Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Fishylungs posted:

I think episodes like Zanzibar or the Christmas finale would still hold up pretty well. I wouldn't be suprised if some of them didn't though.

Both Zanzibar and I HAVE NO SON are the best episodes of the series and still hold up well.

I always wanted an avatar of Ralph Bighead hitting his head on the desk going NEVER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Shadow The Rat posted:

Rocko working for the phone sex line and poorly reading from the script, at least at a younger age, slayed me.

I also found that quite humorous. One of the best bits is when Rocko is buying a new TV, and the sales machine keeps denying his request.

MISTER SEEENSIIIBLLLEEEE!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Meeble posted:

People may hate on it for not being "dark and edgy" but Batman: The Brave and the Bold is loving awesome. Silver Age Batman is just as good as crazy, brooding Batman :colbert:

Aquaman is the best character on the show.

And they can do "edgy" batman whenever they want - see Chill of the Night.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Khurath posted:

By far the show I miss the most is Megas XLR, an action/comedy show that was on Cartoon Network a few years back. In the distant future, humanity is at war with an alien species. The humans are losing badly, and in the course of the war a super advanced prototype mecha from the future gets sent back in time. The robot winds up the hands of Coop, a gluttonous slacker in present day New Jersey, who promptly mods the entire thing: he replaces the head with his car, paints rockin' flames on the armor... pretty much what you would expect. He also mods the control systems, so that when the future folks (humans and aliens) come back looking for it, Coop is the only person able to understand the new controls. Employing skills garnered from years of video games and watching pro wrestling, Coop beats back the aliens (leveling Jersey City in the process, but eh).

The show was a fantastic love letter to giant robot shows of the past, with parodies of nearly every iconic giant robot/alien you can think of. Naturally, Coop beats the crap out of all of them (flattening Jersey City most weeks in the process), employing every kind of attack you can imagine and all of this is to an appropriately rocking soundtrack.

It lasted for about two seasons, and ends right after a goddamn fantastic episode that opens up a whole new realm of possible stuff to clobber. I'd love to see DVDs of this show, but after so many years I've just resigned myself to the fact that they're probably never going to happen.

I dig giant robots. :unsmith:

I too wish I could do this:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
What other show could have a B-list home improvement guy like Norm Abrahm guest star? And what kids are going to know who he is, other than those whose grandfathers made them watch New Yankee Workshop on the weekends?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

404GoonNotFound posted:

^^^ In the series finale, no less!

They talked about this on the DVD; it was basically a bet by Jean MacCurdy (sp) with some CBS executive as to who could get the most obscure guest star in their shows. The Freakazoid guys went with Norm Abrahm. I forget who CBS went with (I think it was one of the guys from 60 Minutes or some other news guy), but it was even more obscure and they lost the bet. They weren't planning on it being the series finale, but, well, hiatus executive decisions make fools of us all.

(and yes, my grandfather watched nothing but New Yankee Workshop on Sunday mornings).

"You're an evil man!"

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

IRQ posted:

Holy gently caress, I would totally sign back up for netflix if I could watch these on my TV.

Got a Wii, Xbox, or PS3? Then use the built-in XBox service or the discs for the Wii/PS3 and you too can watch them on your TV of choice.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

MadScientistWorking posted:

You know speaking of Duck Dodgers did you guys know that Tom Jones did a complete version of the song?

He did? Where?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm a bit worried by Daffy's voice to be honest but some of physical stuff they were showing in the Looney Tunes Show looked great.

Daffy is likely voiced by Joe Alaskey, who's been voicing Daffy for 20 something years. I think he'll be fine.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
There's also a lot of shakycam in that Firebreather cartoon. I thought cartoons were safe from that crap.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Lillard has said that he'd like to be "Shaggy for Life" in interviews. I wouldn't blame him; he's a good carrier of the torch. Let him have it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Rockin' the SID music here. Wow.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dr Christmas posted:

Robotonomy is basically Superjail with Robots instead of people and a high school instead of jail.

Nothing wrong with that, Superjail was awesome.

Also, this has Patton Oswalt, so it has that going for it too.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Neo Helbeast posted:

It's Pinkie Pie in disguise. She wore this through a city... and was recognized instantly.

Haybob Trenchcoat tested... poorly with the target demographic.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I just watched Gumball. I haven't laughed this hard since the coffee bean episode of Regular Show.

ALLIGATORS ON A TRAIN!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Discovery Kids went on for years without people giving a poo poo. Is The Hub in that much danger?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Freakazoid is the only hsow that could ever pull off having Jack Valenti and Norm Abram as guest stars with a straight face.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TwoPair posted:

Holy poo poo, that Luthor kid made me lose it. If anybody's on the fence about watching this video, just cut to 20 seconds in.

fake edit: Holy poo poo, Tim Curry voiced the villain?

Was he really that hard up for money back then? Look at his IMDB history in the 90s for a string of... interesting things.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

No, see, that thing there is a thing of awesome and I will not hear otherwise. And the long version is even better.

I meant more that inbetween doing awesome movies (and guesting in series like Animaniacs), Tim did a lot of low-rent stuff, like Syber Squad. He was EVERYWHERE for a period of time. Need an evil-sounding English guy? Go hire Tim.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
One of my many regrets is not seeing Tim live in Spamalot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

raditts posted:

I watched a couple episodes of Rocko on Netflix a month or two back, and boy has that show not aged well.

The cream is still extremely good, though. Zanzibar and "I Have No Son!" could be played on repeat and never get very old.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The art style looks like it's trying to ape Beyond Good and Evil without any of the charm or... style.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

404GoonNotFound posted:

And yet, the series itself was oddly well written. It's mind-boggling, really.

That show is a perfect example of a mixed bag. Under a different set of priorities it could have been great, like the original, but it just falls apart under scrutiny.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

muscles like this? posted:

Argh, I just realized the joke of Henry Winkler on a shark jumping episode!

Not just Henry Winkler, but also Ted McGinley.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I don't think anyone who liked TF:A will like Rescue Bots. What awful garbage.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
If George Lowe can spend all that time recording bumpers for WZLX he can come back as Space Ghost. :colbert:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Neo Helbeast posted:

Reminder Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 2 starts on sunday.

I chewed through the series on Netflix last weekend. I'd put the quality as around something similar to the first run of Justice League. It's not bad, but it's not genre defining either.

The guy they got to do Tony Stark does a pretty good RDJ impression, as does Fred Tasasciore with a Lou Ferrigno-esque Hulk.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It reminds me of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and I imagine it'll spawn similar arguments.

I really liked it and thought it had about the right blend of funny and serious.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Not even Space Ghost calling him a slacker could deter McCracken.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TwoPair posted:

Dwayne McDuffie died. R.I.P.

Yeah, I thought the original series was also definitely superior to pretty much all its sequel series.

McDuffie was responsible for most of the newer series that people don't seem to like, though. He wasn't really involved in the original series. He also did considerable work on Omniverse before he died, but his wife Charlotte Fullerton has mostly picked up the writing reigns.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TwoPair posted:

Really? Oh. I thought he was really involved in the original and was dead before Omniverse was even in the planning stages. Egg on my face, then. :blush:

Well then I guess I retract my previous statement on the matter, but I agree with you in that the first series was definitely better than any of its successors, and a lot of the heart's been missing from the show for a while now.

Well, "the original" is just plain-jane Ben 10.

Then you have the Alien Force / Ultimate Alien, then you have Omniverse, and Dwayne's involvement started in Alien Force. There were distinct change in tone amongst these three, even though they're all the same continuity. Dwayne's work on Omniverse was more big picture/concept stuff; a lot of the execution was left to Charlotte when she became story editor after his death. She talked about it quite a bit when she was on Rob Paulsen's podcast.

I've only cursorily watched Ben 10 (the original series and the Alien Force continuity), but I believe McDuffie tried to add some of his Justice League style to the show and it didn't really seem to take; the tone is just too different. The show hugely appeals to young boys and is a marketer's money dream, though, hence why it keeps on going. I love Max Tennyson though; if they made a show just about him I'd tune in every week.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 20, 2012

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Both Tron and Motorcity have been sent to the Siberia of timeslots, midnight and 12:30 AM respectively on Monday mornings. Assumedly to ride out the rest of their produced episodes.

An ignominious end to two shows I really liked. What a bummer.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

FrostedButts posted:

I think I heard somewhere that Tron: Uprising was intended to be a one season show with 18 episodes. That might explain why we haven't heard any news of its cancellation.

That's what I've heard too, but that doesn't warrant putting it at 12 AM monday morning.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

readingatwork posted:

^^^ Yes. Yes it was.

Personally I love the censored version. Beeping swearing has always made it funnier for me.

Beeping swears is only funny when you can use some imagination, and unfortunately it was pretty clear what words Dexter an Dee Dee were saying at any given time. One case where bleeps doesn't make it as funny; I'd rather have just heard it uncensored. That's half the appeal.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck: How does that even work?

Charlie Adler voices a recurring character in Omniverse, I'm sure once the board/writing team knew of it someone on staff was a fan of Cow and Chicken and slipped it in.

It was a pretty good reference, I dug it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It's already been renewed for a second season.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFURxVE1jJE

Bat-Mite as a trans-dimensional comic book nerd was so great.

That clip left out the best part of that gag.

And this time... he's a girl!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYqj_WG_GE

THE HAMMER! :black101:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Acquire Currency! posted:

What in the name of Christ is Him supposed to be from Powerpuff Girls.

A Blue Meanie, except he's red.

Also Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The difference between the actual special itself and the Ringo Starr promo video was pretty noticeable, in terms of fluidity/poly count.