Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

Jellystone is okay, but I guess I'm still a little confused at what the point was in trying to bring back the Hannah Barbera classic characters if they have so little connection to their previous incarnations.

Top Cat is basically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

readingatwork posted:

Naruto makes me irrationally angry because it starts off as a meditation on how hard work and gumption can overcome bullshit ideas of family lineage and genetic superiority and then by the end makes Naruto ninja Jesus with deep spiritual and blood ties to the most important figures in the ninja world.

I don't think that was ever much a theme, except for one character.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Redwall should still be coming as it has not been announced as being canceled.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The 7th Guest posted:

Just announced today, but the Miraculous Ladybug director and studio are helming a new CG Astro Boy series.

That sounds cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BioEnchanted posted:

One final thing about Naruto now I've finished Shippuden (probably not gonna bother with Boruto) - I appreciate that just because (ending stuff)he's a war hero doesn't mean he gets fast tracked. Kakashi is going to make him a Jonin to help his journey to eventual Hokage and Shikamaru is completely in his corner and willing to help too, but Naruto needs to earn that promotion by learning everything that both a Chunin AND a Jonin are supposed to know. He has to take 2 courses at once basically so that he will qualify for Jonin and then have enough knowledge that he can be trusted with the responsibility of leading the village. He has to shore up all his weaknesses as he can no longer afford to be book-dumb. AND ontop of that he needs to keep up his mission quota so that he doesn't get perceived as lazy or inconsistent.

Also the wedding gift final arc was hilarious.

I think Boruto is better than Shippuden for the most part so I actually recommend it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cheston posted:

What happened to Mao Mao? Wikipedia says it got a second season but it's been like two years.

No clue. Covid issues?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kubo was also not a good fit for weekly schedules. He starts out strong when he can plan things out, but once he gets past the stuff he has planned it starts to fall apart.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dawgstar posted:

IIRC, nobody is 'born' into the Soul Society, it's all people who died. You just lose your memory when you die so you're often taken in and 'raised' by somebody. If you're lucky it's one of the fancy noble houses.

Although having said that, it's entirely possible people were 'born' in the Soul Society knowing the loose approach Bleach took to its own continuity.

The Nobles were all people born in Soul Society.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, does Star Vs ever abandon the two segment per episode rule the way Amphibia occasionally did?

Yes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ehh it’s not that big a change.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

I always love when a villain gets owned by some normal person who doesn't care about their poo poo.

Also, I'm irrationally peeved at the line/brag Xanatos does about how Goliath can't leave him in the past "because [he] didn't". That's not how the time loop works!

It makes sense, if he had been left in the past there would have been records of him being in the past. That they don’t exist means he was not left there.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 2, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

is the 2003 tmnt show actually as cool as i remember it being?

Some seasons are weaker than others.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DoctorWhat posted:

Young Justice doesn't underperform. It performs exactly as well as it deserves to.

Young Justice is the second highest watched and rated animated show on all streaming services. Only Arcane has done better than it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The 7th Guest posted:

apparently the previous batman cartoon (Beware the Batman) was performing so badly that it was pulled mid-run like a broadcast TV show would be, and was then written off, but that was years ago. even though BTB and B:CC don't share much DNA, zaslav is enough of an idiot that I could see him thinking "oh well that did badly so this will probably do badly too".

Beware never had a chance, it was strangled in its crib. It was doing fine by metrics, but at its 7th episode it was taken off air and the rest of the series ended airing overseas before CN decided finally to do something with it by giving it to Toonami. Where a few weeks into airing there it was suddenly written off.

Back then we noticed a pattern with CN show where stuff they wanted to get rid of would suddenly be taken off air without explanation before being aired in different slots with their return unadvertised with as little attention given to them as possible so they could use that as justification to cancel them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DoctorWhat posted:

it's trash

Well it has done very well for itself regardless of your feelings.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I remember and quite liked that show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I always felt bad for Furball cause he was just a cat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was also a whole thing where while Captain Marvel says Shazam to transform because it's both the name of the wizard that gave him his powers (and also an acronym), one of his associated supporting cast was Captain Marvel Junior who says "Captain Marvel" to transform because he gets his powers from Captain Marvel. The Brave and the Bold cartoon got into some of the classic Captain Marvel stuff.

Famously Captain Marvel Jr was incapable of saying his own name cause he would transform after saying the first part. When he was part of the Teen Titans his inability to introduce himself led him to just go by CMJ.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On the Superman opening trying to identify the villains.

The left is Silver Banshee, Rough House, and Intergang. Don't know who power armor guy on the left is. That is undoubtedly Waller next to Intergang. Don't know who Skullguy with Swords is. The armored person with electric hands could be Livewire. Mechanical Kaiju thing could be Metallo. Big face on the right is Mxyzptlk. I am guessing shadow in the back is Brainiac. Superman look alike in the center could be Eradicator or Cyborg Superman. Surprised no Lex.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

He looked so different from the flaming head Atomic Skull that I am used to, that he did not cross my mind.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Slade is kind of not a superman villain and is not really associated with skulls.

He could always be original.

Edit:Someone said it could be Bloodsport who is associated with skulls, though I don’t think he would be much of a challenge for Superman.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 24, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

-Is the masked guy from the opening called by his comic name (Deathstroke) or by his Teen Titans animated name (Slade)?

Those are both his name. Slade Wilson is just Deathstroke's real name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the reasons most people don’t link Clark and Superman in many versions is because most people don’t know Superman has a secret identity. He tends to straight out tell people his background minus the Clark stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Intergang was fun in the new episode. Wonder why Mist does not get to be in the OP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We also see him helping in active supervillainy which he seems to enjoy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ivo also looks like his comic self now

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Currently just fan, but I am betting it is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dawgstar posted:

The first season was amazing. Then Jeph Loeb took over and thought kids were too stupid for serialized stories so they just dropped all the plot threads, went completely episodic and nobody cared.

I think most of Season 2 was still decent quality. But then the show was killed for no reason to be replaced with another show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

The proper Marvel name for them is Sleazoids.

I thought they were the Brood, and Sleazoids was just a nickname Kitty gave them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr Interweb posted:

glad they got another season. i feel "Destroyer" was a much better send off for the series than "Epilogue" was.

YES. arguably the best moment in not just JL/JLU but any DC animated series. buuuuuuuuuuuuut....i do have two problems with it:

- the first is what drrockso20 already pointed out. that incredible buildup was deflated almost immediately (i have more to say about the absurdity of the agony matrix in a future post)
- this one's admittedly more :goonsay: , but as awesome as that scene is, it doesn't really make too much sense in the context of not just JL, but Superman: TAS as well. remember, darkseid brainwashed superman to be his soldier, and made everyone on earth hate him. understandably, he was pissed. and not only pissed but pissed enough to take some kind of revenge. sure, he didn't wind up killing him when he had the opportunity, but the point is, he didn't look like he was holding back at all. same when he encounters darkseid again when he asked him to help take care of brainiac. and unlike in superman: tas, he was willing to kill him. so intent was he that he scolded batman for trying to stop him afterwards. and yet both those times we saw darkseid fighting equally more or less, not being hilariously outclassed like during the cardboard speech.

basically, i'm just saying that superman was in a state of anger far greater in those two instances than he was in the finale. hell, by the finale it seemed like he even mellowed out a bit, which makes him "unleashing his true power" all the more odd.

in the grand scheme of things, this is a minor complaint to be sure, since the scene is so awesome it's not really too important to quibble about things like accuracy and consistency. just wanted to :goonsay: real quick is all

Darkseid's Agony Matrix is a power Darkseid has in the comics as well, though there it's normally through his Omega Beams rather than an AoE. He can just shoot you with them and cause you to feel the most horrible pain. Darkseid is more powerful than Supes. There is a reason he just got right back up after the speech and won the fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

I think the problem people have with it mainly is that, aside from just immediately deflating Superman's really cool moment, the Agony Matrix is a move that (in the show) we've never seen before. In the DCAU Darkseid is kind of a one-trick pony... well, like 3 tricks (those being has big armies, is real strong, Omega beams) so having him bust out this new power is kind of a "man, this is bullshit" moment.

I mean you can justify it by saying that technically Darkseid's supposed to be merged with Brainiac by then so he should be more powerful, or by the aforementioned "well he has it in comics" but in the context of the episode it just feels very out of nowhere.

well of course, anything would have been a better send off than Epilogue was :colbert:

Yeah I kind of just think of Darkseid from his best stories, he's a literal god so he has lots of powers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I still want Netflix to show work on that Redwall stuff I head they were doing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I found the Redwall show enjoyable when I was younger. Was pretty dark for a kids show given the high amounts of death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

How far into the series did it go?

It covered three books over three seasons.

Redwall the first book, where a Warlord Cluny the Scourge attempts to siege Redwall Abbey to loot it.
Mattimeo the third book and direct sequel to Redwall, where the Abbey's children are kidnapped by the slaver Slagar the Cruel and the Heroes from the first book track him (While the children try to slow the slaver band down).
Martin the Warrior the sixth book a prequel about the early life of Martin the Warrior the founder of Redwall Abbey when he was a slave to Badrang the Tyrant and led a revolution against him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I still want news from Netflix on Redwall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aces High posted:

Gone the same way as the Bone animated series?

That was announced as being gone, Redwall got some updates.