Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

closeted republican posted:

The LAW is such a beautiful weapon for loving around with. I used it to blow up the office and the generator, gibbed both Anna and Lebedev in one shot with it while nearly destroying my limbs and framed the engineer outside the 747 for the massacre by knocking him out and putting on Lebedev's bed, then used it to set off an elaborate trap in the NSF warehouse that wiped out everyone on the first floor while a grunt on the third floor politely told me he thought that I wasn't allowed in the warehouse. I now have the LAW in the MJ12 base and can't wait to set up another elaborate trap to use it on. I'm thinking about using it to set up a a chain reaction that will detonate the scientists in the meeting room and the guards in the break room in the MJ12 place under VersaLife in one shot. I just need to see if I can find some TNT boxes in there.

Also, I "saved" Paul by piling up five TNT boxes in his apartment, then blew up all of them with a LAM while holding a knocked-out riot cop. The cop will be accompanying me to Hong Kong and will be Tong's new lab assistant.

You made me reinstall the game, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Hong Kong is my favorite area. Lots of places to explore and a great atmosphere. That music is so good as well.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are there any cool playthrough videos where they talk about fun or interesting stuff? Kinda like that it-he.org thing but in video format.

I found this but it was kind of painful to watch the guy play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOPHmbulMp4

I also watched AGDQ 2014's playthrough but they only really talked about bugs and exploits and not interesting easter eggs or other cool/funny stuff.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Invisible War is also $1.74, I have never played it but am tempted to pick it up so that when I am very depressed one day I can boot it up.

It gets more hate than it deserves. Play it!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

He was too weak to go with JC out of the window to safety. He couldn't make the climb, he said. Then he murders a room full of commandos while I hide in his secret wall safe.

Maybe the kill-switch starts at the legs.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

that's got nothing at all on http://it-he.org/deus.htm

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Geight posted:

This happened to me too, I love it.

Same. It even makes sense.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hello Deus Ex thread :) Sorry, this is a little off-topic, but I couldn't find any sort of "recommend me a video game!" threads here in Games so I thought I might ask here. I'm finishing up a replay of DX:HR and I'd love a suggestion of something with similar pacing and combat to play next. I tend to like games that are a bit more FPS than RPG -- like, I think DX and Dishonored are great, but Borderlands had too many sidequests and I burn myself out pretty quickly when I have little quest markers popping up everywhere on my map. I basically just want to run around shooting and/or punching mans and upgrading my ability to shoot and/or punch mans.

Something from within the last like... five years or so, maybe? I tried replaying the original DX recently but I can't get past the very very dated graphics. :saddowns:

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines maybe. Not quite what you asked for but closest thing I know of.

Oh, check out EYE as well.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Just play whichever clan seems cool (they're all good in their own ways) and maybe restart if you change your mind.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

I liked Redemption a lot except the second boss (the guy in that monastery) was way too hard.

He made me quit the first time but then the second time, years later, I steamrolled him without trying. It was strange.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

Please don't preorder, thanks :)

I preorder games I'll inevitably get anyway if it comes with extras :)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is that coming from someone in China, I mean, The People's Republic of China? He would get shot for saying bad stuff about the government. Did you forget the government got shut down because reality is the complete opposite of what the guy said?

well first of all he's in hong kong and secondly people in mainland china shittalk the government all the time. you just don't blog or demonstrate

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Demolished Man, also by Alfred Bester, is very good as well. Leader of a megacorporation trying to commit a murder when there are telepathic detectives.

Looks interesting. Thanks!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, Minority Report obviously cribs a lot from that one.

Philip K Dick's, or the movie?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Big Sean posted:

I also believe this is true but I think the NSF terrorist was blocking me (I was still in the vent) and its also very hard to see when you are on fire. I am tempted to carry a fire extinguisher, but inventory space is so tight between a GEP gun, sniper rifle and assault rifle.

swap out the sniper rifle for a highly modded handgun. just as effective imo

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

GDMX is really good. Revision makes a lot of good changes, but also a lot of bad changes which ultimately makes it worse than the original. GDMX is mostly good as it makes much more subtle changes and balances the game much better. The game is more challenging, but in a fun way. I don't have a single complaint as the only things I don't like you can disable in the menu. Perks are kind of useless since their cost is so low and you're gonna take all of them anyway so you may as well just make them part of the skills.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

liberty island is really easy. the only reason people had trouble with it is because it just lets you do whatever on a big map from the get-go and people didn't really know what to expect.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Some cool tricks in the SGDQ for Deus Ex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vCFq-jr4U4

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Bought Deus Ex on Steam ages ago and finally installed it today. The mouse moves reeeeally fast. Too fast. I tried turning down the sensitivity but no effect.

Set it to use one CPU core. That fixed similar issues for me.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

aniviron posted:

I've absolutely 100% gone through the Liberty Island statue making sure no one died but getting lots of knock outs and had both Paul and Carter yell at me, as well as the troopers being happy. Maybe it was an old patch, but this is very much a thing that has happened to me more than once.

it's because you ran into castle clinton and the soldiers killed people, maybe. you need to take the back way

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 27, 2018

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

Lmao I just had a civilian with fully auged red arms tell me "I cant wait until the UN passes that drat law so all you people go away". The Xbox version seems buggier, I don't remember things like that happening on my first playthrough on PC a couple years ago.

E: I went to give Edward his pass and when I went to deal with the thug Jensen instead kicked the poo poo out of the poor old man on the ground. What a way to fail that.

he means americans

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Swimming is a great skill for subsequent playthroughs, there's some cool poo poo you can swim to.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It seems like there are three popular mods now that modernize the game/restore cut content: GDMX v9, GDMX v10 and Revision. Which one should I play? I played vanilla multiple times.

e: there's also Shifter and Biomod but they seem quite old?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

V9 Is by the original author of GMDX, while V10 is a revision of that that takes some jank out if I remember correctly. There’s not a huge difference, but V10 is a little more forgiving gameplay-wise. GMDX is the ideal way to play now as far as I’m concerned.

What makes it better than Revision? I hear Revision changes some of the levels but GMDX changes the actual gameplay?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

IIRC the document about the MiB augmentation mentions poison air filters so it shouldn't work at all, but hey.

i think this referred to the MJ12 troopers in better armor but not sure

Valtonen posted:

MIBs could be one-shot stunprodded If surprised. The sweet spot is somewhere at the lower back.other than that they can just be bruteforce stunprodded with 4-5 prods.

Not sure If fire extinguisher/gas sprayer works on them, gas grenades do.

one prod and one baton to the neck works too

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 2, 2021

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

If that review talks bad about the hacking then I will have nothing to do with it. I hacked everything, even stuff I had the codes for, because it was so much fun to do.

doing this from memory but: it doesn't really talk about how the minigame itself is bad, but that the way it was applied is bad: you do it hundreds of times, all important ones are made so easy you need 0 skill, it's not really tense because you can't get shot or spotted while hacking (i think, not super sure about this one), etc. there are some other minor complaints but i agree. the narrator mentions a hacking minigame he actually really likes but that it's still bad because of the problems inherent to hacking minigames

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

in the context of the game it's correct

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Which version of GMDX did you use? v9 or v10?? It's been a while so I don't remember which one is which but one of them changes way too much poo poo.

e: After looking it up I believe v10 tones down v9s changes a bit

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 5, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I personally think Revision's level changes make them worse than the original levels, but I understand others might feel different.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I didn't! Might try it

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Paris for me. This is my favorite music in the game though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pDhCRfh43o

My favorite music is the UNATCO theme.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

BoonyPC posted:

Reading through this and reminiscing, I visited the Statue of Liberty a few years ago and knew exactly where I was going thanks to Deus Ex, ‘What a game.’

My experience walking around Wan Chai and "Tonnochi" (Tonnochy) Road has not been the same hahaha

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_COWXkW2BI

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Has it been brought up how the recent Robocop Rogue City is incredibly Deus Ex influenced?

How so?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Speaking of immersive sims, I recently tried Ctrl Alt Ego. The graphics suck but drat it's such a good imsim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can still refund. I didn't like the start that much but the open areas were amazing. There's really a ton of ways to approach each problem