Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

It's probably just because I'm going from marathoning the entire Shippuuden series over the course of a month to just watching the latest episode once a week, but these last two episodes have felt like a little bit of a ripoff. I mean, don't get me wrong, the fight in the last episode was pretty drat cool, but the first 10 minutes of both episodes has been boring time-wasting recap stuff.

I guess they're just trying to keep a slow pace to stay away from where the manga is at currently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

uG posted:

Yea somebody tell Sakura that the Will of Fire is a guys club only.
I just really hate how her character has been handled after Sasori. She was actually competent back then and now she's back to being weak and useless... What a waste.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've really held out for a long time on Sasuke. I've been in Naruto's corner, hoping that the peaceful option will prevail. I mean, the show wants you to side with Naruto against all odds, since the noble choice in his scenarios seem so impossible, but he eventually overcomes everyone's expectations. However, Sasuke is just SOOOO unlikeable now that I can't even understand why anyone could feel hope for this guy. He was never really a friend to Naruto in the first series, no matter how much they try to frame the flashbacks now. He's also repeatedly stated that he will never return to his old life/village. He's killed or injured tons of people, and the show doesn't even give the viewer any hints that he's secretly tring to spare lives if possible. Hell, he was 2 steps away from executing Karin in the last ep.

Man, just gently caress this guy already. How much can he do before Naruto realizes that Sasuke is a dangerous rear end in a top hat?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Slave posted:

You really expect the peaceful option to not prevail? I mean I'm sure there will be one or two mega Naruto/Sasuke throwdowns with summons and demons and eyes and lots of clones getting instantly popped and rasengans and poo poo but you just know that in the end the three are all going to live happily ever after and all will be forgiven
Yeah, I know that will happen, it's just getting past the point of audience empathy for Sasuke now. I felt that Pain had a solid philosophy and actually felt like a deep concept for a kid's show. His approach to ending war was pretty convincing, brutal as it was.

Sasuke on the other hand just wants to kill people, and beyond that, I don't think he really gives a crap about anything.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of Itachi, I think it was quite a stretch to expect the audience to consider him a "good guy" when they revealed the whole twist about his past. He still killed his entire extended family in cold blood, women and children all, just because maybe they would have started a coup. I find it hard to believe that every single Uchiha was in favor of the revolution plan or was even aware of it, since Sasuke obviously didn't know anything about it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Corte posted:

I'm pretty sick of this bullshit to be perfectly frank. Yeah it was better than the last couple episodes but that's not saying much. Do we seriously have to settle for episodes where maybe half of it is new content?
This.

There seems to be two philosophies when it comes to not wanting to catch up to a show's manga source:
-spread out the content by going really slow and including recap clips in new episodes (what's happening now)
-go at a normal pace and have several months-long filler breaks

At this point, I think I'd prefer the second option.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

Don't forget the episode where sasuke-kun~ had to wear cat ears. Also Can I get some Demon Wig love in this filler discussion?
That ninja cat episode has to be one of my favorite filler joke episodes. Absolutely love that one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

-Blackadder- posted:

^^^

Seems you're not alone in thinking that. This thread doesn't get a lot of traffic so I sometimes head over to NarutoForums after an episode. That's where I recently came across the below. I didn't even know anyone made stuff like this. It's fan made so it's not quite up to par with what we usually see obviously but it does get your point across about missing a great opportunity for a larger Saskue/Kakashi fight.

What do you guys think?
That was pretty drat awesome. I think I'll consider that fan-made production to be how the real fight went down in my mind instead of the official version. Of course, there were a few over-the-top parts (giant firebird thing, Kakashi's clothes except for his mask burning off, Kakashi getting a hand through the chest, etc...), but it's still preferable to recaps of old footage.

EDIT: (I think everyone wanted to see a Chidori vs. Raikiri, too. I mean, aren't they pretty much the same thing?)

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 5, 2011

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Corte posted:

Four episodes of the same bullshit is my limit I think. I'm with those wishing for filler arcs over these flashbacks with a dash of canon. Guess I'll take a break for a couple months then come back and see if anything has improved.
I wonder what Japanese Naruto fans are thinking about the current series of filler/canon eps. They're probably just as frustrated as we are. I tracked down a little bit of the manga at the same point as the anime but I couldn't get into it as much as watching the show. So much of the appeal of Naruto is in the fluid fight scenes and it lacks so much when it's just black and white stills.

Edit: although I know I should feel a little guilty about watching the fight scenes knowing that a few were traced from other sources (cowboy bebop the movie, live action Kung Fu movies, etc).

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 11, 2011

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I guess I should be happy that Sasuke is out of the picture for a few episodes (I think?) and that next episode is apparently focusing on Killer Bee, Kisame's sword, and that other ninja village because this will eliminate the flashbacks that Naruto/Sakura/Kakashi/Sasuke have been having.

However, since Sasuke just retreats and licks his wounds, it seems like YET AGAIN we've wasted a bunch of episodes getting Naruto to Sasuke and NOTHING HAPPENS. I mean, you could argue that each time they meet, Naruto gets a little bit closer to getting through to Sasuke, but there's really no evidence of that. Had this story been tightened up a bit, this emotional breakthrough could have been covered in a single conversation, not several.

When the show is finally over in who-knows-how-many years, I'm sure I'll be happy with everything wrapped up, but being here in the middle period, it's just torture. Don't even focus on Naruto+Sasuke if you're not going to advance their plot in any significant way! Give us insight into some other characters or villages. The opening song shows tons of exciting stuff happening, but it feels like months ago when any of that happened and I'm still waiting for Naruto to be on a friggin' boat with Killer Bee (WHEN IS THAT HAPPENING?).

Arg. I'll just continue watching the filler episodes from the first series that I skipped a few years ago, because somehow they're more satisfying than the current storyline. At least they wrap up a story.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pyrotoad posted:

This means the dub is almost at the Three Tails arc! Hooray! :suicide:
Man, no matter how much I complain about the stretching of content in the past few episodes, there's no comparison to the slow pacing during the Three Tails arc. I watched that whole thing in a few marathon sessions, and even that felt like it took forever. I can't imagine how it would have been to watch it each week. The conclusion wasn't even that satisfying and the whole crystal jutsu poo poo was lame.

I much preferred the previous filler arc about the elemental ninja right after the canon story introduced the rules of elements to Naruto (it seemed like the writers wanted to explore and flesh out that idea). That blossomed to a full-on assault of the Leaf Village and a freakin' zombie attack!

The bubble jinchuriki arc was okay too because it was much shorter and to the point. Even the Konoha tales arc was fine because they were disposable short stories and some of them were pretty funny (and they used the old music!).

No excuse for the Three Tails, though. Throw that in the garbage.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In the latest episode, when they flashed back to the fight with Pain and Hinata, I actually felt some excitement.

Then it went back to the regularly scheduled show.

WHEN WILL THIS SHOW PICK UP THE PACE AGAIN?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

People have been guessing that it was the real Madara and that Tobi isn't the real Madara and/or Tobi doesn't have Madara's body anymore and the real body got rezzed.
It has to be this. Why else was Kabuto all, "don't worry, I'll keep your secret" to "Madara"?

Tobi's probably not who he says he is.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CubanMissile posted:

And on this episode of Naruto: Shippuuden, the ninja team gets tripped up by a sea king that Luffy could knock out with one punch. Also, an orphan. Always a loving orphan.
I haven't seen today's ep, but I'm guessing Naruto on the sea arc is going to be "Naruto: One Piece edition"?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CubanMissile posted:

This episode is like an boring optional side quest from a bad RPG.
That's how I feel about all 1-5 episode arc filler stories.
They're not terrible (usually), but they feel like I'm watching missions from a Naruto video game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

I hope you're right about this only being 5 episodes. However, I am no longer optimistic when it comes to naruto filler.
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't actually mean this will be 5 episodes, just that Naruto filler arcs (from the first series) didn't usually go longer than 5-6 episodes.
This arc could go 20 episodes, who knows?
BTW, why do they even need to make so much filler? Aren't they nearly a year ahead in the manga?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah filler this week. Next week's preview tricks us into thinking they'll end it, but don't be fooled!
This filler feels even more meaningless because the only main characters involved are Naruto, Yamato, and Guy (and Guy's not even in the episodes much because he's always keeling over with nausea).
At least with the filler in the old show, you'd get different main character combos, so you would see how they work together and more screen time for your favorite ninja.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Soviets posted:

And Hinata learns to believe in herself when fighting the BEE NINJAS! :downs:
The dumbest definitely was the piss rainbow. I had heard the term when people made fun of filler, but I assumed it had to do with Akamaru marking someone with his urine or something. I was not prepared for the actual storyline.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Soviets posted:

I didn't make it that far into the filler. I'm going to watch this. Now.

Edit: What the actual gently caress.
It's episode 192.

EDIT: ah, looks like you found it. Yeah, it's something that would fit in a show like Crayon Shin-chan or something. In Naruto, it's just... gross.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I can't stand this filler anymore, please someone go to Japan, put a gun to their heads and make them animate the canon arcs now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

Not that anyone is really missing anything, but I'm posting to say filler will probably continue to the end of the year. The episode listing for the month of November is all filler, I've seen nothing to suggest it'll be any different for December either.
drat.

I gave up watching back at the Pirate Island episode. How could they think that Naruto + Guy and Yamato could sustain a bazillion filler episodes? The whole appeal of Naruto is that everyone in the huge cast has their own super powers and you could play favorites. Did the producers tell all the voice actors to go take a long vacation since their characters will be gone for the next few months?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the biggest problem with filler (particularly in Naruto) isn't that it's super poorly written, it's the fact that it never has any relevance on the overall plot because by definition it cannot.

It really would be better if they could just call up Masashi Kishimoto and say, hey, we want to do a plot arc where Naruto does the Chunin exam now that he's older. Can we just pretend that actually happened and/or you just tell us what happened and we'll flesh it out? Instead, everything exists in this weird universe where everything about it is immediately forgotten after it happens.
At least in the first filler arc of Bleach, a few anime-only characters they added were featured in a few scenes in later episodes, even though they couldn't affect the plot. Also, when Ichigo flashed back to his old battles in his mind later, the filler villain was shown as well, establishing that the filler happened in canon.

Doing something like that at least treats the loyal viewer with respect. When a filler arc is forgotten, it's kind of a slap in the face to the people who watched every episode.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wow, I wasn't expecting this great, emotional episode after dealing with so much filler. This poo poo made me just about cry, I was never expecting that they'd have him meet his mother. The color mixing explaining the origin for his orange eye-sore clothing blew my mind too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Charlz Guybon posted:

How did they do this?
His mom is the Red Habanero, his dad is the Yellow Flash. His mom mentions something like, "and what does red and yellow make?"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Umph posted:

Hey guys, Im trying to watch this series but the breaks for non existent commercials on Netflix then the recap after the fake break then the 2 minutes to play the next episode and ffw through the song and recap after 10 minutes of actual show is ruining it for us.

Are there any movies or fan edits that make the arcs more like a movie that you know of? Since the show is free on hulu and it's on Netflix I don't think this is a files question.

I recently watched the star wars fan edit so I'm kind of hoping naruto has something similar, even If only for the early arcs. Googling 'naruto fan edit' is scary,

Thanks!
Ugh, I wish there was something like this too. I've seen all 450+ episodes of this show and it's impossible to recommend it to anyone because they'll just say, "there's no way in hell I'm watching over 400 episodes" especially when filler is mixed into the canon episodes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chaostime posted:

Guh, are we back to filler eps again?
I almost can't put into words the gut-wrenching emotion I experienced when I started watching this week's episode after finally thinking this show was going somewhere with the assembling of the ninja army last week.

It's like a gigantic slap to the viewers' faces to have this filler episode come out of nowhere, retread plot that has already been shown multiple times, and introduce a new opening that might just be in the running for worst song of all time.

They're hurting this show sooooooo bad by not just going on hiatus and releasing episodes clear of any filler. I haven't read the manga, but was the whole "Naruto, hide in this turtle shell and gather animals" plot that happened within the canon episodes a few weeks ago made up for filler? It feels so out of place when they smash the original work with this garbage!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Triple Elation posted:

Finally the plot is picking up! I can't wait for the next episode. Naruto will probably do his best to befriend this Sasuke guy now that they know they have something in common. Also there were some big hints about a myth arc, like the way everyone seems to hate Naruto with no reason, and the old guy (who is he? He looked important) refusing to tell Naruto who his parents are. There's bound to be more of a story there.

What I'm really curious about is Sakura, because she's clearly important but she got sort of left out of the spotlight this episode. Seeing as she's being set up as part of a trio of main characters I'm betting in a few episodes we will be seeing her coming into her own and being on equal terms with Naruto and Sasuke. I'm kind of disappointed in that we seem to be headed for the tired old shonen romance plot where she ignores Naruto and hates him for like 300 episodes and then suddenly changes her mind and they live happily ever after, but hey, this leaves plenty of room for Sakura to pleasantly surprise us by doing something different.

I have to admit the plot is in too much of a rush for my taste -- the headband thing kind of came out of nowhere and its significance was never explained, and particularly about 3/4 into the episode the narrative became erratic (Specifically the part where suddenly Team 7 and Kakashi are out on a field trip and 2 people with gas masks and a chain come out of a puddle and attack them, without any indication for why this is happening and how exactly we got there). But I have to say I fully understand the producers there; they want to avoid the trap so many shonen series fall into, where instead of advancing the plot we retread old ground, explore useless fluff and get hung up on time-wasters instead of getting to the important points the audience cares about.

So all in all I think this shows a lot of promise, and whatever early pains this arc is experiencing will go away during the next few episodes. Let's see where this goes next week!

N.B. Did anyone else see the ending? It was totally packed with foreshadowing. There was a bit of grown-up Naruto and Sasuke sparring, some yet-unintroduced characters and a lot of focus on Sakura and this other blue-haired girl, standing there and looking worried. Who do you think the other girl is? I don't think we've met her yet...
This is pure gold.

I wish there was a breakdown of every filler episode like this, such as looking into the symbolism the show creators fit into Naruto's urine rainbow.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 7, 2012

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tae posted:

Japan doesn't believe in re-runs. It's much cheaper for them to make new episodes rather than run re-runs apparently. (Or they just really love wasting money.)
And I've read somewhere (I have no idea if this is true or not) that if they lose a timeslot by going into reruns or going on hiatus for a time, that's pretty much it for a show, it's over.

Maybe that's why they stuff so much filler into these multiple-hundred episode shows: just to stay on the air.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 29, 2012

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Triple Elation posted:

Not so fast.

Next episode: Flashbacks to the search for Sasuke takes 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 and umpteen; 2nd bell test; Naruto & Sakura vs. Sasuke; Sasuke vs. Itachi; Sasuke deciding to kill everyone.

Episode after that: Recap of all the "sailing to turtle island" episodes. Naruto passes the special broom technique from the ghost ship episode on to Konohamaru.

Episode after that one: Recap of all scenes relating to the grudge between the Hyuuga main house and branch house. Ends on an optimistic note with everyone singing "Jitensha" A-capella.

Episode after that: The Oogakari invade and give Naruto god mode powers with which he proceeds to wipe out Akatsuki single-handedly. Just when things start looking up, Sakura wakes up in her bed on the first day of the Chuunin exam. Again.

Episode after that: We find out that under the mask under Kakashi's mask there's another mask.
The sad thing is that I actually had to check the names of the next episodes on wikipedia to confirm that you're joking. That's how bad this anime has gotten in terms of filler.
Even this last episode with the mobilization of the army felt stretched out. All we got were a few little conversations with the reanimated corpse characters and a cliche "let's all get along" speech by Gaara.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So... it's been months since the last post. Anyone besides me still watching week to week?

I feel like it's just meandering and boring now. There are still fights, but they're essentially meaningless, since the author seemed to just pull a "back-from-the-dead" card with a lot of the villains.

Nothing has hit the same heights of the Pain arc since then. They should have just ended the whole story right there, forget Madara ever existed, and tie up Sasuke right before the final fight and make Naruto the Hokage for saving the world from Pain. THE END.

Ugh, but no, this whole Ninja War thing started, shown sparsely from week to week intermittently with filler episodes. It's horrible. Even the preview for next week seems (?) to be yet another Sasuke-Naruto "remembering the good times" filler flashback episode.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SpartanIV posted:

I still watch it. :(
Yeah, I still watch it, too. We've... got some kind of battered viewer syndrome going on here, I think. I just take my abuse and try to remember the good ol' days.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I think it's pretty cheap just bringing back dead characters and making too many battles happen at once so it takes forever for the plot to move forward. I mean, I think over the course of the last half-year, about 1 day has gone by in the Ninja War.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Triple Elation posted:

Stupid war arc. I hope we get back to something carrying the semblance of a plot soon.
Who would have thought that a storyline arc with the description "NINJA WAR" could be so insufferably boring.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Koirhor posted:

Ok rehashing fights that have already taken place is so incredibly lazy it offends me.
This is filler, right? It's so hard to tell now because even the canon parts of the ninja war are godawful as well.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kingtheninja posted:

well we got a new OP today, so in theory we should be back to canon material soon.

EDIT: But not next week :negative:
Actually the new OP was last week and I was super pumped to be back for canon when Kabuto said "I've gathered enough bodies, now it's time to begin!" or whatever and thennnnnn promptly dropped us into filler material for no reason.

Isn't the manga really far ahead now? Why are we still spinning our wheels in made-up stories that don't advance the plot?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Geez, I think this week was the first time I've ever seen filler FOR a filler. It was a lame hot-springs filler episode that apparently serves as a meaningless prequel to their own filler movie, Road to Ninja.

JUST MOVE ON, GUYS, COME ON ALREADY.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

It's funny how even the fighting game that was released months ago is still further along than the anime.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Triple Elation posted:

In case no one mentioned it yet, the June schedule:

316 - "The Reanimated Allied Forces" - June 6
317 - "Shino vs. Torune!" - June 13
318 - "A Hole in the Heart - The Other Jinchuriki" - June 20
319 - "The Soul That Dwells Within a Puppet" - June 27
320 - "MWA HA HA FILLERS FOREVER" - June 34

Ok, this is a dumb joke, but does anyone else think we're just stuck in an elaborate genjutsu ever since the fillers started? Maybe someone needs to just wake us up and this'll all be over...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ArcaneTree posted:

Checked the upcoming episodes again and it updated with:

320 "Run, Omoi" - July 4, 2013

Sounds like a good episode that will advance the story along. :smithicide:
I wonder if the poo poo this show pulls would fly for any other TV show.

Imagine if Game of Thrones caught up with George R. R. Martin by the 6th season and had to start making up full seasons worth of filler about tournaments and lemon cake baking lessons, etc. It couldn't kill off any book-based character or advance the plot in any meaningful way, either.

How many viewers would be left after a few weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ArcaneTree posted:

Did they use their entire budget on the new episode?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/naruto-shippuden/episode-322-madara-uchiha-627379

That was just :golfclap:
Oooh, can't wait to watch it when I get home. Finally, some movement in the plot.

EDIT: Yeah, not bad. It reminded me why I actually watched this show to begin with. It wasn't much in terms of story, but there's a glimmer of actual progression instead of "endless white zetsu fighting arc."

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 25, 2013

• Locked thread