Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
This new series of PPG is pretty bad on a lot of levels. The visuals are pretty boring for a show that used to be about using graphic line and iconic style with dynamic compositions that made use of the limited detail, whereas this one feels like a weird synthesis of that and a show like Clarence. Additionally, when they try to break the character designs to give them new expressions, it ends up looking really awkward and weird instead of funny. The background characters also feel like they are from an entirely different show, some of which look like rejects from a Teletoon Family Guy ripoff.

The voice acting seems kinda off as well, where the actresses don't really push their performances enough. The new team is pretty young and rookie in VO, right? It might be a relative lack of experience. Bubbles' characterization in particular really lacks the sweet naďveté that makes her explosions of anger funny.

Then there's the fact that some of the dialogue sounds like a Hillary Clinton staffer was asked what they think kids these days sound like. This is pretty painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I'm OK with reboots usually (and I love Teen Titans Go) but why spend money on a middling retread when you could be putting out more great new material like We Bare Bears or Steven Universe?

They have been spending money on those, though. They've been renewed for other seasons. PPG isn't taking money away from those projects, if anything it's taking money from other potential pilots being made into series.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The 00s was a time of a lot of really weird failed experiments that people either forgot or actively tried to forget existed (My Gym Partner's Monkey, Class of 3000, Squirrel Boy), many of which were trying really hard to be the next Spongebob, but somehow thinking that the best way to imitate it was to make everything as shrill and loud as possible at all times.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

PicklePants posted:

You're right. I should have known that, it's just easier (and lazier) to label the flat, non-shaded, non-hand drawn stuff as, "Flash."

Looking at the ToonBoom site, it's amazing the wide variety of stuff they have on there, most of the difference seems to be how much they let the program do for them, and how much they still draw in. Even then, it's not the program's fault, but those doing the production as to what they do and how much they can do with the budgets and time they have.

Honestly the main difference is whether or not it has the look of vector, and if they're using symbols/puppets to animate most of it. In the hands of a production designer interested in making it not look like that, it's completely possible to use any software to achieve a good-looking product.

Ping-pong: The Animation was done in Flash, but it uses none of the same production methods as a lot of what people associate with the style of Flash/ToonBoom programs.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

the word you're looking for is 'twee'

If only being obnoxiously twee was the only sin of Bee and Puppycat. If only.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I must be weird since I didn't even like the pilot of Bee and Puppycat. Even then it felt like someone took GIR from Invader Zim and filtered it through the more twee elements of Adventure Time to make the protagonist, then doubled down on trying to be melodramatic in the 2nd part with ~fairytale tragedy backstory~ but without having gone through enough development to get anybody to care whether or not the characters succeed or fail.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It'd be nice if internet VO people could at least have recording situations where their audio is of remotely similar quality. I mean, yeah there's a lot more wrong with this, but that kind of thing consistently bugs me.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Apple and Onion had much better timing and made me laugh more consistently, plus the cast is drat good. The first one has a lot of the Regular Show hallmarks, though (random 80s aesthetics, inconsistent universe of species, etc.), which made it feel a little bit derivative. Plus, I don't really see the main character from Bottom's Butte being someone I feel like watching for a long time. Apart from being dumb/wacky as her primary characteristics, there's no real core to the character that makes you want to root for her in any way.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Why does Apple and Onion look like it was animated in GoAnimate? Also how long until we stop getting Regular Show knock-offs? Wasn't really into the two slacker friends yuck it up and also the 80's.

As soon as people stop trying to mine the aesthetics of 1980s as a source of jokes because they think being ironically fascinated with it is still novel.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

axleblaze posted:

This week's Gumball was pretty much like 25% Last of Us references.

I was wondering if that was a Last of Us reference, holy poo poo Gumball.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ramos posted:

Wait, Teen Titan Go has lessons? All I can remember from it is that Beast Boy has a fetish for girls licking his underwear.

If anything, someone who works on the show probably has a fetish for legs.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Lady Legasus was sure something.

Which time? They've done that maybe 3-4 times now. I get the gag but it's pretty close to "hey that webcomic artist is shoehorning the plot into some really oddly-specific things and oh god I just found their private art account christ" territory at times.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Loud House has been advertised really heavily, to the point where I've seen ads for it while watching Cartoon Network. I think they decided to not do to it what they did to Korra and Harvey Beaks.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I compare it to the kids in the background of a cereal box, but that works too.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I liked that they actually got a Japanese studio to do the fighting segments than trying to do a lovely facsimile of the style like most shows do that are based on conceptions of it that are more than two decades out of date (a la Futurama's parody). It's not top-of-the-line animation but it's reflective of the standard for contemporary TV anime, which kids watching online would more easily recognize stylistically.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

raditts posted:

And don't forget Total Drama ________ which has somehow had like a dozen iterations and may still be running today despite being like a shittier Laffalympics.

To be fair, we can blame Canada for that. Toonboom Land will never let that poo poo die.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's almost like there's bad cartoons and good cartoons airing at any given time.

It's all about the ratio of good versus poo poo. As long as CN remains above contemporary Nickelodeon levels, they'll probably be fine.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Danny Phantom was really good, but I think it really suffered from having Hartman's art style. It just doesn't lend itself to action.

They hired Stephen Silver to do the character designs, completely wasting his time by just making him draw in Hartman's style.

Plus it was really bad at action sequences because the design and directorial style is more suitable to a Flintstones sitcom style.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

LoSH got turbofucked by the SuperBoy embargo at the time, so they called a gangly teen looking Kal-El SuperMan and just said he was like Year 0.75 SuperMan!

Then it was decided the lighthearted TeenTitanish characters and their relationships were not great for the SatAM demo, so the second season went TryHard Gritmaster with Lightning Lad losing an Arm, Triplicate Girl losing one of her doppels, a Superman from the future DNA spliced with Kryptonite (what) called Superman X, and a desire to poo poo on the team all day every day in a weird Battlestar Galactica-like underdog story.

Which is really unfortunate. The first season was a good, light version of kid's Justice League.

So they basically recreated the history of the US comics industry into the period of 2-3 years, then?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Isn't 3D supposed to be cheaper than 2D these days though? That was one of the reasons for the switch, I thought.

And then once you have the 3D models already made, it's just a matter of wiggling them around in new ways. After the initial investment it's cheaper.

CG has a weird shelf-life and can look dated really quickly, and also requires a lot of engineering in order to achieve current baseline expectations of quality. In order for it to not look like hot garbage and fit within the demanding production schedule TV requires, it makes sense that 2D is still pretty popular for this kind of production, albeit a more puppet-based 2D than traditional.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I still argue that if they did a Parks and Rec style office comedy with Zootopia, it'd be oddly fitting.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

I got a spot at that new Butch Hartman cartoon Bunsen is a Beast and I know it's a show aimed at children but the humour was so bad that I don't even children would be entertained by it. Many jokes are overexplained (if they only require one line they get three or four) and the main antagonist has a very annoying spitty voice.

Meanwhile I'm slowly binging through Danny Phantom and I like this show but I don't know if it's better with Hartman's style of storytelling. It's not a bland show but it's not as stylistically interesting as it could be and I think that's because Hartman's involvement.

I think I mentioned it way back, but IIRC they hired Stephen Silver to do designs and then decided "gently caress it, just do it all in Butch's formula". It was the completely wrong style both artistically and cinematographically for a show that wanted to attempt action/adventure.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

JRPG episode? Gonna have to check that one out, what's the title?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

CN is really trying to push the new Ben10 but it fails so terribly at being either action nor comedy. The production values feel similar to the new PPG as well, even including subpar VO direction. Every attempt at a joke is strangled in the crib.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress, I just realized something that's been bugging me about the Ben 10 reboot. Aside from the Omnitrix, there have been 0 other aliens in the show so far. All the villains have been either human or earthly monsters.

This version prettymuch does away with the entire plot/premise of Ben 10 and is trying to go for a TTG thing but is really bad at the whole actually being funny part. Most of the attempted jokes are smothered horribly by bad pacing and delivery.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

That or Nick's investigation will be influenced by Nick's desire to not have one of their few new successful shows to get tarnished by this kind of scandal. Just because "there's an investigation being done by the company" about this doesn't mean that it's being done in good faith or will ever rock the boat enough to take down the powerful. Just look at the Weinstein and Cosby cases and you can see how these investigations by authorities can be used to protect the abusers rather than the victims. So maybe CB leaking it puts public pressure that would otherwise be absent.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 19, 2017

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

If you frame it as “he’s santa’s helper who helps make christmas fun” than “he’s santa’s informant, welcome to the panopticon”, it’s less horrifying.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Disney saw the new Space Jam and thought "let's get in on that", and they already had the "let's get the gang back together but it turns out one of us is actually evil now so we won't appear in the trailer" scripts in the pile they could switch the names around for, sure.
Dale getting 'cg-surgery' is weird because they're all CG characters already in this, but I'm guessing that's gonna be the plot point for gadget. There's no way disney would spend money on getting that kind of detail right.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

J2DK posted:

At least the meta approach here looks less like an excuse to be dumb and low effort like it seemed to be with Space Jam 2.

it kinda looks like poo poo tho
they aren't fooling me with chip's model

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, outside of the beginning there was a distinct lack of Gadget in that trailer so I wonder what that’s about

Also they better bust out the theme song at least once during this movie

they are going to make her the secret girlboss villain, probably given a disguise through that CG-surgery or whatever plot point, and she probably looks like a regular person until the reveal or whatever the gently caress

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Everyone is remaking Food Fight and we're just going to have to live with that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Disney's leadership has outrightly stated that they will let the "inspiring content" be their corporate message/response, essentially reducing any and all of the good work being done into a cynical tokenization gimmick for the company to use as a shield for funding right-wing politicians and all that jazz.

I genuinely feel sorry for the artists even more than usual because it's a catch-22: fight like hell to get the company to let you put in basic representation only for it to be weaponized, or don't make anything at all because guess who owns all the means of production, publication, and even just monetization lately.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I get the feeling MaoMao probably was easier for CN to let go of since it wasn't technically one of their in-house shows.

As for Disney… well this isn't that unusual given the way things also went for Gravity Falls, either. Though IIRC that was also because production on that one was particularly difficult and faced deadline difficulties behind the scenes. I can't say the same for the others since I've since dropped out of following that stuff too closely.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

My one problem with Jellystone is that they do a lot of digital puppet/squash and stretch for character designs that are literally designed to be easily-drawn and animated goofily.
But I'm just not going to escape that in N. American TV.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Larryb posted:

That said, Korra got away with some pretty dark poo poo at times

Hell, some recent Disney shows have gotten away with a fair bit (like a human character getting stabbed through the chest on screen in Amphibia)

oh poo poo so someone got Leomon'd in an american cartoon? drat

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Naruto makes me irrationally angry because it starts off as a meditation on how hard work and gumption can overcome bullshit ideas of family lineage and genetic superiority and then by the end makes Naruto ninja Jesus with deep spiritual and blood ties to the most important figures in the ninja world.

yeah that's actually quite a natural response to a huge thematic failure like that, particularly in this day and age with all the problems we face and all that jazz.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

You're just jealous that Naruto made it in the world with nothing but hard work and a loan of twenty million dollars from his parents.

Exactly, I for one love when my escapism reinforces the values that make my reality terrible.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, here's Disney's latest offering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSyxZkHtkj0

Disney's been on hot streak lately, I guess we were due for a dud.
is disney only capable of symbol animation now?
also the timing and line readings are really just... not good on like a fundamental level

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

definitely feel free to keep going with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

readingatwork posted:

but instead the writers went with a very tired and very broad cliche

I'm just quoting this here now because I get the feeling that this is going to be a theme in this cartoon that wants to replicate a bland newspaper comic as its ideal