Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Holy poo poo you guys! Been playing this game since release and never used the GEP gun until now! Started a new play through and just walked right in the Liberty statue front door blowing poo poo up and rescuing Gunther. Later Paul was like ":stare: you killed a lot of dudes..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I'm playing thru revision with the "biomod" option enabled. Shouldn't certain augs like the "lift heavy poo poo" aug be passive and always on? Cuz it isn't. Am I doing something wrong or was that changed?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MrJacobs posted:

turn it on, then its passive until you use it iirc.

Yep that's it, thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm halfway or so through revision and I absolutely love it! That's all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Segmentation Fault posted:

I got my girlfriend to start playing Deus Ex. She fell in love with it the moment she heard the intro theme, and became utterly engrossed when stepping into UNATCO HQ for the first time.

Its one thing to experience this game for the first time, but sharing that experience with someone else is priceless.

Put a ring on that quick!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For those not in the know, there is finally an unofficial patch/mod for invisible war that gets rid of the minimizing between loading screens issue, adds widescreen support (including ultra wide) and the texture pack mods included. If this is a game you actually enjoy minus those inconveniences: this is for you. It's called the "visibility patch" or something like that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cat Mattress posted:

Now that nobody cares about Deus Ex: Revision anymore, it is officially available on GOG! Free if you've already got Deus Ex over there.
https://www.gog.com/game/deus_ex_revision

I think it's awesome. Almost finished with my Steam Revision playthrough and I don't get the hate. I wasn't stuck or confused anywhere, have tons of augs and am super enjoying it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually just finished my Revision playthrough at 34 hours. I remember buying this game in 2000 because it was PC Gamers Goty that year beating both Baldurs Gate 2 and Diablo 2.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It's weird having finished Revision and loving it, then seeing tons of hate for it on YouTube and in this thread. I'm playing thru with GMDX now so we'll see how that goes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I finished liberty island with GMDX and am going back to work on new game plus with Revision. I immediately didn't like how things felt, like the super fast crouch walking speed and the idea that stealth should be a skill to pump points into. This'll be my 9th play thru since the game was released. Such a classic!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Keith Atherton posted:

Found my September 2000 issue of PC Gamer with their review:

PC Gamer was once really good but went to poo poo around 2008 or so

Had a sub that year for pc gamer, such a good loving year. Baldurs Gate 2; Diablo 2, and Deus Ex. Deus Ex was goty and BG2 was rpg of the year if memory serves. That review there is the reason I bought the game back then.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still super enjoyed my run of Revision. It gets poo poo for having confusing and annoying level layouts but I loved the graphics updates that put it more inline with actually being a sequel to Human Revolution.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't there some sort of reward for sneaking near people and letting them live?

Yes there is and the game gives you plenty of praxis points regardless of approach so you can still play how you want and be rewarded. If you’re a min maxer that’s a different issue.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JustJeff88 posted:

Care to elaborate on that? I'm a freaky OCD completionist type, which is the major reason I've never played a Pokemon game in my life.

I just meant that if you kill everyone technically you get more xp. But not enough, on any difficulty, to matter enough to min max rather than approaching the game how you want.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

aniviron posted:

To my knowledge, no. I haven't played Thief 3 so I can't say for sure if it does this, but DXIW is programmed to destroy the process and relaunch the game between every level, and I assume that this was done because of serious problems with how the game was made, i.e. there are probably horrible memory leaks that went unfixed. Not sure if it would even be feasible to make DXIW have larger levels without fixing this.

Google “invisible war visible upgrade.” Its a mod that fixes this issue along with offering widescreen support and hi res textures. It’s good and no one seems to be talking about it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

jojoinnit posted:

Everyone gave up on trying to play it yonks ago. I might give it a go again with this new mod. I did enjoy the one playthrough I managed back in the day but dunno how interesting it'll feel now.

I still unironically enjoy invisible war very much. It’s the worst Deus Ex game but still a fun game.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 5, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

KillHour posted:

It's probably the engine frustum culling the objects. I doubt it's something you can do anything about.

Edit: I just reread it, frustum culling would make the entire object disappear. Is this happening when objects are towards the middle of the screen or just off to the side? A screenshot would help.

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm using Kentie's launcher and playing at 3440x1440 (or something along those lines, ultra wide screen). Objects in the game are being cut off when the lie on something. E.g. a piece of paper on a table only has half of it visible depending on what angle you look from :( e.g. the soldier lying down during tutorial is partially cut off. Is this a known issue or am I missing some obvious setting?

I play in 21x9 Ultrawide with no issues, but at 2560x1080. maybe lowering the res to that, or switching to DX9 or 10 thru the launcher, whichever is a different one to what you’re currently using.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

aniviron posted:

I'm not gonna go on a big rant but killing/knockouts shouldn't give you XP either. DX1 gave you XP for completing tasks and exploring, and that's about it. As a result, if you found a fast, efficient way to get past everyone, you were rewarded for being clever and not having to subdue everyone. In the new DX games if you want to get your upgrades quickly though, you have to go out of your way to play badly, taking down people who are not in your way.

On one hand that is mathematically true. On the other hand, no matter how you play you’ll have all your favorite abilities maxed by mid game regardless.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kontradaz posted:

What's the newest hotness with the DX mods? Haven't really ever played non-vanilla DX1, wanted to try something out that's as polished. Also may attempt the Nameless Mod for the 5th time, probs still won't get over the internet culture references.

I’ve played both revision and Gem Dicks (gmdx) and both are quite good. Revision is more of an extreme makeover while GMDX is more like “deus ex +” but I highly enjoyed both.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xander77 posted:

I deeply hate GMDX.

It's terrible.

That's weird, I didn't have any of those issues. If I had to deal with all of that BS I'd probably hate it too. Any chance it wasn't installed correctly, or there were other mods installed at the same time that interfered?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Reverse should obviously be "back" on the joystick. You also look up at the same time. This way Deus Ex can control like the flight sim it was originally planned to be.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I usually take any FPS games that use CTRL for crouch and switch to C. It feels much more natural and comfortable to me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ever since Morrowind, I always use Shift to run, because I prefer to have auto-run OFF in all my games so I can walk like the good lord intended. I like walking in all the Deus Ex games and soaking in the atmosphere.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i just use the usual fps controls for these 6DoF games, but with c to go down and space bar to go up

what does remapping get you

I use this control scheme exactly for games like Descent and Overload. Also, xbox 360 controller works surprisingly well for 6DOF. I wish I could find a good bind for old school Deus Ex on the PC, but the game uses so drat many keys i'm afraid i'll miss something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

jeeves posted:

I laughed at the beginning of MD because Jenson must get so annoyed every time his augs reset because he literally can't do anything that he got used to. It happens like every game and DLC too.

If I had grown accustomed to jumping 10 feet straight into the air and poo poo I'd be pretty annoyed too.

I like to picture Jensen finding out his augs are disabled/hosed by jumping off a tall building and failing to engage his Icarus landing system. All the while flailing and screaming "I never asked for thiiiiiiiiiis." s

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Look Sir Droids posted:

Oh, apologies for murdering that one dude then. I tried an EMP grenade but it wore off. Didn't realize I could punch him.

5 minutes later I dragged a cop to a hidden area. Found a switch, oh what's this. Electrified floor where I hid the cop. Dead. Oops.

This isn't my no kills run.

Is Invisible War worth playing? I had always seen that it's bad. I bought HR on PC for $5 a while ago and got IW with it, so worth playing?

Get the "Visible Upgrade" mod. It allows for Widescreen resolutions and fixes the bug where the game minimized on level load, along with some other graphical enhancements. It's pretty much the worst Deus Ex game, but I still really like it. It's got some good ideas and some bad ideas. But it's also the shortest game so it wouldn't take a huge time commitment to burn through.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Momomo posted:

I don't think it can really be Worst Deus Ex in a world where The Fall exists.

I don't even count that one

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Shame about the art dude leaving. I liked Jensen a lot as a protag, and really felt that HR captured what made the original game so great. The only thing missing were the conspiracy theory inspired writing, but overall I really enjoyed HR and MD. I also loved their art styles.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Deus Ex might not belong, as a name, to that dude who left Eidos, but the aesthetics, many of the characters, much of the writing and world design absolutely do. I think Deus Ex HR is just about as good as the original game and was a fantastic comeback. It's just as much of a reboot as it is a prequel. If I worked on it for years and years and invested tons of my time into making one of my favorite franchises make a return, I'd consider it my baby also. That doesn't have to take away with anything Warren Spector/Ion Storm accomplished with the original games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't play horror games in general. I've played Doom 3 and Bioshock, which have horror elements, but that's about it. But I can say for certain the most scared I ever got in a game was the original Deus Ex, sneaking around some vents somewhere (maybe versalife?) and I got shot in the face with acid by a greasal who was just past my range of vision. Just trying to sneak, and sitting perfectly still always had my heart throbbing also.

I honestly wish when the game came out that I had a better general knowledge of the conspiracies like Illuminati or M12. I was 20 when it came out, but had never studied any of that poo poo or watched X-Files. So I didn't realize that a lot of the stuff was based on real world theories. Except Roswell. I knew about that because Hangar 18 I know too muuuuuch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah, augs for the working class in HR were treated as career training. Aug your workers so you get automated productivity and keep them compliant relying on you for a paycheck and aug drugs.

Not to mention the quest where augments were being pushed onto prostitutes by their pimps.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The thing I want most out of the series right now is the sequel we were promised before HR ever came out: the game that would actually show the Liberty Island attack and the forming of the NSF and Unatco. It feels like MD was moving toward that direction, so I hope it comes out one day. I'd especially love an "in-universe" explanation for why the world went backwards technically. I get the real reason is processing power, but I'd like to see it explained in the story.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I know this thread doesn't have a high opinion of Revision but I wrote a glowing review for it about a year ago in this thread with pics!

I honestly just installed it to mess around with it...and then didn't stop playing until I finished the game 45 hours later. I was impressed with how good Deus Ex looked with the increased textures and better lighting effects.

As for the quick deaths, Deus Ex has never been an easy game and combat was always weak. Revision doesn't do anything to change that. With that said, I love to upgrade Low Tech and baton enemies by smacking them from behind. True fun begins as soon as you get the Dragon's Tooth. :getin:

I liked revision very much. And I loved the new artwork and some of the level redesigns.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gunther is that guy in your office building whose been there since the company was a startup but no longer has any relevant skills in the fast moving world of technology. He's canned right before being able to collect retirement because HR is "curtailing redundancies in the work force".

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually really enjoyed Revision and after playing it I was surprised how many people disliked it. Even the exploration didn’t bother me because I’d imagine that if it were real life that loot wouldn’t be found in every corner off-the-beaten path. I also appreciated that it made the game appear more “futuristic” inline with what I’d imagine a sequel to HR/MD would look.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Now I want desire to be playing much Deus Ex again and I will!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dishonored works just fine on my Win 10 machine and I don’t remember having to do anything special to make it happen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m picking back up my playthrough of Gem Dicks 9.0 and I might still be on the side of the fence that prefers Revision. That said I still adore this game and can’t believe how well it still pays for being almost 20 years old. I remember when this Baldurs Gate 2, and Diablo 2 came out the same year. Was there ever a better year for gaming?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

1998 was pretty insane... Half Life 1, Thief 1, Ocarina of Time, Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Unreal 1, Pokemon Red/Blue...

You got me there, plus Baldurs Gate 1 and Fallout 2 were that year as well.

Is there anywhere in Hell’s Kitchen where I can purchase some explosives? Trying to save Paul but I’m super low on equipment, and just sprinting out the front door of the ‘Ton doesn’t work because I get cut down pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I can just get killed and it'll let me progress? I think I knew this once before but there's so many conflicting facts about this scene.