Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Fangs404 posted:

Linode just increased everyone's storage by 20% for free. This is part of the reason why I continue to stick with them.

Time go to see how online filesystem resizing works.

If I don't make it back, tell my wife and kids that I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Do note that adding more memory to an existing Linode instance can be way more expensive than just switching to an entirely different VM. Linode is also in the process of rolling out a big new architecture update, so their pricing and availability may be changing very soon.

If you can tell us more about what your site is running and your rough pageview count / highest number of concurrent users at once, we can give you a better idea about your basic requirements.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Why do colocation providers make it so damned difficult to actually do business with them?

So far I've only found two that actually bothered publishing pricing. Invariably, the rest are just brochure sites that eventually lead you to a generic catch all "contact us" form.

It's freaking infuriating and I wish I didn't have to do business with any of them.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Yeah this is the wrong thread kinda, but hey, may as well.

There are lots of ecommerce solutions and they all suck rear end in at least one major way. Tell us more about your requirements?

quote:

Would it be as simple as buying a dreamhost plan and pointing the domain name to the new host?
Besides moving all the files and data, yes, that's pretty much about it.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

DarkJC posted:

I can't believe they rolled their own register_globals :psyduck:

This is amazingly common among PHP "developers" upgrading old code.

The PHP community as a whole has only started adopting modern development practices (like, oh, I dunno, unit testing) in the past few years. I can count the number of commercial PHP applications that are well-written on one hand.

Almost every PHP ecommerce solution is a steaming pile of poo poo when it comes to architecture and maintenance needs. One that actually operates under root should be every sysadmin's nightmare.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The big problem with Route 53 is that there are no zone transfers. The closest you'll get is the new ability to c&p a zone file.

We've been using Dyn for our DNS for a while now. Yes, Dyn as in the company that grew out of DynDNS.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

vty posted:

Quarterly HostGator Provo outage today.

Looks like incompetence at the datacenter level, as it's also taken down Bluehost. IIRC that also happened last time.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

fuf posted:

e: haha all the emails were in my spam folder. I'm such an idiot. Please no one read this post.

This is a very, very common problem with PHP mail() on shared hosting. You would do well to read this about email delivery and see what you can do with it: http://blog.codinghorror.com/so-youd-like-to-send-some-email-through-code/

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 30, 2014

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

fuf posted:

Or is the important thing just that there is a PTR record in the first place?

As long as the PTR looks up to a name, and that name also looks back up to the PTR, that's fine. You don't need to control the PTR's name.

When setting up mail on hosting with dedicated IP addresses, it's useful if you can control the PTR record, and you can set the name of it to the same name as the canonical machine hostname. It's also awesome if that name is also used as the MX record.

This stuff ties together into the SPF records, which then give a list of hostnames and IP addresses from which mail can originate.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Sooooooo, CGI is the problem instead of 0777 permissions?

Proper file ownership and permissions go a long, long way towards making even the most stupid vulnerability in anything less likely to exploit the entire machine instead of just the one account.

So many hosts get this wrong that creators of scripts designed for shared hosting often have to actively recommend insecure permissions just to work around file ownership stupidity. It's a self perpetuating problem, no matter what language the offending scripts are written in, no matter how they interface with the rest of the system, CGI, WSGI, PSGI, FastCGI, whatever bullshit Java does, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Inceltown posted:

The free gapps accounts got to stay free after too many people complained. Check to see if you really need to do this first. You might need to contact support to get it to stick around as I recall I had to opt into keeping free gapps but that is probably a lot less effort and cheaper than migrating.

I am goddamn livid at only finding this out now, because they've discontinued the back-to-free option as of last August and have now raised prices again. It's simply not worth the base minimum of $33ish a month.