Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Does anyone else remember the exact moment when they said "Oh drat, I have to play this game"?

Mine was when my friend told me about how robot spiders broke his legs and he didn't have any medkits, so he had to crawl the rest of the way to his objective.

That exact thing happened to me in vandenberg and it made me want to eat a bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

dud root posted:

Honestly if you're new to the game in 2017 chances are you wont replay it ever again, no matter how much you like it. So play with Biomod or Shifter to get some quality of life improvements

I played it first in 2015 and I've beaten it now 3 times. It's just so much better than all it's competirers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kxZyle posted:

I ran into crashes in the MJ12 level after the hotel raid and it looks like there's already a patch.

e: Looks like you need a save from before the level for the fix to apply. Welp, guess my playthrough's hosed :suicide:

You should be rejoicing, any opportunity to start a new game of Deus Ex is a good one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Although in both games the Illuminati was portrayed as almost completely incompetent. In HR they try and play both sides and end up nearly losing to some bit players and by Deus Ex they've got half their organization taken over by a single businessman.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HR would've been better if the eidos offices would've been playing coast to coast am 24/7 while they were making the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JC has a sick nano sword.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Grey's kind of came out of the blue in the last level.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neurosis posted:

... What?

You can follow Simon's to the holding cells underneath unatco hq after the liberty island level.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a lockpick

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Idk if it’s new but Revision now has all sorts of weird and wild addons, eg “Silent Takedowns”, in which all weapons in the game are GEP Guns

Time to install revision

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alpha protocol is super cool but it feels like complete rear end to play. Especially on PC.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Immersive world zork, imagine the possibilities. I might actually get to see what's in the white house.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They shoulda kept with the spirit of the original and just let you run past them while they impotently screamed at you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll never forgive microsoft for what they did to ensemble. gently caress em

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol if you don't run halfway through the map to find the one med it you've seen despite having a full stack of biocells

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why would you ever have deus ex uninstalled?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't think that I've ever had a mechancial keyboard, but I haven't missed it either.

Once you get one it's impossible to go back. The lovely plastic membrane ones nowadays are so gummy typing on one feels like running in jello.

Also ball mice sucked but the balls itself we're rad as hell to whip at your friends. Heavy enough you could get a nice throw, not as dangerous as using a steel ball bearing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neurosis posted:

Inventory management is one of the most unfun things in games. Especially weight management - first thing I mod out of any game I can since rarely does it choose me to make choices but merely adds tedium where I will need to spend 10 minutes lugging poo poo back and forth. See also item decay outside of items that are very fragile.

I legitimately like inventory management, weight, and item decay. I love the feeling of having to take the time to prepare for every encounter, and the panic of a weapon breaking at a crucial time and having to switch to something subotimal. gently caress the witchers inventory though, for everything CDPR did right they never managed to make a good inventory or good menus or good skill trees or anything relating to the Game part of RPG.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'd love to get one, but they're so loud. A guy I used to work with had one and you could tell when he was pissed off because he typed like the keyboard owed him money

They do make keyboards with silent switches now. You'll probably be paying premium though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I always feel super bad when I step on the rats :(

This but with the little roombas

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People here keep telling me it's good but I've never made it past the intro despite trying three times

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As long as you make it through the doors before they die it counts as a win for you

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's helpful to remember Paul's words "Remember we're police". So I shot them all and dropped guns on their bodies, one more case wrapped up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Her managing to hitchhike across the entire US in a few day's only to end up at the site of another hostage situation involving denton is hilarious

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well the games first part is in Detroit not Milwaukee. You can cheese every boss fight with the Typhoon If you don't want to fight them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Move throw heavy objects is a great one to work towards early game. Throwing fridges at people is always fun, and if you're creative you can do some really fun poo poo with it. Biggest thing is to not worry too much about maxing exp. Just searching around and doing side quests will net you basically every Aug you want by the endgame.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was even more jarring than normal for me Cause I played Jensen as an absolute tool of Sarif, who never asked any questions, and always did what he was told to keep the Cash rolling in. Then MD comes and he hosed off to work for an anti terrorist coalition, nonsense.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SkySteak posted:

I always found the 'Ton Hostage Rescue far more difficult than the Subway one, and I don't know why.

Just did this part again, best way is to take the fire escape up to paul's Apt, open the door and hit one of the guys with a tranq dart. The being shot part of the ai overrides the kill hostages ai so then you just gotta wack em a bunch. Then deal with the guy downstairs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just realized it's the underworld bar because spector helped create ultima underworld. Goddamn I'm dumb.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo you wouldn't have to buy games for a decade with a spread like that. Goddamn nowadays developers can't even sell you a whole game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Having completed it, I can now recommend System Shock 2 as a certified good game that's almost as good as Deus ex, almost.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's so good the inventory is good, but just clunky enough to make using it in combat terrifying. And the Goddamn sound design, those guys shuffling around apologizing as they beat me over the head with lead pipes, absolute top notch.

Not gonna lie thief and SS2 ruined most games sound design for me, I know exactly where and enemy is, how fast he's walking, what he's walking on, and which direction he's facing in those games. I have no idea how we've fallen so far.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The thing that always gets me going back to vanilla is the lack of mantling. It just seems like it should've always been there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's like popping open the Ps1 cover to regen your whole party in FF9 level abuse

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always felt that by the time you got the Dragon's tooth and enough Lams and GEP rockets, most of the skills became pretty ancillary, it's not like the enemies could do anything about the Rocket launching cyborg samurai coming after them anyways.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My last go through I forgot to bring anything with me so I had to go the long way like a loving peasant, I've never felt more ashamed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry, I don't have any food.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiracy theories have always been like that though. You're suffering from recency bias. Everything seems to be at a precipe of importance only because you yourself are living it. There's little difference between contemporary conspiracy, the us going to war with spain over fake journalism, and the thinking that led to ruby ridge or the oklahoma city bombing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's in a magazine under the counter in the shop in Hong Kong, very easy to miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't see how anyone can play Deus Ex and not pick the Illuminati ending