Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Zuko in Avatar comes to mind, where he's held to account for his actions even and especially because of how close he'd come to switching sides before.

In Naruto's case I figure it's just Naruto being an idiot and happy that people are treating him better now.

Every villain redemption arc wishes it could be Zuko's arc, let's be real here. It's one of the best done versions of that arc in kids media. Like, I love She-ra And the Princess Of Power and I'm glad Catra turned good and they got to be big gay lesbians, but they did forgive her awfully easy despite destroying reality. Or did they? Wait, it's been a while: how much did they call her out on her bullshit, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1402670449947865088?s=20

Covok
May 27, 2013

I genuinely wonder if the people working on flicks like Space Jam know that they're trash. Like, they probably see only their parts so it's hard to judge, I imagine, but imagine doing CGI to blend in the gang from a clockwerk orange into a crowdshot so they don't clash with the jetsons and the flintstones, are still easily recognizable, and still don't overshadow the looney tunes in that shot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone else jump when "Hero" played?

Also, 40 years? My He-Man show ended in 2004. Dang Boomers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It'd unfortunate we will not get the gay himbo He-Man I was expecting after Noelle's She-Ra.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wait, people didn't get they were gay for each other? Sure, I intially thought Scorpia was a better fit until later on, but I still saw they were gay for each other.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/DillyDilworth/status/1407129164919062532

Covok
May 27, 2013

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Which is fine, I’m not saying the movie will be good, but if you look at his Twitter Dilworth is a crazy COVID denier, so good riddance.

Oh woof! I wish I saw that before giving my condolences on twitter. Well, gently caress it. Still sucks to lose your product.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, it looks terrible. I have no plans to watch it. Frankly feels like we get this cartoon regutiated every few years.

One of the creator swears its Netflix doing horrible marketing. I don't buy it, but, as someone reminded me, Netflix did gently caress up their marketing so badly once that a documentary trying to expose the sexualization of minors in media was seen as in support of that sexualization and the creator got incorrectly labeled a pedophile for it and made a pariah. So, it's possible but I highly doubt it.

Thread: https://twitter.com/cabeeese/status/1408095598603948035?s=20

Covok
May 27, 2013

Perhaps all marketing is evil and the true sin is capitalism being allowed to pollute and destroy the world and our minds.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The reason they keep retelling origin stories in Marvel comics back in the day is that Jim Shooter, editor in chief, had a rule that said any comic could be someone's first so every relevant element for the plot needed to be established and reestablished in each issue.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Larryb posted:

Same but only if it’s with the Netflix She-Ra.

Note that this trailer is a leak and as a result, a lot of the voices have been deepened to avoid a copyright strike.

Here’s another leaked clip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xsXS8SeCUKI

"That's parental pride. Something I hope I can feel one day."

"Well, okay, gently caress me, I guess."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone else think King's dad was the titan that died to make the burning isles?

Owl House Spoiler discussion.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of toys, how much did SPoP actually get in terms of merchandise?

Also, were the final two seasons ever released on DVD (I know the first three were)?

We got a Cortex Prime game on the way. Maybe some dolls? Also, no, only first 3 so far.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I mean, I have seen tabletop roleplaying games like Vital Hearts list Digimon as inspiration for their MMORPG style Isekai TRPG. I also often joke Amphibia and Owl House are the best Isekais of the last decade (eat it, "I'm A Spider So What?"! Get a real animation budget; get hosed, "Sheild Hero," and your terrible slavery plot; don't make an extended forced penile sounding scene, "Overlord", like what the actual gently caress?).

Got to be real with y'all. No one ever heard the term Portal Fantasy before. Everyone has heard of an Isekai.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm sure anything glossed over will be explained in the light novel.

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1413656123127877633?s=19

Finally! An excuse to read!

Mraagvpeine posted:

There should be sub-genres in Isekai like regular, fantasy Isekai and video-gamey Isekai.

I concur. The Clinian scale. How close to a Ernst Cline twitter.com post does your Isekai fall?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am kind of amazed Centaur World was good actually.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's a nice touch the human witch is in the same style as the Centaurs artistically, or at least clashes with Ryder's design. So Centaurification affects humans too. It's a little touch that I like.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Elman posted:

I don't think that's right. It would make perfect sense since she can use magic, but she looks pretty normal to me. If there's a difference in her artstyle it's a lot more subtle than it was for Horse.

Also yeah, Centaurworld has no right being as good as it was.

Unfortunately, you can't screenshot Netflix. But 10:03 remaining on the last episode you can see she's shaded differently. Ryder has heavier colors whereas the witch is flat. She also has pupils, her details are slightly more angular and her lines are softer. She's clearly effected by Centaurworld's effect.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I saw the first episode of jellystone. There is...a lot of vore in this cartoon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The first ep is basically a discarded Chowder script or something.

That just raises further questions about Chowder.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I eagerly await the Peter Potamus episode

Did you get that thing I sent ya?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is the show new? Mort is getting a lot of memes right now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm sure kids will like it and I wish them the best, but I don't think this is my thing. Who knows, though? I'll keep my ears to the ground and see what the vibe is. Maybe it will surprise me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yo, mate, not trying to be antagonistic here for real but it sounds like you're taking your personal gripes out and acting like their facts. Take a breath, relax, and evaluate your feelings.

Covok
May 27, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Even in the alternate dimension where they are both evil, the divorce is purely an act for tax reasons (and to protect Mrs Doofenshmirtz in case Heinz gets arrested) and they are actually pretty good friends.

To be fair, it sounds like they weren't happy living under the same roof and legit sound like they're happier living apart and it actually helps their romance stay alive. Kind of strangely mature.

Covok
May 27, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

The new Disney show, "The Ghost and Molly McGee" is really cute. Ashly Burch is such a great voice actress. And her character is super expressive.

I am enjoying it so far. I also feel that Master Shake is doing s great job in his role.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Chudd's whining never hurts viewership. But evil conservative executives that grind orphans into cigars and have epstein's corpse on speed dial use it as "proof this was never going to work" so they can punch their minority workers in the face and tell them they'll have them killed if they ever say that happened.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am disappointed. I thought this was the one with Sally Acorn and the Freedom Fighters.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I've been rewatching Gravity Falls and god drat this show is good.

It started the ball that got us Owl House and Amphibia. The fact that Hirsch is getting sidelined because he told Disney to suck his dick and went to Fox, only for Fox to be bought out by Disney one year later, is a crime.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finished revisiting an old show from when I was a kid, and it's really weird so I feel compelled to post.

The Big Boy and Rusty the Boy Robot was a show that was made by the people who were also behind Extreme Ghostbusters, Jackie Chan Adventures, Godzilla the Series, and Men in Black the series. A lot of shows that had similar aesthetic styles of realistic designs and muted colors.

It stars these two robots, one a big guy with kind of a retro-future aesthetic, and the other basically a knock-off Astroboy. I think their dynamic is meant to evoke like the Fat Man and Little Boy atomic bombs, and Big Guy does throw around WW2-style bombs a lot. They fight various threats, mostly giant monsters. There's a whole thing where Big Guy apparently had a longer history of defending America and Rusty is a newer robot that really looks up to him and aspires to be like Big Guy. Only thing is, Big Guy wasn't actually artificially intelligent, that was just a thing they told everybody for propaganda purposes, Big guy is actually piloted by a human, voiced by Jim Hanks, and Rusty doesn't know and thinks Big Guy is just like him, and people do their best to not let him in on the truth.

The whole thing is very militaristic, often kind of a satire of the military industrial complex. Everything Big Guy says is like it's out of a propaganda reel. Some episodes actually reveal something's gone wrong with Big Guy when he gets slightly less patriotic, and there is one episode that involves having to correct history when a time-travel incident makes the American Revolution fail, and without the American military industrial complex, Earth is left vulnerable to be conquered by aliens. It's really something. It's a big example of immediately pre-9/11 views on the American military. Very immediately, the show ran from September, 1999 to March, 2001. Just a weird point in history right before a whole lot of national opinions changed. The distributor of the show even folded on October 25, 2001.

Rusty, as the dumb young kid character is often annoying, but there's a weirdness to it, kind of like he's intentionally uncanny valley, and not quite properly sentient. There's an episode where some alien robots trying to act organic show up, and Rusty just laughs at them because he doesn't want to be human at all. All the other characters are mature adults, like Dr. Slate, Rusty's creator and top scientist on the show, or Donavan, the moneygrabbing CEO of the company that made Rusty, and his talking monkey. When Rusty's not around, it really doesn't seem like much of a kids' show at all, and even when he is around it sometimes gets weirdly mature. Dr. Slate and Big Guy's pilot have an interesting relationship. The show can also get pretty intense, I think some people die onscreen, and there definitely are some scenes of robots getting torn apart in a way that's almost gory.

I think there's a lot of references on the show that I don't get, but at least I caught some Dr. Strangelove when Big Guy rides a missile. There's even an apparent pre-reference like the AI gone rogue named EDI who threatens to blow up the moon. The plots can get pretty weird, like when a scientist played by Tim Curry mutates into a giant brain-eating spider or when and underground race of lava men plan to invade the surface world. The longest overarching villains are the Legion ex Machina, a shadowy cabal of androids played by Clancy Brown, Clancy Brown, Clancy Brown, Dean Haglund, Clancy Brown, and Clancy Brown.

I remember this show. Funny enough, something brought it to mind earlier before I saw your post. I remember liking it as a kid. I never noticed all the military propaganda as a kid. I remember just liking it. I literally barely remember a single goddamn thing. The only thing coming to mind is a scene where Rusty is joking about how tough us robots are to Big Guy, and Big Guy pretends to be okay with it but his pilot is actually like got a broken arm and is playing along through his pain. Some vague memories of Rusty being confused when Big Guy's pilot got hurt or sick, causing Big Guy to malfunction when a Robot shouldn't be affected. I don't remember a single plot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just watched Kid Cosmic Season 2 and 3. I don't know what opinion to have but I will say the first season was the best.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Like, I enjoyed a lot of it but some of it could have used a second draft. I expect a lot of water cooler moments to come to me but I had fun.

Covok
May 27, 2013

DW is definitely the type to join the force. By that I mean a self-important, entitled baby who likes ruining other people's lives.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So apparently there's a new Fairly Oddparents show on Nick, which normally I would not care about in the slightest, but I saw this clip posted on Twitter and good lord:

https://twitter.com/PersonthePerso2/status/1509606406323900417?s=20&t=oiYGaGSLfd5wfnhLGKZ1BA

I'm pretty sure there are ham sandwiches with a higher budget than this animation.

Why would you ever do Crocker from the front angle?

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://youtu.be/Zhw8iOM3s-I

Legend of Gengi just announced their release date of 4/16/21. It's an Avatar fan project sequel that Avatar actually ripped off for the premise of the Kyoshi novels.

Covok
May 27, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Oh yeah, that does sound a lot like the start of the Kyoshi novel.

To be fair, Legend of Gengji dropped with this idea years before the Kyoshi novels were announced.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My only regret is that...I had...boneitis.

Covok
May 27, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Naruto makes me irrationally angry because it starts off as a meditation on how hard work and gumption can overcome bullshit ideas of family lineage and genetic superiority and then by the end makes Naruto ninja Jesus with deep spiritual and blood ties to the most important figures in the ninja world.

Or how they hosed up so bad that Neji's depressing view of the world was proven right by the end.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/AnimationOnMax/status/1526962382865682436

oof. looks like we're headed for a "why does this exist" battle between the new management at Warner and Cartoon Network/WBA :/

this could potentially be uglier than the last merger, more akin to the disasterous 2001 aol time warner merger

Well, this guy is definitely going to make enemies too. His response to why they gave Clint Eastwood a movie when they had reservations was "we don't owe anyone any favors." The studio apparently gave Clint a movie because he had a good track record and was loyal to them. This guy said that mindset can eat a dick. Not a good way to run a studio in an industry where networking is king and spite can kill a career. If your plan is to snub people and never rub their backs, don't be shocked when all the good deals go to your competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Been watching Naruto on Crunchyroll, got to Shippuden. Just wanted to say that Tobi owns.

Shippuden has as much filler as OG Naruto so I'd suggest using a guide to skip filler. At least the bad filler. Some filler is apparently decent like the filler that turns the capturing of the Three Tails from a single panel to a 15 episode arc. I wouldn't know, I read the manga.