Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I really enjoyed HR but there's no way it'd hold up to repeated runthroughs like Deus Ex. I'm fairly thorough with games to the point where I'm pretty sure I've found everything there is to find in the original but it obviously took me a while. With HR you can have everything useful maxed fairly quickly so there's very little stopping you exploring and finding everything the first time around. Also it felt with HR the different approaches were signposted a lot more obviously, sometimes literally with ladders and vents glowing. Deus Ex felt more organic, I'd often complete objectives through a combination of methods without really realising it and sometimes I'd just bumble across them while in the middle of having a little poke around for the sake of it. Comparing the two in some ways, especially the length, really isn't fair because they're both products of different times of game production. However I do think Eidos could have taken a few more risks and it still feels short even by today's standards.

Also I've never actually completed HR 'properly' because the endgame was so obviously rushed and an incomprehensible mess I just sped through the last 20 minutes or so not bothering to read or explore, I just shot my way to the final boss (which is also a total clusterfuck) to get it over and done with which goes very much against the way I normally play games. At the time I said I'd go back and do it properly but I've still not bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Alright you fuckers you've done it I'm going to have to play through it again. Might go fully non-lethal for once although that usually goes out the window as soon as I meet MJ12 cause they deserve to die, or I might do the total opposite and judiciously murder everyone.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Iirc you can swim to the right to find a flooded airlock with either an upgrade canister or some weapon mods there.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Does anyone else remember the exact moment when they said "Oh drat, I have to play this game"?

Mine was when my friend told me about how robot spiders broke his legs and he didn't have any medkits, so he had to crawl the rest of the way to his objective.

Me and one of my best friends sat together in school and I told him about Perfect Dark and he told me about Deus Ex and tried to one up each other with cool game stories before I thought 'gently caress it that game sounds cool as hell' and played the demo and told my mum I needed a lift into town so I could buy a game called 'deus ex', she thought I said 'day of sex' and I had to explain it was Latin to her.

Pretty good year for games 11 year old dorky me was in heaven

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Welp, reinstalling. What's the established set of hoops now? I'm downloading new vision, deus exe, the high definition texture pack and biomod. Anything else required?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Actually sod the HDTP it looks too unfinished

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Ok I installed everything apart from biomod and it worked fine, now after installing biomod it runs like poo poo. More tinkering required.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'm up in UNATCO headquarters having escaped from the MJ12 base and I've just realised I forgot to set the NSF guy free from the cell opposite JC's, and the door back down to the base is permalocked :ohdear:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'd done a 100% pacifist run up until that point as well, knocking out every NSF in battery park and Hell's Kitchen without a single one dying or any of the UNATCO grunts copping it. That fight outside the 'ton was a massive pain in the arse to successfully pacify. I even knocked out every single guy who came for Paul. Poor NSF trooper :(

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

EngineerSean posted:

You're going to die here anyway so you might as well just run out and die quick and save your ammo.

You can surrender to Gunther in conversation if you make it through the subway iirc. Which if he's being a purist is the only way to save Paul and not "die".

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

nachos posted:

"Effective crowd control" what's that supposed to mean?

On my most recent playthrough this trooper's smart arse comments about gas grenades inspired a masochistic urge in me to take my policy of being non lethal to NSF and UNATCO grunts to the extreme of pacifying every single one of them in the Hell's Kitchen shootout before anyone died. It sucked but I managed it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Big Sean posted:

The encounter with Anna in the subway...

The what?!

I don't think I've ever let Anna live any longer than she needs to in my playthroughs so this is news to me. I knew she showed up at the end of the escape from the UNATCO base but not here as well. Good old Deus Ex.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

How much does GMDX nerf the DTS?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

New discoveries on this run through: the alternative ladder and vent entrance into the armoury where your things are kept in the MJ12 base, and the hidden ladder to nowhere in the Hong Kong markets that gives you skill points. God drat game.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

When was your last run through and what mods did you use?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

General consensus is to always use biomod, it makes aug management a whole lot better. I've got it on my most recent playthrough and the DTS is still a useful lockpick. Also I think biomod adds some extra functionality to the weapons and unique ammo types beyond what shifter added but I don't know exactly what.

Beyond that the two more substantial mods are revision and gmdx. Both include level redesigns, with the general consensus being that gmdx's are more restrained and intelligent while revision changes more but sometimes just for the sake of it. Gmdx has more new guns if that's what you're after, but also raises the difficulty quite a lot which isn't to everyone's tastes.

Also now I'm going to have to finish my current playthrough, abandoned last year with JC somewhere in Paris.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The versalife and MJ12 facility in Hong Kong immediately comes to mind, you can cheese that entire subterranean base like a cyberpunk pop up pirate

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I remember installing The Nameless Mod when people were talking about it, playing it for 10 minutes until I found an item called the ‘lollerskates’ and immediately quitting and uninstalling it. No amount of people saying how good it is in spite of the stupid cliquey injoke forum bullshit would ever make me play that thing.

I feel like I’ve installed and played the other mods at some point, gmdx and revision, but I can’t remember poo poo about them. The main game is just indelibly seared into my brain at this point. Having said that I don’t think I’ve played without biomod since that’s been available as that’s the rare example of a very well done and thought out complementary mod.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Exactly because of posts like the one right above yours

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Both Swimming and Medicine are worth getting up to Trained. Swimming is hella cheap, and medkits healing 60 points instead of 30 is a major improvement.

Why use an eminently available medkit when you can spend 10 minutes backtracking to the one medical robot on the map, or conveniently healing your health 1 hit point at a time from faucets? - My now thankfully changed videogame logic

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Except all the checks for lethal/non-lethal behaviour in the opening few missions, where it definitely does have an effect. Yes there is no physical difference between a corpse model and an unconscious one, and they never wake up again, but that's the same way nearly all games implement it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Literally carry his body with you through the rest of the game

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

aniviron posted:

The first mission you can get no kills but quite a few knockouts and the game increments the flag for number of enemies killed for each one you knock out, which is why Paul and Carter still yell at you even if you don't kill anyone. There are a few instances where knocking out changes things, but not often.

This is totally wrong, I always compulsively hunt down and knock out every single nsf trooper on my playthroughs and the game deals with it correctly. Last time through I went to extremes and refused to allow anyone to die fullstop, which meant knocking out a bunch of unatco guys too before they could kill the nsf.

Castle Clinton was difficult but a cakewalk compared to Hell’s Kitchen, which took prodigious use of gas grenades over a large area to stop everyone shooting long enough to knock them all out.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I know a lot has been said about og Deus Ex being able to be set in a world where every 90s conspiracy theory was true because they were all mostly harmless and fantastical, whereas now you've got a far more dangerous and fervent atmosphere when it comes to weaponised main stream lunacy as peddled by President Dotard, but I think there's a shitload of good material to be had from our current febrile environment that I'd love to see expanded on.

Everything to do with state political interference, cambridge analytica, monolithic technology companies exploiting social media seems like it would be ripe for exploiting a suitably grim and believable near future setting in a less cack-handed way than the aug lives matter poo poo. They can even throw in some of the more batshit conspiracy theories like chemtrails for fun

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

If it's possible to get Deus Ex running on a switch somehow it would make me seriously consider home brewing it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

You don't know hard/frustrating until on a pacifist-until-MJ12-gently caress-those-guys run, you resolve to keep absolutely everyone alive in hell's kitchen, requiring gassing and prodding and batonning every last nsf and unatco dumb gently caress before they shoot each other in scripted fights

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

Do any mods let you ko the men in black?

Its possible in the base game with high melee + baton/prod

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

When killed with bullets or sharp things yeah

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Look what I found in my parents attic

Worth a play?

What a stupid question

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I have a lot of free time at home coming up in the next couple weeks and an unfinished Mankind Divided that's calling me. I'll probably continue from where I left off, which was somewhere around Prague getting dark, unless I'm totally lost. I downloaded the DLC when it was steeply discounted recently, is it accessible from within the game or from a separate menu? When should I jump into it?

Also I bought Prey for £4, excited to try it after all the high praise it's got itt.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Hi so I'm playing through Black Mesa right now and I realized it's probably time for me to try out Deus Ex, which I've never played. The OP hasn't been updated in six years and wondering the best way to Do Sex in 2019. There seems to be a good deal of controversy over the Revision mod, which I guess introduces DX9 support but also music remixes and other sacrilege. I do greatly value graphics mods, for instance I much prefer playing Black Mesa today to Half-Life or Half-Life Source.

I'd highly recommend not playing with either of the major mods (revision, gmdx) first and just sucking it up and dealing with the poo poo graphics. Biomod on the other hand adds some smart and useful changes that improve qol for the player without loving around with things too much.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I've said it itt before but I think there's plenty of juicy material from our current era that would be ripe for development into near future conspiracies without being too specific or pants on head ridiculous

Shadowy organisations using social media to rig elections worldwide, algorithms and ai controlling how people see the world, deepfakes, proxy wars, dormant cold war rivalries leading to weird nuclear incidents and a new push for space exploration, private organisations led by eccentric billionaires developing obscure technologies, constant surveillance and erosion of privacy and facial recognition software being used to profile and discriminate etc etc

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 23, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'm continuing my first MD playthrough, 2 years after I left off somewhere after Golem City, and just got back to Prague on lockdown and saw that first cut scene of the cops shooting some random civilian and that was my cue to go full ham on every pig in the city. No quarter spared.

Also I can't remember what I did with Otar Botkoveli the first time around but on continuing my play through I started exploring the theatre and found Radich and enough horrible material to warrant all of their deaths as well, so possibly I hosed up some later mission or maybe it was already hosed up because I don't think I would have ever wanted to work with Otar. Either way Koller is now horribly dead, sorry dude

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I recently finished Mankind Divided and thought the story was much better than some people were making out. It didn't seem to end abruptly at all, rather than evidently leaving scope to develop a sequel in. By setting the games pre first Deus Ex there's a limited amount they can do with the story so of course the stakes are going to be lower than the world changing consequences of the first game.

I think the aug issue is fine by itself, if a little crass with the wholesale copying of the contemporaneous BLM protests, but it would have been better if there were more discussion and exploration of all the other social issues plaguing the near future world.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

There are huge rose tinted glasses when it comes to remembering the first Deus Ex, as much as I love it. The detail in the environments was minimal compared to modern games, necessarily so due to the graphical limitations of the time, but the game used what it had to great effect to create an illusion of space. Most of Hong Kong and Paris for example were just large empty corridors or open areas and walled off buildings with gently caress all in the way of interactivity in a manner that absolutely wouldn't be acceptable in a modern game. And all the second half of the game is a series of unconnected levels, but it varies the locations and settings such that you at least feel you're travelling about.

Saying 'oh they should have made Prague but x3' is massively disingenuous and really does a disservice to the amount of work that went into making it feel like a vibrant and lived in location. I guess if you blew through it not exploring or paying attention to your surroundings too much it would seem quite sparse but it really rewards taking a closer look and picking up on all the little threads lying around, stories told through emails or the detritus in people's apartments.

There's definitely an argument that they could or should have had a more global scope with some of the missions, and maybe spread their development time around a bit more. The Utulek complex looked like it took a shitload of time to create but was probably larger and longer than it needed to be.

Also, a problem with Prague is that if you're like me and try to explore and break into everywhere as soon as possible then you can gorge yourself on it leaving not a whole lot to do as the city changes. I definitely got my money's worth in terms of the time I spent climbing around and stuffing security guards into vents but I would have liked it to be dripfed a bit more. That was one of the best things about the way the opening third of Deus Ex was handled - revisiting Unatco was fun each time as you checked out what had changed and what new loot there was to steal. And revisiting Hells Kitchen briefly later in the game was a smart way to show the progression and degradation that had gone on in your absence.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Kind of lovely that I had to get DLC to improve the game. But that was a good tip.

Er, what?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Raygereio posted:

The Micro-Assembler aug is DLC

Well gently caress me, I never knew. That is a bit lovely yeah. I bought a pack with all the DLC when it was on sale for like £2 a few months ago and just assumed it was the extra missions and nothing in the main game.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

feelix posted:

I've been skipping a lot of DLCs lately so for a second I thought I still had Death of the Outsider to play but I was thinking of the MD DLCs :( I'm sure they're good but my favorite part of MD was the persistent hub and character progression so I'm not too interested

FWIW I've just started System Rift where you break into the Palisade bank and it includes a small new section of Prague with a couple side missions and optional poo poo to explore that's quite satisfying, if that's your jam

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

RE: Dishonored, I literally never play these kind of games as anything other than stealthy guard-in-vent stuffing sims, and I never felt like I was getting the short end of the stick. I appreciate how it provided for all kinds of stealth gameplay, from methodical and murderous to speedy and invisible. My second time through, going for all the stealth achievements I did in one sitting of about 5 hours because I knew the game inside out from my first run.

I wonder sometimes if I'm missing out on a different kind of fun by never going full Rambo but I really enjoy my time with them so that's the main thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I thought that aspect kinda worked in its favour and was quite a darkly funny and a little bit meta subversion of the player's expectations for what a non-lethal run should entail