Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I've been happily hosted with mediatemple for years but I want to start using django and they don't support it on their shared hosting.

Do you think I'll be able to find a host that'll let me use django for less than $20 a month?

It looks like dreamhost offer it but what's the general consensus on dreamhost these days?

e: what about webfaction? Opinions?

fuf fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone have any experience with enom? I have a few domains hosted with them (like 4) and I just noticed they have been charging me 10 dollars a month for something called "goMobi" that I never signed up for.

The thing is when I click the "Launch Support Center" button it immediately says "You are now logged out of the Support Center". :confused:

I can't really call the support number because I'm not in the US, and I can't see any other contact options on the site. I was reduced to trying to contact them on Twitter but that was 24 hours ago and no response yet.

How the hell am I supposed to get in touch with them?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Milkie Galore posted:

I think they have a ticket system when you log in here http://www.enomcentral.com/help/

This is the thing that doesn't work. The support center link just opens a new window that says "you are now logged out of the support center". :(
(I'm logged in and everything, and I tried on a couple different laptops / browsers)

Milkie Galore posted:

I suggest moving your domains to namecheap or gandi asap.

I'll look into this, thanks. Is it gonna cost me? I just renewed a domain for two years with enom...

Milkie Galore posted:

(did they automatically sign you up to the free trial?)

I literally have no idea. I don't even know what it is. I think there might have been a period when my contact email was out of date, so maybe I missed some important emails about it? But would they really start charging me for a service without any kind of consent on my part? I actually thought my account might have been hacked or something at first.

fuf fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 14, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Anaxite posted:

Looks like you're not the only one running into this problem. It was probably a "trial" added when you bought your domain names that they just started charging for.

Oh what the gently caress, thanks for this. I guess I got screwed. None of those people mention anything about refunds so I'm not very hopeful. I also just realised it's been over a year (!) that I've been getting charged. It shows up on my bank account as "domain name registration" so I guess I always assumed it was one of my domains getting automatically renewed for a year. I'm such a retard.

One of those links says this:

quote:

Recently I spoke with HostGator about this issue because they are our hosts, and our Enom account was a subaccount provided by HostGator.

I think this might be why I can't get the enom support to work. I have a vague memory that I signed up with enom through hostgator somehow (I only used hostgator for like 2 months). Maybe they don't let you use the support if it's a "subaccount"?

But yeah, gently caress enom. I would raise hell if I could get through to their support. Maybe I'll shout at them on twitter :v:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
A while ago I complained in this thread about what a lovely, unethical company Enom is, and people suggested transferring my domains to another company.

One company in particular was recommended, but I never got round to it and now I can't remember the name. Suggestions? I don't want to make another mistake like Enom.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

DarkLotus posted:

I don't sell domains through enom, I use Resellerclub, but I'm curious what issues you had with Enom.
Most people will suggest namecheap.

They started charging me $10 a month for some random service without my permission (it was opt-out rather than opt-in and I guess I missed the email). It showed up on my bank statement as "domain name registration" (even though it was something totally different) so there was no way to distinguish it from the automatic renewal of my domains, and I didn't notice for like a year.

I can't remember what the service was called but there were a bunch of blog posts complaining about it at the time and no response from enom.

I know it's my fault for being disorganised enough not to notice, but I still want to change in case it happens again (and from a vague sense of principle).

Thanks for the namecheap recommendation. Unless someone says otherwise I'll just go with that.

fuf fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 12, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

NOTinuyasha posted:

The Hacker News thread on this has a ton of other damning information and chat logs if you want to read into all the gory details.

I'm gonna admit defeat and ask for a link to this thread because I'm an idiot and can't find it. (I guess I could never be a hacker :( )

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I have basically the same question as Thermopyle and Braincloud.

I want to move away from Dreamhost mainly because it's slow.

It's mostly just for few small WordPress sites, but I'd like the option to experiment with Django in the future.

fuf fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 4, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

evol262 posted:

OpenShift is still really sweet for this, especially if it's just dicking around/low traffic. THe free tier will probably be fine.

Yes, it's an "App", as SaaS. What OpenShift provides is PaaS (gears) which can run multiple cartridges (SaaS or your own). You provision a "gear" (which is a pretty heavily customized OpenStack instance which provides your choice of language/database, git and SSH access, etc). It'll init a bare git repo. You push code to git and it deploys. You can have multiple cartridges per gear. OpenShift-maintained cartridges automatically do security updates/etc, so you don't need to worry about it. It's Heroku-ish, but somewhat next-generation.

Essentially, the Wordpress cartridge will provision a DNS name and a PHP+MySQL gear, install WordPress in it, go through basic config, and send you an email. Email and everything else will work. You'll configure it like a brand-new Wordpress install. And it'll automatically be updated. You can use a plain PHP gear and install Wordpress and whatever yourself, but there's almost no reason to.

It does sound cool, and I signed up and had a look around, but I think it might be a couple of levels beyond me. I mean I've never even used git. And I'm still not clear how I would do basic stuff like upload a couple of photos to a directory or set up an email address to forward somewhere else. I'm used to some kind of control panel, and ftp access to my own 'space'. :shobon:

But thanks for all the info :)

I think at this stage I just need some standard shared hosting, but something faster than dreamhost and hopefully not much more than $10-15 a month.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I took the plunge and got a digitalocean vps - gently caress it, $5 a month, why not?

The guides are good and I'm having fun playing around, but I'm kind of nervous about actually doing anything 'real' with it.

Like that above discussion about email for example. I wanted to at least be able to forward emails to me@domain.com to me@gmail.com. But maybe it's not worth the risk if I don't know what I'm doing?

Anyone got a list of "things you definitely must / must not do" before I try and use it to host a live site?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Cool, looks like digitalocean will do that for me for $1 a month (oh god now I'm already up to $6 :ohdear:)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

dvgrhl posted:

You must generate your own backups that you keep off site from your host.

Oh ok, I will look into that. Thanks.

Hey man, I said right there in my post I was new and nervous. This is all a big learning process for me. :shobon:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
haha, oops sorry, too many posts in the philosophy thread have made me ridiculously over-sensitive lately.

:hfive:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Not an Anthem posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, I'm looking for a light forum, or something that can easily let me deploy a few forums for about 50 users each. No requirements for language. I'm not super lingual but I can figure out anything with documentation.

I've been using hole in the wall hosting ever since they offered a "goon deal" and pay a shockingly little, although it uses cpanel which sucks, so I'm open to switching hosting to something fairly inexpensive.

Can't really help with hosting suggestions but this is really cool forum software:
http://www.discourse.org/
(but it requires ruby on rails)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Google apps is pretty good for email hosting. Standard gmail accounts but for your own domain.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
namecheap have been fine for me.

Avoid enom - they charge for extra stuff without warning you.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Biowarfare posted:

Namecheap has hosed me over in the past more than once.

What did they do?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My apache error.log is full of this:

code:
[Tue Oct 15 12:45:01 2013] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] File does not exist: /mydomain.com/vxxigg
Hundreds of times a day, from different IPs, all looking for that file / directory.

mydomain.com has been empty for years apart from an index.html.

I googled "vxxigg" and it turns out that there are loads of Chinese websites linking to http://mydomain.com/vxxigg/ with a caption about the benefits of eating raw food (:confused:).

Did someone just make a typo that keeps getting spread around? Could it possibly be anything to worry about? Can I do anything about it?

e:

Tars Tarkas posted:

Throw up an adsense landing page?

oh hey, that's a good idea. :v:

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 16, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'd like a server I can use just for backing up git repos and a few important files. So I'd like a fair bit of disk space but don't need much bandwidth or particularly high specs.

Any recommendations for a good cheap-ish company?

e: https://www.backupsy.com looks pretty good?

fuf fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 30, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

I'd like a server I can use just for backing up git repos and a few important files. So I'd like a fair bit of disk space but don't need much bandwidth or particularly high specs.

Any recommendations for a good cheap-ish company?

e: https://www.backupsy.com looks pretty good?

I ended up going for a "Seedbox" company. Turns out they are really cheap and come with huge amounts of disk space and unlimited bandwidth. I have root access and a dedicated IP, and as far as I can tell it's just a normal server apart from having rtorrent already installed.

Kind of seems too good to be true so I'm hoping it doesn't come back to bite me.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

vty posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you need a server as opposed to pushing your GIT repos and those files to S3 or something along those lines? You've added an entire layer of trouble by having to monitor, administer and secure a server when there are already SaaS solutions.

haha yeah good question, it's honestly just because I'm having fun doing things the hard way. Right now all this stuff is just a learning experience. I've been in academia for a long time and I'm really enjoying using a totally different set of skills and dealing with these cool little technical problems - it's a nice change from writing loving journal papers. :)

If I ever do anything real I'll do things more responsibly.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I really like DigitalOcean, but I don't do anything serious (none of the sites I host are particularly important or popular).

I think the interface, knowledge base and price make it a great choice for babby's first vps. (probably not relevant for Cowabanga)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Cowabanga posted:

What's a good way to recieve mail to a gmail account? I usually install dovecot and let gmail recieve emails through it but that's annoying. Is there another way that's not paying for google apps?

Google apps is free for small stuff I think? I've never paid for it. You just add some CNAME and MX records to your DNS and email sent to your domain goes straight to google (and then to your apps account).

Unless you mean forwarding to an existing gmail account, which should be even easier.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

diremonk posted:

Yeah, I thought that was going to be the case. Guess I'll start looking for a new host today. I currently have 5-6 wordpress sites, mix of personal and business, that probably get a max of 500 visitors a day. I've been thinking about getting a small VPS account to play around with as well. Should I still to having a decent host and screwing around on AWS/getting a droplet from Digital Ocean or have it all on one account?

I guess it's a little risky to immediately start hosting your sites on a VPS unless you know what you're doing. Here's what I would do (and did):

Get the cheapest shared hosting account from http://www.lithiumhosting.com/ with the goon discount and use it for your wordpress sites. There's a thread somewhere with the discount links.

Meanwhile get the cheapest Digital Ocean droplet and play around without worrying about breaking stuff.

Then when you're ready get a second DO droplet, configure it properly, and transfer your wordpress sites over. Keep the first droplet for testing new stuff without affecting your live sites. DO is so cheap that it makes sense to keep a development server alongside a production server.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
As a customer I've never used phone support and I wouldn't care if it wasn't offered.

Usually a support ticket involves copying and pasting urls, error messages, etc., and all that seems like it would be hassle to convey over the phone. I don't see the advantage at all.

Also I'm not in the US so I wouldn't be comfortable calling a US company support number in case it's really expensive.

Having said that I imagine there's probably a small minority of people who are not very comfortable with writing and would prefer communicating over the phone. It might be a deal breaker for them but there's probably not many.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
enom.com once started charging my card every month for some random service without telling me, so add that to the list.

Biowarfare posted:

namecheap sucks for all non-com/net/org extensions (their control panel is completely useless for most cctlds)

I don't really get this. How could it be better? (genuine question)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Any reason not to use https://pointhq.com/ ?
Anyone got a better DNS host to recommend?

I've been handling all my DNS stuff directly through DigitalOcean for a while. I want to dissociate it so that if I ever change host I won't have to redo all the MX records and stuff.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks guys. I love how minimal and 90s that HE site is (makes me feel like a professional), but I think I do need some of those "fancy features" so I'll probably go for DNS Made Easy (whose name makes me feel like the opposite of a professional).

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
So DigitalOcean just changed their nameserver IPs without any warning and all my sites went down because I was using vanity nameservers :v:

Kind of annoying. I've been really impressed playing around with AWS the last few days and I think I'm just going to transition everything over to there.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Comradephate posted:

Just CNAME the vanity DNS names to ns1.digitalocean.com/ns2.digitalocean.com.

oh hey I didn't know you could do that.

Doesn't work at DO unfortunately because "digitalocean.com is a reserved domain" so they don't let you add CNAMEs that point to it (even to ns1.digitialocean.com etc)

fuf fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 7, 2014

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Thalagyrt posted:

That won't work anyway. How would a resolver get to ns1.yourdomain.com to figure out that it has to go to ns1.digitalocean.com? There's a circular dependency there. They'd need to know how to get to the DNS resolver in order to find out how to get to the DNS resolver. That's what registering DNS servers with your registrar is for - it puts an A record in the top level domain so that your nameserver records will resolve without actually having to hit your nameservers to resolve them.

But would it work for a second domain?

Like if domain2.com has its nameservers set to ns1.domain1.com, and domain1.com has CNAME records for ns1.domain1.com > ns1.digitalocean.com?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Explanation from DO in case anyone cares:

quote:

We apologize for the inconvenience. The change was made without our knowledge as the IPs are hosted by CloudFlare providing a reverse proxy to our nameservers. Our engineers have addressed this issue and it will not recur.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The OP is a bit out of date. I'm trying to find the most economical way to host a VERY simple WordPress page that probably won't see much traffic.

Currently I have a DigitalOcean droplet hosting WordPress. It's cool, but probably overkill.

I'm also going to need a domain name.

Any suggestions?

Edit:

I'm thinking of sticking with DigitalOcean, It'll be a good chance to learn how to set up mail and stuff.

If you end up going the opposite way and get really lazy then http://getflywheel.com/ do managed wordpress hosting, but it's kind of overpriced ($15 a month).

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm following the advice given at various points in this thread and setting up an ec2 startup / bootstrap script so I can quickly launch new instances if they start disappearing (I guess I'll use ELB for that but I haven't got to that stage yet).

I want to pull in data from S3, so I need to get the aws_secret_access_key on to the newly launched instances somehow. Is it ok to just put the private key right there in the startup script? Or is that a security issue?

Is there another way to give an instance access to S3 when it launches?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there such a thing as a service that'll hit my server with a bunch of requests for a few minutes to see how it holds up? Almost like a voluntary DOS attack? I've also had problems in the past with MySQL shutting down when traffic gets heavy and I want to test my current setup.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
thanks old bean

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm setting up a contact form for someone on a hosting package where they only have access to cPanel (which I'm clueless about). PHP mail() doesn't work and I can't access php.ini to see what's up. Is there some option in cPanel I should be checking / enabling to enable the server to send email? Or do I need to contact support?

I've read stuff about a cPanel "Tweak Settings" page, but it's not listed anywhere.

e: haha all the emails were in my spam folder. I'm such an idiot. Please no one read this post.

fuf fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 30, 2014

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

McGlockenshire posted:

This is a very, very common problem with PHP mail() on shared hosting. You would do well to read this about email delivery and see what you can do with it: http://blog.codinghorror.com/so-youd-like-to-send-some-email-through-code/

Thanks for this.

I'm missing something with the PTR record thing. Is it saying that spam filters will check the PTR record of the IP address that sent an email to see if it points to the same domain name as contained in the "from" field?

But if it's shared hosting where lots of domains are pointing to one IP, the PTR record would never match whatever "mydomain.com" address the email is coming from, right?

For instance if I run dig -x on the IP of the shared hosting server, I get a PTR record in response, but it's just pointing to some generic-looking domain belonging to the hosting company or maybe the datacentre.

Or is the important thing just that there is a PTR record in the first place?

fuf fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 30, 2014

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

McGlockenshire posted:

As long as the PTR looks up to a name, and that name also looks back up to the PTR, that's fine. You don't need to control the PTR's name.

Alright that makes sense, thanks.

Heskie posted:

Take a look at Mail Tester too.

I've used it in the past to debug these sorts of issues, its really user friendly.

That is super useful, thanks. I got a score of 4.4 :/
Turns out there is a valid PTR record though.

Looks like the main problem is that the IP is blacklisted by a few spam filters. I looked up the IP on tcpiputils.com and it lists 359 domains pointing to that one IP. That's gotta be a lot even for shared hosting?

I think I might try and use this to convince the dude I'm doing the work for to let me host his site instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gently caress sorry for all the posts my gentle goons

The site I mentioned above is on an "SEO Hosting" package. Here is their blurb:

quote:

Multiple C-Class IP SEO Hosting enables webmasters to host websites from one control panel and assign each account a unique Class C IP address. Each SEO hosting plan include private branded name servers on separate Class C IP addresses. Search engines are aware when a network of sites are hosted on a single C-Class IP.

How legit is that? Sounds like it's only useful if you have sites on different IPs linking to each other to boost rankings?

I'm pretty sure the dude is just hosting like 5 unrelated sites on the same IP anyway, so all that SEO hosting stuff is a waste of time for him right?