Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Junpei posted:

Confession I have about early 2000s mon shows:

I will absolutely 100% cop to the fact that Digimon Tamers is a better show than the original Adventure. Stronger plot, better dramatic voice acting, does more interesting things, gets darker, has a stronger core cast by virtue of a smaller one.

But I find Adventure more... rewatchable? I guess? Maybe it's just because Tamers requires more effort but Adventure is much more easy for me to just pick up and watch when I'm in the mood.

You are describing the exact dilema I had about two years ago about Digimon. Tamers is and remains my favorite series, but its so dark and heavy that it can be much harder to get through. It's also more serialized. You can't watch a random episode because it has very few one-off episodes. And I think that's partly because there are less kids so you have less "focus" episodes that only care about one kid.

Have you watched Ghost Game or Adventure 2020? The former is really good and the later is better than people realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Why does Hitler have a handlebar mustache?

Also, I do not get where people think Steven is a wuss. Dude legit loses his temper and throws hands on the reg. And the guy is legit way more angry than he lets on. So many fans bitch that he was too easy to hand out unearned Zukos on character but bro was messed upinside about it and legit wished he ozaied the fools instead. Like, he's a kind person and he tries to be nice, but he don't gently caress around when people be acting like poo poo and he will throw hands if he need to.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Clarence is an insane loving show. The episode where his parents forget to pick him up from school is straight bananas, dipping through multiple levels of reality and basically winking at the screen towards the end by acknowledging that nothing about what happened could possibly make sense.

Also surprised by how much the show has it out for the Jeff character. He's sort of the gang's uptight friend with control issues, but the show leans into this idea that he's basically a little monster. Just narcissistic and rules obsessed to the point where even the teachers resent him. There's this fantastic episode where he gets assigned to the lower percentile class (based on a standardized test) and it's just the most absolutely brutal takedown of him and of grading in general. He desperately believes he deserves to be in the top scoring class, but whenever they cut away to said class the characters are (hilariously) discussing university level theory about self-directed learning and the uselessness of standardized testing -- which Jeff would hate. And then the episode slowly reveals that the lower scoring class are having the exact same discussion about self-directed learning, but in this form that's equally alienating and incomprehensible to the poor guy. He's honestly probably pretty lonely, but he also believes that he's just better than everyone else around him and so it's all horribly self-inflicted. It's great stuff, but so so mean.

I was in the higher performing class of my school and we mostly talked about girls, video games, and baseball.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's also weird watching Transformers Animated after SU because it comes off as a gender swap. The Gems have a lot of Cybertronian vibes, as well as a touch of Saiyan.

It kills me that all we will ever get of Season 4 is that surprisingly good botcon comic. They were going to do a Shattered Glass episode! I'm a sucker for that poo poo!

Covok
May 27, 2013

It really is amazing how this person continually makes bad decisions. Like, he legit had to walk back a movie cancellation because he almost lost the flagship director of his entire planned reboot of the DC Universe because he couldn't be arsed to check that the film he was going to cancel was the passion project they green lit to get him. And then got a congressman to (admitably, nothing will come of this) point out his abuse of tax credits should result in an IRS investigation. It is an amazing level of terrible CEO. I thought people hated that Far Right Disney CEO who lasted two years, canceled Owl House, and then got ousted for incompetence. But David Zslav is looking to be one of the most hated TV Executives in America.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 28, 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neeksy posted:

The CEO you're referring to was also the creator of "The Disney Vault" concept, and also ran the parks into the ground before being put in charge of Disney as Iger's fall guy for the losses that were about the happen.

Oh wow. I actually do buy he was put in charge to take the hit for Iger. When Iger came back, a lot of people reached that conclusion. I wasn't expecting that Bob Chapek was also the fool who decided that hiding movies from people to drum up sales was anything other than evil.

It could have been an actual glitch, but it's always hard to believe that. When you do something and it pisses a lot of people off and it follows a track record, it's hard to see otherwise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm somehow not too worried, oddly enough. His cut/slash approach has gotten him loved by the money people early on because it help manage debt but their stock prices have plummeted since he took over. They're half what they were when he took control. Both Warner and Paramount stock slide 4% just at the mention this deal could be happening. Normally, mergers raise the value of stock! There seems to be some insider agreement that, while it might be making the purse bigger now, that he's setting himself up for failure and the money people smell blood in the water. He won't cede control without a fight, but, as he further alienates creatives and almost lose them flagship directors in dumb business moves, he's making money people nervous about his long-term prospects. He is on top of Warner today, but I feel this will be like Chapek where his position isn't as permanent as doomers would have you think.

tl;dr the metrics suggest money people know Zslav's policies won't make them money in the long run and that means he might get ousted.

Covok
May 27, 2013

"Mickey Mouse eats Winnie The Pooh's rear end"

OR

"Our Steamboat Willie," where Comrade Mickey Mouse must kill his leech of a boss, Pete, on his mission to kill "Uncle Walt", billionaire owner of the steamboat company, who has kept him and his people enslaved by capital.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Series: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOCKFkmZczmDmjqAcfYDmXgEkG-PGIc7W

The Behind The Scenes: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOCKFkmZczmD78ZPM722jHspyiK7AhNn8&si=GPvD9tkQyf4oXzRB

I thought I'd mention this to everyone. It is called RWBY Season 5 Redux.

The tl;dr is that it is a fan edit of RWBY Season 5 by two amateur filmmakers that extensively cuts down and redits the season. They reached out to Roosterteeth, the show's owners, and got approval to release the fan edit as long as it wasn't being charged for. Each week will air a new season. There will be 10. 7 have been released so far.

To expand on things, RWBY Season 5 is considered by far as the absolute worst season of the show. It was considered full of head scratching moments, it was very slow, and generally just seemed like a huge drop on quality. This fan edit features no new material or changes to the plot. It takes what already exists (including the trailer footage and character shorts) and extensively redits and reorders the story to great effect. The plot flows more naturally and hits with a bigger ompg. They recolored the entire season to remove the washed out effect. They even did while poo poo like cut out redundant or pointless dialog misdsentence and seemingly cut down on the overwrought writing of the season.

The effect is this hits really hard. It's actually kind of shocking what editing can do. The story and characters and everything are the same. But the story just feels way loving better just by cutting some scenes, reareanging others, and cutting out some of the dialog. It's wild.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 7, 2024

Covok
May 27, 2013

Larryb posted:

New ATLA clip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=z4YKGVwd8pI

The Bending effects look decent at least

Why are the earth kingdom soldiers European?

Covok
May 27, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Deeply frustrating because the next logical step is to switch focus to the next earth avatar and advance the world to the modern day.

BUT WHAT IF IT ENDS UP LIKE KORRA? A GOOD SHOW THAT THE INTERNET AND THE STUDIO HATE FOR SOME REASON. (AND TO BE FAIR IT IS ALSO A VERY CENTRIST SHOW BUT MOST PEOPLE WHO BITCH ONLINE DON'T BITCH ABOUT THE ANTI-BLM 2008 DISCOURSE AND THE BAD PORTRAYAL OF ANARCHY).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It does indeed portray anarchists as far more intelligent and noble than they tend to be in the real world.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Watched the first two and a half episodes, and while I don't think it's bad I don't think it's very good. The writing and characters in particular feel like a big downgrade from the original, and Katara feels especially done dirty by the changes so far (Her actress also looks really stiff, especially in some of the action scenes). I'll probably keep watching, but so far my impression is that it really struggles to justify its own existence, and so far there hasn't been anything that makes me think "wow, I'm glad this exists and that I watched it instead of simply rewatching the original."

Costuming and the sets are pretty good though, I'll give them that.

It picks up a bit midseason. The first two episodes are the worst and I think that is partly why reactions have been so intensely negative.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think that the dialog was a bit too expository. I hope in season 2 they will dial that back. I already know all the lore so sometimes I was just rolling my eyes going "yes, I know what the Kyoshi warriors are" or "yes, I read the Kyoshi novels and know the secret about Kuruk."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ccs posted:

Yeah it has some of the most awkward line readings I’ve ever heard.

I’m still probably gonna finish it but my initial shock that episode 1 wasn’t complete garbage has been replaced by a sense of “oh it’s interesting how they’re moving some things around but overall why don’t I just rewatch the original?”

I am now considering rewatching the original after watching the live action version. The fact that show is also on Netflix at the moment is kind of clever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mystes posted:

There have been a bunch of shows that have been killed for dumb reasons recently, but I still think it's a bit excessive to say that "if you only pirate shows your views aren't counting toward the decision of whether to renew shows or not" is the "worst take ever"

Yes, HBO might just kill it anyway, yes, the views might come too late and not factor into the decision anyway, but still if you view it by paying for a streaming service, your views are being counted towards a number that may be taken into consideration, and if you pirate it, they aren't.

Whether this would have made any difference for any actual show, I don't know, but I don't think it's an outrageous thing to say.

It's a bad take BECAUSE we knoe Zlav canceled the shows because he viewed kids animation as a waste of money and abhors paying royalties because he only ever worked on reality TV. He is doing what reality TV people do: air a show, get your money, then destroy it for a tax write off. It's just no one cares if you do it for survivor season 98. But they care about it when its done to art. And Zslav is hated by everyone other than investors because of it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The shows I can think of where you can arguably chalk it up to 'merch didn't sell' are few and far between, like maybe the 2011 Thundercats but even then they were playing pinball with when the show aired and it was also around the same time when Cartoon Network got weird about any show that had good numbers but outside the 8-13 year old boy demo, I believe it was.

They killed Young Justice for this too because they refused to make toys for it because Aqualad was black, is what i heard.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Illmade posted:

Unless you are a literal child with zero income you have absolutely no excuse not to pay for the media you consume. Nobody, including artists, works for free and they deserve to be compensated for their work. Just pay the $15 you cheap weirdos.

...okay?

To be honest, some creators like piracy. Ian jones-Quartey, Own Dennis, and J.G. Quintley have come out in support of piracy because their shows were nuked for tax write-offs DESPITE being successful and both waxed romantically how piracy is the only way fans can now watch their show. They're not just off streaming, DVDs and digital purchases were pulled. I think OK KO is still alive, but its on the chopping block. If we're being honest, the real enemy will always be tying the existence of art to how much money it can make ghoulish executives who see art only as a means of growing their disgusting wealthy despite it already being so large neither them or any of their descendants will ever be poor again.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The tax write off thing only works for productions that haven't been released to my understanding like Batgirl because it's taxed as a complete loss. This doesn't work for released shows because it made some money through its release so it goes on the books normally. Being taken off the service is just being taken off the service. The only financial benefit is ostensibly the extra room made to promote other works and the lack of residuals that need to be paid. Also the possible future licensing profits as part of a bundle to some other streaming service.

Then, why can't Megas XLR be saved?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sockser posted:

poo poo, there was a third season?

Listen, it was destroyed so all I'll say is that there is always you know. And the creator even supports it at this point.

Fishylungs posted:

There's a second Yangchen book.

I loved all the books and from Yangchen one of my favorite bits of added lore was about Avatar Szeto. Yangchen goes "he was amazing, why do I suck so bad?" And the reality is he spent his Avatar career as a Fire Nation bureaucrat/CPA. Something just delights me with the idea everyone during Yangchen's time is yearning for a man who was a professional boring person.

I would love it if they adapted the books into an animated show.

You do have to think about it from the standpoint of living in the world. It must have been great for people in power that the Avatar spent all his time not using his power and just counting beans for one nation. What a way to ensure that he wasn't disruptive to the status quo. Hell, even with that snide remark, it must even be nice for those who aren't being seriously hosed hard by society because the Avatar has a track record of throwing their lives into chaos. Someone just doing taxes for a living with godly powers reminds me of a batman quote that went roughly like:

"Sometimes, Clark and I hang out and have drinks. He jokes and laughs and I can't see him as anything else than human. Then, I see him fight aliens, gods, and monsters, lift mountains, and traverse space in seconds and I can't see him as anything else than a god. And I will be always thankful that he doesn't see himself as such."

Sure, it's great the Avatar always wants to help, but one thing Yangchen mentions in the novel is, since she is dangerously too close to her past lives and has spoken to many of them, she realized that even with the wisdom of all those lives that she still can make dumb mistakes and that she isn't perfect. The novel is also amazing for having a real examination of what being the Avatar means to someone that intune with their past lives. They have lived a 1000 lives and know that they will live 1000s more. There is a great scene where she legitimately sees it as a curse because she so desperately wants to escape this cycle of pain, but knows she cares too deeply about people and their problems that she never could make herself do so. And it's handled so well too because she is sad earlier in the novel because she couldn't save a woman's baby and, as she is having her doubts and thinking of running, she is informed the child was found and saved thanks to her efforts, and the rush of joy makes her realize she can never stop helping people no matter how much this world breaks her and, God, what a curse that truly is to an unending being.

Also, Avatars have a habit of loving things up. Like, Yangchen pissing the spirits off so much armies of dark spirits invade, Kuruk trying to fix this by killing dark spirits and setting the spirit world out of balance and making enemies, Kyoshi making the Dai Li and helping the Fire Lord consolidate power away from the Imperial Court so he can rule uncontested, Roku for turning a blind eye to his friend and helping him amass power for the 100 year war, and you get the idea. So, it must be nice to have a boring Avatar. Think of the old phrase "may you live in interesting times."

They should just do original stories IMO. I was keen about the idea of them jumping forward again, which IIRC was on the cards for a while, and this "Aang Gang but they're adults" movie thang is a bit... eh, hows it going, you know?

If we have to get IP, then people should move forward, make bold choices, be radical, make new statements. I hate all this self-cannibalism. It's just circling the drain.

Back in the day, they absolutely would have. Back before the 2010s and the MCU when secondary media didn't matter as much. But, when Disney bought Star Wars, it felt like there was this tide shift and now all corporations policed their secondary media like hawks for consistency and control. The first comics DID move the timeline forward. But, just as Korra was going to (and, frankly, kind of failing hard with the nazi apologia that was "Ruins of the Empire" comic), this shift happened when Paramount realized Avatar was popular. Then the comics that pushed Aang and Korra's timeline forward slowed down and even went on hold for a while. We just got the first timeline pushing comic "Azula in the Spirit Temple" in two years after two years of just doing "in-between" stories. Avatar is Paramount's focus now so they won't dare move too forward in secondary media lest they want to make a new Avatar series about an Earth Avatar or whatnot.

PriorMarcus posted:

So, with Paramount basically making GBS threads the bed right now, all of this is somewhat up the air, but the story moving forward is still the plan and still going ahead.

In the works at Avatar Studios right now, all animated, is the adult Gaang film which is kind of a big budget relaunch of the animated universe to generate buzz. It makes sense to use the Gaang for this and to cash in on their popularity. There's also a standalone Zuko film in development.

Meanwhile there's also a TV series in development that is about the next Avatar in the line, an Earth Bender.

All of these have been announced and are said to have varying art styles and be cribbing from various genres etc.

It seems the plan is that the TV series will be used to move things forward and tell stories with new characters in the evolving setting, whilst the films will be used to tell stories about existing characters that are somewhat more "fan pleasing".

The thing about the new Avatar series about the Earth Avatar, I head, was just a rumor from a defunct fansite. I don't think it was ever officially confirmed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, you're probably right and that kinda sucks. It's the same nonsense that infects all metric driven art, where new storytelling is primarily influenced by the analysis of old material. Everything becomes a remix, or some fill in the gaps exercise. It's staid and boring.

Like, a completely new avatar cycle isn't even that big an ask, since it's still "IP driven franchise content" (vom) but it represents an unknown and therefore a risk.

If it makes you feel better, Star Wars itself went through this from the 1970s to the 1990s. It moved the plot forward but it was all rehashes. Eventually, the money dries up and then you got to blow up the setting and bring in the Yuuzhan Vong. By the time Disney bought Star Wars, they were entering Legacy II following Ania Solo 1000 years after the end of original series.

When it was just Star Wars and Superhero comics doing this poo poo, it was tolerable, even endearing as a quirk of those mediums to just never end and be these eternal soap operas for nerds. Now, every company does it and it has just become another cog in the gear of capitalism killing art as a concept at the altar of quarterly profits.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 3, 2024

Covok
May 27, 2013

Junpei posted:

You know, at this point this has me wonder if the Murder Drones/Amazing Digital Circus/Hazbin Hotel/Helluva Boss indie animation boom will ever start making actual kids shows of quality and depth. Unless they have been already and they just haven't been as advertized as the dark for-adults stuff.

They're trying. I definitely saw some pilots that looked kids oriented before, like the one about the sherifs in the gulch whose name I can't remember, but the thing is that a lot of this requires viewer funding and kids don't have money.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Junpei posted:

Speaking of internet animation, Rooster Teeth is going under, and apparently there are talks for RvB, RWBY and Gen:Lock to be sold off to other companies.

drat, RWBY Season 9 was the best the series had been in years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've seen this suggestion before, but given the tech levels that already exist in Korra, skipping ahead that far would put the series pretty solidly into outright sci-fi or post apocalypse territory. Which could be cool and have a lot of potential, but it would be pretty far departure for the series.

(That being said, my own pitch would be for a 1950s/60s globe-trotting Cold War spy adventure)

Not necessarily. Hello Future Me had a pretty good video on it, but, basically, we kind of underestimate Avatar's tech level because we mainly follow the non-industrialized nations during Avatar. The Fire Nation underwent the Industrial Revolution somewhere around 50 years before the 100 year war. By the time we see the 1920s tech level in Korra, it is 210 years later, roughly, as Korra occurs 70s years after the end of the 100 year war. The Fire Nation clearly exported their science and technology under Zuko, thus leading to the other nations catching up. We also focus on Republic City which is a new city that didn't have the clutter of the old to hold it back.

The thing is, the industrial revolution happened in 1760 to 1820. It actually took the world of Avatar 50 years LONGER to reach an equivalent of our 1920 era of technology.

The drill, of course, throws a ramrod right into that, though.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 10, 2024

Covok
May 27, 2013

It has been mentioned he was fired from Witcher for strange story choices, physical and emotional abuse, and sharing pictures of his dick on OnlyFans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

There’s nothing wrong with this part.

Yeah, but some people were saying that wouldn't fly with Disney.