Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mobo85 posted:

Yeah. Cartoon Brew was sent an e-mail clearly hoping that this would be another My Little Pony, opening with something to the effect of "What's the Care Bear equivalent of a brony? Care Dude? Belly Bro?" The piece quickly spread, and it got so much attention that the Hub themselves sent them a piece basically saying "we didn't authorize this, and we're not trying to compare Care Bears to MLP and/or Bronies." Though one wonders if they weren't hoping lightning didn't strike twice- once something becomes a hit accidentally, marketers are always trying to duplicate it, and Care Bears has a lot in common on the surface with MLP (both '80s girl-oriented properties with characters with symbols which identify their personality traits).
Honestly, best it can do is learn the lessons MLP has taught in regards to World Building, not thinking children as idiots (by child standards), etc and, with any luck, the rest- be that better retention by it's target demo or expansion beyond it- will follow.

Speaking of which, I'm kinda impressed The Hub didn't have a whole to-do about the over the place demographics, you'd think they'd talk more about it from a ratings POV. Cartoon Network seems to have kittens whenever someone who's not exactly in the target demo for a show watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm in as long as that means that "Things Change" isn't stuck as the last episode of Teen Titans. That's an awful way to end things.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Motercity premiered in the uk.

At 7am...

Shows how much faith they have in that venture.

I give it and Tron a month before they're cancelled in favour of more dramedy bullshit.

Shame, can totally see where this can be good.

Edit: good lord, what on earth were they doing with the video on that pokemon episode on
My recording?!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 7, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

thelaughingman posted:

(Derrick J. Wyatt) is working on the Ben 10 Omniverse. he was responsible for the character designs on Teen Titans and TFA.

Oh hey, another Ben 10 series, like THAT hasn't outstayed it's welcome and it's using the TF:A animation style. That's just fantastic. If I what I want to be reminded of one thing, is how I'm not getting a season four of that show.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sockser posted:

To be fair, from the video, it looks like it's more in line with the original Ben 10 series which was pretty good. Focusing on Ben as a super hero rather than like, Kevin-Gwen-Ben drama~~

That doesn't solve the root problem. That it's more Ben 10.

There's cheating the Three Season rule and then there's just being obnoxious.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Robotnik DDS posted:

Every time a show I like on Cartoon Network is cancelled I blame Ben 10 for still existing even though it's probably not true

I dunno, it's not as if Turner is giving you much room to argue otherwise. Ben 10 is thier Spongebob and at this point I don't know what one is worse.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

Problem Solverz was awful. I have no idea why people keep saying it's secretly good.

Because if they said it was actually good, they'd (rightfuly) get slapped upside the head.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Magnus Condomus posted:

So how do y'all feel about this Dragons, Riders Of Berk business? I want to have high hopes, but the track record for cgi cartoons based on movies isn't that great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5dvv4GGcNA

http://blog.cartoonnetwork.com/2012/07/16/dragons-takes-flight-at-san-diego-comic-con-2012/

All I can think of with a title like that is Trap Door.

BERK, FEED ME!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Speaking of which, is there some reason CN seems to redesign and relaunch a new Ben 10 like every year now? I know a lot of networks have episode limits on series, is that the case here? It just seems so odd. I remember watching and liking the original, but every time I've seen one of the other incarnations, they've always seemed kinda dumb.

Mad Merch cash?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

The Young Justice thread is blowing up with news about how, after only two episodes aired after a 3-month hiatus, the DC Nation block is getting bumped back to January. Generator Rex and the previous Ben 10 serie's finales were real under-the-radar, and I haven't seen much promotion of the new Clone Wars season. Do Cartoon Network's axion shows get good ratings? It seems like Adventure Time and Regular Show are the only things it really knows what it's doing with.

Yeah, like this is a new thing. Samurai Jack springs to mind.

Seriously, the only reason Williams Street is allowed to get away with bringing toonami back is because they were smart enough to milk Twitter for all it's worth.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Welp, No more Motercity after ep 13 for us.

Can't honestly think why, between the show never being on and what not.

Disney can be real fuckers at the best of times.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ok, what's this I hear about Elmo's puppeteer apparently having a sexual relationship with a teenage boy?!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It is a loud obnoxious fuckbeast of a cartoon.

What do you think Disney would do with it?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Srice posted:

I imagine it's gonna get at least one more season because they talked about how it shares the same continuity as the upcoming new Avengers series.

Oh good. We get spider-man acting as a colossal jackass who thinks in family guy cuts for a crossover opportunity instead of more (amongst other things) Sora (Digimon)-voiced Wasp

This new avengers cartoon sounds better every day.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I was bemoaning the fact that instead of the awesome thing, we now have to look forward to a crossover with slightly crooked versions of the EMH cast alongside Spider-Jackass.

And Yikes does that Shezow show sound like a disaster just looking for a place to happen.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 14, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Magnus Condomus posted:

Welp, they did exactly what I really didn't want them to in the second half of the Omniverse two parter. Ben and Rook's fight was a setup for Ben to get captured so that they could get at Khybar.

At least Rook actually voiced valid concerns about Ben being an rear end in a top hat who keeps needing rescuing, but at the end of the episode no actual lessons where learned. Dear Ben, you are 17 years old now. Why are you still acting like you're 10?
Because that's probably what some yahoo at Bandai USA thinks teenagers act and as such has made it his mission to enforce such writing instead of making a master grade MMPR Megazord a thing thus making gunpla marketable again?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I kinda wish they'd sort out their international distro plan out first. This looks like a whole lot of Avatar'esc money that they are missing out on.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes, but this is the same company that has a potential hit on their hands and then goes "Nah, we're good with like 10 episodes until godknowswhen 2013".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And yet they have BOTH made screwing people around something of an art form.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just a quick word: the aquabats show is going to start on CITV in the uk on the 6th.

So watch it before they replace it with even more Fleabag Monkeyface.

Yes that is a real cartoon and it is the worst cartoon to have ever been shown on tv over here.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 29, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm truly sorry for what our country has produced.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

IRQ posted:

Dear god, Canada, I thought you had hit bottom with Johnny Test, but here we are.

It's an entirely English joint.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just realised, with Episode 2 of Aquabats airing on CITV, Mega64 have finally been aired in some form or another in the UK about 8 or so years after Sky screwed them around.

Just something to chew on.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

Speaking of Digimon, that DVD set they released a while back is really good. Not much in the way of extras (why is the Japanese theme music lyrics an extra?) but the video quality is nice and the show still kind of holds up, although the dub dialogue has a fair share of ridiculous lines.

To be fair, they toned them way down when it mattered. Sure they were still there (The Ultimate Evil comes with both Hot and Cold watter, don't you know?) but it wasn't a groansome as when Etemon was a thing.

Only show I know of that didn't make an utter hash of adoption as a plot line.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Are the big wigs responsible for this and the CN Real thing still working for CN? I feel like that they should be promoted to head of the Antarctica Programing.

Knowing how these things work, they probably run CN at this point.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There will be a day when "gently caress you, got mine" doesn't work as an excuse and it will be freaking glorious.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Honey Boo Boo is a lot more popular than 95% of the shows discussed in this topic.
Sturgeon's Law, 90% of viewers are idiots.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ariza posted:

Nevermind, you're obviously 13.
I'm sorry, what part of correctly identifying the majority of the audience of honey boo boo makes me 13?

FrostedButts posted:

If they can just gather enough content to shed the 4Kids leftovers, I just may start watching it regularly.
Given it's Saban who are behind Vortex I wouldn't bet too highly on them jettisoning the 4kids stuff any time soon.

Heck, the original Yu-Gi-Oh, (that was dubbed by 4Kids) was due to start on Nicktoons a couple of days ago.

Not a bad thing, mind. 4kids didn't exclusively produce swill. They did do alot but I think the house Digimon dubbed knows what to pick out of the roster.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 21, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't Arthur also have a swear word episode?

Yes it did. Even had a sopranos parody being filmed in its cold open to contextualize the beeping.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Andrew_1985 posted:

So now we've lost Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated, Tron Uprising and Young Justice. I'm going to miss Young Justice and Tron Uprising most of all.

At least Gravity Falls is still around... right?
Yeah but it's not like Disney have any urgency to air more when Ultimate Spiderman is their best show by mere default.

Seriously, that getting more airtime than Gravity Falls just gets right up my nose.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr Tran posted:

Not mentioned is that Alfred shoots guns.

I thought that got nix'd after the Cinema Shooting.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, say what you will of DiC's..."interpenetration"...of the events of Sailor Moon, it could have been much, much worse.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

McSpanky posted:

I really loved what He-Man '02 did with the legacies of past heroes and villains of Eternia over the course of the series, gave the whole thing the feel of this vast space epic and the He-Man/Skeletor conflict was just the latest chapter of it.

The thing with Man-at-arms, the sorcerers and Teela blew my mind given the source material.

That and Skeletor was an actual effectual bad guy and that was good to see.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I watched Ultimate Spider-man (The Black Costume episode) because there really wasn't much to do at 8.30am on a saturday morning and I'm convinced if they just did not do the cut always it'd be a serviceable cartoon.

A lot of it is explaining the jokes they just made and it's a waste of resources and it's headache inducing. You don't need a cutaway showing Galactus Blowing Spider-man up to explain why him saying "Hand up to Galactus" when he's swearing he's being truthful about who's wearing the venom costume funny, you really don't.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Magnus Condomus posted:

So I saw the trailer for the new Teen Titans thing, and it looks like utter trash. Stylistically it's a mashup of the original Teen Titan designs and Power Puff Girls. The writing and humor looks and sounds pretty terrible. It's like they hired all the bad writers from Ben 10 Ultimate Alien and confined them in a room together. (Which might explain why Omniverse is so much better.)
Yeah. I get they're hurting for content given they've murdered the two golden geese but this comes off as excessively pointless.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Huh, Discoteck are going to give Monster Rancher the Samurai Pizza Cat treatment (English dub released over 3 box sets, entire series out in Japanese in one superbox)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I guess between that and that pony side project they're trying to get as much stupid out of their system as humanely possible before they pull an MTV or, heaven forbid, CN Real by accident.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

KKoserYaks posted:

This was the typical formula for most Nickelodeon shows in the 90s and still is to this very day.

That said when those sort win, God, is it glorious (the squidward band episode springs to mind).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

The bad thing is, the UK Netflix DOES have Ducktales already. Dunno if the others were put up there, but I saw people point that out in the Netflix thread.
It does? It's not showing up on the android app...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Nobody else will probably even care about this, but they've officially announced that Season 2 of The Mysterious Cities of Gold will have an English language release. I've been watching the French episodes with subtitles and it's really good so far. We're only 14 episodes in though.

https://vimeo.com/68709614
That's cool. Now, if it gets wakfu out that'd be awesome.