Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Came out a while ago so it may've been discussed here, but Haken dropped 'Puzzle Box' off their new album and it's really good, I like it a lot more than 'The Good Doctor' which I thought was a bit poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ayreon is doing Electric Castle live next year. The cast is already shaping up great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5yvFKISA4

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Hammer Bro. posted:

On a vaguely-related note, I don't think I've seen Major Parkinson's Blackbox mentioned here before. Until that album, their connection with prog was tenuous, though there was something I always found pleasing about their compositions, and I'm sensitive to repetition in a way I can't well describe. But Blackbox has multiple lengthy songs and, more importantly, a rhythmic motif that's deftly woven throughout the album. Or at least I think that's what's going on. There is definitely a similar cohesion that is not apparent at first but unfolds with subsequent playthroughs.
I had Baseball pop up on my spotify discovery one week out of nowhere. I immediately listened to it again, queued up the album, and repeated it again. I think Baseball is still my favorite, but drat that's an interesting spin.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Paladinus posted:

Ayreon is doing Electric Castle live next year. The cast is already shaping up great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5yvFKISA4

The first four seconds of this made me laugh super hard. It's like Arjen was temporarily controlled by Tommy Wiseau

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Anyone like Big Big Train? I've been really enjoying The Underfall Yard (especially the title track).

Welcome suggestions on where to go next with them. TUY supposed was something of a turning point for them - should I just go on from there or is their earlier stuff worth looking at?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 20, 2018

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

English Electric vol 1 is pretty good. I also like Gathering Speed. You can try Folklore, but I thought it was kind blah overall.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've gotta stop listening to Infernal on loop while I'm doing computer stuff. Things I like about it:

1) It's melodic. I don't mind a little tonal dissonance to create tension, but I'm not fond of when albums just go all over the place with the notes.
2) It's theatrical. Texturally, those weird mouth sounds and occasional falsetto / real-low-voice bits really keep my interest.
3) It takes a few main motifs and really runs with them throughout the course of the album. I hate repetition, but I love vamping.

What should I listen to instead?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TheForgotton posted:

I had Baseball pop up on my spotify discovery one week out of nowhere. I immediately listened to it again, queued up the album, and repeated it again. I think Baseball is still my favorite, but drat that's an interesting spin.
I found Major Parkinson right after the release of their previous album, and I've been a pretty huge fan since. It's been really interesting to follow their progression from a Norwegian Mr. Bungle to the dark cabaret meets Faith No More's Angel Dust of Twilight Cinema to... well, whatever the hell Blackbox is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's happened with The Flower Kings that Roine Stolt has to release his new album as Roine Stolt's The Flower King (singular)?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
If you haven't heard the Ryochestra album, get on it, especially if you like zeuhl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXWmRa-efE

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not really into prog rock at all (more a punk kind of guy), but I've been listening to Rush lately and they have some great songs. Those guys can play. The singer sounds incredibly high-pitched but somehow it works.

No point to this post, just wanted to share

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The new Haken album is solid but it hasn't blown me away like their last two. It's a little heavier but apart from that it sounds very much like another Haken album, and doesn't really have the creativity they've shown before. It's also leaned a little harder into the Dream Theater influence, which isn't really what I want to hear from them. It's still good, and I'm sure I'll listen to it a bunch, but hopefully they have some new ideas for the next one.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Speaking of bands that sound like Dream Theater minus the two decades of accreted unlistenable horseshit, I haven't listened to Vanden Plas since Christ.0 back in 2006 or so. Have any of their recent ones been worth listening to?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Michael Giles showed up to the Crim show last night. I shook his hand and thanked him for all the great music and happiness he'd been part of for me and others.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Cymbal Monkey posted:

If you haven't heard the Ryochestra album, get on it, especially if you like zeuhl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXWmRa-efE

This was amazing -- thank you

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So the whole thing where people are like "never meet your heroes."

An addendum:

If one of your favorite bands has an album that people have gone on for decades telling you not to listen to it, maybe they're right.

I'm listening to Love Beach for the first time and I want to die. This actively hurts. And I'm saying this as someone who thinks Works is great. gently caress.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I saw Riverside last night and holy poo poo guys, could be the best show I've ever seen. They were full of energy, sounded phenomenal, and the new songs work really nicely live. They didn't play anything from Shrine of New Generation Slaves which was sad, but overall a nice varied set with plenty from the back catalogue as well. 100% definitely see them if you get the chance. They also played River Down Below and dedicated it to Piotr, and it was really beautiful. I was super glad to see they decided to honour him by playing as well as they possibly loving can.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not really into prog rock at all (more a punk kind of guy), but I've been listening to Rush lately and they have some great songs. Those guys can play. The singer sounds incredibly high-pitched but somehow it works.

No point to this post, just wanted to share

Rush is the "gateway drug" to prog for most people. Especially people into metal/punk/hard rock. Once you indulge on their more epic proggy stuff (Xanadu/Hemispheres/2112/Cygnus X-1/La Villa Strangiato) might I recommend you listen to the prog rock bands that had a big influence on Rush? Namely Yes and Genesis. Yes is probably the more accessible of the two, and was considered the "Gateway Drug" to prog before Rush came along. Genesis is darker, weirder, more theatrical and takes a little more to "get", but is a lot more rewarding IMO. Of course Genesis became way more accessible and pop friendly in the 80s, but so did Yes and most prog bands. Then of course there's the ultimate prog band that had a huge influence on Yes and Genesis: King Crimson. Probably the least accessible but most respected. That first album is pretty much well loved by everyone though.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

hexwren posted:

An addendum:

If one of your favorite bands has an album that people have gone on for decades telling you not to listen to it, maybe they're right.

I'm listening to Love Beach for the first time and I want to die. This actively hurts. And I'm saying this as someone who thinks Works is great. gently caress.

I still think Love Beach is better than "In the Hot Seat", and probably on par with "Black Moon". Still a bad album though. ELP just crashed and burned after Works and never recovered.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

hexwren posted:

An addendum:

I actually like two songs on Love Beach, the title track and "Canario". really damning with faint praise here but it's better than their 90s albums. really is disappointing that ELP did almost nothing worth giving a drat about after 1974, though I do rather like the Powell album and the 3.2 disc that came out this year (which I think I already posted about ITT) is actually very good, though technically Emerson isn't even on it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKi3aQyWqHM

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

finally, a new song from Bad Muse

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wow! it sucks

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Why would you use the last thirty seconds and what sounds like half of a chorus of a song to tease an album instead of, like, a big hook or something?

oh wait dream theatre they don't actually have hooks

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Im a loser and i just discovered ELP's Tarkus and it's amazing and it sounds like the Chrono Trigger soundtrack.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Astrochicken posted:

Im a loser and i just discovered ELP's Tarkus and it's amazing and it sounds like the Chrono Trigger soundtrack.
Uematsu was a huge prog fan in general, and of ELP in particular. "Dancing Mad" from the FF6 soundtrack is practically ripped right out of Tarkus.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Vulture Culture posted:

Uematsu was a huge prog fan in general, and of ELP in particular. "Dancing Mad" from the FF6 soundtrack is practically ripped right out of Tarkus.

That's what it is! That's amazing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That sure is some Dream Theater music.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

All the times I've connected Tarkus to Nobuo Uematsu, it never occurred to me until this morning that an animal tank features prominently in the Squaresoft canon in a different game that Uematsu worked on

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Vulture Culture posted:

All the times I've connected Tarkus to Nobuo Uematsu, it never occurred to me until this morning that an animal tank features prominently in the Squaresoft canon in a different game that Uematsu worked on

I feel like I should know exactly what you're referring to here, but I can't remember.

I found an unexpected ELP reference in Dance Dance Revolution of all places. There's a track called "The Least 100sec" that is very obviously based on a part of Karn Evil 9.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 4, 2018

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm going to be optimstic on this one just because Labrie sounds OK and the drums were recorded above water for once.
I mean it can't be WORSE than the last two albums.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rick Wakeman's been adding stuff to a YouTube channel. Live performances, some albums, episodes of Gas Tank.

It's Wakeman's so it's nothing exquisite. The cheesiness of No Earthly Connection is right up my alley, so a live version of The Prisoner was fun to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcg5zY6Ivk&t=2355s

The album track from Two Sides of Yes that uses the main theme from Close to the Edge is pretty good, too.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Crimson will play 3 nights at the Royal Albert Hall on June 18-20, 2019. Fyi

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Crimson will play 3 nights at the Royal Albert Hall on June 18-20, 2019. Fyi

I wonder if they’ll film it. That would be cool

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It was a few months ago that I gave Porcupine Tree a shot and recently I relistened to The Incident. That's a solid album from start to finish although I wish the version I had split up Disc 1 into songs instead of just one song. It's a little weird how the second disc is just 20 minutes but that doesn't matter a whole lot, does it? It's great music. I've been slow to get into modern prog, although I'm going to explore PT further.

I also relistened to Marillion's Marbles and that's a good one too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

It was a few months ago that I gave Porcupine Tree a shot and recently I relistened to The Incident. That's a solid album from start to finish although I wish the version I had split up Disc 1 into songs instead of just one song. It's a little weird how the second disc is just 20 minutes but that doesn't matter a whole lot, does it? It's great music. I've been slow to get into modern prog, although I'm going to explore PT further.

The Incident is basically a single album with a disc of B-sides thrown in. It’s also one of their lesser releases so if you liked it as an entry point you should love Deadwing/In Absentia/Fear of a Blank Planet.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, I don't think you're going to find a lot of people who thinks The Incident is one of PTs best albums. It's good enough, I like it, but there's a reason it sort of killed the band. Anyway, if you liked it, I'd just recommend moving backwards through their discography from there.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

If you're digging a band like Marillion I say go back to Signify and work your way forward. Dark Matter and Waiting pt. 1 are essential anyway.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

Yeah, I don't think you're going to find a lot of people who thinks The Incident is one of PTs best albums. It's good enough, I like it, but there's a reason it sort of killed the band. Anyway, if you liked it, I'd just recommend moving backwards through their discography from there.
It's a really weird album because it was simultaneously so ambitious and so self-restrained. It's clear his songwriting attention was totally split between that and Insurgentes, but it seems he felt like The Incident needed to follow a clear and obvious trajectory from Fear of a Blank Planet even though he wanted to be writing something else. I almost think of "Permanating" as the song he actually wanted "Drawing the Line" to be.

Having said all that: saw SW at a nowhere venue in the middle of Long Island yesterday, and even though some of it was spoiled by the setlist being awfully close to the Home Invasion album, it was a phenomenal show. "Routine" was absolutely killer and "Index" was a welcome surprise. I don't know how bands like that go out and play back to back sets for 3 hours a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Yeah The Incident was a huge disappointment after Fear. I don’t think he’s ever quite matched Fear with his solo albums yet, although Hand Cannot Erase was really good