Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vonkrieger posted:

This game was fun until I got the beam sword.

Why the hell did they put a beam sword in this game?

It's not a beam sword. :P Otherwise it would only take up one square in your inventory. It's a physical sword that, when activated has a layer of nanites flooding around the edge to constantly give it the ideal edge for whatever they detect it swinging towwards.

Nanomachines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Astroturf Man posted:

I still remember the first time I set him on fire and sent him screaming through the HK streets.

Good times. Good times.

Louis Pan was a jerk, but remember the datapad in Maggie's apartment from her lover? It was signed......LOUIS!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There is a file that mentions the shaved ape thing also, part of the other alien conspiracy theories that the "greys" people see are actually irradiated human/simian experiment victims.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Stuntman posted:

One thing I've always wondered: How come the plasma gun has a Doom-style view on it, while everything else is traditional FPS? Was the game originally intended to have every weapon like that?

I figured it was a holdover from how the old Unreal games let you change your dominant hand or have you two hand every weapon and they just left that set to center instead of right by mistake.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Deputy Dangerous posted:

I really want to get into this game, but every run I do, I can get to the terrorist-filled subway on Liberty Island/wherever it is, and can't figure out where to go. I tried crawling through vents, bumrushing the front, everything. Any advice, since I heard the game really picks up after this?

In the subway? Explore the vents more, one of them opens up right by the train. You can tell the hostages to make a break for the train, then enter the train and progress the game yourself without even confronting anyone.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Do you have a link to this?

E: It wouldn't be the first SA reference in a AAA game. Johnny Fiveaces shows up in New Vegas.

"Goons messed up the town something awful" is in GBA Final Fantasy VI. They have the inevitable conversation about RoboCop. All that's left is for Jenson to slide his shades on while telling someone to deal with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Boogoose posted:

There's also the question of Adam's origins, as I believe at some point in HR you encounter an elderly woman who worked at the gene clinic at which Adam was "treated", and she seems to have some confusion about the year of his birth. Some people just dismissed this as an old woman misremembering, but I just assumed that the baby that was "treated" at the clinic likely died, and Adam was a replacement clone with his genes rejigged to accept augmentation. Whether or not his parents were complicit was another issue.

I got a real Blade Runner vibe from this moment when I first played. There's was a continuity error in the work print of the film where Deckared is corrected regarding how many replicants are left to take out, but the scene happens right after one was killed instead of before, making the "correct" number he tells him off by one, one of the things that made everyone think Deckard was a replicant when this work print was accidentally shown and started off the whole director's cut thing. That was left in in later releases intentionally to make peopel think and Eidos Montreal probably had this specific scene of the movie in mind while setting up that conversation in that it's meant to be vague and you could take it either way with equal authority.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The ammo is shared across all guns and due to hilarious balancing it's actually more efficient to use the more powerful guns than the pistol.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WendyO posted:

Or the Green Arrow with how simple it becomes if you just hide in the vent and dart people.

I think the biggest problem in HR's level design was how cramped everything felt. I never really tried the sniper rifle at all because it seemed like guards were constantly brushing up against each other without enough time to really get around and flee/clean up the scene before someone would stumble over a corpse. The flaws in HR level design versus the original seem to have a lot of examples that both share at different times and places - highly convienient 'win the map' ducts, slowly shutting down the varied approaches, etc - but the map sizes were pretty consistently huge and spacious in OG DE.

I think both of these problems happened because of a lack of real vertical space compared to the first Deus Ex. The sniper rifles especially, I think the only time I never used one is the tranquilizer type if you take the roof approach to the very first mission. There's a lot of "vertical" space throughout Hengsha but the streets are too cramped for it to really matter, the rooftops and the ground level may as well be too different universes. Detroit is fairly uninteresting too explore too personally. I love the game overall but you can really see where they were running out of time and money. If they do another I hope an area as in depth as Wan Chai/Tonnotchi Road/the canals in DX1.

It's kind of frustrating that the two hub areas that got caught had the potential to be the most interesting since they would have been relatively devoid of office spaces.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

The cathedral is pretty great, but Paris proper feels cold and empty.

closeted republican posted:

I remember reading that Paris was one of the first worlds developed for the game, along with NYC and the scrapped White House. I guess they never got around to polishing it like they did with NYC.

Interestingly they addressed the Paris streets in the PS2 port. They made the streets a bit more realistically narrow and have many more civilians/etc. walking around.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Paris in DX doesn't even look like Paris, if only they'd have done it right with JC getting information from clochards, jumping into the seine to find some bobbing ammo crates under a jetty, eating croissants for health etc.

Yeah even with the redone layout it's still a very generic prison block city, not even close compared to how they went to some effort to make NYC accurate to reality.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Samopsa posted:

Yes, TNM is great. The bad parts are mostly easy to ignore (memes, weird forumperson-insert dudes), and there is an absolute shitton of content, endings, weapons, stuff to explore, etc. Every mission has tons of different routes to take which is great. The biggest thing I don't like is the size of the streets; sometimes it takes ages to get anywhere. Thank god for level 4 speed aug!

Why do so many games do this mega-wide street thing anyway? Like when you're in the design process do normal streets appear too narrow or something?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah the levels are way smaller and less interesting compared to the original but other than that it's pretty cool.

The Fall is just trash.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm up in UNATCO headquarters having escaped from the MJ12 base and I've just realised I forgot to set the NSF guy free from the cell opposite JC's, and the door back down to the base is permalocked :ohdear:

What a shame.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I used the map. :(
Also you can kite everything back to him and he will destroy everything for you. :3:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I want a game where I can turn into liquid metal nano machines like T2 and slide under doors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJPPS1EpIeY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

You’re probably remembering using your super legs to jump in from the outside of the penthouse, thus giving you an easier route of attack

I had this same experience the last time I replayed. The first times I played the game I was trying to jump and climb up everywhere and stumbled that whole road/her apartment just from poking around. Much more frustrating the normal way lol