Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
You're actually saving on inventory space by keeping it, because it unlocks doors, disables automated security, and works as a sniper rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Play hyper aggressively with stealth and get the wallhack eyes for later on, would be my suggestion. Murdering poo poo from afar before it can fight back would be a good way to minimize risk.

Also max the bulletproofing aug ASAP, always wear a vest (assuming you're playing a mod where they only degrade through damage), and kill every sniper you see with the GEP gun when they're not looking in your direction. I can't offer specific damage numbers because I forget what mods I was playing with when I tried.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

This makes me want to try a permadeath run again.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As far as I know if you get caught on fire it's a death sentence. However if you had a fire extinguisher with you, you could have used that to put out the flames.

In castle clinton, I'm pretty sure you can just jump in the water.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

a bomb

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Has anyone played the GMDX mod for Deus Ex? How does it compare to Biomod? (i'm probably just gonna play biomod again)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I'm doing my first vanilla run since my first playthrough in like ~2009, so I'm paying a lot of attention to how things are balanced. It feels very deliberate how few prod charges you get on Liberty Island. Halfway through Hell's Kitchen you can have max prod ammo, but in that first level the scarcity really teaches you to combo with the baton.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

A lot of the stuff that GMDX adds to the levels isn't obnoxious, to the point that I didn't notice they were additions, but now that I'm seeing the default levels again, some of it definitely rings as "modder sticks thumb into pie"

**I take this back a little, one of my favorite parts of the mole people (a toppled subway car) was added by it

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 14, 2023

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I took the GEP gun and I have 20 lockpicks and 16 multitools at the airfield, and like 7 of each grenade. It's amazing how many chances you need to give first-time players for the balance to feel right. I can still remember how down to the wire my supplies were my first time through Area 51, how tense it felt.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

HR and MD letting you upgrade your inventory was a great idea.
I'm playing through IW again and my inventory has been full since about ten minutes into the game.

Given that not even the more adventurous mods have touched this, I'm assuming that DE1's inventory system is a hacked together mess that barely works for the exact fixed inventory size.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

idk if mods alter this but I just realized that in vanilla, even when you're out of energy, you can activate an aug and gain its effects for a fraction of a second. So even when you're out of energy you can muster the strength for i.e. a single powerful jump.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

the naval shipyard is a much, much shorter level when you have your buds let you in and then kill everyone else

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

It's neat seeing things that would be eye-rolls in a worse game pass because everything else is up to snuff. The game is very good about maintaining verisimilitude, so you don't care when you get to the shipyard and everyone is armed with a LAM to make sure you can sink the tanker.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

lol at all the wine on the ground in Paris. no improvements necessary, 5/5, perfect use of their assets

Zibraltar posted:

I refuse to believe there isn't a datacube on the supertanker, justifying every soldier carrying one.

If there's a playthrough where I wouldn't notice, it's this one.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The Paris catacombs feel like a Human Revolution level.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Wait, do you have to crouch to stop being on fire? I did some cool sword poo poo and a guy caught me on fire and it was still going two medkits later so I tried stop, drop 'n roll and it worked??

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I was really hyped to finally try the Plasma Rifle and upgrade it fully and max out Heavy Weapons and it's... still kinda bad? The MJ12 commandos have energy shield augs, you have to lead your targets, and the plasma travels very, very slowly. It doesn't seem to do well against mechanical enemies, either.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I might do a sniper rifle playthrough this time (GMDX). I've never used it, that weapon's consistently useful all through the game, right?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I'm trying Revision, and I'm 100% down to play Deus Ex with a bunch of amateur level changes, because I've played this game enough times that the novelty is worth it. But they appear to have placed bright lights over the entirety of Liberty Island, and it hinders the stealth gameplay and ruins the mood without adding anything. Is the entire mod like this?

**wait, does darkness in vanilla even make you harder to detect?

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I'm very impressed that there's dialogue for if you read Maggie Chow's file in the police station armory in Hong Kong before going to the Luminous Path. You can only do that by looking up the code (or breaking into a random apartment two maps away?).

**but sequence breaking does mean Maggie's run away even if it's the first time you've been to her apartment.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 9, 2024