfair opportunity" for the others because they were too good to have been in the band.

I will say the 72 lineup is pretty drat good, there a few bootlegs out there where they REALLY stretch out (20+ minute versions of Groon). Boz is no Wetton or Levin, but he holds it down while everyone gets their musical freak on.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

JAMOOOL posted:

They were good! But you'd never know it from their "official" live album Earthbound, which (as Fripp will tell you) is seriously one of the worst live albums ever made.

My dad had the "Frame By Frame" boxset which had the most official live recordings you could get for sometime. I've been spinning them in my car and it's really heavy on the 72 lineup. Browsing DGMlive you can see Fripp probably was getting bothered by having so many live dates recorded but not feeling 100% on the band probably got to him in some way.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

a_big_dog posted:

I'm not convinced that Wetton knew the words to Doctor Diamond.

The first time I heard it I was convinced someone hit Wetton in the temple and was going into shock.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Iucounu posted:

This sounds pretty terrible, and it's exactly how I was in high school. Making girls listen to prog is pretty awkward.

If my girlfriend knew just how much I've listened to my Fripp & Eno Live in 1975 recording since I bought it she would probably break up with me

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Has anybody been to a Security Project gig yet? I'm totally pumped since they have incorporated a lot of stuff from I-III solo albums. Basically if I can hear any songs from PG II is a total definite for me, and the price is totally reasonable for what I assume will be a 90+ minute set. Plus I totally wanna see Jerry Marrota play live.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Gimmedaroot posted:

I was ok with this, and was ready to see Bruford on King Crimson's Thrak tour (in my top 5 best shows of all time).

A friend of mine took acid and saw one of the double-trio tours. I keep trying to get him to expand but he doesn't remember anything.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Also Theo Travis posted from 'Cruise to the Edge' that wireless on the boat is $300 for 24h... lol.

holy gently caress, I hope performers are exempt from that.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Cross-post from the post-rock thread, but here's my band's new single. Instrumental with sorta-kinda-sax-vocals?

http://atroopofechoes.bandcamp.com/track/small-fires

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Please don't ask me how I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gp7RANAX3A

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

Ahahahaha, I'm dying.

I didn't even GET to the sax "solo". Oh my lord.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

alnilam posted:

As hilarious as it is, it's... kind of impressive that someone basically midi'd out the entirety of Schizoid.
Didn't turn out to be a worthwhile endeavour, of course, but it's still an impressive feat. Same with that 8-bit passion play, which is awesome.

fakeedit: omg 5:35 :vince:

I'm actually really impressed with the drum programming, even the stuff he approximated (I almost typed s/he to not be sexist but let's be honest no women would ever make this) sounds pretty appropriate for the song.

and 6:58 is where it's at. :drat:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Grabbed a premium Spotify account today, I listened to all of "Tales" today while planting some flowers. I actually found a post on the prog-rock subreddit that gave a theory/evidence that Jon's lyrics are trying to sum up 2 billion years of life and evolution into 4 pieces. With that in mind, it's definitely intriguing and growing on me. I suspect it'll get a lot more spins by the end of this summer.

I listened to Relayer too, and I'm actually really impressed with a lot of timbres/phrases that Moraz brought, but I'm a big Zawinual fan, so it was really interesting to me to hear something Weather Report-esqe dropped in the middle of Yes. I'm starting to rescind my feelings towards post-Bruford Yes.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 27, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

My dad got me a ticket for my birthday. Anyone going to Boston on the 15th?

Someone let it slip on their facebook page they were rehearsing "Starless", so I'm guessing the "ITCOCK-Islands" idea is being flexed a little bit.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Fripp just discreetly confirmed "In The Wake Of Poseidon" is in the set. :drat:

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 10, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

After 11 years of pu-pu'ing and "No way man, Fripp doesn't like it so I don't like it" I finally get Lizard. Holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo.

It's almost disappointing to me because I have no more Krimson releases to be discovered, at least studio recordings.

Edit: In an alternate universe all Fripp does is write ballads and then sleep on his giant pile of money

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 12, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

DGM posted a minute snippet of what appears to be LTIA Pt I from the rehearsals today.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

It might be the production. The last few albums I've seen with Roy Thomas Baker's name on them really didn't sound good at all.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Greetings from Three of a Perfect Pair Camp 2014!

fuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyouFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU

...I hope you had fun!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

Haha, yeah. I'd say "small world," but the American prog fan community has always seemed pretty small and close-knit.

We're all just a few crafties away from each other.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Could we get spoiler tags on any more set list updates? Pat mentioned they still had a ton of stuff they DIDN'T play so I'm excited to see what they will rotate in and out of the set.

Edit: Biff (one of the techs for Robert) confirmed the setlist will be rotated from night to night. Sweet deal!

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 10, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Earwicker posted:

everybody ITT except me is now on a first name basis with the members of King Crimson :smith:

wish I could afford you fancy prog rock nerd camp

Some members are bigger on social media than others. Pat goes crazy on Instagram and actually replies back to comments. Tony's always had his blog and Jakko is pretty liberal about who he'll friend on facebook. Biff the tech is pretty easy going too and accepted my request fairly quickly.

I see Bill as sorta a direct link between Michael Giles and that era of rock-drumming to current times.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

I never knew Mel played with Camel and Caravan.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa back up the Prog Fun Bus. No loving poo poo!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

A short teaser, I'll post more tomorrow when I'm not exhausted, but...

MEL loving COLLINS.

His playing over "VROOOM" was just...holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo WHY DIDN'T THIS HAPPEN SOONER

We got "Starless" too

Hooookay so prepare for the ocean of Spoiler tags

Set list wassss (best of to my memory, once I find another source I'll see if it was as accurate as I remember

Larks 1
Pictures of a city
Scarcity
Level 5
Red nightmare
VROOOM (with Marine:475 Coda!)
Hell hounds
Letters
ConstruKction
Hells bells
Sailors tale
Light and day
Talking drum
Larks 2
Starless
Hoo doo
Schizoid

The show production itself was surprisingly minimal. There was only one large lighting cue in Starless. During the middle section with Bruford's 13/8 bass riff it gradually bathed the stage in Red light. I was sober (except for the beers I had during dinner) but I swear in the middle of that lighting change it felt like I was tripping. I can easily see why Fripp choose to be illuminated. I could easily see if he wasn't, you would forget he was there. He was mixed fine, but Mel clearly stole the show. At certain points in ConstruKction and Level Five, he would be soloing over where Adrian would and it just felt so RIGHT, it was mind-blowing. Nothing felt lost, and it never felt like "oh well there's this hole here we have to fill up somehow" I was never the biggest fan of The Letters but Jakko really did a superb job with it. I think he might be my favorite Crimson vocalist now. Tony was amazing, bouncing from Stick to Electric Upright to the Three Of A Perfect Pair bass, sometimes in the same song! There was a moment in Scarcity of Miracles where THAT Fripp-Fuzz-Tone came out, and the hairs on the back of my neck just stood UP. It was instantaneous and slightly scary how VISCERAL it was, even on a tune as "mellow" as that one.

The three drummers took a surprising route, very rarely playing together except for moments of extreme bombast. During the breaks in One More Red Nightmare they were trading fills. I really saw Bill as a direct link to Michael Giles and the drumming from '69, pretty much laying down the beat and puttin' down the groove. Gavin took most of the heavy lifting/Bruford licks, while Pat pretty much just Jamie Muir'd it all night, with his weird-rear end cymbals and electronics. The stereo separation in the PA between the sets was stupidly good.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 16, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Mel actually told me (in Albany) Robert implied/said he could have 'come back' sooner but it somehow didn't happen.

If you cand find out what hotel they're at you can probably meet most of the band after a show. It was the Hilton in Albany.

Mel likes port.

Jakko and Mel in 2007 doing 'Starless': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0dAuT7LDQI

As much as I wanted too I had to get back, plus I'd feel a little creepy stalking them out as good as my intentions were.

Can $80 magically float it's way into my bank account so I can see the second show tonight?

Edit: Patricia (Fripp's sister) was handling merch and allowing photo ops! I heard Toyah flew in to Philly and was also in the crowd in Boston tonight, but I didn't see her.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Earwicker posted:

Isn't she a somewhat famous motivational speaker or something?

She is, there's actually a great lecture with her and Robert, where Robert talks about all the trappings of being a professional musician. He talks about the contract he signed with EMI where they had all rights not only on this planet, but also any other planets humanity might colonize in the future, and any space beyond that. There's also a great anecdote Andy Summers told him. It was the peak of The Police, and Andy Summers decided to hike to the summit of Kathmandu. At the top is a kid selling Coke, in a Police shirt with a Police tape playing from him boombox. Last time I checked I believe it was on Spotify.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

These did NOT feel like a farewell tour. No inside info, just no way did it feel this was a final trip for this band.

Agreed, and the level of arrangement within the few new pieces definitely was not thrown together in anyway. I really, really hope we get a real, honest-to-goodness new Crimson album.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I recall when the Disciple rehearsals started in 81, Fripp had some lyric sheets, but after a few days Fripp and Belew came to an agreement that if Adrian was going to sing, it was going to be thru words that he wrote. I feel that's an explicit agreement still being upheld today. "Ade's not here, so we won't sing his words" where as with Sinfeld's words there was no question that there would be a revolving door of vocalists.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Are they any good? I went to a Tony Levin Band show once, and it was fine (actually really good cause Kaki King was the opener and I had never heard her before), but Tony's songwriting runs the gamut of super cheesy to holy poo poo this is super cheesy.

Even when Stick Men get into cheese territory it's goofy fun prog compositions, like "Supercollider" which has tony doing elephant talk-esqe rambling vocals about atom smashing.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Tony Levin quietly mentioned Crimson would be back in 2015, but nothing confirmed yet.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

My dad had a tape dub of the fourth disc of the Frame By Frame boxset (1981-84) and just played that in the car ALL the TIME. I thought Fripp mouse-solo in "Elephant Talk" was the funniest thing for years.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Actually, since we're on the Genesis train, my girlfriend's father HATES Genesis/Peter Gabriel. I'm not really sure what it is, except I think he was just too old or not interested in prog when it came to the states, and was just really against anything with production values in the 80s (he also really hates U2, but to be fair I think the only thing he's heard is stuff of Joshua Tree)

I get a real kick out of listening to Genesis while doing work for them. I told him how I did a bunch of house painting to "Selling England By The Pound" and he nearly had a conniption fit. If I tell him I did some light carpentry to Foxtrot it might just send him over the edge. I don't even play it publicly, it's just on headphones and he STILL gets upset.

If I told him how much yardwork I've done to Tales Of Topographic Oceans I'd be a dead man.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

It's not REALLY prog, but Daniel Lanois' new album "Flesh and Machine" is really, really loving good. Total headphone album. In some respects I kinda wish it was more of what Eno's "Small Craft on a Milk Sea" was doing.

Edit: man, I mangled that last sentence. I meant I wish "Small Craft on a Milk Sea" was more like "Flesh and Machine"

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

I'm interviewing Steve Hackett tomorrow for my radio show (which will air later this week). Any questions I should ask him?

I'd ask him how he dealt with Tony Banks' keyboards harmonically and tonally. Like, would he try and play different inversions of the same chords, or only play specific notes in Tony's chords, or would he play something that contrasted? Same with the tone. Would he try and compliment them a lot or would he try and contrast them, or was it a mix?

If Tony Banks is a sore subject (understable) then I'd like to know how he came up with the idea to implement sweep picking and tapping when he was one of the first ones to do it in recorded rock music.

Hope those didn't sound too geeky.