Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

CN didn't do anything to it; it had a decently long run but was never particularly successful. Genndy left to do more work in the film industry after Sym-Bionic Titan ended.

I'm probably gonna get beaten for this, but I never really liked Tartakovsky, and honestly couldn't see the appeal of shows like Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack.

Having said that, Sym-bionic Titan was awesome, and it's tragic that the one show he put out that I liked happened to get cancelled after one season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

EasyEW posted:

I don't know of any other place to put this: Saban and CW are pulling the plug on the Vortexx block, which is going to be replaced by with what looks like lifestyle shows for teens. I never actually watched it (since I am horribly, horribly old) but unless something dramatic goes down, this marks the end of Saturday morning cartoons as we once knew them on American broadcast television. Inevitable, all things considered, but dammit, the world I grew up in is dead...

1. Saban still owns stuff? I thought he sold off all his properties over a decade ago?
2. There was still a Saturday Morning cartoon block? I thought those were killed...also a decade ago?

What did Vortexx consist of?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

I think Vortexx consisted of reruns of Justice League, Dragonball Kai, Yugioh, and a couple other things you thought stopped showing on TV years ago. I think he bought back Power Rangers, too.

Wow, that's actually not a pretty bad line up.

quote:

Didn't he go to prison or something at some point for some kind of shady dealings? I can't find anything about it with a quick google search but I could've sworn I remember hearing something like that in the mid-2000s.

Prison? I don't think so. The last I heard from him was that he sold all his assets in 2003 or something to work on some new broadcast company (or something to that effect) in Europe.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Since Y'all were discussing Scooby Doo a few pages back...

I wasn't ever really too hot on the original series, nor most of the billions of spinoffs, movies* and reboots that came after it. However, the most recent show on CN, Mystery Inc. is absolutely wonderful. It's funny, clever, well written, has a nice overarching plot, it's not only a good Scooby Doo, it's a good show period. I think it's in my top 5 for best shows currently on CN. Though there's a lot of episodes I need to catch up on. More of this please, and less of whatever was on Kids WB then moved to CN.

*Zombie Island and the Boo Brothers were pretty good, actually.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

I've got bad news for you, pal.

Well, this weekend just keeps getting better and better.

Fine, it's one of the best shows on CN that's aired in the past 5 years.

Happy?! :mad:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 9, 2014

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

If it makes you feel better, it ended - it wasn't just "cancelled", it ran its story out as planned.

Well that's good to hear. Cause it definitely deserved to have a proper finale.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Acquire Currency! posted:

Goddamn do I hate Scooby Doo

You mean everything except Mystery Inc., right? :colbert:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sockser posted:

Frank wasn't for a long time, but he's been doing it since Zombie Island, I think.

He's also only 68, which is much younger than I expected.

I believe Scooby was done by Billy West in Zombie Island (who btw, made a HORRIBLE Shaggy, imo).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So on this page, I learned that there are 2 Scooby Doo series and an Arsenio Hall talk show that I had no idea existed. Go figure.

Why is there yet another Scooby Doo series coming out? And they cancel Mystery Inc. for this monstrosity?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Speaking of Transformers, whatever you think of the movies, I do think it's cool that they got Peter Cullen to play Optimus. But what's always bothered me was why did they never get Frank Welker to play Megatron? I mean, he's still alive...isn't it?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Saw the pilot for Over the Garden Wall, and have to say I'm not really feeling it. I thought it was gonna be Flapjack in an 1800s bayou setting, but it's not. In fact, it had practically no comedic elements and appears to be a kind of creepy, and relatively "serious" animated show. I'm not really sure how to feel about that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You know what show I used to like but have kinda soured on as it went on? Adventure Time.

It was a pretty funny show when it started and I loved how it had tons of innuendo for a kids show. But I started getting irritated once they started going overboard with the dumb messageboards/internet references. Sure, making a few jokes here and there regarding internet humor is one thing, but it seems like the writers write them with the mindset of "hey, look! We're making JOKES ABOUT THE INTERNET! Bet all you people who post about things online are gonna talk about a lot and how it's so cool and hip that we're so self-referential eh? EH?"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I saw a few clips of Niko and the Sword of Light, and I can't really get into it. Not a fan of the art style and it comes off as this very weird hybrid between flash and traditional animation. The comparisons to Avatar seem a little too on the nose. The designs on the lead characters head is very similar to Aang's.

Also, holy gently caress, Jim Cummings is in this? I haven't heard the guy appear in any show in years. Thought he retired or something.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's in a lot of things. He has a good range so it can just be hard to recognize that it's him.

Macaluso posted:

Jim Cummings is literally everywhere. You probably heard the guy in something recently and didn't realize it, he's like, voice actor elite!

I dunno, I'm pretty good at recognizing voice actors (been following the industry for 15 years now). The better explanation is that I haven't watched/played any of those things he's been in recently. But yeah, the man is amazing.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well we certainly can't have a Flapjack discussion without linking to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHyU0craHKg

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I agree that the existence of Ronald Reagan alone made the 80s lovely...

...HOWEVER, one thing that no one can dispute is that it was the decade that had probably the golden age of cartoon music (followed closely by the 90s for the most part).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

Nah, it's just that a lot of the better 90s show intros were attached to some crazy garbage so no one remembers or ever saw them. Shows that only lasted like half a season before they ran out of steam and then died for the rest of the season. 80s garbage kids shows were at least good at the two things they were designed to do: hold kids' attention and entertain enough to sell poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_uSvCBtMF0

I still hum this to myself sometimes

E: My power ranking is: '90s, '00s, '80s, '10s, Scooby-Doo, '70s

This is something me and my crew talk about a lot because we're terrible people who have no sense of good or bad.

Points for choosing that rocking theme. :hfive:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

uncleKitchener posted:

Anyone remember SWAT Kats? I remember it being a fun show, but haven't watched it in more than a decade, so I don't know if it has aged well or not, considering it's been more than 10 years since it last aired. I never watched the whole show since I was too distracted with HBO Spawn.

In my opinion, I think the show holds up pretty well. Of course, when I say that, I mean about as well as an action/adventure show about anthropomorphic animals can hold up. The show has pretty good writing, minus the writers' annoying attempt to use words like "crud" and "bingo" repeatedly. The animation quality varies in the first season, ranging from mediocre to pretty good, while the second season is mostly pretty good. The most "extreme" thing about SWAT Kats is probably the music, which is mostly 90s metal, but it's actually rather fitting, and doesn't come off as particularly obnoxious, along with the overall score which contains a mix of standard synth. And the show was surprisingly okay with many characters straight up dying, which for me, is always a plus in a kids show.

readingatwork posted:

To be fair the first and last seasons weren't awful. There are far worse series that could be resurrected from the dead.

Some of the later seasons of Ben 10 when he becomes a teenager are legit good. Writing improved substantially and was actually quite clever. Especially with that dude who's a parody of Sean Hannity. Which series was that?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

It even goes back further than that because iirc CN was loving with the schedule of goddamn JLU.

Thankfully, despite their attempts at screwing over the show, it had a really good run and a solid ending.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So is there anything on the level of Avatar: The Last Airbender on currently?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Can we talk about how awesome Hey Arnold was? Loved the show as a kid, still really enjoy it as an adult. I always wondered where the show would have gone had it continued on the original planned pace with the movie ending and a continuation series.

I really didn't like Hey Arnold much after about probably season 3 or so, but this is probably my favorite scene of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5X5vqt2n-k

Everybody's such an rear end in a top hat. It's glorious.

Gann Jerrod posted:

This is my favorite video featuring an old Nick game show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDuyl23BN9A

Apologies if I'm missing something completely obvious, but what did that one kid get wrong when he answered Batman, Indiana Jones and Freddy Kreuger (at 1:24)?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

What kind of childhood did you have where you see Freddy Krueger as a hero?

Ohhhh. I misheard what he was asking. I thought he was just saying name 3 characters that appeared in that mini game.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Getting back to the Avatar: TLA/Korra discussion, I do wonder how big a factor episode limits had on the quality of Korra. The first season was what, 12 episodes? The characters and story in TLA were able to develop nicely over the course of 20 episodes. Korra felt unbelievably rushed. From her introduction, to her relationship with Mako, to losing her powers and then taking down whoever the hell the bad guy was. Unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be), the show wasn't doing too hot in the ratings and by midseason, Nick told the creators that there wasn't going to be another season after this, so they just crammed in a bunch of poo poo and said gently caress it.

But even if so, that's only a part of the problem with LoK. Most of the main characters were okay, but Korra was annoying as hell, and didn't come off particularly likable. Some people may argue that she had Aang's carefree attitude, which is probably true, but unlike Aang, she came off as ten times more obnoxious. One of the biggest no-nos of any medium is that you can't have an unlikable main character.

Also, TLA was just generally directed way better than Korra. Compare the pilot episodes of each show. In TLA, there's this very nice flow to everything. For lack of a better description, it was directed more like a movie than an episode. There was just a lot of style to it, with the full theme playing right at the beginning(which pissed me off to no end that Nick would give that relatively lame, edited version considering it was one of the few good intro themes at the time, and frankly, since) as the camera slowly pans the environment to reveal Katara and Sokka fishing in their boat, as everything was silent. I know this may not sound like much but I just absolutely loved how it was handled. There was a certain feeling of seriousness to it. That it wasn't gonna be like most of the kids shows. Right from the start, you felt like this was gonna be a grand adventure.

None of that happened with Korra. The pilot in comparison, lacks the very carefully crafted style of TLA, and starts off all manic, goofy and crazy, as if it was just some typical episode. You never get a sense that there was gonna be any real major storyline that you'll find yourself giving a poo poo about. And in fact that was true. Compared to the way TLA built up the first season that commenced with that amazingly epic war between Admiral Zhao's armada and the Southern (or was it Northern?) Water tribe, Korra's was small potatoes. Not even in the same ballpark.

Then there was the whole issue with the setting. Again, TLA's ancient Chinese era universe was much more interesting to me than Korra's weird steampunk one. Though this is more of a personal preference I guess. I preferred the whole mystical, centuries old style world more often than technology based ones (especially those regarding steampunk). It just felt really strange to see the kinds of poo poo you saw in TLA in a more "modern" setting.

I will admit that I have not seen much beyond the first season of Korra, as that season really soured me, but I'm fairly confident that I would still be less impressed with it than TLA. The latter may not be perfect (hello season 3!), but it's more good than bad and when it's good it's really good.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

It cannot be overstated how huge of a money-printing machine sonic is

The only weird thing about sonic honestly is that they keep on trying to appeal to their more venerated fans

Like soniccycle.jpg only exists because sega approaches their golden ip where they keep trying to rehabilitate sonics image before being lazy worthless fucks and half-assing it yet again

Honestly I don't know why they do this, they build what are essentially brand new engines for their games they use once or twice before redesigning everything again or switching developers for no loving reason

Honestly if I was segas CEO I would annualize the gently caress out of sonic, focus super heavily on the cartoon tie-ins and lean even more heavy on the mythos while simultaneously making it even more of a shameless DBZ ripoff

Yeah sure gently caress it add hundreds of new furry friends for sonic to interact with, just make it all one completely shameless crash grab supported by some smaller dev house turning out annual sonic games made on the cheap with the exact same mediocre engine year in and out that are all of the same lower quality, bolstered by the fact that sonics dumb fuckin face is plastered everywhere

Rerelease sonics 1-3 all the loving time so kids get essentially suckered in by exposure to both the "good" stuff (sonic 3 and knuckles was the only good one tbh) and the dumb cartoons and poo poo and because kids are morons they'll buy the games and the dolls and the comics and whatever the gently caress else sega dangles in front of their faces that has sonics face on it

It's the fact that sega makes a token effort with sonic that makes it so weird when they could and at this point probably should treat sonic like a licensed property like spongebob that only exists to make money hand over fist by essentially ripping off 8-year-olds

I'd really like to see how much money Sega makes off Sonic in animation and merchandising, compared to how much they make for just the games (cause after Lost World and Sonic Boom, I'm pretty sure the Sonic name is at an all time low).

quote:

Oh and Skeletor was always the best part of He-man. It's why almost everyone can do his voice if only to do a nice "I WILL DESTROY YOU, HE-MANN"

quote:

I will second the fact Skeletor was the best part of the show. Just a little cheese but a complete ruthless rear end in a top hat. I still love his almost gleeful "Oh, and He-Man......I LIED!!" bit from their first fight.

quote:

Skeletor was the best part of the 00s He-Man. He was just a constant dick the entire show. Also great was the flashback episode about Man At Arms brother where they had to figure out a way to say that two characters had sex.

Yes. Skeletor was the best character.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

apparently there's a Kickstarter to bring back SWAT KATS, kinda hope it succeeds cause we need more more Action focused cartoons right now

I legit loved SWAT KATS, but a reboot would be a terrible idea. The show wouldn't fly in today's age. Not to mention the creators last attempt at making an original show didn't work out so well...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

It's oddly appropriate that the show ended because a proto-furry started stalking the voice actress for Babs Bunny to the point where she dropped out of the show entirely.

That's strange though cause she went from voicing an anthropomorphic rabbit to an anthropomorphic uh....cat(?) thing. Furthermore, why would quitting the show do anything? If the dude was already obsessed with her, you'd think he would still be obsessed regardless if she stopped voicing that character.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

don Jaime posted:

Production overlapped on Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, because both Charlie Adler and Joe Alaskey left in a huff when they didn't get plum roles on the new show. Alaskey crawled back after an episode; Adler never did and was replaced by John Kassir. But with exception of a special or two, all regular Tiny Toons episodes premiered before Animaniacs did.

Wait, I'm confused with the wording here. Adler and Alasky were angry that they didn't get prominent roles on Animaniacs so they protested by leaving Tiny Toons?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

don Jaime posted:

Correct. They had the same agent and the agent screwed up. Alaskey sucked it up and ultimately managed to get Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries. Adler never worked for them again.

Huh, interesting. I guess that would explain why Buster sounded completely different in that Christmas episode.

don Jaime posted:

Man, I wouldn't wish Cow and Chicken on my worst enemy.

Cow and Chicken was awesome. :colbert:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Camp Lazlo was bland as gently caress. Nothing like Rocko's Modern Life.

I only watched a few episodes of Class of 3000, but I thought it had some pretty decent writing.

And I probably would have liked My Gym Partner's a Monkey a lot more if it wasn't for the fact that Tom Kenny has like the most grating voice in the industry.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Shrek made more money than god so everybody that made cartoons tried their hand at crass irreverent jerk-rear end protagonists and pop-culture references after that.

Wait, Shrek? I'm not a fan of that franchise, but Shrek wasn't a jerk. He just wanted to be left alone.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

Don't forget about Drunk History.

Also, saying Trevor Noah won't be as popular implies that Jon Stewart was at the exact same level of fame when he started The Daily Show as when he ended. It also implies that no other late night show as been able to carry on with a new host.

Well Larry Wilmore ain't really lighting the ratings charts on fire.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Here's a promo for that Wabbit show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwrhmvR41kc

They cancelled the Looney Tunes Show for this?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Was talking to a friend and somehow the subject of Generator Rex came up. I saw 2 or 3 random out of order episodes a while back and it seemed...decent.

Been wanting to check it out proper. Worth a watch?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

OMG.

Speaking of which, these -uh...direct-to-DVD? - movies are pretty good, honestly. They're one level below Mystery Inc. imo.And they have pretty great animation.

Also, the new series isn't as horrible as I thought it'd be. It's over the top, wacky humor, which I don't mind, personally.

Also, too. I saw a clip of the first Scooby Doo live action movie, and Velma is HOT. She seems to be very popular in nerd culture, but I never saw the appeal. That short hair plus her chubbiness made her inferior to Daphne in my eyes. But now we have one instance at least where Velma is in fact, way hotter than Daphne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf4RjsdJE0I

Why is she wearing such a revealing top anyway?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't mean it like that. :mad:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

I just got the DVDs too. The extras make it sound like there was a lot of mutual competition and dislike between them and the Batman people. The extras talk about them wanting character designs rounder than Bruce Timm's style and that they initially wanted the wings to stay up all the time so they wouldn't look like batman's cape. And they really jerk themselves off about Xanatos being very similar to Bruce Wayne but a way better and more interesting character. Bruce Timm apparently called Gargoyles "silly namby pamby fairy -ale stuff" too.

I'm just watching "Deadly Force" now and man that cat is just stone loving cold. Doesn't even get off the couch after everything that happens.

Sucks to hear Timm didn't like Gargoyles. Sure, the series went to crap in the last season, but it was a great show up until that point. I can't think of many other shows at the time that were as dark as Batman: TAS, aside from the first few seasons of X-men and Mighty Max, I guess.

edit: Oh! And Pirates of Dark Water.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 25, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

From a few pages ago, but if we're going to have a revival of a show by Genndy Tartakovsky, it should be Symbiotic Titan. I was never a huge fan of the guy's work and his directing style, but ST was legit good (ironically cause it had very few actual Tartakovsky-isms).

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 13, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mycot posted:

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/98164760488/good-newsbad-news-batman-fans

It's kind of a miracle in itself that Samurai Jack didn't get sold to a cheese company over 11 years.

What the gently caress? What is the purpose of doing such a thing? I mean, okay from CN's perspective they get paid, but why would the U.S. govt buy such a thing? The only thing I could think of is if they were dying to put ST on PBS, but aside from that...?

mycot posted:

Titan is pretty different in storytelling compared to his other stuff, much more conventional (more dialogue, more characterization, a more explicit main plot). It's easy to see why someone that disliked his other shows would like it.

Yup, pretty much.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Really? I feel like ST's attempts at humor didn't mesh at all with the more serious stuff and robot fights. Like, I get the feel that Tartakovsky was going for, but it just didn't work (for me at least). Which is a shame because I will agree that the actual plot and robot fights and stuff was pretty good.

So I guess what I'm saying reading back over my post is that Symbionic Titan really could've benefited from being split into "serious" and "comedy" episodes the same way someone complained about earlier with Samurai Jack.

I don't recall seeing much comedy in the series though, aside from that dancing scene, if that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Huh, somehow missed that.

So, somewhat random topic. You guys ever seen Heathcliff? Was one of my favorite shows growing up. I came upon some episodes on youtube, and one thing in particular really struck out for me. The animation, in many episodes, was pretty drat good. Quite beyond anything that I recall seeing in the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWi4k3DLxNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1auXo6jx64g

While I loved this show as a kid, I honestly don't remember ever talking to anyone at school about it. Apparently, it had a pretty good run, with over 80 episodes, so presumably someone other than me was watching. Of course, you had shows like Transformers, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, He-man, etc. All shows that were way more popular than Heathcliff, yet looked like poo poo. In fact, I honestly can't think of a single show offhand from that period with animation that compares. It's so clean, vibrant, and fluid. It's mind-blowing in a way.

Of course, it didn't seem to last. Not sure exactly if it was cause Dic wound up changing animation studios for the second season, or that they enacted serious budget cuts (or a combination of both), but the episodes wound up looking as crappy as its 80s animated brethren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyezZbt3gUE

Shame really.