Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

El Tortuga posted:

This talk of Jim Cummings reminds me of a documentary that everyone in this thread should watch. It's called "I Know That Voice" and it's about, obviously, voice-acting. It's put together by John DiMaggio and has just about every big-name VA that's working right now. It's starts way at the beginning with Mel Blanc and Looney Toons, and even includes things like anime-dubbing and video game voice-acting. My only complaint is that there could have been more women interviewed, but it's still completely recommended for animation lovers. It's on Netflix, so sorry if you're the only person in the world that doesn't have it.

Oh cool! There's so many documentaries on Netflix it's nice having recommendations to shift through the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Gladney posted:

I think you're responding to a different poster here, but AIDS, crack, militarization of police, the end of affirmative action, and the myth of the welfare queen weren't really bad for poor, black Americans? Bad for all Americans obviously, but targeted really squarely (or indifference from authorities targeted really squarely in the case of AIDS and crack) at destroying black communities. It's true that things are worse now, but only because those trends have rolled on unchecked to the point where cops can kill a black kid right on tv and not even worry about it.

I'm pretty sure they were responding to exactly the right poster.

quote:

they were (upper) middle class white suburban children at the time

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Looking at that list just reminds me how random and bizarre Cartoon Network's Netflix choices are - only seasons 3 and 4 of a series? Only the second season of Samurai Jack? Granted, that's the season that has Aku's Fairy Tales so it's good enough for me, but still.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

icantfindaname posted:

but everything between the time that they grew out of the target demographic and the time when they found Adventure Time is the Worst Show Ever

Yeah that's accurate to pretty much any kids media.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Stephen Universe fans remind me more Homestuck fans than anything, both in their ubiquitousness (so many SU avatars!) and the way they always recommend the show to people outside of its niche.

"Looking for a feel-good workplace comedy now that Parks & Recs is over? Well it's not quite what you're looking for but I recommend Stephen Universe because :words:"

So it's like Dark Souls in cartoon form.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

axleblaze posted:

Avoiding a show because of the fandom always seems really dumb to me. It's really easy to just watch the show and ignore the fandom. If you don't like show, it doesn't look appealing to you or you just don't want to take the time to get into it that's reasonable but don't let the only reason you're avoiding be that some people are weird about it,

It is totally illogical and you would miss out on a huge amount of classics if you literally never consumed anything if it had a bad fanbase. On the other hand, if you already feel like you can go on without something, but it feels like people are being obnoxious about it (whether they're directly interacting with you or not), it's not unexpected that interest would be negative.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I skimmed that but you are a sad lame man if you think Black DBZ Fanfiction sounds like a bad thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also as much as it sucks leaving the show on a cliffhanger, there was no loving way Greg could have been able to forsee Disney buying Marvel and Sony losing the television rights.

Wow, that's hilariously bad luck.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

raditts posted:

I hope they got Grey DeLisle to replace Tara Strong.

??? They got a child actress.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

The Simpsons is also a great example of how not having a show be creator-driven can be a good thing, since Groening wanted to end the show with a twist ending where Homer and Krusty are the person and Marge pulls off her hair and reveals bunny ears undernearh because she was one of his My Life In Hell characters all along.

It's pretty telling that The Simpsons had its best seasons after he threw a hissyfit over having to cross-promote The Critic and cut off his involvement.

I know you meant for that to sound unreasonable but The Simpsons ending on a Torch and Burn ending would have been better than it turning into a zombie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Thank you for not actually quoting a Toxxucupation post so I don't have to see it.

computer parts posted:

The only real issue with Season 1 is the flub of the last ~5 minutes or so (post Amon reveal), but that could have easily been executed better. Everything else was nerd projection of the same variety as the Cthulu stuff in True Detective. Season 2 was again people being mad that the bad guy was clearly the bad guy, and sub-par animation for the first half didn't help.

Also, as (sorta) mentioned above Season 3 of the original series was also flubbed about as badly. Really I think the only parts people liked about the original series were Zuko, and without a similar sort of "Bad guy who turns good but not really(?)" character then fans' expectations would never be met.

I don't think that interpretation is true at all; for starters Sokka and Iroh are the best characters.

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 23, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ElCondemn posted:

I guess maybe it was fanservice, more of what people liked in the original, but I guess what I'm saying it was disappointing that bending is normal every day poo poo now.

One of the best parts of Atla's setting was that bending was mundane and actually used in society though. None of this "Oh, this magic is too convenient and powerful to use, I will only use it in the most impractical forms possible!", people used bending to make buildings and fuel stuff because why not.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ThermoPhysical posted:

This was never actually stated in the show or movie. It's something that was confirmed online by Craig Bartlett himself in a chat in 2006.

His full name is apparently Arnold Phillip Shortman.

You misread that post; that's exactly what he just said.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

icantfindaname posted:

Especially when the show is built up to be some sort of insightful exploration of social justice

As someone who has mixed feelings about LOK I really really disagree with this ever happening in reality. It was built up as, you know, a sequel to Avatar, the show with an Evil Overlord.

I'm also confused on why people ever thought a Mao figure would be the good guy. There's liberal stereotypes, and then there's historical reference in a franchise that's always revolved around them.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 28, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Crabtree posted:

Man, that guy is getting brought up a lot these days. Or at least that article seems to show up when people talk about turbo nerds.

If I had to guess recent events about women being harassed by the internet has made it kinda relevant again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, you're supposed to go on about how Steven Universe is the beginning of the second Animation Renaissance and Teen Titans GO!, Gumball and Uncle Grandpa never gently caress up a joke.

And that Steven Universe isn't anime Or is anime, I forgot which it is these days.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Bass Bottles posted:

There was a change in tone that I think started with Flapjack where shows felt more creator-driven. Hiring indie comic artists to be both storyboard artists and writers definitely helped, too.

I guess you don't have to call it a renaissance but Flapjack and Adventure Time were obviously influential and launched a bunch of careers. There's gotta be a word for that.

In my opinion, the has been a huge jump in Quality. The only older-show that can compare to the modern ones is Avatar.

Hey Samurai Jack is amazing and I won't budge on that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I definitely noticed that period of overwhelmingly jerk based comedy (and the deliberate rejection of it that seems to be going on these days), but I still have no clue what was the cause or reason of it. Was it just the general zeitgeist? Did Mascots with Tude end up turning into mascots that are giant assholes? Is there some massively popular character/show in that time period that I'm forgetting? I don't know.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

computer parts posted:

I mean it was fairly common even during the 90s.

Looking at the Cartoon Cartoon shows, you have:
  • Dexter's Lab (where Dexter's an rear end in a top hat)
  • Johnny Bravo (womanizing moron)
  • Cow & Chicken (Chicken at least was a pretty big jerk)
  • I am Weasel (I don't really remember but it kinda felt Freakazoid-esqe)
  • Powerpuff Girls (mostly positive)
  • Ed, Edd N Eddy (assholes as mentioned earlier)
  • Billy & Mandy (Dumbass and rear end in a top hat respectively, and Grim's not too great either)

and then a bunch of random stuff. Not the best track record if you're trying to avoid assholes.

I can totally buy it just being a natural extension of the Nineties, yeah. Powderpuff Girls isn't actually much different from the other stuff on that list, despite the super sugary appearance.

Seinfeld did cross my mind, but none of these shows seem to go for the banality (they all seem way more wacky, I guess) which is the other main part of Seinfeld's comedy.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, Shrek? I'm not a fan of that franchise, but Shrek wasn't a jerk. He just wanted to be left alone.

Yeah I don't see it; it doesn't have the "a bunch of assholes running into each other" feeling of that sort of cartoon. Maybe that's what happens if you remove the characters from the context of a movie plotline? But you could say that about almost anything; I'll admit I'm biased against this sort of thing because it felt like a lot if cartoons turned into that style out of laziness (later Spongebob).

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 31, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Buttlord: Crush Saga is already a classic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think it's more the necessary paradox that Archer is supposed to be an rear end in a top hat in universe, but everything he says is actually hilarious. Still not someone you would like to meet.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 2, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Never not going to post this.

https://youtu.be/7hxIi8j3QR0

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought the whip sound effects were (part of) a cost-saving measure. "We're not actually going to animate things moving, so we'll just pretend everything is moving really quickly."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
How does not copying what's popular make it more forced?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Gladney posted:

Why are AV Club adults giving serious reviews to children's cartoons?

It's not a children's cartoon, Dad, it's ANIME.

e. But seriously, mostly I'm just tired of everyone wanting everything to be a knock off of Steven Universe in order to be good. That AV club review was pretty much the only thing I could think of when this conversation started.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 26, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

X_Toad posted:

Because then you end up with children's cartoons that are all garbage?

If the reviews are creating bad cartoons they should stop then. :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

readingatwork posted:

Why not? They're super popular while also being some of the most well crafted media on TV right now. Even WBBs, arguably the weakest of the new crop of cartoons, seems to have way more love and effort put into it than almost anything on NBC/CBS/Etc these days.

It's really silly that it's going "this cartoon for kids is too childish because it doesn't have enough BEAR RACISM."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Corek posted:

It's weird that Frank Welker was the original voice of Fred and still does him today.

It's hilarious going to that website that lists voice acting roles with samples, and hearing that exact same voice from Mystery Inc to the original Sixties show, with the only difference being the audio quality.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

I'm so happy. This is the only property I actually wanted to come back in this age of strange revivals but even then I didn't bother hoping.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's a shame Samurai Jack just got taken off Netflix (because Cartoon Network is really weird about their old shows), because otherwise I would tell everyone to WATCH IT. I agree that the average quality of cartoons has gone up dramatically these past few years, but despite that Samurai Jack is still GOAT.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

I wouldn't go that far, on rewatch it seems like for every two rad action episode of SJ there was one lame "comedy" episode that was a waste of 20 minutes.

The comedy episodes are great though. Aku's Fairy Tales is the funniest 20 minutes ever.

The only, only episode of Samurai Jack I won't argue for is the very early one about the elephant people. Is that the actual pilot of the show? It's so awkward in comparison to everything else.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Even the one that's just 20 minutes of Jack trying on new shoes?

That episode explained why Jack has an infinite supply of identical straw hats, making it a vital part of the lore.

raditts posted:

Unless (and even if) it's supposed to be a direct continuation and not a remake or something, I'd rather they just got someone else entirely. That guy sucked as Iroh.

I hope it's not a remake. I'm pretty sure everyone involved knows that what people want to see is Jack finally getting that drat time machine.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
More seriously, even if some episodes were better than others I liked how Samurai Jack felt like the show that could do anything. Wild West Standoffs? Generic Medieval Village Quest? Anything. If I had to summarize in one word what made the show something special, it would be scale, from the huge army battles to how Jack's quest was implied to take place over decades.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
You can't properly reminisce old cartoons without a Peter Cullen bumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOKeCmj55pg

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
All I know about Avengers Assemble is this gif.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The Toonami guys figured this out when they were trying to acquire the show and shared it a while ago but Symbionic Titan has the absolute dumbest fate for a TV show. The rights got sold to the US government as part of a tax loophole, so it's not even allowed to be shown on TV.

Someone at Cartoon Network must reaaaaally hate giant robots.

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 13, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Jsor posted:

Is there a cite for this? Because the story there sounds magical.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/98164760488/good-newsbad-news-batman-fans

It's kind of a miracle in itself that Samurai Jack didn't get sold to a cheese company over 11 years.

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 13, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Juxtapositioning the Clone Wars series with the Prequel Trilogy really brings out the strengths of Genndy's style. He can tell a simple story in 4 minutes and six lines of dialogue when others faff around for 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Acne Rain posted:

I don't understand what are the "Bad Tartakovsky-isms" that titan doesn't have.
The popular opinion favors clone wars and jack over titan, and those are both mostly action and that's gendy's strong suite.

Titan is pretty different in storytelling compared to his other stuff, much more conventional (more dialogue, more characterization, a more explicit main plot). It's easy to see why someone that disliked his other shows would like it.