Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
That must be where JC got his alcoholism from.
It reminds me of a special "emergent gameplay" moment where my brother was playing the Red Sun 2020 mod which had a lot of huge empty levels and not a lot of supplies.
He was low on health with no medkits and had to drink every bottle in an entire bar to recover health.
Deus Ex 2 was lame with how alcohol and drugs just made you take damage with no wobbly screen effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
One of the main problems with DX3 and 4 is that Eidos decided that the central theme of Deus Ex is augmentations, even though they were a pretty minor plot element of the first game and mostly an excuse for the player to have superpowers. And made it to the extent where 90% of characters in the games only talk about augs vs. non-augs all of the time, which turns out to be a lot more one-note and less interesting than the political themes of the first game.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Glagha posted:

I managed to convince my friend to play it and stream it and I've been enjoying seeing a blind playthrough of it but he missed Smuggler and the sewers in Hell's Kitchen the first time through so I hope that won't end up being an issue.

Won't end up being an issue. My brother and I weren't aware that the Hell's Kitchen sewer level existed for a long time, to the point that we first found it using level jump cheat codes. Similar situation with the fact that you could save Paul and he would appear later in the game. One of the big things that makes the game great.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm just gonna stay out of the canals at night.

Come back in the morning. Sampan rides, five credits.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Gynovore posted:

Of all the things to dislike about Invisible War, this ranks in the top dozen. The player makes a choice at the end of Deus Ex, then IW goes and says "ehhhh, I'm just gonna assume you made *this* choice." And it's the shittiest of the three choices.

It assumed you chose all 3 of the endings at once though, which is a copout answer to an unsolvable narrative situation but a bit different than the way you are putting it. DX2 got around the ending choice by making all 3 (or at least 2) of the endings come true, even though it's not possible to do so in the original game. JC brought about the Collapse/New Dark Age from Tracer Tong's ending, and also merged with Helios but the result of the merge was unstable and he fled to Antarctica and went into a coma. I forget about the Illuminati ending, of course he has his own faction separate from the Illuminati but I think it was tied in somewhere because IIRC there were 3 different loading screen tips saying "JC brought about the Collapse", "JC merged with Helios" and "JC joined the Illuminati" that would all pop up randomly.
To be fair, the ending cutscenes in DX1 don't show the aftermath of your choices (like DX2's do) so it doesn't actually contradict any of the ending cutscenes.
Speaking of which one of the things I do hate about DX2's story is how they character assassinated the cool anarchist living in the Paris catacombs by having him become The Leader of Capitalism who constantly pops up as a hologram making speeches about the evil JC Denton. Similarly Nicolette DuClare becoming the Pope of the only religion in the world
DX4 just ignored all the DX3 ending choices, though that was easy to do since they were only different versions of "what media spin do we put on the events of the ending".

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I feel like even though both DX2 and Thief 3 were a step down from previous games in the series, Thief 3 was overall a much better sequel to its series than DX2. Also while DX2 remains the black sheep of its series Thi4f became the black sheep of the Thief series after it came out...

Thief 3 only really suffered from the levels being split into tiny parts. Arguably also the hub world got tedious to go through repeatedly, and also turned into a janky mess when they tried to make Hammers and Pagans fighting in the streets. Other than that the story, gameplay and atmosphere weren't really a massive step down from the previous games. In general the Thief series is more straightforward in terms of what it wants to be and hasn't changed much between games in terms of just being a stealth focused game with a linear series of levels. I think on the other hand Deus Ex is much more driven to experiment with new things in every game and sometimes the experiments have mixed results.

On the other hand the small areas are only one of a lot of problems most fans have with DX2, which is always said to feel much more dumbed down than DX1 in general and miss the spirit of the original. In terms of both the gameplay and story. I don't think people have as strong negative feelings about T3. I have a bit of a soft spot for DX2 and think it has its merits but it does feel a lot more dramatically different than DX1 compared to Thief 3 vs. Thief 1 and 2.

It's weird to think that chuds would like Deus Ex, especially with the modern games having lots of somewhat heavy handed metaphors for racial discrimination, but I guess they do seem to love conspiracy theories.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It was dumb in Mankind Divided how they tried to play up the whole mystery of "Who is Janus?" while at the same time having only one character in the Illuminati council scenes who wasn't a previously established character from Deus Ex 1 and going "We don't want to talk about him yet" in interviews.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Captain Walker posted:

What the gently caress is Eidos Montreal even working on now? Avengers is the Tomb Raider people

Guardians of the Galaxy

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

I think my problem was I couldn't bind it to Mouse 4 or 5 which is where my modern gamer brain wants it on

I always try and keep things relatively bloodless. NSF, Unatco, US Soldiers, and Chinese Soldiers get a pass. But it's open season on Mib's and MJ12.

Also of course the game encourages you to be non-lethal during the UNATCO section but they mostly stopped bothering to do that by the time MJ12 becomes the main enemy.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The elephant in the room when talking about hacking in Deus Ex is the Breach mode in DX:MD and its brief inclusions in the main story/DLC, which I forgot existed until now. After 3 games (+90% of MD's main game) of fairly "realistic" and grounded feeling hacking, suddenly you are hacking certain systems by jacking into a full-on 3D Cyberspace world and shooting your virtual cyber gun at cyber people in the sort of thing that was already a dated joke when the original Deus Ex came out.
I guess its inclusion in the game at all was likely a publisher mandate from Square Enix management to include lootboxes and other horrible modern games design bullshit and we should be thankful it didn't affect the main game very much but I like how everyone is discussing the "realism" and such of hacking in DX and nobody brought up that you hack the mainframe by jacking into 3D Cyber World in a game released in 2016.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I'm real dumb and always thought up until now that the laser sight did nothing to statistically improve accuracy and just put a graphic of a red dot there and was functionally useless except for people playing with crosshairs turned off.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It's always like that for DLC because it includes people who didn't buy the DLC in the percentage.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Vic posted:

But that's exactly what the DX demo is, and 14 year old me played the poo poo out of it. I can't think of a better introduction to a game too. The terrorist leader in the Statue of Liberty which you see at all times. The NSF are spaced out far enough you can just shoot everyone in the head without a supressor. It's the perfect playground and bouncing off it means bouncing off the game's mechanics.

Not just that, but my brother and I were amazed back in the day with the DX demo, that when you went to UNATCO HQ after Liberty Island for debriefing that it was just a big level with no combat where you just explored and talked to people etc. We figured that shortly after you set foot in UNATCO HQ that it'd immediately get overrun with NSF and you'd have to fight your way out just because that was our expectation of what a level in an FPS or action game would always do. Not that we hadn't played plenty of top-down RPGs with friendly towns and such but it was unheard of to us to see in an FPS. Maybe even more than Liberty Island, it might have been our indication that Deus Ex was something different than a typical FPS.
I guess you do eventually fight it out of UNATCO as a combat based level, but there's still plenty of locations in the game where you never do.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I also blew up an old PSU running the new video card I bought specifically for MD so maybe my comp is just an MJ12 sympathizer.

Killswitch working as intended.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Plus if you are punching everyone from the shadows, you won't have any need for many of the combat related augs and will end up with a lot of unused praxis points. That was my experience with those two games anyway.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Grimthwacker posted:

Does Mankind Divided give you the warning that you can't go back to an area when you're entering a new one? And that all side missions will be cancelled? I just got done with the first visit to TF29.

Don't remember but there's only one city hub in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
On an unrelated note, I was thinking has any other game sequel pulled the "actually, ALL the endings happened" like DX2?