Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think Korra is overall positive but there's weirdness through the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

It's hard to rally back after you put a scene in where your hero fucks up so bad it gets all your past lives killed again. Seriously I'm pretty sure at least 50%of all Korra hate stems from that scene of Aang getting erased from the Avatar Cycle

Korra does seem to straddle the line from 'screwing up' which is fine and even character building to 'incompetent' which is not so much but that's the fault of the writers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Countblanc posted:

am i misunderstanding or is this just how you could describe every piece of fiction? aren't all characters "the fault of the writers"? korra isn't a real person. or do you mean like, it could be a problem of directors or meddling execs?

Mostly it comes across to me that the writers didn't know what they were doing sometimes. In other words they thought they were writing Korra as having just screwed up but taking a step back and looking at the whole picture it comes off as they wrote her as incompetent which I don't think was the point because that would be weird.

And Rand is right, she gets beat up a lot. Whether or not to an unseemly degree I leave for the reader to judge but I kind of lean towards yes.

As to the graphic novels my favorite one is Azula on her own, not even able to run a cell of dedicated Ozai loyalists because she fundamentally doesn't understand people because nobody in her life ever tried to understand her.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always figured eventually we'd get some sort of paradigm shift where everybody was some sort of bender.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beau DeMayo, show runner for X-Men '97 has been fired without any reason and he's basically scrubbed his social media presence: https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/x-men-97-creator-beau-demayo-fired-1235939810/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Occasionally dipping into old X-Men's, basically at random, and there's some wild stuff here. Randomly checked into an episode featuring someone who's basically Storm's ex-wife.

That was the original intent in the comics but the Marvel EiC of the time said no to the gays.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

At least Butch was cribbing from good stuff, although if he wanted to up his game he really should have gone for the Romita Sr. stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

I will admit having watched a few episodes out of curiosity the characters are kind of fun at least, though it’s still basically Fetishes: The Show (moreso than your average spy series I mean)

Do we know if the original English cast is coming back for this?

Jennifer Hale said none of them are returning. She heard the production probably didn't want to pay union rates.