Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Gazpacho - Night (2007)

Is Night better or worse than Tick Tock? That's all I've heard by them so far and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Witchfinder General posted:

I've really been digging Area's Crac! album lately, but I haven't been able to get into their other stuff.

A couple reviews point out that this is the band's most accessible album, so what are some other bands that are similar to the Crac! album? I really like the melodies with funk and jazz bits breaking in and I love the singer going nuts all over the place.

Crac! is my favourite album by them but they do have a lot of good material.

Try Arbeit Macht Frei next. It's got a lot more of what you're looking for from them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56bvk3o7t_E

1978 Gli Dei Se Ne Vanno, Gli Arrabbiati Restano! is right up there as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEIEf9YbWjo

For some reason most people I know started off with Caution Radiation Area which is good but not really as interesting as the others.

The first half of Maledetti is also pretty good, but I could never get into the rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RvkrZuE9I

I'm not sure if I've heard their other two albums without Demetrio because his voice is about half the reason I kept coming back to Area, but I should probably track those down and have a listen.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Witchfinder General posted:

Awesome, those first two are nice.

I love when Demetrio does speaking/whispering parts. They're just so cool and work so well :allears:

And yeah, I've got Maledetti, but I only like one or two tracks on there. I'll probably give it another go at some point, though.

He's something else. After hearing Area I went on a bit of an Italian prog binge but haven't been able to find anything like them.

What albums got you into Gentle Giant? A friend of mine keeps telling me to listen to them but I wasn't really impressed after hearing In a Glass House.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Gimmedaroot posted:

Wow I'm very excited for this.

Do you have a link to Fripp's blog for any of these posts?

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

If this results in any kind of tour I will be ecstatic.

Are the reissues that noticeable of a difference? I might have to pick them up.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Is there any new news on JFC and A Scarcity of Miracles? I think it's supposed to come out in May

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Anyone else have a listen to A Scarcity of Miracles? I've had a few listens now and I really enjoy the first half of the album, the title track and The Price we Pay being my favourite so far, but I'm not too into the last few songs.

In other news apparently there's a new live King Crimson album coming out soon http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78800&FID=19

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

I just picked up To Shatter all Accord by Discipline and it's probably my new favourite album of 2011. Something about it reminds me of Gazpacho at some points, but all around a wonderful album to listen to.

Has anyone listened to their previous two albums? I had never heard of them before this album but it seems like they've been on a 15 year or so hiatus.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Recently I've found myself listening to their live albums more than anything else. USA, Absent Lovers, The Great Deceiver, there's something about their live albums that I don't get from other bands.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

My favorite Crimson release since the post-ProjeKct days is actually the live album Level Five. It's barely even album-length, but the track selection is so good. Dangerous Curves and Level Five are paired here in a very Talking Drum/LTiA part II sort of way, and it works so much better than what they ended up doing on The Power to Believe. Plus you get a good performance of the still-unfinished Power to Believe part 2 (Virtuous Circle), Deception of the Thrush, and an absolutely loving amazing performance of The ConstruKction of Light so flawless it's hard to believe it's actually live. I never realized how great this track was until I heard this performance—it's now one of my favorite Crimson songs, bizarrely terrible lyrics and all.

I'm a big fan of TCoL so now I'll have to pick up Level Five along with some of the re-issues.

abske_fides posted:

Anyone heard the Fripp albums with Eno? I've been meaning to check them out since we've started talking about ambient and Eno a bit in one of my music classes.

No Pussyfooting is an album I go back to every now and again but I never thought it was anything particularly special.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Latest news from the Dream Theater website:

quote:

Joining DREAM THEATER, starting June 16 in Columbus, Ohio and for the rest of the tour, is special guest Crimson Projekct featuring Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Markus Reuter, Julie Slick and Tobias Ralph. They’ll be performing the songs of progressive rock legends King Crimson.

Looks like I might have to make a trip to the states this summer.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

tentril posted:

Does anyone here listen to Ruins? I admit I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't see them mentioned at all. Basically a really nuts drummer and bassist from Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlYCLpsb-Ns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-Yc2llcEU

It's been the same drummer since it started, and he collaborates with different bassists every few records.

I saw the Ruins Alone tour last year and it was a really good show. Wish Koenjihyakkei was touring through...

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Did anyone see the mini-KC tour with Dream Theater this summer? How was it?

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

david puddy posted:

This is kinda exciting

That sounds amazing. What are the chances one of them is Bruford back from the grave?

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

I really like Hybris and If I Could do it All Again, I'd do it All Over You would be worth picking up if you like the Canterbury scene

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

If you liked Crac! give Arbeit Macht Frei and Caution Radiation Area a listen.

I've been looking for suggestions for bands similar to Area. If anyone has any I'd love to hear 'em

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

If you're looking for crazy gonzo-jazz, maybe Magma?

I've tried Magma a few times in the past but never really got into it like I do with Area. Which album of theirs do you think is most like what I'm after?

I've been listening to the new Leprous and Motorpsycho a lot recently. Can't get enough of Coal for some reason

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Re-posting this for good measure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64VGyoIyBgc

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Any idea when tickets will go on sale?

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

No idea when tickets are going on sale, but I'm going to keep a close eye on it. I had tickets to their Toronto show a year ago, but I caught a nasty case of shingles and had to give them to someone at work.

Looks like Toronto tickets are on sale this coming Friday. I'll be there shingles or not

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Fun at Camp (I think you can see this)

"Breathless", Fripp. TL on bass

Rats no. One sec. Now?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10212507661299355&id=1017396071

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Is what I get

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

amazing news. really looking forward to the album (and hopefully a tour)

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They're implying they're up for a tour if someone wants to kick them $8500 (check the top reward tier). If I had $8500 in savings I'm not gonna lie there's a good chance I'd blow it on making a tour happen because I'm dying to see this band.

I saw the Ruins Alone tour and it was something else. Would love to see the full band.

Just curious, where did you hear about the kickstarter?

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Cymbal Monkey posted:

If you haven't heard the Ryochestra album, get on it, especially if you like zeuhl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXWmRa-efE

This was amazing -- thank you

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Does anyone know the ticket pre-relase codes or details for the upcoming King Crimson shows? Looks like pre-release tickets are going on sale tomorrow for Toronto

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Very tempting, but there's also a "facebook" and "ticketmaster" pre-sale listed on the ticketmaster page for tomorrow for regular tickets. DGM online only mentions pre-sale codes for mexico dates

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

cool, thanks!

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

I will happily listen to a new mix every 10 years or so

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Did anything else come out of that day long press conference?

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

very happy to wake up and see every king crimson album up on apple music in addition to the weekly commentary/single

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Are you mistaken friendo? I have no such catalogue. Still just the live stuff.

This is what I'm seeing now:

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Hopefully the projekcts come online too

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

I’ve always liked USA and Earthbound for their live albums but I don’t think either of those are streaming unfortunately

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Anyone seen king crimson on this latest tour yet? Catching the show in Toronto tomorrow. Can't wait for it

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Yup. Leipzig and RAH. They played Cat Food.

That's all I needed to hear. The 50th anniversary release today of it was great

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

King Crimson last night was fantastic. They did all the songs from the first album except "I Talk to the Wind." Tony Levin did a wonderful solo on his electric upright for "Moonchild." During the solos for "Starless" they did two choruses of a 12-bar blues. It was a very proggy blues, but still interesting nonetheless.

Yeah, it was an incredible show as always. Everyone was great but I had no idea how entertaining Mel Collins is to watch play

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Apparently security were garbage at enforcing no pictures, from colleagues present.

Where I was — pretty close to the stage — there were a lot of cameras out. Security was shutting down some of them but nothing like when I saw them at Massey hall a few years ago.

Definitely saw Fripp call someone out but unfortunately he did not stop the show to yell at him

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

I was hoping to attend but am highly ambivalent at best now.

Why's that? Is something different this year?

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

The new Motorpsycho album was pretty good. That's about all I can think of from this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Spacegrass posted:

Here's a good article that got me into progressive stuff a week ago. I'm a metalhead by heart, though this article is good for someone just getting into progressive rock (Like me).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.loudersound.com/amp/features/10--heaviest-prog-albums-ever-pallbearer

this was a very cool list -- hadn't heard a lot of them. although I like pallbearer so it's probably not too surprising I like what they like