Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thompsons posted:

Aw, they changed Darwin's voice :(

Speaking of other cartoons, did anyone have any opinions on the Redwall series Nelvana did in 1999? I thought it was a pretty good adaptation, and just had a bunch of "haha what the gently caress" moments like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C-rZpBxk-tc#t=899s

That show was one of the few reasons I watched PBS in the summer when I was a kid.

I remember all the rumors that there would be a supposed movie coming in 2010 or something. Of course, it never happened so the rumor started up again.

I really wish it wasn't a rumor. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

I know this thread usually trends towards cartoon discussion, but I saw this link about the first official gay couple to appear on a Disney Channel show, and figured it'd be relevant.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Disney-Channel-Same-Sex-Couple-1066972.aspx

Pretty interesting news. Are they the first of the Nick/Cartoon Network/Disney trifecta to have a gay couple appear in any capacity?

I think they are the first. My Gym Partner's A Monkey on Cartoon Network was rumored to have "gay tendencies" in season 1 from Jake, the money character, towards Adam, the human character. So, in season 2, it was changed so it wasn't perceived as such.

It was kind of weird though. Everyone constantly asked if Jake was gay and he WAS practically flirting with the human so (even going so far as to being jealous when Adam would go out on a date with a girl stating how he should always put him (Jake) first over a girl).

...That whole show was weird so this is kind of normal compared to the rest of the content. But, like I said, they toned it down considerably in a later season(s).

Disney's the first to actually admit they're lesbian and not hide it though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

pepperanne was pretty close. Sort of on multiple fronts.

Really? I haven't seen much of that show. How so?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

While we wait on that, I think I'll also suggest Mystery Inc. as another show that kind of danced around the idea of Velma being gay. It was really subtle, though -- what comes to mind is some blocking in the episode where Velma meets the siren, and her interactions with Marcy near / at the end of the series -- and I'm open to the possibility that I'm just crazy.

I'm pretty sure they hinted that Velma was bi and Marcy was a lesbian. Especially in that ending episode.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In both cases you can say 'well actually" where they show moose is really for real a girl and that Janie is married to a rarely appearing husband in certain episodes, but pepperannes aunt was a pretty much "hey we can't write this woman as a lesbian but she's a lesbian okay". And pepperanne's sister was drawn and voiced as a little boy and there was jokes about "ha ha isn't that funny, her gender is wrong!" but it was played fairly straight the majority of the time that it was perfectly fine that moose wanted to dress and act like a boy and have a boyish name.

Like 'officially' both were perfectly heterosexual ciswomen 100% and there is episodes they threw in to make for sure you knew that, but treated both things mostly as matter of fact, and only sometimes mixed in "haw haw queers" jokes about it, more often than not just letting it be.

The show sounds pretty interesting. I might check it out more. What I did see was pretty good.

What's a "ciswoman"?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

nah, don't watch it, it's so solidly crappy 90s disney cartoon, it's fairly unbareable. At best it's interesting the finale was set in the far distant future of 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkfZlAZiTXE

cisgender is the opposite of transgender, it makes certain people super angry that there exists a word for that.

...I wasn't even aware it was a word. I keep hearing it but no one explain it until now. :v: I guess we need names for everything...huh.

That ending alone sounds pretty interesting. I like things that are created in the past that try to guess at the future. I'll probably watch that ending episode. I see you've linked it so thanks!

Magnus Condomus posted:

Cis is the term for when your gender identity matches your birth sex.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

For more information on this topic, try here http://www.tumblr.com

Welp...that explains a lot actually.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beware the Batman is s pretty good show, anyone catch the first episode?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I did, thought it was alright, but I'm not really sold on Action Alfred the Combat Butler. I mean, I like Alfred, and I like that he has a military background, but turning him into Jason Statham is weird. Also, minor design quibble, but Alfred should always have a mustache in my mind and changing that is just one thing that bothers the gently caress outta me.

I didn't have near as much of a problem with the animation style as a lot of other people though. Thought it looked a hell of a lot better than GL: TAS if nothing else.

I like that Alfred is basically training Batman this time around. For me, I don't mind him getting into the action or even the no mustache thing (did he have one in the Nolan films?).

The next episode with Magpie looks really fun (Grey DeLisle sounds like she's having a ton of fun voicing her).

Speaking of Greg, her Wikipedia photo is hilarious. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_DeLisle

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

tmnt 2012 season 2 recently had some amazing concept art full of crazy spoilers and body horror, leaving me infuriated that nick still has not finished season 1 and has given no information on when they will.

Mind linking to this? My Googling isn't turning up anything but concept art for the first season. :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The latest episode of BtB was pretty amazing, at least. The fighting in this is actually pretty drat brutal...

The story is a lot better than the first episode and the voice acting was good too.

Though, I watched it after Ult. Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble so it's probably a LOT better to me than most people.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Also his Spider Buggy in the original comics. :v:

"Spidah-Man" is also the title of an Ult. Spider-Man episode where Spider-Man goes to Boston for a day and is their resident superhero as they don't have one.

What really bothers me about USM is that I thought Marvel would be able to handle their own character in a cartoon better than Sony could. Sadly, this is not the case at all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The thing said earlier about making Pyg an evil animal rights activist really pisses me off.

I don't know much about Pyg, what are the comics he's used in?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.change.org/petitions/cartoon-network-stop-marginalizing-female-viewers

According to Paul Dini, the execs were not happy with the size of the girl demo that was watching Young Justice which he claims aided in its demise :cripes:

It's pretty much worse than that.

Dini talked about this during a recent interview with Kevin Smith on his Fatman on Batman podcast and he kind of hinted that if CN even THINKS girls are watching their shows, they'll shut it down. He said that the execs have actually said that girls should not watch CN's cartoons.

The reason being that CN thinks that girls don't buy toys and aren't worth catering to as all of CN's shows apparently MUST sell toys or they're simply not worth showing.

This makes me worry about Steven Universe if they're going to pull poo poo like that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Flobbster posted:

On another note, I accidentally read comments on a FB post about the Hall of Game nominations and people were saying that they voted for Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Uncle Grandpa. No, you do not get to put that poo poo in the same list as the other two.

Actually, according to Dini, CN wants more shows like Uncle Grandpa because, to them, that's what makes Adventure Time and Regular Show so popular...the "wackiness".

Paul Dini on Fatman on Batman posted:

"But then, there’s been this weird—there’s been a, a sudden trend in animation, with super-heroes. Like, ‘it’s too old. It’s too old for our audience, and it has to be younger. It has to be funnier.' And that's when I watch the first couple of episodes of Teen Titans Go!, it's like those are the wacky moments in the Teen Titans cartoon, without any of the more serious moments. 'Let’s just do them all fighting over pizza, or running around crazy and everything, ’cause our audience—the audience we wanna go after, is not the Young Justice audience any more. We wanna go after little kids, who are into—boys who are into goofy humor, goofy random humor, like on Adventure Time or Regular Show. We wanna do that goofy, that sense of humor, that’s where we’re going for.’”

So, if anything, while the live-action part of CN might be gone, we'll be getting tons more shows like Uncle Grandpa.

I'm pretty sure CN really doesn't understand why people like Adventure Time or Regular Show.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

Johnny Test is definitely not the standard for CN. Sure, it suckage may count for a great deal. But there's Adventure Time, Regular Show, Amazing World of Gumball, Uncle Grandpa, and Stephen Universe. There's also Teen Titans Go!, which moves almost as fast as Johnny Test, but is a much, much better show. The new Loony Toons Show is really good too, when they want to air it. And while I'm on a ramble, find a way to watch the two-season Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc., it's amazing.

So... I guess my point is, if you can wade through all the cheap programming like Johnny Test and whatever Lego series is on, you can find some pretty good stuff.

Actually, according to Paul Dini from Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast, this is exactly what CN wants and will be the standard soon.

They like the "wackiness" of Regular Show and Adventure Time and they're dead set on believing that that is the ONLY reason those shows are so popular. So, we have Johnny Test (which was around back on the old Kids WB block on The CW), Uncle Grandpa, and Teen Titans GO! (no matter if you like TTG or not, this is why it exists :v:). Expect more.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'm still convinced Johnny Test is a cruel practical joke Canada's been playing on us for years just to repay the US for years of jokes in media concerning Canadians.

Well Johnny Test is an old import that's been on for a while now. This trend toward "wackiness" tend to be all new originals. If "wackier" means I get more shows like TTG, Adventure Time, and Regular Show, bring on the loving wacky, I say.

As long as no girls watch the show, it might stand a chance on CN's lineup. :v:

Still can't believe they haven't gotten much flack for that but ah well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That was all secondhand via Paul Dini venting about his failed superhero show so, yeah.

Considering the only other alternative is the fan-made conclusion with "Green Lantern's movie was bad and so were the toys, but then the toys for YJ were also bad, so I bet that's why it was cancelled", I'd say Paul Dini's rant is the only "official" thing we'll actually get as CN simply cancelled it and the GL cartoon without word as to why. They also seem to be doing the same with Beware the Batman.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the exact reason why. Not just toy sales but CN's higher ups being idiots about their own shows and why they're popular. With them cancelling yet another show in the same style (and treating Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated like crap as well, though it wasn't ended...just put on hiatus without telling anyone why), I'm not doubting a word Dini says.

Seriously though, SD:MI had people on Tumblr constantly messaging the official SD:MI Tumblr page until they had to say they didn't know what CN was doing...they had all of the episodes, they just didn't air them for whatever reason. Most people ended up watching on YouTube since the episodes ended up airing in other countries long before the US ever saw them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Drawn Together movie was the worst thing I have ever had the misfortune of seeing. Worse than anything from Canadian cartoons.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe DC Nation can come back proper! :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

poo poo. Wrong thread. Have too many tabs open. :( Apologies!

Though, I do want to add that I remember the Ripping Friends...and I always wondered how it made it on Kids WB...

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 30, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

don Jaime posted:

It didn't, Ripping Friends was on Fox Box.

Oh yeah.

Still, was surprised it made it up there.

I also didn't like it too much so that's probably another reason why I thought that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

My favorite game to play with the CN line up is trying to remember the shows that got canceled or never rerun. Where are you, terrible batman blocky cgi show?

Episodes 12 and 13 are on the DVD that came out in February of this year.

Episodes 14, 15, 16, and 17 have recently came out in New Zealand. The last episode was shown March 22nd.

Basically, Cartoon Network gives no shits about the show or anything that's not Teen Titans GO! at this point (because merchandising, I guess).

So...yep. :v:

Episode 17 was written by Greg Weisman...I want to see it. :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

His powers to cancel shows are becoming alarmingly stronger.

Naah. I don't think it's his fault. Spectacular Spider-Man was canceled because Sony chose the cinematic rights over the animated series ones. According to him, Marvel does kind of want to continue SSM, but Disney would never let that happen because they're rivals with Sony and Marvel would have to pay Sony for the rights to SSM.

As for Batman, it's just your typical CN cancelling what doesn't make them enough toy money, no matter how good, bad, or interesting the show might be. :v:

As for Young Justice, according to Paul Dini, CN canceled that because too many girls were watching the show and the toys weren't selling thanks to the horrible Green Lantern movie and the toys just being too expensive and horribly made.

...Actually, listing it out, maybe his power is he's a bad omen for cartoons.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Josh Keaton posted this up on his FB about animation focus groups and why they're terrible.

http://io9.com/green-lantern-producers-comic-explains-why-animation-fo-1563036007

It's a comic by GL:TAS producer Giancarlo Volpe.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

raditts posted:

Mystery Incorporated is like some kind of hub universe that contains the entire H-B canon. Given enough episodes I'm sure we would have seen cameos from Top Cat, Hong Kong Phooey, and the family from Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home.

Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home was awesome. I used to watch it all the time as a kid.

Anyway, 52 episodes was always meant to be it. CN didn't cancel it early, they just hosed with the scheduling really, REALLY bad. So bad that CNs in other countries had already finished the entire last season before CN US even had advertisements for it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think I'm the only person in existence that actually liked Scrappy. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is someone being S&M whipped in the background while they're recording for the show or something? Is the recording studio in a sex dungeon?

What the gently caress is with the whip noises every goddamn second? At first, I thought it was to match up with arm movement and to convey how fast they're jerking their arms to show anger.

Then I realized that's too deep for this show and it's actually pretty much every second.

What the gently caress is this?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Do people in Canada actually like this horrible show?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I never got into Samurai Jack, what all did CN do to it? Is that why Genndy left?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

So the Amazing World of Gumball is back, and it's just as surreal and amazing as always.

They covered up for the fact that the voice actor for Gumball is going through puberty in the craziest way.

That's not the same voice actor as Season 1 and 2. They switched to Jacob Hopkins from Logan Grove.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently CN is pondering if they should bring Courage the Cowardly Dog back and are looking for feedback on their site.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/cartoon-network-cartoon-forum/315136-new-courage-cowardly-dog-project-works-2.html#post4258078

https://www.facebook.com/StretchFilms

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/feedback/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Remember Danger Mouse? Of course you do.

He's also coming back to TV with a brand new series.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/danger-mouse/30949/danger-mouse-returning-to-television
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27876300
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/17/danger-mouse-cbbc-revival_n_5501905.html

So let's see...Courage the Cowardly Dog (maybe), Magic School Bus, Sailor Moon, PPG, and now Danger Mouse... am I missing anyone?

Things look pretty decent for cartoons.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://play.google.com/store/tv/show?id=Yn96dGPM5Dg&cdid=tvseason-b1-QxNH5O44&gdid=tvepisode-2MqcfC9Bfh4

I don't know if it's unaired, but the pilot for Clarence is up on Google Play for free. If you don't have an Android device but you DO have a Gmail account (which is your Google Account), you can still get the episode.

You will still have to put in your credit card, but you are not charged at all. Not even a $0.01 credit. It's pretty much the same as Apple's policy for free stuff if I'm not mistaken.

It also might be up on iTunes.

If you do get the episode via Google Play, you can watch it on YouTube as it's added to your account permanently and is accessible there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

Ahaha the behind the scenes short with Gumball is great. Sussy is played by the creator's girlfriend.

Where was this short aired?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rudoku posted:

They randomly play it after a show ends.

Oh. I found some shorts on YouTube, would it be up there?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm pretty sure that, while they were open to continue doing more, they worked knowing full-well that 52 episodes might be all they'd get, so they wrote the show to wrap up at that, while leaving it open if by chance they get more episodes ordered. 52 episodes is pretty good at this time and age.

They confirmed on the official SD:MI Tumblr that CN didn't cancel it, they just aired it in really lovely ways and it was always meant to be 52 episodes total.

It was so bad that they had to mention to people that CN actually had just about all of Season 2's episodes but didn't even air them for god knows what reason.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

TTG has an episode that ends with Robin dying. There's no moral or copping out, he just dies (Of old age, but still.) That's quality kid's entertainment.

Cuuuuuuursssssse...

This episode got me into TTG!, honestly.

The loving Super Robin robin stole every scene it was in and won me over.

Please tell me it's randomly in other episodes too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Terry also killed a guy in one of the earlier episodes, as I recall.

Grittier indeed.

What? Which episode was this?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Also one of my favorite things about Batman Beyond is that it led to that parody episode of Kim Possible with Adam West.

The ferret superhero one? Batman Beyond inspired THAT?

Y-Hat posted:

There's a podcast about cartoons that has new episodes every Tuesday- both cartoons for kids and for adults. Their one last week was for Phineas and Ferb, and they said that the show is on an "indefinite hiatus." Is Disney planning on killing it?

What podcast is this?

Also, I don't know if it's on hiatus or not because Nick Frost posted on his Facebook that he and Simon Pegg would return as Shaun and Ed from Shaun of the Dead for a Halloween special for Phineas and Ferb.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Dude has some weird Twitter meltdowns every now and then. :gonk:

I've never been to his Twitter before so I went to see what you were talking about.

I kind of wish I didn't. Now I'm really loving uncomfortable. Jesus...

I mean, I know of his albums and his Weirdo comedy special so I know he's not JUST like his Community character or whatever but his Twitter just unsettling in a weird way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

Weird, I saw that Superrabbit episode ages ago. It must have gotten leaked or something.

I saw it too months ago. I think it was just aired in another country first.

What's with that anyway? TMNT, SD:MI, and USM have all aired outside of the US long before the US actually got them....weird.