Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Something to add to the OP: if you're having weird speed issues where the game seems to run slightly fast or slightly slow for a few seconds at a time, download this and then replace DeusEx.exe and DeusEx.int with the given files. Works like a charm for my laptop.

Edit: More info about the fix here

404notfound fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Peepers posted:

Oh also, as soon as you leave the starting dock, in the stack of crates on the left, one of them has a funny texture. You can destroy it with a C4 crate to find a medbot inside for unlimited healing.

Been playing through this game for years and I never knew this.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Voodoo Cafe posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dream517?blend=2&ob=4#p/a/u/1/0bTy2gvJdeE
Just found out that the kid that plays guitar in this video is the voice of JC/Paul. what a shame

At the bottom is a comment supposedly from JC himself. I googled the username, and after following two or three links it turns out that JC is quite the gamer.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

AXE COP posted:

Where's that comment? I don't see it anywhere.

I wish I had Live so I could add JC as a friend.

Oops, I actually found it through a different (but related) video and not the one linked. Anyway I didn't mean to be all internet stalker-y, but I just thought it was kinda cool. I wonder if he'll play DX3 when it comes out.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Cray posted:

...who also made Anachronox.

You used Anachronox as an example when Tom Hall has worked on such titles as Commander Keen (a milestone in PC platforming) and Doom?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sam. posted:

The fight with Gunther was the only time I used a fire extinguisher. But speaking of pepper spray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqYCsMpxbJ0

Mind blown.

Holy gently caress. Holy gently caress.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Post poste posted:

Hey, I had my legs blown off by seeing just how explosive TNT crates were. :colbert:

That's how I and most of my friends did it too. Or rather, I chucked a TNT crate not realizing how far JC could throw it, and it landed close enough that it blew my legs clean off.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The crossbow is also your pistol if you're going for a non-lethal run. Although it's kinda silly, since aside from some slight changes in dialogue, there's no gameplay difference between shooting dudes with a pistol and beating them with a crowbar versus shooting dudes with crossbow tranq darts and zapping them with a riot prod.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of the beginning weapon choices, the most important reason you should take the GEP gun is because it's the one weapon you can't find in that first level. There are a couple thugs with the crossbow, and one NSF soldier with the sniper rifle, but the GEP gun won't show up for one or two more levels, I believe. The only real reason you wouldn't take it is if you don't plan to use it at all during the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Angry Diplomat posted:

That whole sequence is prone to really strange bugs.

On more than one playthrough, I've actually had the problem where Paul doesn't spawn in there at all, so I just come to a room with an empty chair and no way to proceed. It's gotten so that I start making a ton of saves as soon as I get into Hell's Kitchen, so I can minimize the amount that I have to backtrack if I run into the bug again.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

If it can stop a laser, who the gently caress knows what it can do to even a masked assailant.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of sudden realizations, I just discovered that pointing a gun with the laser sight at a mirror will actually reflect the dot onto the appropriate surface :aaaaa:

The laser doesn't seem to help at all though. Half the time when I'm going for a stealthy kill with the stealth pistol and use the laser, I either miss or get a non-headshot, even if I let the sights settle.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Spaz Medicine posted:

If you have a scope on the same gun, the laser sight will simply not work. You can bring up the dot, but the game ignores it.

Son of a bitch, is that what it was? Still learning new things about this game...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, but we only have one tone.

I wonder what a stereotypical American accent sounds like in Chinese pop culture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUi6UEQh00

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

DX1 talk, I finally got a smartphone so I went and figured out how to extract sounds from the game's files and then found the datalink noise, which I'm now using as my notification sound.

I got really confused when it went off while I was playing HR though

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Baggot posted:

Would you be so kind as to share this file? :D

Preferably as an MP3 or something that I can put on an iPhone.

Sure thing, I'm at work right now but I'll find the file when I get back home and put it up somewhere.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Furret Basket posted:

Aren't all the ones I mentioned just straight-up graphics updates?

Not sure about the rest, but Twin Snakes had quite a few game mechanic changes: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_The_Twin_Snakes#Differences

The one I distinctly remember is first-person view so you can shoot out cameras, but it looks like there were actually a ton of things that went into the remake to make it play better.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

harrygomm posted:

I'm not really one to comment on the rest, but really? HR auto-sorts all of your items for you automatically. There is no tetris, there is diablo style pick-up-poo poo-until-you-can't. Did you mean something like not having the full inv unlocked from the start? Or are you meaning more 'I want to have all the weapons in my inventory and its hard to pick stuff up when I do that."

Also everything is rotatable and rectangle-shaped, so unless the only thing you're carrying is huge weapons like the rocket launcher and sniper rifle, it's not so much inventory tetris as it is "how many slots do I have left?"

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Fren posted:

I sneaked my way into Castle Clinton, locked Anna out of the secret door to the NSF lair, and made my way back out to the docks. When she finally caught up to me, she told me I clearly wasn't afraid to kill, even though I have pretty obviously not failed my Non-Lethal challenge. I wonder if that is a glitch introduced by one of the mods I'm using, or if it's present in GOTY as well.

There's definitely some glitchiness when it comes to determining whether you've killed or not. Back when I was trying to do a non-lethal run, I do remember having to reload a couple times at that part of the game. I'm almost certain that it has something to do with all of the UNATCO vs. NSF fighting happening around the area (both Castle Clinton and the subway entrance).

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is it possible to do Castle Clinton without using lockpicks or multitools? As far as I can tell, the only ways in are to either pick the box to access panel next to the vending machine by the start, pick the chest inside the kiosk to get the password data cube, or multitool the panel to open the door directly.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

chiasaur11 posted:

Can't you bribe the kid for a password?

Segmentation Fault posted:

IIRC you can give the kid inside Castle Clinton a candy bar and he'll tell you the panel code.

He gives you the password for the panel, but the panel itself is inside a locked box.

I looked up how a guy doing a "no items" run did it, and he just used one of the TNT boxes in the subway to blow open the chest with the data cube with the password to open the door. I was hoping to do a run without any tools or hacking, but literally every other guide I read said to just pick/multitool my way in, so I guess this'll have to do.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

In case anybody was wondering, you can get Steam to recognize GMDX as Deus Ex and log playtime appropriately if you overwrite System/DeusEx.exe with the GMDX.exe and put the "Play GMDX" launch params into the Steam launch params for Deus Ex.

I really feel like this is the mod that should have gotten a Steam release, instead of Revision. I didn't realize how much I appreciated the original map designs until I played Revision and it threw me for a loop. GMDX changes just enough to make the maps feel like more actual lived-in locations, but without going so far as to completely change the layouts.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gyshall posted:

Alternatively, copy the GMDX start menu shortcut arguments into the steam Deus Ex launch arguments.

I tried that at first, but it didn't really work. The resolution was all messed up and the menus still looked like the default, instead of using that weird font in GMDX. I needed the launcher executable to make it work properly.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Huh, I don't know if it was GMDX's fault or what, but when I got taken prisoner at MJ12 and made it to the armory, my GEP gun was nowhere to be found. Can you lose stuff if you had too many items going in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hoo boy. I don't disagree with his take on the current sociopolitical climate, but he really goes off the rails for a few minutes about it in a video that on its surface is supposed to be a retrospective on a pulpy 2000 sci-fi video game. Or does he do this in all his videos?