Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

"Why did people go apeshit over Voltron?" is a loaded question with multiple answers depending on who you ask. It mainly revolves around the plot completely unraveling in its final two seasons, its uneven pacing issues, and just the general degradation, neglect, and disrespect for its main cast and their respective character arcs the closer the show drew to its ending. Allura and Lance are the ones who suffer the most from this, but everyone gets it in one way or another, Keith, Shiro, Pidge, Hunk, Lotor. Especially Lotor. What happens to Lotor is just amazing in its whiplash inducing narrative cowardice. Literally, "Oh no, we actually made Lotor a genuinely good person. poo poo! Quick! Turn him into Ultra Turbo Hitler with zero build up to it! NOW!"

There's also something to be said (negatively) for killing off your only female POC coded character in the finale and I'm pretty sure Lance and Allura only happen because they turned Lotor into Turbo Hitler but it doesn't matter because she dies and Lance becomes a... farmer. I had fallen off Voltron and whenever I looked back at it all I saw were the terrible shipping wars but it actually had real thematic problems beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't care if they "respect" GoLion or Defender of the Universe, the issue is that they don't understand the genre appeal.

Although at the end NetVoltron does start to take shots at the first Voltron in what I assume they thought was terribly a meta idea but is just kind of annoying instead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One thing that stands out about Voltron not being that special all things told was the fact that the flying magic space castle is arguably a more efficient weapon than Voltron. I also agree with 9GCrow that having the Lions have personalities and the pilots needing to work with that and around that was a really cool idea that they sort of shrug and ignore after a while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, despite not being finished were Third Dimension and/or Voltron Force any good?

Not really. Third Dimension was a weird early stab at 3D and didn't have the charm or character of Beast Wars and Voltron was just a sort of an odd Voltron: The Next Generation with a thin animation budget and a terrible Eurotrash opening rap.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

McTimmy posted:

Voltron Force is bland and bad. Which makes it worse is because you can see the attempts at care in parts but were clearly getting hamstrung by higher-ups.

I'm still a little mad that Allura's niece (from her... brother? Sister? It is unclear) is named 'Larmina' because it feels like the most bored attempt at a vaguely sci-fi/fantasy name ever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Like I said, this is basically the Lotor screwjob in a nutshell. "Oh. O-oooh? Wait, are they really doing this? But that just-- Oh gently caress. They're doing it. lol. lmao, even. Holy poo poo. gently caress this show."

The Lotor thing is interesting because it comes off as a long con initially until you realize it's for serious... and then it's not. It doesn't come off as any kind of set up though, just a hard 180 out of nowhere.

I was reading up on the ending because I'd forgotten about it and hate myself and really am baffled at the generic 'good' endings everybody got (except the POC lady). Hunk likes to eat so he has a cooking empire, despite his actual love being aeronautic engineering. Keith turns the Blade into a humanitarian group which is fine but... still goofy for that group. And it was refreshed in my memory Lance is Cuban so he's... a farmer. Cubanos do that, right? Despite him wanting to be a pilot.

Oh! And the found family breaks up and meets like once a year. So.

This show. Anyway, Allurance forever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Not a drat clue, it's not on anywhere I can watch it legally so I've never bothered to check it out. The internet was mad about at least its first season, from what I recall, but the internet is always mad about childrens cartoons now, so I can't tell if it's legitimately not good, just made some choices that cheesed off long time HTTYD fans, or it's just too woke for sensitive people's feelings somehow.

I dunno.

Search your feelings. The main kids are all different ethnicities, one kid's a paraplegic and another has two moms.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

New one is off to a great start though even with the rather large task of not only explaining much of the basics for people not familiar with Gargoyles(or at the very least probably haven't seen it since they were kids), but also covering stuff from the SLG run that even big fans of the show might not really know(particularly the "Timedancer" stuff that happened with Brooklyn), and also setting up new plots for future issues

It's not bad, certainly. I do wonder if Weisman might work towards Eliza being not a cop, but that might be too ingrained.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't that the standard cut off so the guild actors don't get a pay bump?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Junpei posted:

So this Youtuber I like called Keyan Carlile has started doing retrospectives on Disney sitcoms, and they've been really good so far. His first one was on Lab Rats, then he did one on Mighty Med, then the crossover series between the two, Lab Rats: Elite Force, and he just dropped the first part of one on Wizards of Waverly Place.

Huh. I genuinely didn't know the principal in that show was played by Naruto's dub actor. Neat.

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, who doesn't want to watch an 8 hour video on iCarly, right?

"Here, Spencer has brought in an ostrich. The ostrich is treated like any other in door animal pet, which is patently absurd as an ostrich is not such a pet. This is done for the sake of comedy. Surprisingly there is no subplot with the ostrich and it is never mentioned again. Moving on, Gibby takes off his shirt."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I guess I'm just frittering my day away watching retrospectives on the Lab Rats and adjacent series and Keyan's reaction to finding out that the one guy from Mighty Med was both an NFT bro and attempted murderer and blamed it on his PTSD was great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Watching Keyan's videos mean YouTube thinks I suddenly want to watch a lot of videos of DeGrassi which is not... untrue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Huh. Post Korra? Okay, sure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really ought to re-watch Korra. I was super mixed on it at the time. A show I liked more in theory than in practice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

I rewatched it a year or two ago. It was a good time, but that first season is uneven, season 2 is actually dire and the worst the Avatar franchise has been, and 3 and 4 are great, but it is awkward how it basically has to take away all the unique urban stuff and instead ape the globe trotting part of its predecessor to be more focused and consistent.

One thing I seem to recall - and my memory is kind of bad + having not seen it in a while - is it felt like even the later seasons Korra kinda gets chumped a lot. Beaten up, chained up, that sort of thing. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a hero to be defeated but it felt like that happened more than maybe it needed to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

To be fair they established super early on that Lance was into Allura which gave the series ample time to establish and explore the relationship.

When did they finally do that? The seventh season. Did they lay hints and build up to it so it was finally cathartic after tense 'will they won't they?' No. Are they even together at the end of the series? Also no.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

And this is after like three and a half seasons of Allura having more believable romantic chemistry and development with Lotor to the point where Lance honestly comes off as a creepy jealous incel third wheel in the relationship at times before the "He's suddenly Turbo Hitler" shoe both materialized from nothing and dropped in the same episode.

They absolutely forgot to write Lance and Allura like they were going to wind up together until far too late, but they didn't even wind up together so the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhonne posted:

And even when they were dating in the final season, their relationship consisted mostly of Lance constantly worrying about everything Allura did while she just kind of ignored him while focusing on saving the multiverse. Then she died and Lance spent the rest of his life on a farm growing her favorite space flowers and this was supposed to be a happy ending.

Which is also a weird character assassination of Lance whose passion was genuinely being a pilot but no, he's gonna be a farmer. Which is also uncomfortable because he's Latinx. That's what they do, right?

Hunk also got it bad, too. Cooking was his hobby. He was an engineer, but fat guys like to eat~!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

Voltron didn't know how to do mech fights. I think I went over it in this or an adjacent thread, but it's paradoxically not toyetic enough to tell a good story. After the first season's vague gestures towards unlocking the weapons, character development and battle prowess are never associated with one another.

The toys were pretty good, though. At least the lions. I got them because I'd never gotten 'big' Voltron lions before and they're fun enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sidebar: what's a western show that does mech fights well? Transformers Beast Wars? (Never seen it, but always meant to check it out because of its cult status).

Interesting question. Beast Wars is really good and they do a lot with their CGI but it is also SUPER primitive so it may not impress much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mazerunner posted:

Dinobot was proto-Zuko

I'm not sure what's better, Dinobot quoting Shakespeare or Megatron quoting Revelation.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Technically he quotes Revelation 22:13 and then swings into Tarantino cribbing from Chiba the Bodyguard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Other comics addressed things like internationalism, the coming industrialization, and the avatar getting back into the business of solving problems with spirits. I felt like Legend of Korra never really got very deep or real with its themes. Republic City was a really interesting idea, but the first season was too busy for it and it basically disappeared for the later seasons. The way that Legend of Korra had so little time for looking at the world around it really felt like it was highlighting how small the world was, which I worry will be the biggest problem with all the attempts to make new series or extended universe material. People complain about how earlier seasons of the original show were so episodic, but they did so much work to try making the world seem bigger than just 4 nations.

The whole 'benders control everything and normies are tired of it' was also an interesting road they sort of just ignored after season one. And they did waste a lot of time on sportsbending. And people with a better recollection to it say that mostly what the show pushed was wan centrism which is not the same as balance.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

I'm usually very lenient with media. There's stuff I greatly dislike but i can at least appreciate that it's meant for different tastes or whatever, and even if that's not the case there's very, very little that hits The Incredible 2's tier of "this has no meaning or value and shouldn't exist"
The whole drat movie is just pulling back on the last like fifteen minutes of the original and doing it again. The end point is the exact same. Nothing is gained by no one. There's almost no cool or fun interactions to justify a retread that spins its wheels. There was just loving nothing there.

I feel like an overriding impetus for Incredibles 2 was 'let's have Elasti-Girl do more action things' which is not a bad idea but is not the core of a movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Looney Tunes had to be a big reason people subbed, right? Always something handy for the kids to watch?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most of the big fight scenes are basically dances as it is. Make the entire Sun Warriors sequence into a musical number.

That's sort of what happens in the movie to hilarious results.

"EARTHBENDERS! There is EARTH under your feet!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd forgotten Night's Firebenders need fire present which would have made Azula in a sequel (heh) much less impressive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"The Beach" is also the best beach episode. :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

The ONLY - and I mean ONLY - time I've seen all ages/family media feature an autistic character who is 1) a real-rear end human being and not an alien robot, 2) uses the word "autism" to describe themselves in spoken dialogue, and 3) manages to still be a character with agency, opinions, political awareness, and body autonomy...

Is goddamn Billy from the 2017 version of Power Rangers. The live action movie nobody liked. THE ONLY ONE.

Well, from what I've seen everybody liked the characters it's just it had nothing for the Power Rangers side. The larger point still stands, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay, cool, now bring back DuckTales and all the other shows Bob Chapek murdered.

Why didn't he like DuckTales?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the three season rule tied into the thing I've heard about voice actors in the guild getting an auto pay bump?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. That's like the Iron Man comic panel where he tells Cap Cap needs 'solid dick' but actually real.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah those kind of episodes were fun (and as mentioned it’s not like Looney Tunes didn’t do stuff like that too), Warner Bros did that with a lot of its shows come to think of it (there’s an entire Pinky & The Brain segment that’s literally just a sendup of an old Orson Wells commercial)

This is 90% of Animaniacs. There's an entire segment where the joke is the Warners are being harassed to take a survey on whether they like beans and George Wendt. The kids, they love George Wendt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way that Marvel tried pushing Inhumans over Mutants was...weird. It was nice that they were trying to create new characters for things, since a large part of what makes cape comics feel so stale and stagnant is that all the characters have to be from the 70s, but the Inhumans in general just kinda sucked. They gave the sort of "no pressure superhero origin" as mutants did, but without the social metaphor or drama of the mutants. Marvel wasn't in the mood to do "heroes that are hated/feared by the world around them" anymore. They got movies to sell, no room for major existential angst, which kinda takes the bite out of things. There was no real reason to connect the characters together, and the core group of inhumans were the least relatable group of characters you can imagine and just not very interesting.

And also it didn't help that Marvel worked out a whole plot about the rise of the inhumans literally causing the genocide of mutants so all these new prospectively popular inhuman characters had to fight on team genocide for that.

It's also very hard to overlook that the Inhumans' whole thing is 'genetic superiority' - like explicitly the cooler your power is, the higher up in society you'll be - and they have a literal slave race.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

(Famously, the voice of Scrooge McDuck was Allan Young, who had a long radio and TV career).

It was a delight to run into his voice, so to speak, in the adventure game Curse of Monkey Island basically doing Scrooge's voice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Everyone posted:

I think one reason The X-Files was so big is that people wanted government conspiracies/aliens/etc. to "worry" about.

Then 9-11 happened and "Oh yeah, aliens are bullshit and real terrorists are coming to kill us all."

Also a lot of those conspiracies have pretty racist roots which is very hard for some to ignore now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ups_rail posted:

On the music chat but one weird cultural thing that happned was hootie and the blowfish.

Namely it was weird for you and your dad to own the same album

I lived in South Carolina when Cracked Rear View dropped and I'm pretty sure that CD came free with basically any purchase of... anything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How was the Jurassic Park cartoon?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I like the sensibilities of "eternal teenager" Seth Rogen.

I guess it's a new angle to go more for literal children turtles, not particularly interesting though.

Yeah, like with the last series we just went full over the top and that was cool and the series before that just felt like it hit the perfect middle distance of every iteration of the franchise and current ongoing comic is really good so while I know this is not a property people will let lie fallow I'm not sure what else you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

galenanorth posted:

I also started watching Milo Murphy's Law. It has something which makes me laugh every other episode, and I like the resiliency-related themes. I also started watching Gargoyles, and the first five episodes were like a feature-length movie. It's noticeable how the three comic-relief gargoyles (Broadway, Brooklyn, and Lexington) are animated in the classic Disney style, but there was this movie-like fluidity to it. Lexington was my favorite because of the scene where he tried to ride a motorcycle to find out how the device worked, and his voice actor makes him really sound hurt when he's been betrayed. I had heard about the episode where Broadway accidentally shoots Elisa Maza while playing with a gun, but I was still stunned when it happened, that's like a seventh-and-final season moment right off the bat

Yeah, the Gargoyles opening episodes were packaged as an uncut movie (well, as in 'not chopped into episodes'). I used to have the VHS. I started a rewatch not too long ago and other than Eliza being a cop it all holds up.