Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Allen Wren posted:

goddammit, 40 minutes is a totally acceptable length of vinyl, it shouldn't be a mini album or what the gently caress ever

I'm guessing that it means it'll be only five tracks or so. "Level Five" tour EP was 45 minutes long if I remember and had only five tracks on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

He got a standing ovation for The Music Box and Supper's Ready (which they did in its entirety :stare: )

Who did they get to cover vocals? I saw that Jakko sat in on a few tunes at some Hackett concert a while back.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

preordered the new Crimson live album on vinyl as the final xmas present to myself: http://www.amazon.com/Live-At-The-Orpheum-Vinyl/dp/B00QJH5QRK

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Nobody Interesting posted:

Ugh. Wish they toured the UK.

Tell me it was poo poo so I feel like I didn't miss anything.

Robert's dropped some big hints that they're trying to look at suitable venues in smaller cities for a UK tour in 2016

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Well, I'm obsessed with the song "Survival" and Peter Banks era YES now.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 15, 2015

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I found this interview with Peter Banks, it's pretty good for some anecdotes, also finding out he was roommates with Fripp in 72!

http://www.themarqueeclub.net/interview-peter-banks-yes

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Welp, my package from Kohl's came in:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Possibly Chicken posted:

Mel Collins definitely makes the live album, just wish it wasn't so short. Hopefully it's just a taste of things to come.

DGM and Jakko dropped not-so-subtle hints that there'll be a giant bunch of shows from the tour up in a bundle at some point.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I noticed amazon quietly pushed back my Live At The Orpheum vinyl copy to early March. A little disappointed but understand that something like that takes time. I heard some cuts from that Jakko interview. I tried to abstain until I got my record, but "One More Red Nightmare" and "Sailor's Tale" were...pretty unfuckingbelievable. I was expecting shittier sound quality, but with the digital compression from the stream on my home studio monitors, sounded quite alright to me. I'm also hoping that the mastering process for vinyl will give a little bit of "sonic fairy dust" to the album (e.g. a lil' bit more compression for the vinyl pressing than the digital release)

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 9, 2015

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Just applied for the June Introduction to Guitar Craft camp. Fripp will direct. We'll see!

*sigh* one day. One day I will eat porridge in the woods with Fripp.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Aaaaand accepted:

Congrats! A close friend of mine/former bandmate has been to a few and is a "Level II" according to their vernacular. He highly suggested it to me. It seems like as long as you're pretty open to ideas and not just "d00d when are we gonna learn to play SCHZOID?!?!?!111" you'll be admitted. I'd love to hear all about it when you've completed the retreat.

This is INCREDIBLY nerdy but I've wanted to string another guitar in NST for years, but always stopped myself citing it would be unfair if I took a beginners' GC course.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 30, 2015

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Marklar posted:

Chris Squire has a rare form of leukemia

:(

Yes will still tour with Billy Sherwood on bass.

and John Wetton posted on his twitter he just went in for two unknown-yet-important surgeries. Bad times for prog bassists.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

After Amazon dropped the ball hard, I finally have my copy of "Live At The Orpheum" on vinyl.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Both John Wetton and Geoff Downes have tweeted this morning that Chris Squire passed away. Nothing official yet, but it doesn't look good.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Scotland Squire posted on Facebook that Chris will be cremated at 3 pm local time in Pheonix, AZ. Set your alarms or schedules accordingly.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

That's one album I listened to once and never had an urge to listen to again.

The first two tracks are excellent, you have to admit.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Saw Yes in Alpharetta.

Steve Howe is still amazing.

Steve really seemed to have stepped it up this tour, at least the youtube videos I've seen. Definitely a lot more fluid and nailing parts he had trouble with in the last few years.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

How was Billy Sherwood on bass? I feel like Yes could really bring back the fire if Alan White would step up his game too. They should bring back Bruford to help him out.

Bruford is out the game entirely (and apparently working on his PhD in music now...)

I read something that the last time Bruford was involved with Yes at all was during demos of the "Drama" period when Alan White broke his foot before pre-production. If there's one set of tapes I'd give my left nut for...

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

Drama? 1980? I didn't even know he was involved with Yes at all back then. But if so, that wasn't his last involvement with Yes. He was still involved with Yes as late as 1993. I remember seeing him performing Roundabout with Steve Howe on Regis and Cathy Lee. They were promoting that Symphonic Music of Yes album YesEast put out (back when Yes was broken up into two East / West factions). I wonder if that album was meant to fill a contractual obligation because I think he wanted out right after the Union debacle.

https://youtu.be/jutQgWScjQ8
https://youtu.be/3HWo-YB94LQ (this is why Steve shouldn't sing lead on Yes songs)

Ah yeah poo poo you're right, but I kinda forget about "Union" because it was literally just a cash-grab for him to fund future EarthWorks projects. They barely show him at all in the Union DVD, and even then it's just on the edge of the frame, with the most bored look imaginable on his face.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I just can't get into ABWH, no matter how hard I try.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I don't think the songwriting was terrible on Heaven And Earth, I DO think Roy Thomas Baker has loving LOST IT as a mixer/producer. The other "recent" album he's been involved in was Smashing Pumpkins' "Zeitgeist" which sounds absolutely terrible.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Holy gently caress, the King Crimson setlist from tonight. Talk about stepping up your loving game:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crimson/2015/waterside-theatre-aylesbury-england-bf77d5e.html

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Gimmedaroot posted:

That is pretty much last year's setlist, with the exception of the addition of Easy Money, The Court of the Crimson King, and Epitaph.

I saw the tour when it came to the east coast of the US last year, but I'm still in shock specifically because Fripp said (and there's video of this on the DGM youtube channel!) that if you're expecting to hear "In The Court Of The Crimson King" that you should just stay at home. He obviously did a 180 on that stance. My theory was because McDonald and Giles had writing credits that would prevent him from playing those tunes, maybe they acquiesced since then?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

No photo proof, but apparently Kate Bush was there as well!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Well, I think the most important question to ask since they're doing "Easy Money" now is...does Jakko sing the infamous alternate second verse? I've listened to so many live gigs that it throws me when I listen to the recorded version.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Earwicker posted:

and I love some metal or at least metal-ish bands like ... Kowloon Walled City,

YES

Gianthogweed posted:

That reminds me. Have you guys ever seen these guys prog rock reviews?
https://youtu.be/1i8WgfnLbr8

I like their reviews and it seems like they know their stuff (especially the guy on the left, the guy on the right just seems to be a rock fan, not necessarily a prog rock fan). But every once in awhile they surprise me by how much they don't know. Like with this one. It's hard to believe they never heard the classic 7 Moody Blues albums before. It's one thing if they were teenage kids just discovering their Dad's record collection, but these are middle aged Brit's who've been listening to prog for decades now. In their Genesis reviews the guy on the right had never heard the Gabriel era albums. I guess, to me, it's just strange to see prog afficianados older than me discovering these prog albums for the first time that I've had on rotation since I was a teenager. It probably shouldn't be though. They're not much older than me (in fact they may be younger than me, it's easy to forget how old I am) and there's albums that they've heard that I haven't.

I actually think the format works really well, huge nerd with casual-to-moderate fan of bands, and usually comes at it with a fresh angle. They also have quite a sense of humor about themselves other than some other reviewers who I've gotten sick of.

That being said when the one guy does the King Crimson reviews where he stacks his CDs on top of each other, I have a heart attack.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Haha holy poo poo go see Gabriel/Sting play. Hearing the first lines of Selling England By The Pound made me pee a little.

There's even a rumor he was rehearsing "Carpet Crawlers", but I saw it on the internet and make of that what you will.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

gahd-dang double post

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Holy gently caress, Fripp is not loving around this time:

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/radical-action-to-unseat-the-hold-of-monkey-mind-standard-edition-p1602.aspx

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

X_Toad posted:

Wasn't Emerson's keyboard setup completely ridiculous too? Or was that just the size of the drat thing?

But Downes rig is consistently facing away from the audience, which just seems... rude? And this is coming from someone who defended Fripp when he was deilluminated onstage in 2003

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Earwicker posted:

exactly, there's nothing about Dream Theater or Queensryche that is in any way more musically "progressive" than Metallica or Slayer.

although if given the choice I'll choose "Operation: Mindcrime" over a DT album any day

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I saw The Musical Box tonight and they throughly blew my mind. Highly recommended.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

I think the sticking point back in those days was Squire, whereas now it's presumably Howe.

A friend of mine asked why I bought tickets to ARW over Yes (who are playing near me on my birthday) and it was Steve Howe. I will happily see him on a solo tour or a small trio like he's done in the past, but even with Alan's replacement on drums, it was clear he was the one who was holding things back. Everyone else is just trying to follow him.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

David Singleton is spilling some real T on the Krimson/Belew beef that's been bubbling up...

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/RF_diary_2017_August_22

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I also saw ARW a week ago. And You And I was great, but I wasn't a fan of the rearrangement of Awaken. Wakeman's Moogs might have been the best sounding Moogs I've ever heard live though.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I saw King Crimson last night, good god they melted my loving brain. So much growth since I saw them 3 years ago.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Colonel J posted:

"Supper's Ready good" is the normie prog take but the track IS good goddammit!

Live it's incredible.

Saw The Musical Box do it last March, can confirm.

It's amazing what you can do with a few strobe lights at well timed cues.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Happy 50th to ITCOTKC

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

XBenedict posted:

That's why his singing voice still sounds exactly like it did 50 years ago.

When I saw AWR four years ago (!?) I was so impressed that almost all of the songs were in their original keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Welp, looks like that it for Krimson as a touring act.

Fripp always has surprises up his sleeve, but I really do think this is the end of Krimson performing live.